PDA

View Full Version : Terminal Possibly...?

vampyyri
July 18th, 2017, 11:27 AM
Hey there, long time no see guys :waving:

So I'm in a bit of a conundrum, as you could probably tell by the title of this thread. I'm about 80% sure that I've hit my terminal length at TBL.

There's a few aspects that make me suspect this:

My sister's hair grew to BCL, and she hasn't had a proper cut in 20 years.
My hair had been the same length since March/April
My bangs grow at my usual .75"/month rate while the length stays the same.
I'm shedding more of these longest hairs (like if I go to stroke the ends of my braid to smooth the hair down, I get a few of the longest bits coming free).

Now for the devil's advocate side of this:

My life has been super stressful since March/April due to my anxiety/depression meds... and I quit them cold turkey due to the side effects.
I'm still anxious and depressed; therefore, I'm stressed out. I'm also losing my job at the end of September... which isn't helping my stress levels.
I started a new brand of birth control two months ago since my old one became discontinued. It has different hormones.

This very well could be terminal, or a false terminal... I should be close to CL right now, and I'm just...not. :justy:

What do you guys think? :ponder:

papayatree
July 18th, 2017, 11:31 AM
I don't know, I would wait it out and use benign neglect for a while, and if it doesn't grow, you are at terminal length. Hope this isn't the case though.

Decoy24601
July 18th, 2017, 01:04 PM
I doubt it honestly. I'd wait at least 1-2 years of absolutely no gain in length (no trimming) until you can call terminal. I just recently had something similar. For the last 8 or so months my hair didn't grow at all pretty much, and if it did it would just shed away. My hair has slowly started gaining length lately again, but it's sporadic. I think hair just does this sometimes as different lengths reach different phases in their growth cycle.

vampyyri
July 18th, 2017, 01:04 PM
I don't know, I would wait it out and use benign neglect for a while, and if it doesn't grow, you are at terminal length. Hope this isn't the case though.

Yeah, that's the plan... it's always up and I've been ignoring it. But every time I take it down to switch between my day and night updos, it seems to fall at the same point. Has been since March. It's very bizarre because I was growing at .75"-1" a month and then poof, nothing. :rolleyes:

papayatree
July 18th, 2017, 01:05 PM
I doubt it honestly. I'd wait at least 1-2 years of absolutely no gain in length (no trimming) until you can call terminal. I just recently had something similar. For the last 8 or so months my hair didn't grow at all pretty much, and if it did it would just shed away. My hair has slowly started gaining length lately again, but it's sporadic. I think hair just does this sometimes as different lengths reach different phases in their growth cycle.

Yep, hair grows at different rates at different times, so waiting is a key

vampyyri
July 18th, 2017, 01:16 PM

I really hope it's just a stall... I'm so close but yet so far from CL and it's driving me mad :justy: It's just so odd because during the summer I usually grow 1"+ a month—feels weird just sitting here and being like :?

*Wednesday*
July 18th, 2017, 01:16 PM
Stress can trigger shedding. It can drive follicles into the resting phase which is followed 3-4 month later with shedding. Medications going on or off can certainly affect, depending on your physiology. Sometimes Vitamin C and D can help, not fix, but help with shedding. If you are on medication, I would verify with your physician. Your growing phase can last 2-7 years. It can vary for each follicle. 80%-85% of your hair in a healthy head is in the growing phase. How long 80% lasts is another matter.

I would think if you were going “terminal”, you would notice a gradual thinning or tapering (maybe at waist) that terminal is getting close. The reason for this, the bulk of follicles may grow for example, 4 years, while a smaller few grow 5 years and another smaller 7 years. Thus you would see the tapering/thinner hemline as hair follicles drop off and the hair looks successively thinner. This is not the case for everyone.

I remember seeing a picture of your year anniversary a few months ago, your hemline didn’t have any taper.

vampyyri
July 18th, 2017, 01:44 PM
Stress can trigger shedding. It can drive follicles into the resting phase which is followed 3-4 month later with shedding. Medications going on or off can certainly affect, depending on your physiology. Sometimes Vitamin C and D can help, not fix, but help with shedding. If you are on medication, I would verify with your physician. Your growing phase can last 2-7 years. It can vary for each follicle. 80%-85% of your hair in a healthy head is in the growing phase. How long 80% lasts is another matter.

I would think if you were going “terminal”, you would notice a gradual thinning or tapering (maybe at waist) that terminal is getting close. The reason for this, the bulk of follicles may grow for example, 4 years, while a smaller few grow 5 years and another smaller 7 years. Thus you would see the tapering/thinner hemline as hair follicles drop off and the hair looks successively thinner. This is not the case for everyone.

I remember seeing a picture of your year anniversary a few months ago, your hemline didn’t have any taper.

You definitely have a point there with the possible interactions with the medication. A lot of things have been off since I quit paxil the way I did.

I don't think it's a vitamin issue, I take a multi daily. The shedding hasn't been more than usual, but I notice it moreso in the longest hairs (unless that's my anxiety talking).

As for a taper, I do have a one, but not like how you've described... :hmm:

Perhaps I'm freaking out over nothing... (what else is new :rolleyes: )

Serimel
July 18th, 2017, 02:00 PM
From your hemline I would never think you're even nearby hitting the terminal. At least I really wish so!

lapushka
July 18th, 2017, 03:11 PM
1/ the stress
2/ the medication issue
3/ the hormone issue

are all *major* things that can't be ignored where hair growth comes in.

So I doubt it's terminal. True terminal is virgin, healthy hair, without all these issues.

gthlvrmx
July 18th, 2017, 03:24 PM
When you think you're getting to terminal, give it maybe 3-10 years. Really, the stalls can take that long to grow an extra few inches or an inch at longer lengths. Have you checked if your hair isn't breaking off? Are you protecting the ends by keeping it up in a protective updo very often?

Also, if you are growing out from a U, V, or blunt cut, terminal will be more noticeable on some people because it usually grows into fairytaled hair, which can take a while to get to.

I also hit a small stall here at midback/waist. My hair was too dry with shampoo and the answer was going back to what worked for me before: CO washing! It needed the extra moisture and now after S&Ding, there are less and less splits and broken hairs that I find.

It seems as if terminal would have been soon for me since my hair is fairytaled and it just didnt want to grow for months, but I have been at BCL before so I know it is not terminal for me.

Baby your hair, give it the moisture it needs and protect those ends very well. Just give it some time and see where you get.

vampyyri
July 18th, 2017, 03:31 PM
1/ the stress
2/ the medication issue
3/ the hormone issue

are all *major* things that can't be ignored where hair growth comes in.

So I doubt it's terminal. True terminal is virgin, healthy hair, without all these issues.

This is very true... all of these things could be seriously messing with my potential growth.

When you think you're getting to terminal, give it maybe 3-10 years. Really, the stalls can take that long to grow an extra few inches or an inch at longer lengths. Have you checked if your hair isn't breaking off? Are you protecting the ends by keeping it up in a protective updo very often?

Also, if you are growing out from a U, V, or blunt cut, terminal will be more noticeable on some people because it usually grows into fairytaled hair, which can take a while to get to.

I also hit a small stall here at midback/waist. My hair was too dry with shampoo and the answer was going back to what worked for me before: CO washing! It needed the extra moisture and now after S&Ding, there are less and less splits and broken hairs that I find.

It seems as if terminal would have been soon for me since my hair is fairytaled and it just didnt want to grow for months, but I have been at BCL before so I know it is not terminal for me.

Baby your hair, give it the moisture it needs and protect those ends very well. Just give it some time and see where you get.

I've worn my hair up every day for nearly the past year, and my routine keeps it nice and hydrated/smooth. I don't see any breakage, other than the usual odd split end that I snip off. My hair's rarely down except for drying, and I finger comb only.

I have been having some issues with sebum buildup (as I usually do in the summer), but a good clarifying wash took care of that issue.

Other than that, I've been using the same routine for months now... it's very bizarre.

meteor
July 18th, 2017, 03:33 PM
I'd stop measuring, to be honest. It's just easy to get discouraged, since growth is a very, very slow process (even though that's actually one of the fastest-growing cell populations in our body). And sometimes stalls and heavy shedding periods happen - it can be all part of a longer process...
Personally, every time I reach a milestone, I feel like my hair stopped growing completely, but that's because I don't leave it alone for like 6 months or a year before looking at it. And then - sure enough, it does grow, about a whole milestone every year or two. Also, I wouldn't necessarily look at other relatives for figuring out your own terminal, unless you know everything about their haircare practices and their health status. There are so many reasons people may have shorter hair than their potential terminal...
Just try to give your hair your best care and don't expect much in return - it will pleasantly surprise you, if you just give it enough time! ;) :blossom:
Good luck and happy growing! :cheer:

embee
July 18th, 2017, 04:33 PM
Your hair in your siggy doesn't look term to me. As said upthread, where's the taper? Where's the farytale ends?

I suggest finding something else to think about, cause your hair looks lovely (and I am envious). How you are able to do the things you do, like that braidy princess hair. oooof. You have long hair. That's a given. :)

Just a random question - those *longest* hairs you say are shedding out, where do they go down to? I have maybe 3 or 6 that go to mid *thigh*!!! Amazing. Been like that for a few years. :) They're all alone, nobody grows out to join them. I can just sit on the ends of my hair and I think it's on a few more than those half dozen. :)

Are you eating healthy? That can make a difference, you've been going on and off meds, and that takes a while to settle.

Wildcat Diva
July 18th, 2017, 04:36 PM
Almost everyone gets stalls, and some people grow a few more inches after years of hanging at the same length. Worth it to look at ideas you can control, like if you are getting enough vitamin D and stuff like that. Reduce stress, drink water, exercise, get enough protein, etc. Then wait and see. Enjoy what you have, hair-wise, until the next phase of adventures.

spidermom
July 18th, 2017, 04:50 PM
Is there a reason that you need to figure this out. Like - once you reach your goal of terminal length, do you plan to do something different at that point?

All I can tell you is that trolleypup's hair seemed to be terminal at classic length for years, then it began to get longer. Time passes; your hormone levels or general state of health changes; your hair changes. Sometimes it's impossible to figure out exactly what's going on. Best relax and enjoy what you have or go ahead and do something new.

vampyyri
July 18th, 2017, 08:27 PM
I'd stop measuring, to be honest. It's just easy to get discouraged, since growth is a very, very slow process (even though that's actually one of the fastest-growing cell populations in our body). And sometimes stalls and heavy shedding periods happen - it can be all part of a longer process...
Personally, every time I reach a milestone, I feel like my hair stopped growing completely, but that's because I don't leave it alone for like 6 months or a year before looking at it. And then - sure enough, it does grow, about a whole milestone every year or two. Also, I wouldn't necessarily look at other relatives for figuring out your own terminal, unless you know everything about their haircare practices and their health status. There are so many reasons people may have shorter hair than their potential terminal...
Just try to give your hair your best care and don't expect much in return - it will pleasantly surprise you, if you just give it enough time! ;) :blossom:
Good luck and happy growing! :cheer:

Perhaps I got too used to my super growth phase... because this feels very odd to me. I'm so used to the stuff basically flying out of my head that having it seemingly stop is alarming.
My sister was always my hair-spiration, being the little sister and I wanted to be just like her! :lol: Her routine/hairtype is much different than mine (She's a heavy cone user and is 1a/F/i/ii if I remember correctly). Her and I are the only females in the family pushing this boundary, and I'm honestly surprised that I surpassed her as much as I have! I know we're all different and that I shouldn't compare like that but I'm in uncharted territory for sure. :bigeyes:

Your hair in your siggy doesn't look term to me. As said upthread, where's the taper? Where's the farytale ends?

I suggest finding something else to think about, cause your hair looks lovely (and I am envious). How you are able to do the things you do, like that braidy princess hair. oooof. You have long hair. That's a given. :)

Just a random question - those *longest* hairs you say are shedding out, where do they go down to? I have maybe 3 or 6 that go to mid *thigh*!!! Amazing. Been like that for a few years. :) They're all alone, nobody grows out to join them. I can just sit on the ends of my hair and I think it's on a few more than those half dozen. :)

Are you eating healthy? That can make a difference, you've been going on and off meds, and that takes a while to settle.

My longest hairs are probably 3-4 inches from classic if I stretch them.
I see what you're saying though, the ends aren't fairytaling yet, they're just as they have always been, but seemingly stuck in their tracks.
As for healthy eating, I'm vegetarian and I supplement b vitamins and iron, and get my protein from legumes. Same as always, diet's been the same for coming on three years now!
& thank you! You can thank Lunnafindel for the princess hair, she did that style on me during the NYC meetup in December of last year. I don't think I'll ever change my siggy :lol:

Almost everyone gets stalls, and some people grow a few more inches after years of hanging at the same length. Worth it to look at ideas you can control, like if you are getting enough vitamin D and stuff like that. Reduce stress, drink water, exercise, get enough protein, etc. Then wait and see. Enjoy what you have, hair-wise, until the next phase of adventures.

Thanks WD :flower: the stress is all-encompassing right now, and sadly it won't be over until this job comes to a close. It's very discouraging going in when we're closing in two months, it's really messing with my mental health.
It's part of the reason why I'm back here, I need my LHC friends!! I always hermit real hard when things are going sour, but I'm trying my best to break that cycle. Festering in it isn't doing anyone any favors.

Is there a reason that you need to figure this out. Like - once you reach your goal of terminal length, do you plan to do something different at that point?

All I can tell you is that trolleypup's hair seemed to be terminal at classic length for years, then it began to get longer. Time passes; your hormone levels or general state of health changes; your hair changes. Sometimes it's impossible to figure out exactly what's going on. Best relax and enjoy what you have or go ahead and do something new.

Honestly, I just want to get to classic and call it a wrap. My initial goal when joining here is where I am now, but... I just love the look of CL hair! If it grows past that, it's going to get trimmed back up and be maintained. It's basically something to look forward to at the end of the day.

That is sound advice, I had no idea about trolleypup's hair! It's very encouraging to know that—I just need to let my body heal from all of these things out of my control I suppose and not sweat it so much.

Alissalocks
July 21st, 2017, 07:47 AM
All I can tell you is that trolleypup's hair seemed to be terminal at classic length for years, then it began to get longer. Time passes; your hormone levels or general state of health changes; your hair changes. Sometimes it's impossible to figure out exactly what's going on.

I was thinking about a post I read from trolleypup too, something like he had a stall around 50-something inches in length, and it lasted for a year or more (?) but started up again? Last pic we saw, he was at knee I think?

I remember the story bc it gave me encouragement to remember that even if my hair "stops growing," it may just need to catch its breath before it actually gets going again.

I'm so glad to see you back, vampyrii, did your hubby's beard out grow your hair? (From my thread elsewhere on the boards) I won my "race" between me and mine. :laugh:

Cherriezzzzz
July 21st, 2017, 08:00 AM
Here's an odd question but do you have to be on birth control? Hormones are so vital to hair growth... think of ALL the wonderful (though not everyone) growth pregnant women have of their hair! If your last birth control tricked your body into thinking it's already pregnant (some birth control works this way) then it's possible you were experiencing pregnancy like growth. One inch a month is quite a lot. Although I'm not on birth control and I do get that growth as well... but even more when I was pregnant! New birth control and hence new hormones is my number one suspect! Change your birth control to hormones your body was doing better on. Having sudden no growth is not a healthy sign imo. When people are healthy, hormones are aligned properly, hair grows... stress or not lol There are a trillion different options for birth control but I'd get this current one out of your system and go onto the same type you had before. You may not get that exact one, but odds are there is another brand more similar to your former kind. Do not underestimate the physical changes of hormones... That's my red flag in your situation.

martyna_22
July 21st, 2017, 08:39 AM
The stress thing may contribute a grea deal. As for the contraceptives.. Are you using 4th generation pills? That'd be either ethynyloestradiol + dienogest or enthynyloestradiol + drospirenone. Commercial names are always different, but it's usually all the same. If so, they should actually protect from hair loss.
Dienogest would be even better in that case, due to its anti-androgen effects.
The 3rd generation pills are a little bit worse.
Anyway, let me know if you know the substance, and I, a past pharmacology student might tell you a thing or two.

LizzyGrant
July 21st, 2017, 12:14 PM
I would also suspect the new birth control. Different hormones might cause your hair growth get slower/stall. If that is the reason, maybe after awhile your body will get used to them. Some of them might have side effects like slower hair growth, thinning or even terminal hair loss, which is not that common though. I recently got new birth control pills which don't have these side effects and are supposed to have "lighter" hormones.

vampyyri
July 21st, 2017, 05:54 PM
I was thinking about a post I read from trolleypup too, something like he had a stall around 50-something inches in length, and it lasted for a year or more (?) but started up again? Last pic we saw, he was at knee I think?

I remember the story bc it gave me encouragement to remember that even if my hair "stops growing," it may just need to catch its breath before it actually gets going again.

I'm so glad to see you back, vampyrii, did your hubby's beard out grow your hair? (From my thread elsewhere on the boards) I won my "race" between me and mine. :laugh:

I won that one by several inches :lol: his beard has definitely hit its terminal :p

Here's an odd question but do you have to be on birth control? Hormones are so vital to hair growth... think of ALL the wonderful (though not everyone) growth pregnant women have of their hair! If your last birth control tricked your body into thinking it's already pregnant (some birth control works this way) then it's possible you were experiencing pregnancy like growth. One inch a month is quite a lot. Although I'm not on birth control and I do get that growth as well... but even more when I was pregnant! New birth control and hence new hormones is my number one suspect! Change your birth control to hormones your body was doing better on. Having sudden no growth is not a healthy sign imo. When people are healthy, hormones are aligned properly, hair grows... stress or not lol There are a trillion different options for birth control but I'd get this current one out of your system and go onto the same type you had before. You may not get that exact one, but odds are there is another brand more similar to your former kind. Do not underestimate the physical changes of hormones... That's my red flag in your situation.

Yes, I HAVE to be on birth control. I am never having children... for many reasons.
Also, I do need to be on it due to PCOS or I will have ovarian cysts that will rupture. It also controls my PMDD.
I had to go with a cheaper alternative that won't break the bank as well since I'm losing my job and will be losing my health insurance. There's nothing comparable that is within my budget unless I feel like paying $400 a month. Which is not viable when you're going to be living on unemployment and have bills to pay.

The stress thing may contribute a grea deal. As for the contraceptives.. Are you using 4th generation pills? That'd be either ethynyloestradiol + dienogest or enthynyloestradiol + drospirenone. Commercial names are always different, but it's usually all the same. If so, they should actually protect from hair loss.
Dienogest would be even better in that case, due to its anti-androgen effects.
The 3rd generation pills are a little bit worse.
Anyway, let me know if you know the substance, and I, a past pharmacology student might tell you a thing or two.

I'm using a generic of Loestrin Fe, Junel Fe 1/20.

I would also suspect the new birth control. Different hormones might cause your hair growth get slower/stall. If that is the reason, maybe after awhile your body will get used to them. Some of them might have side effects like slower hair growth, thinning or even terminal hair loss, which is not that common though. I recently got new birth control pills which don't have these side effects and are supposed to have "lighter" hormones.

I haven't experienced thinning or shedding at all, if anything I'm shedding less. Also my period pain/menstruation is very tolerable and I can actually go into work instead of staying home on day one of my cycle.

PixieP
July 21st, 2017, 06:45 PM
With PCOS no hormonal birth control is a no go! We lack estrogen and need the extra estrogen in BC to make the estrogen/testosterone level balanced. Too much testosterone in a female body is not good, for the hair or the rest of the body. Some years ago I went two years without hormonal BC (before I knew I had PCOS) and I started getting male pattern baldness (and also male body hair... NOT FUN). The hair at my temples have never recovered 100%.

Madora
July 21st, 2017, 10:31 PM
I'd wait a good 5 years, at the very least, before beginning to worry if my hair had reached terminal. My hair was stalled at past tailbone for more than a year before it started showing signs of increased growth. It continued growing a little past knee and a strand or two was at calf when I had to cut it shorter due to arthritis. Patience is key in the growing game!

LizzyGrant
July 22nd, 2017, 10:24 AM
I haven't experienced thinning or shedding at all, if anything I'm shedding less. Also my period pain/menstruation is very tolerable and I can actually go into work instead of staying home on day one of my cycle.

It's good to hear that it has helped you this way :) Anyway I'm sorry to hear that you're going through a stressful time. Do you know if quitting those depression medicines could cause this? Propably not.. I'm not very familiar with them. What about getting enough vitamins, like vitamin D? Anyway just give it time and try not to worry too much about your hair growth. You have very pretty hair by the way! :blossom:

Dark40
July 23rd, 2017, 08:48 PM
I doubt that you are at terminal length. Stress can play a factor in hair shedding. I also take lots of medications as well. But I do have minimal shedding but my hair is still growing long. It's an inch above WL. I was hoping to be at WL by this passed April but didn't make it. Well, at least I've almost made it through the milestone this month!!

hobbitlocks
July 24th, 2017, 01:23 PM
For what it's worth, I was on Junel FE for years and noticed no issues with my hair! I only switched to a different version because I moved and changed plans and they wanted me to take a different Loestrin generic for whatever reason. Obviously, these things are different for everyone though. Stress is so hard on our bodies/minds, sending some peace and love your way :blossom:

martyna_22
July 30th, 2017, 04:10 PM
Norethindrone Acetate, which is in the pills you're taking might have an effect on the shedding. It has slight androgen-like properties, so it's definitely not protecting you from hair fall, and might be causing a little, but not to a big extent.