PDA

View Full Version : How do you wear your hair when you are lounging around at home?

macguffin
July 21st, 2017, 10:25 AM
I've been struggling getting comfortable slouching on my couch the last few weeks. I can't stand having a lump from a bun or ponytail behind my head and so I have generally left it loose. Now though its getting long enough to get stuck behind me, really tug, and end up tangled, plus I worry a bit about damage. I've been trying some different things, but was curious how you all with much longer hair manage this. Thanks.

Anemone64
July 21st, 2017, 10:28 AM
I've been struggling getting comfortable slouching on my couch the last few weeks. I can't stand having a lump from a bun or ponytail behind my head and so I have generally left it loose. Now though its getting long enough to get stuck behind me, really tug, and end up tangled, plus I worry a bit about damage. I've been trying some different things, but was curious how you all with much longer hair manage this. Thanks.

You can try loosely braiding your hair. I also like to do really high buns.

Aredhel
July 21st, 2017, 10:29 AM
I wear a side braid or a loose bun sitting on the top of my head (held with a stick).

Larki
July 21st, 2017, 10:29 AM
Generally french braided, in a nautilus bun, or loose inside my silk sleep cap. I slouch sideways onto the armrest, not backwards, so the back of my head never touches the couch.

macguffin
July 21st, 2017, 10:35 AM
You can try loosely braiding your hair. I also like to do really high buns.

I wear a side braid or a loose bun sitting on the top of my head (held with a stick).
Still need a more length for a solid braid :( but I hadn't considered tying it on top of my head. I'll have to try that this evening.

Generally french braided, in a nautilus bun, or loose inside my silk sleep cap. I slouch sideways onto the armrest, not backwards, so the back of my head never touches the couch.
Learning to lounge that way would probably really pay off, but that would be too much effort while trying to relax.

meteor
July 21st, 2017, 10:37 AM
Braided buns for me. I generally just pin up my night braid in an L-Infinity.
When my hair was too short for braids and buns, I did a half-up, which at least kept the face-framing hair away from my eyes.

neko_kawaii
July 21st, 2017, 10:56 AM
High bun, braid, or sleep cap depending on the duration of lounging.

Groovy Granny
July 21st, 2017, 11:14 AM
I unwind at night with my hair in a low, loose, ponytail with a no damage hair tie (https://www.amazon.com/Kenz-Laurenz-Elastics-Ouchless-Ties-Black/dp/B018T34DD4/ref=sr_1_15_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1500657093&sr=8-15&keywords=no%2Bdamage%2Bhair%2Btie&th=1) found on Amazon.
I like the pastel colors but you can find dark colors too. Search for the best deals.

If on the couch I put the ponytail over my shoulder; if in bed I flip it over the pillow.

My fine, wispy, silver never tangles.... and it is comfy for my sensitive scalp.

draysmir
July 21st, 2017, 11:18 AM
I can't stand wearing a bun when I need to rest my head against something! I usually just wear my hair in a simple braid and bring it over one of my shoulders. I'm not sure what length you're at exactly, but when I had a layered bob I found I couldn't put my hair in a ponytail yet but my hair would stay back if I did two French braids. Maybe try doing two somewhat snug French braids? :D

Arciela
July 21st, 2017, 11:39 AM
Ahh I have this problem too! I hate the feeling of a bump when sitting in a chair, etc. Most of the time I end up just letting it loose also :flower:

bparnell75
July 21st, 2017, 12:05 PM
A high bun so when I sit it does not "bump" or I take it down to just be comfy. but for working I bun it.

Reyn127
July 21st, 2017, 12:30 PM
When I'm at home is actually some of the only time I (occasionally) leave my hair down, if I'm not moving around or doing anything. But most of the time, my hair just lives in one braid or two braided pigtails. I will leave braids for a couple of days sometimes, and put it up in a bun when I'm going to work or cooking or something. But braids really help with my tangles, though I've seen they haven't done much to protect my ends over time.

lithostoic
July 21st, 2017, 12:48 PM
I just leave mine loose. Or sometimes in a faux french.

leayellena
July 21st, 2017, 02:47 PM
The same englisch braid I keep also when I sleep

macguffin
July 21st, 2017, 03:40 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions. My hair is just past APL right now and I can't manage much of a braid yet, but I'd like to give that a try with more length. I've tried tying a ponytail behind my ear on one side instead of in the middle so it will stay in front of my shoulder and the hair tie isn't behind my head the last few days with decent results, but it's kind of an odd feeling to get used to. As a guy it just feels a bit off having all my hair off to one side. Haha, it shouldn't matter since no one is seeing it. I'll give the high bun a try and see if I like that better.

Corvana
July 21st, 2017, 04:19 PM
Teach yourself to french braid! Then you can braid with shorter hair. I can't french braid my own hair yet (still gotta practice haha), but I've successfully braided shoulder length hair in a french braid. Since it starts at your front hairline, it's more secure for shorter lengths.

But a bun on the top of your head is good, too!

pandabarrier
July 21st, 2017, 04:47 PM
I use a traveler's pillow (it looks like a U) to nap or lie in the bed if I'm still wearing a bun.

Emma Rose
July 21st, 2017, 07:11 PM
I normally go with a simple English, French or Dutch braid or a loose bun

papillon
July 21st, 2017, 09:44 PM
I pin it half-up towards the top of my head.

littlestarface
July 21st, 2017, 11:43 PM
A bun all through the day braid and sleep cap at night.

unheardletters
July 22nd, 2017, 01:09 AM
Thanks for all the suggestions. My hair is just past APL right now and I can't manage much of a braid yet, but I'd like to give that a try with more length. I've tried tying a ponytail behind my ear on one side instead of in the middle so it will stay in front of my shoulder and the hair tie isn't behind my head the last few days with decent results, but it's kind of an odd feeling to get used to. As a guy it just feels a bit off having all my hair off to one side. Haha, it shouldn't matter since no one is seeing it. I'll give the high bun a try and see if I like that better.

My hair is also past APL and a braid won't stay up for me. My hair is layered so the layered parts just come out even in a French braid, so I wear low pigtails (two side ponytails below the ears). Not as much hair on one side that way. Or I do a modified peacock twist, where instead of clipping the hair at the back and letting the ends falll, I clip the hair at the top of my head near the end of the length. It stays up better than a French braid for me for some reason, I guess because the hair is twisted. I should try a French braid styled rope braid and see if that stays up better than a normal French braid since the hair is twisted.

Corvana
July 22nd, 2017, 01:19 AM
My hair is also past APL and a braid won't stay up for me. My hair is layered so the layered parts just come out even in a French braid, so I wear low pigtails (two side ponytails below the ears). Not as much hair on one side that way. Or I do a modified peacock twist, where instead of clipping the hair at the back and letting the ends falll, I clip the hair at the top of my head near the end of the length. It stays up better than a French braid for me for some reason, I guess because the hair is twisted. I should try a French braid styled rope braid and see if that stays up better than a normal French braid since the hair is twisted.

You could also do pigtail french braids! I'd assume if your hair stays in regular low pigtails, then it'd probably also stay in those. And I wonder if a dutch braid would hold the hair a little differently? Since the braid in on the opposite side, the "twists" creating it are closer to the scalp and perhaps a bit more secure...

hayheadsbird
July 22nd, 2017, 02:47 AM
Ahh I have this problem too! I hate the feeling of a bump when sitting in a chair, etc. Most of the time I end up just letting it loose also :flower:
Same here. I just pull the stick out. And put it back up when I get up.

trolleypup
July 22nd, 2017, 12:55 PM
Depends, some positions I leave it in the bun, others, I let it down. Lots of marks on the wall from reading in bed with lots of pillows resting the bun against the wall.

JennyPenny
July 22nd, 2017, 02:36 PM
I either let it down, or put it up in a LWB or a braid (French, Dutch, or English). I try to switch it up so it's different throughout the week.

Rhoward
July 22nd, 2017, 04:10 PM
Two low plaits (braids) on either side of my head, or a really high bun or sometimes just loose :blossom:

NightSister
July 22nd, 2017, 04:15 PM
I wear it loose and draped over my shoulders. My hair is always braided when I leave the house so I like to enjoy it without risk of getting tangled :)

HairPlease
July 22nd, 2017, 05:02 PM
Even when it was mid back, I wore it down all the time. I get a terrible headache with any up-do except a loose single english braid. It's really sad. :(

vampyyri
July 22nd, 2017, 06:25 PM
Just a simple english braid, and I'll bun it if I'm doing chores

Simsy
July 22nd, 2017, 07:04 PM
Either in a bun, or in the work braids. I will loosely braid it after a wash but that's the only time I leave it down in any way

peachyleshy
July 22nd, 2017, 08:01 PM
Normally (or in the not so distant past), I would just wear it down if I wore it up all day, or I would put it up in a high bun with a claw clip if I had worn it down during the day. Now that I'm trying to wear my hair up everyday I will just keep it up in whatever it was in (because most days that is a comfy, high Nautilus bun with a hairstick). I find that I high bun is pretty comfortable when I'm sitting on my couch. In the car it can be a bit annoying so I have to slouch to the side a bit or lean my hair back more. I find a braid more annoying than a bun.

embee
July 23rd, 2017, 05:02 AM
My problem time is in my friend's car, the darn headrest hits the bun and makes me bend forward, very uncomfortable. I've learned if we are going to travel more than half an hour I need to make a topknot, not my regular bun. Even then that headrest is annoying, but at least it's not painful.

ETA: usually in a single stick bun. It's not a problem in my home.

*Wednesday*
July 23rd, 2017, 06:38 AM
Braided loosely or in a bun. I only have it down to air dry.

Hairkay
July 23rd, 2017, 09:32 AM
I've found that my plaits/braids are versatile. They'll work for any situation.

Jo Ann
July 23rd, 2017, 12:42 PM
Whatever strikes my mood! Usually down when it's close to beddy-bye time, definitely bunned while cooking, tossed over a shoulder, sleep braid, whatever I'm feeling comfortable doing... :p

Dendra
July 23rd, 2017, 01:07 PM
Claw clip, with two mini claw clips to hold up the extra tail. So comfy!

Andthetalltrees
July 23rd, 2017, 01:13 PM
Braided or down, as always :P

Cg
July 23rd, 2017, 02:15 PM
Bunned until I'm done fanning around for the day. Usually I let it down for an hour while I read before bed.

Siri
July 23rd, 2017, 05:32 PM
A loosely fastened high ponytail.

Dark40
July 23rd, 2017, 08:34 PM
I wear my hair loose at home during the day all of the time. Or, sometimes I'll wear it in a high ponytail or louse bun.

DweamGoiL
July 23rd, 2017, 08:41 PM
low side braid

Tassledown
July 24th, 2017, 12:52 AM
Headband, sleep braid, or whatever bun I have/had planned for the day.

Ankjo
July 24th, 2017, 12:49 PM
Braid or high loose bun.

ErinEM
July 24th, 2017, 01:22 PM
I nearly always wear my hair in a plain braid when I'm around home.

enting
July 24th, 2017, 02:36 PM
I'll do a topknot, a side braid, low pigtails, or I'll just leave it down but try to collect it over the front of one shoulder. I used to do the maneuver mentioned above where my hair goes over the arm of the couch, but my current couch has zippered cushions on the arms that eat my hair!

What about something like a buff or a wide fabric headband or bandana to keep it collected and somewhat protected?