PDA

View Full Version : Help with protective styles

xoChesleyy
July 20th, 2017, 06:33 PM
Hello LHCers! :) So, I am a COMPLETE newbie when it comes to hairstyles, especially protective styles...

I was mostly wearing my hair in a braid but I am trying to wear strictly updos to prevent additional tangling and to protect my ends.

I use spin pins and normally wear a cinnabun, because that's the only style I know how to do with my spin pins! The past two nights, I've woke up with my hair down because the bun fell down...Not sure if I just move around too much in my sleep or if I'm not doing them secure enough. :confused: Quite frustrating, though!

I recently got a hair cut recently so my hair is relatively short at the moment-- Around BSL, I think? I'm trying to not pay very much attention to the length at the moment so I don't stress it! Could anyone recommend me some simple protective hairstyles I could do at this length using spin pins? All the help is much appreciated!

Thank you! :blossom:

Frankenstein
July 20th, 2017, 09:26 PM
Have you thought about trying forks or sticks instead? I'm not a huge fan of spin pins and the only buns I can use them for are cinnabuns or figure 8s.

Corvana
July 20th, 2017, 10:28 PM
For sleeping, maybe try a sleep cap of some sort? Then you can just have your hair loose in it, but it's satin or silk or whatever so it reduces tangles and damage.

Deborah
July 20th, 2017, 11:50 PM
A flipped bun is a pretty variation of a cinnamon bun that is easy to do and holds better than the cinnamon bun. The flipped bun holds very well with spin buns, as does a French twist.

I would not recommend sleeping in a bun. I think it puts too much pressure on the scalp. For sleep a plain single braid down the back works very well to protect the hair from tangling. I just flip it up over the pillow.

Sarahlabyrinth
July 21st, 2017, 12:46 AM
I began using a sleep cap when my hair was about your length and the immediate lack of tangling was immediate. I would recommend them. I just have my hair loose inside the cap, also, it gives the hair and scalp a rest from having the hair up during the day.

JennyPenny
July 21st, 2017, 12:50 AM
I sleep with my hair braided and tucked in a pure silk sleep cap. It is almost always tangle free. Silk is amazing for my hair and really helps with my frizz and tangles.

Nique1202
July 21st, 2017, 04:44 AM
If your cinnabun is falling out overnight, I think you might be making it a little too loose. If you can't make it any tighter without it hurting, then you may have to wait for a little more length so the spin pins have more to hold on to at night.

Alternatively, spin pins work even better on braided buns than regular ones, so you could just make a regular braid and coil it into a cinnabun shape and pin that. Or, you could take up the quest to learn french braiding (so the hair has more surface gripping itself and holding itself in place) and twist the tail into a bun or tuck the tail up underneath the braid at night.

If you're tossing and turning that much at night that a cinnabun falls out of spin pins, then chances are a sleep cap won't help you, it'll just fall off too. As long as a bun is comfortable, not pulling anywhere, and you don't roll over onto it in an uncomfortable or painful way in your sleep, sleeping in a bun is just fine. I've been doing it for the last few years to no ill effect.

hayheadsbird
July 21st, 2017, 05:20 AM
I've been wearing my hair I. Protective styles for sleeping for about a year. Last few weeks I've just gone loose and let my silk pillowcase do its job. Surprisingly few tangles in the morning, more comfortable for sleeping and way less hassle. I don't know how long it will work for me, but just now it's the best solution I have. YMMV.

Simsy
July 21st, 2017, 06:33 AM
A braid, English/Dutch/French; and thread it either underneath or up one side of the braid; then pin the tail into place. I used to do mine on an angle from just above my ear to the opposite shoulder, then take the length and weave it over and under the braid; coil the ends up and pin neatly to the top of the braid and everything stays put.
Other options...
-pigtail braids and coil those into small buns, you may find they hold a bit better.
-simple hairstick bun and put the stick vertical
-put the bun up higher so it's less likely to pull on the pillow
-straight braid from a high pony and take the ponytail holder off, flop the braid up and over top of the pillow

Also make sure you are catching scalp hair with your pins. They don't hold much at all without scalp hair to stabilise.

Groovy Granny
July 21st, 2017, 10:52 AM
I can't do buns to sleep (sensitive scalp) or stand sleeping caps (too hot)!

I have a satin pillowcase, and I do a low/loose ponytail, or an English Braid; flipping both over the pillow.

I love spin pins (prefer the minis), but use them mostly to secure a bun or twist that is first put up with a hair toy.

My hair is almost at hip and is fine/wispy silver, and that's what works for me, with no tangles or damage.

Good luck....and enjoy the journey :cheer:

Priska
July 8th, 2022, 11:47 AM
If only protection matters, I think a low but pretty tight bun with a slippery crunchie is easiest hairdo that avoids pulling hairs in there. The basic "almost a ponytail" bun.

SandyBottom
July 8th, 2022, 02:35 PM
As so many here have already said, a sleep cap is very comfy and helpful at night. I'm not really sure what buns work at what lengths because I never knew how until classic! If you can manage a Lazy Wrap Bun with a fork or stick, that's a good beginner bun and even with my scalp sensitivities it never feels uncomfortable (at least for me). Forks and sticks can really expand your options. Maybe try some sort of Frame Bun where you braid or twist the hairs that frame your face and then finish it with something at the back. Have fun playing around while you figure out what works for you!

MusicalSpoons
July 8th, 2022, 04:23 PM
:cheese: Frankenthread alert, just so people are aware they are not replying to the OP in real time :wink:

(No, no sign of bots or spammers on this one either.)

SandyBottom
July 8th, 2022, 07:54 PM
Haha! How'd that happen?