PDA

View Full Version : Does this bun already have a name?

Corvana
July 22nd, 2017, 01:12 AM
Ok so I don't have any pictures. I was just thinking about when I was in high school and would grab a pencil or something to put my hair up with, and haven't yet found a bun tutorial on here that describes it. Maybe I just haven't seen it, or maybe because I never saw what the thing actually looked like I wouldn't know it when I saw it.

So all I can give is a verbal description, but if your hair is APL+ and you've got a stick around maybe you could try it out to see if it reminds you of anything...

Step 1: Make a loose pony with your hand, or just kinda bring all of your hair vaguely together in one spot
Step 2: Lay the stick point up on the left or right of the pony (whichever you want) so that it's flat against your head
Step 3: "Stir" your stick around the pony, catching the tail (it loops itself around the stick). If you started with your stick on the left, stir towards your right and vice versa.
Step 4: Just... stick the stick in the opposite way. So if you end your stirring with it on the left, flip it so it catches a bit of scalp hair and stick it through towards the right.

I would also start it by just running the stick or whatever at my nape, parallel to my shoulders, and then using it to just twirl the hair and then sticking it back in.

I could do it now, since my hair is a bit dirty and therefore not slippy, but since it's not quite the length I need for it to look neat-ish, it'd just obscure everything going on anyway. But I can take some of the earlier steps if they're confusing!

ETA: I suppose it could also just not be... a bun at all. I don't know! It was like 14 years ago :laugh:

Sarahlabyrinth
July 22nd, 2017, 01:21 AM
That sounds like a wrapped stick bun Hypnotica has a tutorial on You Tube, I think. Or it might be a Pha bun.

Corvana
July 22nd, 2017, 01:35 AM
That sounds like a wrapped stick bun Hypnotica has a tutorial on You Tube, I think. Or it might be a Pha bun.

I think if it's either, it's closer the Pha bun. While the method is a little different (I'd always move the stick, instead of wrapping the hair, so the stick would just end up wherever), it seems to be the most similar that I've seen so far! Especially since I'm pretty sure the length of my hair would catch between the stick and my head. I watched FieryPha's tutorial on it, and she flipped her fork the way I'd flip my stick.

embee
July 22nd, 2017, 04:31 AM
Your description reminds me of my Orchid Bun. I learned it many years ago here on TLHC.

lapushka
July 22nd, 2017, 06:35 AM
Sounds like a pencil bun. Is this it (she takes her hand, but there's lots of YT tuts where they use a pencil to turn the bun, same thing):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQsrs6nQjaI

Wildcat Diva
July 22nd, 2017, 09:29 AM
Sounds like Pha or its predecessor, Magic Knot Bun.
https://youtu.be/ftpvK9OA1wI

twill
July 22nd, 2017, 01:25 PM
Ok so I don't have any pictures. I was just thinking about when I was in high school and would grab a pencil or something to put my hair up with, and haven't yet found a bun tutorial on here that describes it. Maybe I just haven't seen it, or maybe because I never saw what the thing actually looked like I wouldn't know it when I saw it.

So all I can give is a verbal description, but if your hair is APL+ and you've got a stick around maybe you could try it out to see if it reminds you of anything...

Step 1: Make a loose pony with your hand, or just kinda bring all of your hair vaguely together in one spot
Step 2: Lay the stick point up on the left or right of the pony (whichever you want) so that it's flat against your head
Step 3: "Stir" your stick around the pony, catching the tail (it loops itself around the stick). If you started with your stick on the left, stir towards your right and vice versa.
Step 4: Just... stick the stick in the opposite way. So if you end your stirring with it on the left, flip it so it catches a bit of scalp hair and stick it through towards the right.

I would also start it by just running the stick or whatever at my nape, parallel to my shoulders, and then using it to just twirl the hair and then sticking it back in.

I could do it now, since my hair is a bit dirty and therefore not slippy, but since it's not quite the length I need for it to look neat-ish, it'd just obscure everything going on anyway. But I can take some of the earlier steps if they're confusing!

ETA: I suppose it could also just not be... a bun at all. I don't know! It was like 14 years ago :laugh:

No idea if it has a name, but I used to do that one all the time. Still do it when I'm using a stick sometimes.

Corvana
July 22nd, 2017, 04:41 PM
Sounds like a pencil bun. Is this it (she takes her hand, but there's lots of YT tuts where they use a pencil to turn the bun, same thing):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQsrs6nQjaI

Ah yeah! This was a recommended! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sP7yL1QV6wA This is EXACTLY what I'd do.

Sounds like Pha or its predecessor, Magic Knot Bun.
https://youtu.be/ftpvK9OA1wI

It does seem a bit like a Pha, and since last night I've been mentally calling it a lazy Pha :laugh: It's super similar! But when compared to the video I just linked, it looks like the Pha and magic knot both end up a little bit different, even if they're mostly similar, to I suppose the pencil bun.

No idea if it has a name, but I used to do that one all the time. Still do it when I'm using a stick sometimes.

It's super easy! I can even do it one handed, which is probably why I used it so much in school! I could take notes and get my hair out of the way at the same time.

Thanks so much, everyone! It's nice to know that it has a name, and wasn't a thing I hallucinated (I have very bad memory problems, and occasionally vividly remember things that didn't happen and only foggily remember things that did, so it's hard for me to separate real and fake memories because they all could be either!).