PDA

View Full Version : My silk pillowcase is kinda rough? Will it still work?

demigoddess
July 14th, 2017, 04:58 AM
I'm a bit worried that the silk pillowcase I have purchased will not be effective in hair and skin benefits because it doesn't feel that soft. I live in South africa and the only place I could get a silk pillow case was to order one from The Silk Lady - http://thesilklady.com/

It is apparently 100% organic silk with a satin weave. 19 Momme.

I struggle to find silk pillowcases that doesn't cost and arm and a leg to ship to South Africa.

Can anyone shed some light on whether or not this pillowcase might be okay?

lapushka
July 14th, 2017, 06:14 AM
I don't see why it would be bad. I think it should be fine. Is it rough? Maybe it needs to be washed first then, so that might soften it. Handwash it, though!!!

TatsuOni
July 14th, 2017, 09:39 AM
I haven't tried silk, but for my satin pillowcases I have to iron them to get them nice and smooth after wash. But be careful if you iron your silk ones :)

lapushka
July 14th, 2017, 10:10 AM
Errr... can you iron silk, even, won't that stick to your iron?

TatsuOni
July 14th, 2017, 10:20 AM
Errr... can you iron silk, even, won't that stick to your iron?

Yes you can, but it's best to have a towel beetwen the iron and the silk and do it on a low temperature.

meteor
July 14th, 2017, 10:39 AM
I think I've felt some silk that I thought was kind of rough, too. I think a big factor there is processing and also the weave, of course. Silk satin/charmeuse should be OK, but honestly, the smoothest materials I've found were some forms of polyester... :shrug: I don't avoid those synthetic materials, anymore, because I think it's the texture that rubs against your hair fiber that's the most important thing, so the smoother, the better IMHO, though of course coolness and "breathing" are important, as well. It's a very personal thing, of course, as always. :flower:

lapushka
July 14th, 2017, 03:44 PM
I think I've felt some silk that I thought was kind of rough, too. I think a big factor there is processing and also the weave, of course. Silk satin/charmeuse should be OK, but honestly, the smoothest materials I've found were some forms of polyester... :shrug: I don't avoid those synthetic materials, anymore, because I think it's the texture that rubs against your hair fiber that's the most important thing, so the smoother, the better IMHO, though of course coolness and "breathing" are important, as well. It's a very personal thing, of course, as always. :flower:

The softest and easiest in the wash - so far - is microfiber bedding. No joke, this stuff is amazing. I recommend it to everyone these days. I especially like the pillow cases, but the duvet cover is nice as well. Very smooth, very silky. You don't have to iron it - at all. Bonus.

cathair
July 14th, 2017, 06:33 PM
If it's a satin weave, it should be fine. It looks like what her pillows were designed for. Does it catch on your skin if you run you hand flat across it? As long as it's smooth I wouldn't worry too much about softness.

I have some sari silk I bought for making hair stuff, it's extremely rough to touch, do not recommend. It's very inappropriate for hair, it feels very rough to touch and it does catch on things. So as other have said it's more about the weave than the material.