PDA

View Full Version : Stuff helpful for seborrheic dermatitis

Natashap
July 15th, 2017, 11:17 PM
HI folks,
JUST thought of starting this thread as over years everyone with different scalps have found few things worth sharing for curing or preventing SD.
Here is list for me;avoiding very harsh sulfate shampoos,change of seasons ,hormonal imbalance,
gentle mild shampoos ,Head and shoulders (few times a week),eating less white bread.

Also washing my towels and pillow covers frequently.

very strong sulfate shampoos give me a flare always(observed by me)

please share yours,it helps all of us here.

parkmikii
July 16th, 2017, 01:14 AM
For me it's clotrimazole solution left on scalp for 24 hours before wash. In 3 weeks the shedding should decrease and in 3 months it should get back to normal and the scalp should be as before. Monistat didn't do much for me, I suspect it's because I only found miconazole cream and i had to dillute it with a bit of water so it became ineffective.

lapushka
July 16th, 2017, 03:05 AM
You might want to check out the SD support thread too!
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=54045

Me? I have to use harsh sulfates. I am a weekly washer, so the gunk has got to go by weeks' end. Even washing 2 times a week with something milder won't cut it. It's something about the composition of the shampoos that just exacerbates the SD for me. This works for me at keeping the SD at bay.

I last had to wash with Nizoral 2% a few weeks ago, as I had flakes at my temple area all the way back into my hair. I had this for a long time ere the penny dropped.

That's what works for me. I don't change out pillow cases frequently. I just go with the routine that my bedding gets changed at. I do flip the pillow over after a number of days. So that helps!

Kikyou
July 17th, 2017, 11:58 AM
I haven't found the 100% routine yet (Selsun seems to be helping a lot though), but I know what makes it much better - diet. I have other fungal problems once in a while as well, mostly bowels that don't behave well, and keeping a diet low in sugar makes the SD much less severe (and my stomach pains the same). Carbs are ok, we need carbs (especially people who work intensively), but all added sugar should be gone. No sweets at all. No sugary drinks. No sugar in the tea. Small amount of fruits, and fresh only (no ready-made soaked with syrup). No honey. No diary (or only fermented dairy). Low white flour products. Diet based on veg&meat with smaller carb content (just add broccoli to your pasta and the overall carb content of a meal drops, since you will eat less pasta than without veg) makes me feel so much better. I'm failing with it very often, since I learned not to buy sweets, but I cannot always refuse when people give them to me (colleagues, family). And once I have something sweet, the ex-sugar addict in me wakes up and I end up eating awfully for weeks. And guess what happens? My stomach goes crazy, my acne breaks out, my SD flares up... I get to the point I cannot sleep because of constant nausea and go on a healthy diet again. I'm on this stage now. Keep fingers crossed. It's a little like being an alcoholic on detox, the only difference is people don't treat it seriously and when I refuse sweets they put pressure on me to eat them.