PDA

View Full Version : Hair up or hair down?

Wavybrunetteuk
July 24th, 2017, 08:10 AM
So I have heard two different pieces of advice for growing hair. One was to leave it down as much as you can. The other was to have it up as much as you can? Which one would you recommend?

These days I leave it down at home and put it in a simple top knot or ballerina bun (with the help of a hair donut (no bobby pins)) for work. DBF also accidentally leans on my hair on a daily basis, and it's only APL hair!

Andthetalltrees
July 24th, 2017, 08:26 AM
Really it's personal preference in the end. Some people's hair only can grow if it's being protected by updos, Some people like me can't stand their hair up so I wear mine down 95% of the time. My hair doesn't get my way or get damaged from being loose, But others will tell you otherwise.

Wavybrunetteuk
July 24th, 2017, 08:33 AM
Really it's personal preference in the end. Some people's hair only can grow if it's being protected by updos, Some people like me can't stand their hair up so I wear mine down 95% of the time. My hair doesn't get my way or get damaged from being loose, But others will tell you otherwise.

When I was growing it last year, I had my hair up in a ponytail every single day! When it finally reached CBL last February, I even straightened it every two days so that I could wear it down. My colleagues would even ask me "why do you wear it down all the time now?" Because I can! Haha! But if it really is damaging, I'll wear it up more.

It's just that I'm just like you, I dislike my hair up too; I love having the movement in my hair. But I'd really like to get it to my goal faster.

Hairkay
July 24th, 2017, 08:36 AM
That's all up to how your hair grows best. |I've got tight curls that have a tendency to get dry. It's is okay until it's hanging on my shoulders and back. Then it breaks off due to rubbing on my shoulders, collar, back etc. It stayed the same length for many years. Then I came here and tried out some updos. I'd already decided that deep conditioning regularly would beneficial and started that the year before. Now my hair has finally got to get past the bsl.

Oh and I'm used to not having hair bothering the back neck because I keep it plaited/braided so I have a low tolerance to leaving my hair loose often.

lisamt
July 24th, 2017, 08:37 AM
I think it just depends on your hair. If you notice that your hair gets caught in things often, or if you notice damage from friction while down, you could try to wear it up more often. For some people protective styles are necessary but for some they are not. For me, I don't notice any excessive damage from wearing it down, and I don't really like to wear my hair up everyday because I love my hair and I feel like I've spent so much time on it so I would like to be able to see it more :D

Wavybrunetteuk
July 24th, 2017, 08:43 AM
I think it just depends on your hair. If you notice that your hair gets caught in things often, or if you notice damage from friction while down, you could try to wear it up more often. For some people protective styles are necessary but for some they are not. For me, I don't notice any excessive damage from wearing it down, and I don't really like to wear my hair up everyday because I love my hair and I feel like I've spent so much time on it so I would like to be able to see it more :D

I see... no I don't see a lot of damage, it's just me being a worrywart. That's good to know I don't NEED to wear it up, because I honestly don't like it up :(

spidermom
July 24th, 2017, 08:56 AM
For me, it made more sense to wear mine up as much as possible from around BSL to longer lengths. Otherwise, it would float around and get into everything. I even had strands get yanked out from getting caught in that little space between the light switch cover plate and the wall as I was walking by. I grew out to my goal of classic length but now have shoulder length hair so that I can enjoy wearing it down.

bparnell75
July 24th, 2017, 09:00 AM
I have worn my hair up almost constantly for more than 6 years. It feels like an animal on my neck and hot to boot. But I do the bun fall and show it off when asked.

Wavybrunetteuk
July 24th, 2017, 09:04 AM
I have worn my hair up almost constantly for more than 6 years. It feels like an animal on my neck and hot to boot. But I do the bun fall and show it off when asked.

That makes a lot of sense.

Wavybrunetteuk
July 24th, 2017, 09:05 AM
For me, it made more sense to wear mine up as much as possible from around BSL to longer lengths. Otherwise, it would float around and get into everything. I even had strands get yanked out from getting caught in that little space between the light switch cover plate and the wall as I was walking by. I grew out to my goal of classic length but now have shoulder length hair so that I can enjoy wearing it down.

Oh blimey! I don't blame you. Hmm well BSL is my goal, so I'll see when I get there. Thank you for your reply!

Groovy Granny
July 24th, 2017, 10:43 AM
Wear it the way that makes YOU happy!

Be gentle with it (no damage ties etc), and aware of repeated styles/hair accessories that 'could' cause damage.
If you notice any changes, just switch up your bun/ponytail placement, hair toy etc

I wear it up in hot weather and down (half up or ponytail) in colder weather with a variety of hair accessories; my hair is fine, wispy, hip length silver... and I have no damage, and never tangle. :shrug:

Have fun with it, and express yourself as you like to :cheer:

*Wednesday*
July 24th, 2017, 10:45 AM
If your hair currently is not at BSL, wearing it down is not an issue. Once you get to waist, it may be wise to wear it up more often than not IF you want to get to extreme lengths, beyond waist (Hip, TBL, BCL+). The issue is not just it getting caught in things, it is “length retention.” Keeping what you have grown. The ends of the hair are the oldest, fragile, worn and vulnerable to breaking, split ends and just weathering. Hair, once it is very long is prone to tangling which requires more hair manipulation. Every Long Hair does not want to detangle more often than necessary because there is a high chance of breaking during detangling if not done carefully. The less you need to detangle the better. Keeping the ends tucked in, in a bun or braid will help keep long hair healthy looking.

Wavybrunetteuk
July 24th, 2017, 10:49 AM
Thank you everyone!

Corvana
July 24th, 2017, 02:02 PM
IDK man do what you want lol. I like to keep my hair down (except when I'm hot) for the first 2-3 days after I wash because that's when it looks nicest, plus it's more slippery and won't stay up as easily anyway. It's still pretty short, so it's not like it matters that much.

And I've had waist (or almost) and almost never put it up except in the occasional pigtail bun. But I ended up cutting it due to boredom with it, which I hope to avoid by learning cool and easy updos.

If you're worried, then put it up maybe one more day a week than you do already. Split the difference. I figure for now just having it up (or half up) for half the week is better than not having it up at all, plus it's getting my sensitive noggin used to the weight of updos more slowly so I might not get headaches from buns later on. That last part is just a hopeful thing, though, it's untested XD Worth a shot, though, right?

peachyleshy
July 24th, 2017, 02:10 PM
good advice Groovy Granny!
I'm trying to wear my hair up more (actually I'm seeing how long I can for an unspecified amount of time) and I can tell I'm getting so many less tangles! So of course that will help in growing it long. Also it helps me to not focus on the length so much. But when I feel like wearing it down, then I want to! If I want to use my pearl curling wand every few months, then I should. I just want to have fun and enjoy my hair or else I think I will get tired of it. On the other hand, I know I have to care for it and protect it if I'm going to reach my goal. So I may have to do something better for my hair more often than what I want to do on a whim that could hurt it.

Anje
July 24th, 2017, 03:06 PM
I'd say the majority find their hair grows better, with less thinning on the ends, if they wear it up or at least braided. There are occasionally people who are exceptions who can't seem to put their hair up without pulling it out, but I think that with good ways of securing the hair and good styles most people are better off wearing it up if they want to grow longer.

Mine was always up or braided. But I get a little batty if my hair is in my way, and I've got safety reasons for needing it to be contained at work.

Arciela
July 24th, 2017, 04:00 PM
Mine is TBL and I honestly just wear it however I feel like. Sometimes I get sick of it being all over the place and I just put it up and forget about it..other days I leave it down and it doesn't bother me at all. Just depends :flower:

I notice no damage or issues really with it regardless of how I wear mine.

Madora
July 24th, 2017, 04:39 PM
If you want to grow your hair long (waist or longer) then wearing it up helps protect the delicate ends by eliminating most tangles, which means less damage when you go to detangle it. Wearing it down once in a while is all right, provided you take the time to detangle it at least every 5 hours. Don't leave the detangling until evening when you're tired. Proper detangling takes time.

Dark40
July 24th, 2017, 04:46 PM
I have always worn my hair down without any problems. I do wear it in a ponytail sometimes but 95% of the time. My hair grows best when it's down. If I wear it in a ponytail all of the time I lose a few hairs, and my hair is between MBL and WL.

melesine
July 24th, 2017, 05:00 PM
If I'm working out or cooking, I put it up. I've caught my hair on fire from the stove before. If it's windy outside, I wear it up to avoid tangles.

oatmeal1991
July 24th, 2017, 06:05 PM
My fine hair gets easily damaged by the sun, wind, friction, etc. so I definitely notice my hair breaking and splitting less after I started wearing it up for work over the last six months.

marvel-lover
July 24th, 2017, 06:23 PM
Personally, I prefer it up because of my job and my preferences. I don't like my hair being in the way, and my hair is long enough that it gets caught on things and damaged. I wear it down on special occasions, which I think has actually helped my DBF adore my hair even more (yay!!!!!) Plus, it seems to grow faster when I keep it up, and buns and hair toys are so much fun! But it's totally up to you and what you prefer

Rebeccalaurenxx
July 24th, 2017, 06:45 PM
To be honest with you, I dont think I can get really long hair without wearing it up more frequently. This means at least 80% of the week my hair is up. I let it down when im relaxing at home, but I lead a very active lifestyle - I go to the gym, I work a physically demanding job 32 hours of the week, I also am a tosser and my hair goes into knots when I sleep, or run around outside.
Im not even that long yet and I get my hair into my food, get it caught on things. My hair is also like cobwebs, gets caught on itself and tangles very easily. So instead of going through the pain of detangling multiple times a day and potentially causing breakage and losing hair/causing unnecessary shed, I put it up. I prefer a braid because its more flattering, but if the hair is dirty I use a elastic ribbon hair band and do a bun or ponytail. These are apparently more gentle on the hair. I was using hair forks and sticks for awhile but they are too heavy for my sensitive head.

I think if you dont have naturally very tangle prone hair and arent super active and potentially causing knots yourself, wearing hair up all the time is not needed.
But it is for me lol

AmberLouise89
July 24th, 2017, 06:56 PM
I pretty much only wear my hair down on wash day, other than that it's always braided. Also I always braid my hair as apposed to a bun because I tend to always rip hairs out when I try to bun it and buns seem to always give me a headache.

yahirwaO.o
July 24th, 2017, 07:14 PM
When my hair is long I adore having it down all hippie style, i love the way it flows and those annoying winds are the best feeling for me, feel so free!!!!!. The ocasional bun its ok but honestly I can't keep my hair contained all the time just for lenght (not my style at all and have experience it before). Tucking it behind the ears and half ups are good but really Im very bipolar if its down let it down and if I want the mane out just put it up.

Currently I wear my very short uneven bob in twists, half ups, buns and dutch braids because down looks so mushroom ish and completly hate it. Once my hair is a one lenght past chin lenght bob I will go back to my minimalistic sleek and straight aproach.

Robi-Bird
July 24th, 2017, 07:43 PM
I keep my hair up at work, without exception. I don't want it getting caught up in anything, or falling in my face while I'm dealing with orders or processing stock, both because it annoys me, and I don't want it damaged.

leayellena
July 24th, 2017, 11:43 PM
Hair up at work. It stays that way for the whole day.
English braid on weekends when I stay at home.
Loose when air drying and maybe on special occasions if I don't wear wool pullover.

Deborah
July 24th, 2017, 11:44 PM
Up in a nice bun is the most protective for sure.

Sarahlabyrinth
July 25th, 2017, 01:06 AM
Up in a bun for me, except for air drying it on wash day. If I wear it loose it gets everywhere and tangles more, so it's in a bun or braid during the day, and in bed it's loosely confined in a sleep cap. I probably only wear it loose and go out two or three times a year....

LadyCelestina
July 25th, 2017, 01:11 AM
Finding some updo's I don't hate helped a lot :D But I still prefer wearing my hair down. I put it up for comfort/practicality/not to ruin it if I want it to look nice later.

I do think some updo's can be damaging to the roots of your hair or cause breakage, though.

lapushka
July 25th, 2017, 04:51 AM
So I have heard two different pieces of advice for growing hair. One was to leave it down as much as you can. The other was to have it up as much as you can? Which one would you recommend?

These days I leave it down at home and put it in a simple top knot or ballerina bun (with the help of a hair donut (no bobby pins)) for work. DBF also accidentally leans on my hair on a daily basis, and it's only APL hair!

It depends on the length of the hair, and if it's practical, for me. I left APL to BSL hair out still, at some points, but mostly I wore it up in a peacock twist. It has always been loose when I go to bed, because I want to have a part of my day/night where I just let the hair be and breathe. I wear it up, when I'm up, but my hair is past hip now. It also depends on length and mechanical wear.

Simsy
July 25th, 2017, 06:49 AM
Being a truck driver, hair starts getting into trouble from about apl. Up, or at least back and restrained, at all times. After a while I just got used to it always being up and I rarely have it down these days.

unheardletters
July 25th, 2017, 07:09 AM
I wear my hair up in a bun always, for me I overly manipulate my hair when worn loose. I cannot stop touching it, thus causing damage and hair loss. I must wear it up so I am not playing with my hair all the time. even when my hair is wet I cannot wear it down. I wear it in a towel until mostly dry then it is up in a bun. One of the reasons that I'm growing my hair longer is so I can have more options on how I wear my hair up instead of the same bun every day.
Also, I have three babies and they love to grab hair and have pulled out huge chunks of it many times, so my hair must stay up and away from them.

Joyful Mystery
September 18th, 2017, 12:52 PM
I wear it up all the time except for when it's air drying after a wash and when it's loose inside my sleep cap at bedtime.

Jo Ann
September 18th, 2017, 02:07 PM
Except when drying, hanging around the house or sleeping, my hair is usually up. Once in a while, I'll go out with it down (thank God for chopsticks in the glove box!). When cooking or baking, hair is definitely UP!