PDA

View Full Version : Why does my hair feel sticky/dirty?

JennyPenny
July 21st, 2017, 12:47 AM
I need some advice. We moved a week ago, and my hair routine has stayed the same. I just wash, then condition, and then some leave in conditioner. I wash every 2-3 days. I usually put my hair up in what I think is called a LWB using a hair stick, or braid it. I believe my hair has very low porosity.
At my old house, the water was very hard. Here it is much softer. I think that is the only difference in what could the problem, although I have no idea how to fix this.
After washing, 2 days ago I noticed my hair feel kind of sticky and dirty and straw-like right after washing. Normally my hair feels soft and silky and nice after a wash. Today, I washed again and I think it might be worse! I tried to shampoo a little more scrubby than I usually do (I am a gentle shampooer). I used extra leave in conditioner, and my hair still feels dry and just awful.
What is going on?

leayellena
July 21st, 2017, 01:33 AM
Are you sure the water in your new house is not actually harder than the water in your old house? try to find details about water in your area. search it on google like hard water in (area). if you are not sure what you find on google, try to used boiled water only. and finish your hair washing with a black tea rinse for example.

Sarahlabyrinth
July 21st, 2017, 03:10 AM
Have you tried clarifying your hair (washing it using a clarifying shampoo)? It might have buildup on it which needs cleaning off. Also you may need to use an acidic rinse after you wash it if you have hard water.

lapushka
July 21st, 2017, 04:28 AM
I need some advice. We moved a week ago, and my hair routine has stayed the same. I just wash, then condition, and then some leave in conditioner. I wash every 2-3 days. I usually put my hair up in what I think is called a LWB using a hair stick, or braid it. I believe my hair has very low porosity.
At my old house, the water was very hard. Here it is much softer. I think that is the only difference in what could the problem, although I have no idea how to fix this.
After washing, 2 days ago I noticed my hair feel kind of sticky and dirty and straw-like right after washing. Normally my hair feels soft and silky and nice after a wash. Today, I washed again and I think it might be worse! I tried to shampoo a little more scrubby than I usually do (I am a gentle shampooer). I used extra leave in conditioner, and my hair still feels dry and just awful.
What is going on?

Do you use a sulfate shampoo? If not, I recommend clarify-washing with a sulfate shampoo, and seeing where that takes you. Especially if you haven't done this in a long long time. It might be the water, but it might not be.

Obsidian
July 21st, 2017, 06:33 AM
Maybe try less conditioner and leave in. Product can be harder to rinse off in soft water.

saff.cel
July 21st, 2017, 07:08 AM
Are you sure the water in your new house is not actually harder than the water in your old house? try to find details about water in your area. search it on google like hard water in (area). if you are not sure what you find on google, try to used boiled water only. and finish your hair washing with a black tea rinse for example.

Jenny, I'm not sure if you're in the US, but if you are, Leayellena is right, and Culligan will come out and do a full panel on your water for free (hoping the results of the test will scare you into buying from them, and with most city water, they will.... closer to the water tower, the worse it is...). If you're really curious about water content this, is a great way to figure out exactly what is going on with your water situation for free! (I totally pay for an Reverse Osmosis filter, it's rented so I don't have to maintain it, costs me a little less than $40 a month, and means my daughter won't have fluoride streaks on her teeth from over fluoridation. I don't wash my hair in it, but I probably should. My city water is undrinkable, it actually feels rough going down and doesn't quench.)

Cherriezzzzz
July 21st, 2017, 08:23 AM
Everyone is going to say the same thing ;) clarifying your hair to remove old house hard water build up and forgo leave in conditioner for the moment till your hair is back to normal.

JennyPenny
July 22nd, 2017, 02:26 PM

I talked to my husband and he thinks the water here is actually harder than at the other house. We live in Northern California and the water is a private well. I have heard of rinsing with vinegar, but not with tea. Do you just make a cup of tea and rinse with that?

Have you tried clarifying your hair (washing it using a clarifying shampoo)? It might have buildup on it which needs cleaning off. Also you may need to use an acidic rinse after you wash it if you have hard water.

I think you are on to something. I have a bottle of generic Paul Mitchell Tea Tree Shampoo, which might be clarifying. It is really harsh and dries out my scalp, so I hardly use it at all.

Do you use a sulfate shampoo? If not, I recommend clarify-washing with a sulfate shampoo, and seeing where that takes you. Especially if you haven't done this in a long long time. It might be the water, but it might not be.

I think my shampoo and conditioner are both coney. I use Redkin all-soft. I tried switching to herbal essence and Pantene and my scalp got itchy and I got dandruff. For a while I used Dove dandruff shampoo, but am back to Redkin. I don't know how to pick out a sulfate shampoo. Do I just look for a shampoo that says it clarifies and assume it is sulfate?

Maybe try less conditioner and leave in. Product can be harder to rinse off in soft water.

Ok, I will cut down the conditioner and leave in. Although, I think I was wrong initially and the water here is actually harder, not softer.

Jenny, I'm not sure if you're in the US, but if you are, Leayellena is right, and Culligan will come out and do a full panel on your water for free (hoping the results of the test will scare you into buying from them, and with most city water, they will.... closer to the water tower, the worse it is...). If you're really curious about water content this, is a great way to figure out exactly what is going on with your water situation for free! (I totally pay for an Reverse Osmosis filter, it's rented so I don't have to maintain it, costs me a little less than $40 a month, and means my daughter won't have fluoride streaks on her teeth from over fluoridation. I don't wash my hair in it, but I probably should. My city water is undrinkable, it actually feels rough going down and doesn't quench.)

I am in the US. Will Culligan test water from a well? We are in a rural area and city water is not an option here.

Everyone is going to say the same thing ;) clarifying your hair to remove old house hard water build up and forgo leave in conditioner for the moment till your hair is back to normal.

Thank you for the tips. I think I was totally on the wrong path by over conditioning the last time I washed. I wash again tonight and am hoping for better results. I will try to run to the store today to get a clarifying shampoo. If I don't make it, I will use the tea tree shampoo.