PDA

View Full Version : Advice/ tutorial for cutting face frame chin length wispy pieces on my 2c 3a hair

NaturalRed
July 23rd, 2017, 02:27 PM
I want to cut my own face frame/ chin length bangs. I need something to soften my face when my hair is pulled back. When I get face frames done by stylists, they take way too much hair, the whole section in front of the ear. This leaves a lot of short hair in the front and long in the back. I want a few pieces and am curious how to make it blend without taking off too much hair. If I cut chin length pieces and left the rest unblended would it look weird? Advice and any tutorials appreciated.

oatmeal1991
July 23rd, 2017, 03:03 PM
I've never cut my own layers so I can't give you advice from experience, but I would say just browse around YouTube for awhile, reading the comment on any tutorials that look good just to see other folks feedback.

Nightshade
July 23rd, 2017, 03:17 PM
I've done this :)

Here's a blog post (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/entry.php?b=103422) about my adventures with it (and the after (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/entry.php?b=103421)), but you'll need to shoot me a friend request to see them.

Otherwise, here's the layer tutorial I used:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHl3Wi4ghQk&feature=related

NaturalRed
July 23rd, 2017, 03:36 PM
Nightshade thanks so much for sharing your blog. I don't know how to friend you and I'm brand new so not sure its allowed. I'll watch the YouTube link. I have been looking for how tos on YouTube and I have the general idea but everyone there has straight hair.

Nightshade
July 23rd, 2017, 03:40 PM
Nightshade thanks so much for sharing your blog. I don't know how to friend you and I'm brand new so not sure its allowed. I'll watch the YouTube link. I have been looking for how tos on YouTube and I have the general idea but everyone there has straight hair.

Aye, you might be too new :) Once you can, toss me a friend request :)

NaturalRed
July 23rd, 2017, 03:51 PM
Shoot. I see you're into henna. I'm waiting on my first amla and cassia so I can try some subtle highlights.

NaturalRed
July 23rd, 2017, 04:17 PM
I think I'll try the technique like that video but make the sections way smaller. That's like what i mentioned with stylists taking the whole section by the ear. It works on that girl but she has super thick hair. Mine is fine and medium density. Now I just need to get the courage to try it

NaturalRed
July 23rd, 2017, 04:48 PM
I think I'll try the technique like that video but make the sections way smaller. That's like what i mentioned with stylists taking the whole section by the ear. It works on that girl but she has super thick hair. Mine is fine and medium density. Now I just need to get the courage to try it

spidermom
July 23rd, 2017, 07:19 PM
Another thing you can do is braid back all the hair that you do not want to have cut, leaving only the section that you DO want to have cut. Then the stylist can't cut more hair than you're willing to lose. I did this the first time I had face-framing layers cut by someone else. She complained about the inability to blend them into my existing hair, but I told her I wasn't concerned about that. I only wanted something to soften my features when everything else was pulled back, as it usually was. She did o.k. but I ended up liking what I could do for myself better. Some stylists cannot think outside of the box.

NaturalRed
July 23rd, 2017, 07:38 PM
Spidermom how do you do yours? I agree its hard to find a really good stylist

Nightshade
July 24th, 2017, 12:59 AM
Shoot. I see you're into henna. I'm waiting on my first amla and cassia so I can try some subtle highlights.

:lol: You might say that :)

I'd love to hear more about your cassia amla adventures!

lapushka
July 24th, 2017, 02:49 AM
I want to cut my own face frame/ chin length bangs. I need something to soften my face when my hair is pulled back. When I get face frames done by stylists, they take way too much hair, the whole section in front of the ear. This leaves a lot of short hair in the front and long in the back. I want a few pieces and am curious how to make it blend without taking off too much hair. If I cut chin length pieces and left the rest unblended would it look weird? Advice and any tutorials appreciated.

This might help (just saw it recently) - lots of great advice:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emIY8R7hWP0&t=0s

NaturalRed
July 24th, 2017, 07:43 PM
Nightshade, I take it you're actually more of a pro than my comment implied. I'm curious, tell me about your experience. Thanks for the link Lapushka I'll be watching it soon

NaturalRed
July 24th, 2017, 07:44 PM
I'll be getting my amla and cassia in a few days but may be waiting to use it. I've actually started getting silver hairs and I love them and don't really wanna cover em up

NaturalRed
July 24th, 2017, 07:46 PM
Also, I ended up emailing photos of my hair to a stylist and she suggested just cutting a few curls because my hair is fine and kind of thin around my face. May be what I'll end up doing. I'd love to share photos but I can't figure out how to do it on a tablet.

lucid
July 24th, 2017, 07:55 PM
I think that is a good idea. I have quite thin hair, and I have bangs using only a small part of my hair. They are side swept, so they still look full, and they work out great for my face. Start small and cut them longer than what you first think, you can always cut more until you're happy with the result :)

NaturalRed
July 24th, 2017, 08:29 PM
Lapushka that video was just what I was looking for thank you! She mentioned exactly what I meant where most stylists make it look short in front and long in back. Now I need to learn what round layers are. I always just say I want long layers but have been considering going back to one length

Nightshade
July 24th, 2017, 10:23 PM
Nightshade, I take it you're actually more of a pro than my comment implied. I'm curious, tell me about your experience. Thanks for the link Lapushka I'll be watching it soon

I've worked with henna for over 15 years now, both on and off LHC and do a lot of experimenting with blends and herbs :)

NaturalRed
July 24th, 2017, 10:49 PM
That's awesome. I'm about to begin with herbal hair colorants. My pic is my natural virgin color although I experimented with black, brown, blonde, purple, and various shades of red when I was younger. Now I don't want the damage or unhealthy chemicals. I just read natural hair coloring by Christine shahin and devoured the henna ebooks from henna for hair. If you have resources to share let me know. I may be doing henna indigo on my MILs hair and cassia and amla on mine. I went to cosmetology school as a teen and wish we had used henna and the others.

lapushka
July 25th, 2017, 03:47 AM
Lapushka that video was just what I was looking for thank you! She mentioned exactly what I meant where most stylists make it look short in front and long in back. Now I need to learn what round layers are. I always just say I want long layers but have been considering going back to one length

Maybe take, if you can, the video to your stylist and show her or him. If that's an option, I know not everyone has a smarphone (I don't). :)

florenonite
July 25th, 2017, 07:02 AM
That's awesome. I'm about to begin with herbal hair colorants. My pic is my natural virgin color although I experimented with black, brown, blonde, purple, and various shades of red when I was younger. Now I don't want the damage or unhealthy chemicals. I just read natural hair coloring by Christine shahin and devoured the henna ebooks from henna for hair. If you have resources to share let me know. I may be doing henna indigo on my MILs hair and cassia and amla on mine. I went to cosmetology school as a teen and wish we had used henna and the others.

She has a book (https://www.etsy.com/ca/listing/468060348/coloring-hair-naturally-with-henna-other) ;) (Amazon link (https://www.amazon.com/Coloring-Naturally-Henna-Other-Herbs-ebook/dp/B01LYYP4LF/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1475002719&sr=1-2))

Which I highly, HIGHLY recommend; the photos and instructions are very clear. When I hennaed my hair (or, more accurately, I stood in the bath while my husband hennaed it :P ), I had the book open on my computer and when my husband had questions I pointed him towards it :lol:

triumphator!
July 25th, 2017, 07:19 AM
Nightshade's book is awesome! I bought it last week, it's very informative! Highly recommend it if you're considering herbal dyeing and treatments.

NaturalRed
July 25th, 2017, 09:11 AM
It would be a great option but my phone has caveman internet haha. I could possibly email the video to her next time I want my hair cut.

NaturalRed
July 25th, 2017, 09:16 AM
Oh that's great! I'll certainly check it out. I'm wondering if anyone's done foils with herbals or something like that for highlights. Everything I've read kind of hints at it but doesn't really go much into the process. I had red and blonde conventional highlights foiled in with my natural color and it was my favorite thing ever. I got cassia and amla to see if I can get some blonde highlights and I may try henna later.

NaturalRed
July 25th, 2017, 09:41 AM
That book recommendation could lead me down a rabbit hole. I LOVE books. Any other good book recs about natural haircare in general?

florenonite
July 25th, 2017, 09:43 AM
Oh that's great! I'll certainly check it out. I'm wondering if anyone's done foils with herbals or something like that for highlights. Everything I've read kind of hints at it but doesn't really go much into the process. I had red and blonde conventional highlights foiled in with my natural color and it was my favorite thing ever. I got cassia and amla to see if I can get some blonde highlights and I may try henna later.

You won't get blonde highlights from herbs like cassia, as they don't lift colour. They just deposit a colour over the existing colour. It's like looking at the hair through a bit of stained glass; the tone changes but it doesn't get any lighter. You can certainly brighten hair with herbal hair colour, but that's it.

However, the book I linked has an entire chapter on naturally lightening hair, so I'd definitely check that out if that's what you're after.

NaturalRed
July 25th, 2017, 09:55 AM
You won't get blonde highlights from herbs like cassia, as they don't lift colour. They just deposit a colour over the existing colour. It's like looking at the hair through a bit of stained glass; the tone changes but it doesn't get any lighter. You can certainly brighten hair with herbal hair colour, but that's it.

However, the book I linked has an entire chapter on naturally lightening hair, so I'd definitely check that out if that's what you're after.
Yes I read that in a few places but was curious what it would do to my red since I seem to have some natural lighter pieces. And I have a few silvers <3. I'm fine with subtle for now, best to start slow, but I did think of trying lemon juice and sun or yogurt or honey or something.

NaturalRed
July 25th, 2017, 10:08 AM
Nightshade, your etsy store is great. Love the ethics of it. I'll definitely be ordering your two ebooks on amazon and I'll keep your store in mind for future purchases.

Nightshade
July 25th, 2017, 10:22 AM
Nightshade, your etsy store is great. Love the ethics of it. I'll definitely be ordering your two ebooks on amazon and I'll keep your store in mind for future purchases.

Aw, thank you so much :) I really appreciate the nod to the ethics, it's something I've very proud of <3