PDA

View Full Version : Help please!!! Thin hair

Toulouse
July 22nd, 2017, 11:30 PM
Hi! I had a lot of my hair cut off in February (it was at tailbone now at my bra) for one reason: my hairdresser told me the middle hair in the back was thinner than the rest because it is damaged. Of course me being uneducated about hair, I agreed and it was honestly the worst decision in my life and I think about it all the time until my hair grows back. :cry: Anyway, 5 months later and I'm freaking out about it again. I've noticed in the back (middle hair) it is thicker in the top but towards the ends... it gets thinner. I mean my hair has always been thin but these hairs are thinner than the sides. Also, my hair isn't completely straight but the middle hairs are kinda more wavy like s waves but not too bad.

I realize damaged hair doesn't = thin/wavy hair but I'm just not understanding why it could be thinner. Or why my hair would be damaged like she said it was. I never do anything to my hair, not even ponytails, but all I can think of is using hot water in the shower in the past. Also, these middle hairs look like my other pieces of hair: no split ends, white dots, soft, and all of that.

Honestly, I think these middle hairs are still cute but I just wish they were thicker like the sides! I really don't want to cut again so does anyone have any advice on how to help my thin ends? Oils? Deep conditioners? Shampoos? Any ideas on what could be going on? Anything!

Toulouse
July 22nd, 2017, 11:34 PM
To clarify... no split ends or white dots

akurah
July 22nd, 2017, 11:45 PM
I don't think you can post pictures yet, unfortunately, it's gonna be really hard to troubleshoot without them. If you're able to link a picture, that would help.

Longer hair, for most people, does get thinner towards the ends the longer it gets. My hair definitely does. This is generally called "taper" here.

vega
July 22nd, 2017, 11:49 PM
There isn't really a cure for this , my friend has this concern and went with extensions to blend in, really does the trick

restless
July 23rd, 2017, 12:54 AM
When youre sitting down, do you bring the hair over your shoulders to protect it, or do you let it rub against the back of the chair youre sitting on?

Rebeccalaurenxx
July 23rd, 2017, 01:01 AM
I would need to wait until you can post photos before I can give input. Post a few more posts, and when you hit 25 posts you can post photos.

diddiedaisy
July 23rd, 2017, 03:26 AM
I have very fine hair and the middle section at the back is thinner than the rest. It starts from apl, I think this is just how my hair grows. Since I've been here I have cut off all my pre lhc hair and it still grows that way. It's defiantly not damage, I just think some of my hair has a short terminal. A lot of my shed hair is reasonably short with a bulb and tapered end. No splits, it's never seen a scissor, but it doesn't like hanging around for the journey.

You may find that if the hair is not damaged in any way when it starts to taper that you just have hair that grows that way. If that's the case you just have to learn to live with it.

Sometimes hairdressers see taper as damage, which many times it's not. I avoid hairdressers for many reasons but I'd never get passed apl if I went because my natural taper starts there.

lapushka
July 23rd, 2017, 04:16 AM
You can use a photohosting site such as "imgur" to post pictures here. I would have to see this before I say anything.

Also have you measured your ponytail circumference yet? Make a ponytail, and measure around it (not over the elastic, but that kind of goes without saying). Get back to us. It also depends on what thickness you are naturally. :flower:

vega
July 23rd, 2017, 06:37 PM
With thinner textures you can also put accessories in your hair my friend in same situation turns her thin hair into voluminous waves ,she does have to place a lot of effort but it really works for her

spidermom
July 23rd, 2017, 07:14 PM
Analyze your habits. As mentioned above, you may be getting your hair rubbed between your back and the chair/sofa. OR it may be the way your hair grows. Each hair on your head has its own growth cycle. Some hairs grow for only a few months before they shed out, other hairs grow for many years. The cause of your hair thinning in the back could be that the hairs in that area don't grow for as long a period of time as the hairs to the sides. There's really nothing you can do about that. Optimize your health as much as possible, and be as careful with your hair as possible, but the rest is up to genetics.

Toulouse
July 23rd, 2017, 07:47 PM
Thank you to everyone for the advice and opinions! I will try some of the things you guys mentioned. Also, I took some pics today and gonna try to link them somehow soon! :)

When youre sitting down, do you bring the hair over your shoulders to protect it, or do you let it rub against the back of the chair youre sitting on?

I've been avoiding this ever since I got my haircut but I used to do this a lot... like sleeping on it sometimes and having it rubbing against furniture (particularly rocking chairs). I didn't know it could have an effect on my hair! :eek:

Toulouse
July 24th, 2017, 05:38 PM
Finally got the pics up!! I hope this link work - http://imgur.com/a/Y7Vgh

I apologize for all the pictures but I was really trying to capture the middle part of my hair and the thin hairs but hopefully you guys can see what I'm talking about. I feel like it doesn't look so weird when I put my hairs in a certain way (like putting them together or holding/brushing them down so they aren't more wavy) but it still kinda looks different from the sides. Another thing I noticed was how the ends of the pieces kinda curl up, but I feel like that is probably because of how they were cut or grow (also the pieces are more wavy and just don't wanna go in the same direction).. but I don't know. Also, you can probably see the wavy piece (I was trying to show this too) that shows sometimes and maybe how my hair kinda looks like it has a hole in it (?) because of the separation/thinness.

But yeah, these are the pieces that the hairdresser said were "damaged" and I just don't know what to believe! Damaged or just different?

oatmeal1991
July 24th, 2017, 05:50 PM
I'm sorry, I have no advice for you, but I do want to say that your hair looks really nice! I think I can kind of see what you're talking about in SOME of the photos, but I would never have noticed a thinner spot if I hadn't been told to look for it.

akurah
July 24th, 2017, 06:34 PM
If I REALLY squint and tilt my head, and look at the precise spot, I can see it. But I would not see if I wasn't deliberately told what to look for nor where.

If I had to hazard a guess, just enough hairs in that area grow slower than the rest that it gets a little thin there. It's not uncommon for some parts of your scalp to grow hair slower than others.

ETA: I looked again. I was wrong. I don't think I see it. I think I was mistaking the shine on some of the flipped ends as your shirt showing through. Be aware I'm typing from my iPhone

lapushka
July 25th, 2017, 07:53 AM

I apologize for all the pictures but I was really trying to capture the middle part of my hair and the thin hairs but hopefully you guys can see what I'm talking about. I feel like it doesn't look so weird when I put my hairs in a certain way (like putting them together or holding/brushing them down so they aren't more wavy) but it still kinda looks different from the sides. Another thing I noticed was how the ends of the pieces kinda curl up, but I feel like that is probably because of how they were cut or grow (also the pieces are more wavy and just don't wanna go in the same direction).. but I don't know. Also, you can probably see the wavy piece (I was trying to show this too) that shows sometimes and maybe how my hair kinda looks like it has a hole in it (?) because of the separation/thinness.

But yeah, these are the pieces that the hairdresser said were "damaged" and I just don't know what to believe! Damaged or just different?

That is quite all right. You're worried. Based on the pictures, I think you have nothing to worry about. Your hair looks perfectly fine to me. I think you might be obsessing over something that needs no worry. But that's how I see it. :flower: Your hair is gorgeous, BTW! :D

Cg
July 25th, 2017, 08:36 AM
All I see is beautiful hair. Looks perfectly healthy and normal.

Of the Fae
July 25th, 2017, 08:53 AM
All I see is beautiful hair. Looks perfectly healthy and normal.

This! It looks very healthy with a beautiful hemline. I do see a slight variation in texture in the middle, but it's a pretty wave.

lapushka
July 25th, 2017, 02:11 PM
I find it hard to see what you mean by "thin" bit, but if it's the part that waves in the middle, then that is just a texture difference and not a thin part per sé. :flower:

Corvana
July 25th, 2017, 03:50 PM
So one of your photos

http://i.imgur.com/hEmZ1je.jpg

I see what could maybe be a little breakage. But it could also just be the light. Overall it just looks like you've got a wicked wave in that one spot that makes your hair seem thin, but really it's just wandering elsewhere than where it "should" be.

While these aren't great for hairtyping, if I had to guess I'd say you were 2a all over, with that spot being a good 2b if not full on 2c. This is just because you mentioned brushing it out, which can make the wave pattern less distinct, so I'm going up the "scale" to compensate.

lapushka
July 25th, 2017, 03:55 PM
While these aren't great for hairtyping, if I had to guess I'd say you were 2a all over, with that spot being a good 2b if not full on 2c. This is just because you mentioned brushing it out, which can make the wave pattern less distinct, so I'm going up the "scale" to compensate.

2b = braidwaves, so a much tighter texture, Corvana. Also 2a gives consistency in the wave throughout. This would more make me think of a 1c texture.

Sarahlabyrinth
July 25th, 2017, 04:57 PM
All I see is gorgeous hair, and no thinness anywhere. If I were you I would relax and enjoy it, and learn to keep it away from damaging things, friction against clothing, chair backs etc. I really love your hair!

Corvana
July 25th, 2017, 04:58 PM

2b = braidwaves, so a much tighter texture, Corvana. Also 2a gives consistency in the wave throughout. This would more make me think of a 1c texture.

Oh I totally agree! I was just extrapolating from the bolded section of OP's post that the hair was brushed down, which would make the natural pattern hidden. It's really impossible to hairtype unless we know that the hair is just washed and uncombed.

But even if I misread, I think my guess that the supposedly damaged section is really just more wavy is the most likely culprit, but it's more of a 1c with a spot of 2a. Or would it be 1b with a spot of 1c?

spidermom
July 25th, 2017, 07:43 PM
I don't see a problem. I think what I'm seeing is a gap created by the wave pattern going in different directions. There may also be a bit of breakage at the ends.

CrowningGlory
July 26th, 2017, 04:41 AM
I agree with what spidermom said: it's simply from where your hair changes from the ends curling under to flipping out. I didn't see any noticeable breakage.

I only wish my 'thinning' looked like yours!

My advice: you have a healthy head of hair there so take care of it and it should reward you with longer lengths. And avoid scissor-happy stylists.

FineMiracle
July 27th, 2017, 01:10 PM

Oh my goodness. Your hair looks AMAZING. Your hairdresser is messed up. I don't go to them anymore.

amiaow
July 27th, 2017, 04:28 PM
Your hair is gorgeous. You could brush some of the top section backward rather than down the centre part if you wanted to "thicken" that middle section at the back. From my perspective it seems to just have a different wave pattern to the sides.

Growingit
August 30th, 2017, 08:21 AM
Definitely some waves in that section going on. You're hair is beautiful and so shiny! I have slight waves to heavier waves now after being stick straight my entire life. I had several hairdressers tell me my hair was damaged & I kept cutting it off only to have it grow back wavy again 😊.

AtticusFinch
September 6th, 2017, 12:12 PM
I feel for you
My hair volume reduces the farther below my roots it goes.
Enjoy your hair and relax - it's lovely :)

sarahthegemini
September 6th, 2017, 01:16 PM
Honestly your hair looks fine to me. It looks lovely actually :)

Suze
September 6th, 2017, 01:34 PM
Was scrolling through your pictures and all I see is very beautiful and thick hair!

Aredhel
September 6th, 2017, 01:54 PM

Your hair looks beautiful, thick and healthy with a beautifully even hemline and gorgeous waves. I don't think your hairdresser's opinion is reliable Most of them just want their clients to be dependent on them and their services.

Rebeccalaurenxx
September 6th, 2017, 01:56 PM
You wanna see thin hair? Look at mine. Your hair is fine... haha. Fine as in - thick and healthy...

nmgdolly
September 6th, 2017, 07:41 PM
Gosh, I think your hair is gorgeous.
I just see a slight texture difference, but, honestly, I would have never noticed it if you had not pointed it out.
And thin? Not at all.
Like many on here, I dislike hair stylists because I think they just want to make you dependent on them. Been years since I saw one. Have no intention of seeing one again. I find it easier to SD in my own home at my leisure...

:)

Dendra
September 7th, 2017, 04:07 PM
Just like everyone else, I think your hair is gorgeous! I didn't expect to see such thick, smooth, healthy hair when I clicked your link. No stress from now on - there is absolutely nothing wrong with your hair! I would happily accept that tiny little gap in the middle as a personal quirk.

Amelia777
October 8th, 2017, 10:26 AM
I think oil treatment can help you to solve the problem. I have a straight and thin hair, so I know how hard it is to make it look good. I tried a lot of shampoos and masks, but I didn't have a desired result. Later I decided to try oil on my hair, but I didn't know which one to choose. I found a great article about DIY hot oil treatment on https://therighthairstyles.com/hot-oil-treatments-how-to/ (https://therighthairstyles.com/hot-oil-treatments-how-to/) and tried several recipes. The one with cocnut oil is my favourite. I should say, it has helped me a lot. I hope it will work for you either.

manuGmz
October 9th, 2017, 04:02 AM
You have beautiful hair and a thick beautiful hemline.
My stylist always wants to cut more than needed, too, but if I don't agree with her, I insist she cuts as much as I want and then she does. Just be confident and when you trim, trim as much as YOU're comfortable with. They don't wear it; you do.

leayellena
October 9th, 2017, 08:38 AM
Forget hairdressers. Try this at home: https://youtu.be/hWRJ57j1AyI