PDA

View Full Version : Confused about my hair length ?

Leighash
July 21st, 2017, 02:10 AM
Hey everyone.
i have been on here for around 5 months now, I started at around 13 inches, so just between my shoulders and my shoulder blades.
I just measured my hair and it came up to 20 inches.
is that normal? I wasn't aware my hair had grown that long, my hairdresser always comments on my root regrowth when I go to get more brown blended into my hair.
i take HSN and multivitamins, maybe it's them?
but what I don't understand is that on charts, 20 inches looks longer than mine? My hair reaches between APL and BSL.
im sure I measured correctly, I just am surprised by the amount of growth - I never realised it at all!

lapushka
July 21st, 2017, 02:52 AM
Are you measuring the LHC way? From the top of your forehead (hairline), all the way back over your back, letting it drape? That is how you get the most accurate measurements.

7 inches in 5 months seems... a lot to me.

Leighash
July 21st, 2017, 02:57 AM
Are you measuring the LHC way? From the top of your forehead (hairline), all the way back over your back, letting it drape? That is how you get the most accurate measurements.

7 inches in 5 months seems... a lot to me.

Yes, I did it from my forehead all the way back.
Thats what I think too, I mean I'm not complaining if it's true aha, I think that the first time I measured in February must have been incorrect.
I know my hair does grow well, but as you said, 7 inches in that amount of time is strange.
Aaaa hair is confusing.

Corvana
July 21st, 2017, 03:26 AM
I think your first measurement was off... 13" for ~collarbone length is quite short. Or even for shoulder length. While we're all different, 13" on me is right at the base of my skull, which is about jaw length. 16" on me is shoulder. Now, APL is 23" on me (I think, it's hard to measure on my own and I forget to ask my husband to help).

diddiedaisy
July 21st, 2017, 09:02 AM
Hi, sounds like you've measured wrong. I'm short and my measurements are 16" shoulder, 20" apl and 24" bsl and so on increments of 4".

I don't always measure with a tape as I can get something different everytime. It's difficult to do on your own :)

draysmir
July 21st, 2017, 09:31 AM
7 inches does sound like a lot in 5 months, although I'm sure it's not impossible. You could have a fast growth rate, or a summer growth spurt maybe. It does sound like your hair is growing fast though, you went from SL to past APL in 5 months :D

I find measuring my hair to be inaccurate a lot of the time, maybe try measuring more regularly or going by just body markers. I find taking pictures every month helps show my progress pretty well, maybe you can take pictures whenever you measure as well? Or take a picture with the measuring tape? :)

For reference, I just measured where SL would be for me, and it's about 16". Your SL measurement might be a bit longer than what you measured it as, you could try to remeasure where SL would be on you and see if you still get 13". :)

akurah
July 21st, 2017, 02:25 PM
Other potential causes for discrepancy:

the fabricy-soft-tape style measures can sometimes stretch
If you're not using the same one, one of the two can be inaccurate
If you're not traveling the tape across almost the same spot on the scalp (for example, original measure might have been slightly to the right or left of the spot you measure this time, which might have artificially shortened it)

Deborah
July 21st, 2017, 10:29 PM
There are plenty of people whose hair grows faster than the average. Most likely you are one of them.