PDA

View Full Version : Hair color and growth?

aries
October 27th, 2008, 06:35 AM
I am confused. I have always heard if you color hair that you can't grow it long. Is there anyone with hair beyond classic that colors? If so how do you care for your hair without the damage of color?

In my experience, which isn't much, after I have colored my hair I have to cut off a lot over time because of damage. Have I been doing something wrong? I used cones, finding out my hair doesn't like them, and did deep conditioning treatments but never used heat and still don't.

Sometimes I want to color really bad to cover my sparklers and always talk myself out of it due to wanting to get my hair as long as I can.

Through a good amount of research and talking with Nightshade, henna is not an option because covering the sparklers is not guaranteed.

Nightshade
October 27th, 2008, 07:13 AM
Although henna isn't a guarantee, you could do a search for raspberry leaf. For the life of me I can't remember who it was, but one of our members covers her grays with it (it's a darker brown color iirc). Not permanent, but it seemed easy enough to apply.

aries
October 27th, 2008, 07:19 AM
LOL, I knew you'd be here. Raspberry leaf? I'm kinda wanting to stay dark brown but want some auburn in it. Do you think raspberry leaf is something that lightens faster than the henna would therefor causing more applications?

Hypnotica
October 27th, 2008, 07:20 AM
It really depends of your hair quality. My ends have probably been coloured around 10 times and they are very much alive and kickin'. OTH, I did bleach my hair once upon a time 6 times one month and my hair still didn't break off :)

Are you perhaps coluring all of your hair? That is not such a good idea. You should only colour the roots and use a deposit-only colour for the lenghts.

Dolly
October 27th, 2008, 07:36 AM
I use chemical color and have been for about 5 years now, I think. My hair is at about BSL. My ends are in really good condition, and I color every 6-8 weeks, because I can't deal with the grays. The best and least damaging color that I have found is Hydrience. Most others trash my hair, which is fine, thin, and delicate (especially Feria....omg, don't use that one!).

I am a member of the chemical coloring social group here on the boards, and there are members in that group that have hair to waist, tailbone, and beyond. So, yes, I guess it is possible! For me, if I can have long hair, but hate the color and the grays, I figure what's the point? So, I color when I need to.

My hair has been growing very well since taking care of it and treating it very well with the exception of the color, and my growth has not been sacrificed.

Nightshade
October 27th, 2008, 08:12 AM
Before I went nuts with the dye and treating my hair like hell (wore it down all the time, raked it with an evil brush, etc) I had decent hip-length chemically colored hair.

I would imagine if coloring is one's only "hair sin" then if you follow other good rules (wear it up, lots of deep conditioning, deposit-only color when possible) you can probably get pretty long.

aries
October 27th, 2008, 08:30 AM
Hypnotica-I would be coloring all of my hair if I decide I can't take getting anymore sparklers in my hair. My husband tries to talk me out of it because it's just a fact of aging, hah I think it's stress heh.

Dolly-Oh Man!! I used Feria when it first came out years ago and it totally trashed my hair as well. It was awful. I know there are some brands out there that aren't as harsh on the hair and when I use semi-perm or non-perm hair color it doesn't cover my grays anymore.

Nightshade-I don't know if you remember but I have beens struggling with this decission for so long lol. I really want the gorgeous color that henna gives along with the strength and shine but know that my sparklers would be pink or orange and am now getting to the point that I have quite a bit in the front right section of my bangs. Pretty soon, if I do henna, I would have some funky colored hair heh.

I may not color at all, it's just something that rides up on me now and again then I fear the damage and not being able to grow as long as I would like. Hmmmm!!! Still debating.

Nightshade
October 27th, 2008, 08:42 AM
Nightshade-I don't know if you remember but I have beens struggling with this decission for so long lol. I really want the gorgeous color that henna gives along with the strength and shine but know that my sparklers would be pink or orange and am now getting to the point that I have quite a bit in the front right section of my bangs. Pretty soon, if I do henna, I would have some funky colored hair heh.

Herm. :ponder: Do you have any sparklers on the underneath layers of your hair, or any shed sparklers that you can test the henna on?

Dolly
October 27th, 2008, 09:00 AM
Dolly-Oh Man!! I used Feria when it first came out years ago and it totally trashed my hair as well. It was awful. I know there are some brands out there that aren't as harsh on the hair and when I use semi-perm or non-perm hair color it doesn't cover my grays anymore.

If you decide to color, try Hydrience, seriously. I have tried about every brand out there and it is the only one that doesn't stress out my hair (Herbal Essences is ok, but is kind of drying). I can't find Hydrience in stores around here anymore, but I know it is usually available online at drugstore.com. You can also check out the Clairol website to see if there are any stores in your area that carry it (and to check out what colors they have).

Nightshade
October 27th, 2008, 09:35 AM
If you decide to color, try Hydrience, seriously. I have tried about every brand out there and it is the only one that doesn't stress out my hair (Herbal Essences is ok, but is kind of drying). I can't find Hydrience in stores around here anymore, but I know it is usually available online at drugstore.com. You can also check out the Clairol website to see if there are any stores in your area that carry it (and to check out what colors they have).

FWIW, Hydrience was what I was using before I wrecked my hair, and out of the dozen or so brands I think I've used, that one seemed the most gentle.

aries
October 27th, 2008, 10:36 AM
FWIW, Hydrience was what I was using before I wrecked my hair, and out of the dozen or so brands I think I've used, that one seemed the most gentle.

So are you saying that Hydrience was part of the problem that started the wreckage of your hair or the wreckage started due to treatment after using Hydrience? I think it's the latter of the 2 but want to make sure.

Nightshade
October 27th, 2008, 10:42 AM
My hair was okay using Hydrience. It got worse when they discontinued my color and I switched brands a ton of times and treated my hair like junk.

Had I just used hydrience and treated my hair well, I'm sure it'd have fared much better. Also, my mom covers her grays with Perfect Match, and says that seems to be much gentler on her hair, and gives better coverage without the non-gray portion of her hair soaking up too much dye and going darker than she wanted.

aries
October 27th, 2008, 10:45 AM
Hmmmmm, that's something to think about Nightshade. Thank you for your input. I may try this or maynot and just stay natural. My biggest curiousity is what people with longer hair go through with coloring because I know they are out there someplace. I remember you had a terrible time of it and are still struggling to get rid of the fried portions. I have to say your hair is gorgeous as I've always thought it was since I started here.

Nightshade
October 27th, 2008, 12:28 PM
Hmmmmm, that's something to think about Nightshade. Thank you for your input. I may try this or maynot and just stay natural. My biggest curiousity is what people with longer hair go through with coloring because I know they are out there someplace. I remember you had a terrible time of it and are still struggling to get rid of the fried portions. I have to say your hair is gorgeous as I've always thought it was since I started here.

Thank you, that's very kind of you to say :flowers:

I think you're being wise by exploring your options before committing. :) Really, though, if you do decide to color with chemicals, please consider going to a professional. Odds are high you'll get less damage that way than with Box-From-Target.