I'm thinking of giving this a try

http://www.suryabodycare.com.au/henna_cream.html

Has anybody used it any opinions:cheese:

arylkin
October 27th, 2008, 09:43 AM
I'm thinking of giving this a try

http://www.suryabodycare.com.au/henna_cream.html

Has anybody used it any opinions:cheese:

I've used their red variety before- the color was very vibrant, but washed out rather quickly. My hair felt really nice afterwards though.

nastasska
October 28th, 2008, 03:38 AM
I'm thinking of mixing the Light Brown and the Golden Brown together.

How many weeks do you think it lasted?

My hair is a bit dry so it might last a bit longer

arylkin
October 28th, 2008, 10:20 AM
It was insanely bright at first (but I did red, so you wouldn't have that with brown) and then I think lasted with a decent color for maybe three weeks (it was a while ago though, so it may have been less time). I was washing my hair every day with shampoo back then though, so with washing less frequently or with CO I'm sure it would last longer.

maryva
October 29th, 2008, 11:06 AM
I just tried Surya brand henna cream in light brown, left it on my roots for 20 minutes, and the rest of my length for just a few minutes, and it seems to have covered my gray! It says it is "semi-permanent," and does list henna extract as an ingredient, but lots of other ingredients too. It says it is totally metal, chemical free, no ammonia or peroxide. Wish I had a digital camera so I could post a pic. My hair is still wet now, so I'll post an update after it dries. Is anyone familiar with this product?

ktani
October 29th, 2008, 11:34 AM
I just tried Surya brand henna cream in light brown, left it on my roots for 20 minutes, and the rest of my length for just a few minutes, and it seems to have covered my gray! It says it is "semi-permanent," and does list henna extract as an ingredient, but lots of other ingredients too. It says it is totally metal, chemical free, no ammonia or peroxide. Wish I had a digital camera so I could post a pic. My hair is still wet now, so I'll post an update after it dries. Is anyone familiar with this product?

Can you list the ingredients please?

wintersun99
October 29th, 2008, 11:39 AM
Ktani -

Surya cream Light Brown Ingredients (http://suryahenna.naturalproductsshopping.com/ingr/ingr495130.cfm)

It's not henna, but some type of commercial dye with "henna extract" added

p.s. here is the Cosmetics Info (http://www.cosmeticsinfo.org/ingredient_details.php?ingredient_id=280) link if anyone is curious what these ingredients are

ktani
October 29th, 2008, 11:41 AM
Ktani -

Surya creme Light Brown Ingredients (http://suryahenna.naturalproductsshopping.com/ingr/ingr495130.cfm)

Thank you.

I did find this. Read the first review. I did not yet verify the poster's comments.
http://www.amazon.com/Surya-Henna-Mahogany-Cream-70/dp/B0007DHMF6

Skin Deep is giving references now, a good thing IMO and they are current - 2006 in this case.
"ETHOXYDIGLYCOL
.... Safe as used in cosmetics according to industry panel (Cosmetic Ingredient Review, CIR)"
http://www.cosmeticsdatabase.com/ingredient.php?ingred06=702287&refurl=/product.php?prod_id=69417&&nothanks=1

mellie
October 29th, 2008, 12:16 PM
I think my mom tried this recently and she liked it but it faded fast...I think it was that brand...I might be wrong. It definitely sounded like the same ingredients though!

cocolover
October 29th, 2008, 05:29 PM
I've used it in the past several times, the results do fade. Mine lasted about a month, on my mother who has more gray, hers faded in a few weeks on the grays. It is very easy to use, but it does have some questionable ingredients in it, even though they say it is natural. I'm switching over to real henna for these reasons.

maryva
October 29th, 2008, 07:17 PM
Thanks everyone. There was a Surya henna powder too, which is just henna and indigo or alma I believe. That is the only brand of henna sold at my local health food store. I'm basically pleased with how the Surya henna cream looks now that my hair is dry, and surprisingly it did cover my resistant grays. I read some reviews and most were positive, the main complaint is that it has to be reapplied every week or two for 10 minutes. But it is easy to apply, and any solution left in the bottle can be saved to use again. I only used about 1/3 of the bottle this time. Does anyone know much about the "questionable" ingredients? Obviously if anything is unsafe I'd not want to use it, but based on my results today I would like to keep trying it for a while.

maryva
October 29th, 2008, 11:53 PM
If anyone knows anything about the ingredients in this henna creme I would appreciate any info. Wouldn't it still be better for the hair and health than chemical color? Thanks for any ideas on this.

Velouria
October 30th, 2008, 01:04 AM
Many of the ingredients in it are unnatural and probably not the healthiest, but none seem to be nearly as hazardous to hair or health as PPD dyes, ammonia, or peroxide.

It has a lot of the same ingredients as other commercial semi-permanent deposit-only dyes, like Clairol Loving Care and Jazzing, L'oreal Color Pulse, etc. Not to be confused with the *more* permanent semi-permanents (like Clairol "Natural Instincts", ha) that do contain PPD and peroxide, but no ammonia.

ktani
October 30th, 2008, 08:39 AM
A number of people have been reported to like Elumen.
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=5594

No peroxide, no ammonia, no PPD and it covers grey. It can be expensive though.

maryva
October 30th, 2008, 08:43 AM
Thanks so much ktani -- I'm checking into the elumen. I'm so thankful to have found this board, and for people like you who take the time to offer suggestions.

ktani
October 30th, 2008, 08:56 AM
Thanks so much ktani -- I'm checking into the elumen. I'm so thankful to have found this board, and for people like you who take the time to offer suggestions.

You are most welcome.

It has always been the generosity of LHC'ers that make these boards what they are. I am just following the examples set by many others.

wintersun99
October 30th, 2008, 08:59 AM
If anyone knows anything about the ingredients in this henna creme I would appreciate any info. Wouldn't it still be better for the hair and health than chemical color? Thanks for any ideas on this.

The link I provided and the link Ktani provided earlier in this thread are 2 cosmetics databases where you can look up the ingredients yourself, the database has good information for further research if you are really interested in learning.

ktani
October 30th, 2008, 09:02 AM
The link I provided and the link Ktani provided earlier in this thread are 2 cosmetics databases where you can look up the ingredients yourself, the database has good information for further research if you are really interested in learning.

I agree, both links are worth bookmarking, for future reference.

mellie
October 30th, 2008, 09:55 AM
Just wanted to correct my earlier post; my mom did not use Surya brand but Logona creme henna.

Rini
March 23rd, 2011, 12:51 PM
Resurrecting this thread. I have been looking at this product as a way for me to temporarily blend my old dyed hair with my new ashier/silver hair growth. They have a shade called "silver fox" which is reported to give a "greyish blonde" shade to bleached/dyed hair. The same for silver hair.

My aim would be to use this shade all over then I'd hopefully get an all-over more even shade of greyish blonde? It's apparently temporary too, so then I could just wash it out over time and reapply whenever my transition to silver gets too painful.

Sound like a good plan? I'm a bit worried about it having henna in the ingredients (although it's just an extract?) because I do NOT want to go down that path again!! I need to avoid warmth at all costs :rolleyes:

So has anyone used this lately?

afirefly
March 23rd, 2011, 04:14 PM
Surya Henna Cream contains Azo dyes which some folks do react to. So, parts of Surya cream are chemicals. You can also use the Surya powder Henna for supposedly all natural coloring. I've talked to many who use the cream and do love it for the bright color effect.
Hope that helps.

Rini
March 24th, 2011, 01:36 PM
thanks afirefly! I used to use henna (pure BAQ) for some years and don't want to go down the permanent route and definitely don't want a "colour" as such. Just a toning down of the warmer lengths and then a toning of my silvers (to match them up a bit more so the transition is not as obvious).

I'd really love to hear from any Silver Fox users??