PDA

View Full Version : Ayurvedic hair care.

Synester
July 19th, 2017, 09:53 PM
Been getting really into youtube videos on Ayurvedic hair care, I have type 2 hair and most videos ive seen are for curly to coily hair types. Would I benefit from it the same?
Also if anyone on here follows this kind of hair care regimen can you please list your favorite products and recipes. I am super into starting something like this.

leayellena
July 19th, 2017, 11:48 PM
try blogs then: https://www.banyanbotanicals.com/info/blog-the-banyan-insight/details/the-fascinating-connection-between-your-hair-and-your-skin. this is not exactly about the wave pattern, but the structure and health tendencies of your hair. I have a vata imballance.

Nymphe
July 20th, 2017, 05:45 AM
You should check out the Recipes, Henna, and Herbal Haircare part of the forum. Here is one of the threads about it: Indian Herbs and How to Use Them (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=21003). If you do a search in this forum, tons of posts on this subject will appear, most having your hair type.

Cherriezzzzz
July 20th, 2017, 07:09 AM
Coffee and make up on YouTube has a diy hair oil video using ayurvedic ingredients! Her hair turned out beautifully! I'm going to be trying it out using olive oil!

Ophidian
July 20th, 2017, 11:17 AM
There is ongoing discussion over the recipes henna and herbal haircare thread, and some in the hybrid WO thread (I derailed there a bit) :)

Synester
July 20th, 2017, 02:01 PM
thankyou i definitely will check it out.

Synester
July 20th, 2017, 02:02 PM
I love her youtube channel. I gotta find that video. must have glanced over it.

Cherriezzzzz
July 20th, 2017, 02:26 PM
https://youtu.be/TzmtJ1LwGwM

Sorry I meant to put the link in here ;)

ChloeDharma
July 21st, 2017, 12:42 PM

Wow five months! That is one patient person! Using neem powder in the oil is a great idea to get the benefits of neem without having to endure that awful stench from the oil, I also sometimes buy the dried leaves and infuse them like a tea then use that to rinse my hair and scalp, that works quite well.

Often youtubers use the term "ayurveda" when really they just mean traditional Indian ingredients and recipes. These were not developed just for curly and kinky hair and absolutely can be used by any hair type from 1a to 4c in one way or another. How you use them and what you use will of course depend on your individual needs but there does seem to be something for everyone if they want to try it out.
I have been using Indian ingredients and recipes for a long time now and have varied from using just an oil like mustard oil in my early teens to spending a few years exclusively herb washing and even followed the traditional method of daily oiling with herb infused oils and washing once a week keeping my hair in a contained style all the time except for when washing and oil massaging. This worked very well for me and my hair grew well when I stayed dedicated.
These days I am not so strict with my routine and do use commercial shampoos and conditioners for convenience but do also still make DT's from herbs like methi, brahmi and others and most of the time use Indian hair oils (my current favourites are the dhathri and ramtirth brahmi) and of course I use henna to colour my hair and for it's conditioning benefits

Oh and if you are interested in some other youtubers who share good recipes using Indian ingredients then Eve's Café and Steph Arizona do some good ones there are others but those are the only two names I can think of right now. Oh actually BeautyKLove has some nice videos too.

Synester
July 21st, 2017, 01:05 PM
thankyou for all the information and i love beautyKlove! been a huge fan for many many years. shes the person who inspired me to grow long.

mermaid_pranu
July 23rd, 2017, 10:48 AM
these are the things that I use-
1. Amla powder + fenugreek powder + aloe vera juice + a liquid to bind the ingredients and make a loose paste (Liq could be anything from coconut milk to yogurt to rose water)
2. hibiscus flowers + aloe vera (put fresh red flowers and aloe pulp in blender and make a paste)

and on days when I put heavy oils in my hair, I'd wash them with a concoction of de-seeded soap nut & shikakai (just boil the two in water and keep boiling till soap nut goes soft and always dilute the concoction with water before use)

Nymphe
July 23rd, 2017, 11:12 AM
these are the things that I use-
1. Amla powder + fenugreek powder + aloe vera juice + a liquid to bind the ingredients and make a loose paste (Liq could be anything from coconut milk to yogurt to rose water)
2. hibiscus flowers + aloe vera (put fresh red flowers and aloe pulp in blender and make a paste)

and on days when I put heavy oils in my hair, I'd wash them with a concoction of de-seeded soap nut & shikakai (just boil the two in water and keep boiling till soap nut goes soft and always dilute the concoction with water before use)
The hibiscus and aloe one sounds delicious. How does that mix behave on your hair?

mermaid_pranu
July 23rd, 2017, 11:32 AM
it gives amazing shine to the hair! and my scalp produces less sebum too!!

Nymphe
July 23rd, 2017, 11:40 AM
it gives amazing shine to the hair! and my scalp produces less sebum too!!

I use raw aloe with great results: super smooth hair and a clear scalp. Dried hibiscus flower or powder is on my list to try. Have you ever tried rose petal or powder?

mermaid_pranu
July 23rd, 2017, 02:27 PM
I use raw aloe with great results: super smooth hair and a clear scalp. Dried hibiscus flower or powder is on my list to try. Have you ever tried rose petal or powder?

do roses help for hair? I use rose water in hair packs only for the floral scent.

I've never tried just plain aloe. it's too sticky and stinky for my liking!

Cherriezzzzz
July 23rd, 2017, 03:39 PM
Wow five months! That is one patient person!...

Oh and if you are interested in some other youtubers who share good recipes using Indian ingredients then Eve's Café and Steph Arizona do some good ones there are others but those are the only two names I can think of right now. Oh actually BeautyKLove has some nice videos too.

Yes I was shocked when she said she let it sit for months on end! I'd also love to second the steph Arizona videos! Love her and her channel!

Cherriezzzzz
July 23rd, 2017, 03:40 PM
I was thinking about trying a hibiscus and amla "shampoo" but being a minimalist I must use up the shampoo bars I have first LoL They are from Chagrin Valley: ayurvedic and henna auburn.

Ophidian
July 23rd, 2017, 04:02 PM
I was thinking about trying a hibiscus and amla "shampoo" but being a minimalist I must use up the shampoo bars I have first LoL They are from Chagrin Valley: ayurvedic and henna auburn.

Hibiscus makes a really nice final rinse and is pretty acidic, so you could always try it after washing with a 'poo bar :)

Just fyi hibiscus and amla are known more as conditioning herbs and used on their own will only give you a very very mild cleansing. If you want herbs that can replace shampoo/soap, I might suggest looking into shikakai or aritha/soapnuts mixed in with your conditioning herbs like hibiscus and amla. Steph Arizona has some recipes on her channel, and the Indian Herb article here is super helpful too. Anyway, I try not to butt in with unsolicited advice, but I know if you're new to herbs there can be a lot of info to sort through.

Nymphe
July 23rd, 2017, 04:28 PM
do roses help for hair? I use rose water in hair packs only for the floral scent.

I've never tried just plain aloe. it's too sticky and stinky for my liking!

I know rosewater can be moisturizing, so I figured using rose petal powder could be even better.

The scent of aloe does not bother me. The only smell that make me cringe a little is neem oil. I still need to test that one on my hair.

genuinewicked
July 23rd, 2017, 06:01 PM
Yes I was shocked when she said she let it sit for months on end! I'd also love to second the steph Arizona videos! Love her and her channel!

I LOVE Steph Arizona and Coffee and Makeup. You can also check out Prussia on YouTube. She has gorgeous hair and some great videos! I've just started my "herbal" journey and am currently using hibiscus flowers and brewing them into a strong "tea" to use as a wash/rinse. I'm on the water only washing method right now, and I've found that the hibiscus really nourishes my hair, and also helps to cleanse some of the oils/greasiness from my hair as well. I'm going to do another hibiscus rinse tonight and am really looking forward to it :)

Cherriezzzzz
July 24th, 2017, 06:45 PM
Hibiscus makes a really nice final rinse and is pretty acidic, so you could always try it after washing with a 'poo bar :)

Just fyi hibiscus and amla are known more as conditioning herbs and used on their own will only give you a very very mild cleansing. If you want herbs that can replace shampoo/soap, I might suggest looking into shikakai or aritha/soapnuts mixed in with your conditioning herbs like hibiscus and amla. Steph Arizona has some recipes on her channel, and the Indian Herb article here is super helpful too. Anyway, I try not to butt in with unsolicited advice, but I know if you're new to herbs there can be a lot of info to sort through.

Please give me unsolicited advice! Haha I sort of assume that's why we're all here? :happydance: I still get a shock factor when ppl get rude on LHC when I just think I'd love to drain as much wisdom and experience out of ppl as I can!

Anyhow though, "back to topic!"

I did read that they were mild, but perhaps the article I read didn't portray how mild lol I will ABSOLUTELY be issuing hibiscus as a rinse! Thank you! My poor hubby hates my acv smell. He teases calling me salad hair haha cause I use oil and vinegar in my hair LoL! I love it though it's fun! He's just happy I'm growing it long and said I'll just end up changing what I do so he'll endure my "vinegar pillow!" Haha

I tried a soapnuts poo bar... made my skin inflamed? Even my face was all red and hot lol I'm a pink toned sensitive skinned redhead so I'm probably going to not use it again. I've never had a reaction like that to a poo bar. I'll look up shikakai! I've used neem fine. I'm just broaching the ayurvedic world but it's fun!

Cherriezzzzz
July 24th, 2017, 06:48 PM
I LOVE Steph Arizona and Coffee and Makeup. You can also check out Prussia on YouTube. She has gorgeous hair and some great videos! I've just started my "herbal" journey and am currently using hibiscus flowers and brewing them into a strong "tea" to use as a wash/rinse. I'm on the water only washing method right now, and I've found that the hibiscus really nourishes my hair, and also helps to cleanse some of the oils/greasiness from my hair as well. I'm going to do another hibiscus rinse tonight and am really looking forward to it :)

OOOH I THINK Prussia was the youtuber who got me started on poo bars... I tried wo and idk... I want to do it, but I "won't?" It's like being on a diet! Hahaha maybe the hibiscus would work for me in btwn washes I'm trying to stretch!?

Ophidian
July 24th, 2017, 07:05 PM
OOOH I THINK Prussia was the youtuber who got me started on poo bars... I tried wo and idk... I want to do it, but I "won't?" It's like being on a diet! Hahaha maybe the hibiscus would work for me in btwn washes I'm trying to stretch!?

I've done hibiscus as a sort of herbal co-wash before like genuinewicked mentioned. It does have very mild cleansing properties and is a bit astringent so I like it if I haven't oiled and only want a very light conditioning wash. Makes my hair super soft :). If your hair is light be aware that the infusion has a pretty intense color which can give hair a reddish tinge. So I've heard, but my hair is a bit too dark to have experienced this personally.

Anyway, I think rinses are a great way to ease into herbal hair care :).

Prussia has a video on washing with shikakai mixed with water into a mud. I like to mix it with conditioning herbs in more of a gravy consistency, but it's all personal preference. I find soapnuts a bit harsher than shikakai but others report the opposite so it's all trial and error. A good rule of thumb to start is half conditioning herbs (I've had experience with hibiscus, amla, and methi), and half cleansing herbs (shikakai or soapnuts generally) mixed with water into a tea, gravy, or mud depending on your preference. It is usually recommended to oil beforehand but experience has taught me to start very light since it can be hard to get out a heavy oiling. It's very possible, but can be a little stressful if you're just starting and just want clean hair.

ETA: there are threads full of great info in the recipes henna and herbal haircare forum, and an ongoing discussion of alternative washing methods in the hybrid WO thread, in case you have questions or want more ideas or info. I'm learning too but always happy to help and love sharing ideas :)

Synester
July 24th, 2017, 10:23 PM
I am just sitting here taking notes, thankyou everyone who has commented! all the knowledge and personal experiences are totally welcomed. i just want longer healthier hair. been going natural lately, but i still blow dry my hair ( i know i am the worst lol) but i have been dye free for 2 years now. its made a major difference.

Rebeccalaurenxx
July 24th, 2017, 11:32 PM

Thanks for that link. 5 months seems like a really long time. Could one just boil it in water and seep overnight to get the same results?
Why would one need to have the powder sit for 5 months? Seems like overkill to me. I am going to try that mixture though, I can do 6 weeks but 5 months.. sounds weird to me.

Cherriezzzzz
July 25th, 2017, 03:31 PM
Thanks for that link. 5 months seems like a really long time. Could one just boil it in water and seep overnight to get the same results?
Why would one need to have the powder sit for 5 months? Seems like overkill to me. I am going to try that mixture though, I can do 6 weeks but 5 months.. sounds weird to me.

I guess I would read the comments section to see if anyone asked her about the 5 months thing! My guess is maybe she had another oil she needed to use up? That's what happens to me and my bestie! We get over excited and buy too much at once! Haha

Aggie
December 16th, 2017, 06:53 PM
You should check out the Recipes, Henna, and Herbal Haircare part of the forum. Here is one of the threads about it: Indian Herbs and How to Use Them (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=21003). If you do a search in this forum, tons of posts on this subject will appear, most having your hair type.

Hi hon. Good to see you over here. I know your hair anywhere, lol.;)

ghanima
December 17th, 2017, 05:11 AM
Hair massage (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwN-IBIZe5c) from the Pura Institute in London. That woman has fantastic hair and skin!