PDA

View Full Version : I hate wet hair!

Rebeccalaurenxx
July 13th, 2017, 04:36 PM
Is there anyone else like me here?
I like the process of washing but I hate sitting with wet hair!
I have been air drying for years, and the longer my hair gets the more annoying it can be sometimes!
Anyone else hate the feeling of wet hair?

:)

Sarahlabyrinth
July 13th, 2017, 04:43 PM
I'm not too keen on it :p

You could blow dry it if it bothers you that much, just don't have it on too hot, and stop before the hair is bone dry.

Rebeccalaurenxx
July 13th, 2017, 04:44 PM
I'm not too keen on it :p

You could blow dry it if it bothers you that much, just don't have it on too hot, and stop before the hair is bone dry.

I dont own a blow dryer! :P

MidnightMoon
July 13th, 2017, 04:45 PM
I don't like it either. Sometimes when it's too hot it can bring some relief, but most of the time it's just a pain. I dislike its texture, having it drip on my back and everything it touches, and then having it touch my arms and rest of the body.

school of fish
July 13th, 2017, 04:56 PM
I consider myself lucky - my hair air dries VERY quickly, so I don't have to endure it for long stretches at a time (it's one of the reasons I can bear to wash every day, but that's another topic). Wet hair only really bugs me in winter when it's so bloody cold that it feels like cruel punishment - that's when I break out the blowdryer and just make the wet go away ;)

Although my hair dries really fast loose, it NEVER dries when contained in a bun or braid - and that feeling I just can't stand! It also leaves my hair with a weird unpleasant plasticky texture and seems to lock tangles in even if it went up perfectly detangled... just awful!

wo
July 13th, 2017, 05:21 PM
I hate it too. I only wash once or twice a week, and I plan it so I can just sit around lazily while it dries for two hours (not too bad) because I hate the feeling of my wet hair swinging around if I'm busy around the house. Haha... But I just hate being wet period, not only my hair.

ChloeDharma
July 13th, 2017, 05:27 PM
Same here. I hate it when it's winter most of all and no matter how wrapped up my body is I just feel like I can't stop shivering when my hair is wet. Even in summer I dislike wet hair as I dont like to tie it up before it's dry as it stays wet mostly and dries in a weird shape so then I have to leave it hanging and swinging around annoying me.I'm also conscious of it being more fragile when wet so feel quite paranoid about it touching just about anything.
These days I tend to gently blow dry it as it's just easier and gives a better result, not to mention the time saved!

akurah
July 13th, 2017, 05:42 PM
If you have a small space heater, and if it's not too hot, you can put it on something like a dresser, put it in low, and park in front of it with a chair. I would sometimes do this in the cooler months.

Stormynights
July 13th, 2017, 05:46 PM
It takes all day for my hair to dry when it is loose and 2 days in a loose braid and I don't think it would ever dry in a bun. I gave my hair dryer away. I like to plop my hair in a buff and put a microfiber towel around my neck. I sleep like that and eventually it will get dry. I hate wet hair too.

MoonRabbit
July 13th, 2017, 06:08 PM
Yep, takes 4+ hours for my hair to dry. I don't know why, it's below average thickness. Plopping has really made a difference in dealing with wet hair, once I take down the plop it doesn't drip on me. But I really dislike knowing I can't touch it or put it up out the way until fully dry.

Whenever my partner gets out of the shower, his hair is almost completely dry by the time he gets dressed. It's crazy.

MoonRabbit
July 13th, 2017, 06:08 PM
Yep, takes 4+ hours for my hair to dry. I don't know why, it's below average thickness. Plopping has really made a difference in dealing with wet hair, once I take down the plop it doesn't drip on me. But I really dislike knowing I can't touch it or put it up out the way until fully dry.

Whenever my partner gets out of the shower, his hair is almost completely dry by the time he gets dressed. It's crazy.

ETA Sorry for the double post.

Larki
July 13th, 2017, 06:28 PM
I only don't like the feeling of it on my skin, so I keep it wrapped in my towel for a few minutes while I get dressed. My hair only takes about an hour and a half to dry. The ends, the last two or three inches, are dry basically from the second I take the towel off.

TheLuckyLurker
July 13th, 2017, 07:35 PM
Oh, definitely. That's why I hate washing my hair. So the fact that apparently I'm going to have to start washing it more often after years of weekly washing is super awesome.

Simsy
July 13th, 2017, 07:44 PM
If I thought I could get away with never getting my hair wet ever again, I probably would. Unfortunately, the curls are annoying when I brush them, which is the only alternative to washing I could find. So I wash, then stick everything into a muslin cloth like a turban for about 1/2 hour to get the worst wet off.

I have sort of settled on loosely rope raiding the length and coiling it into a loose cinnibun, held with claw clips. Leave in for a few-several hours and pull down late afternoon. By that point it's usually dry/damp so won't take long to finish drying.

ReadingRenee
July 13th, 2017, 09:41 PM
I feel the same. Before my big trim my hair was getting long enough where it took hours and hours to dry and I had started washing my hair only every 6 days because I was trying to avoid having to go through the wet hair ordeal. I did get a microfiber turbie twist and I plop with it for at least an hour or so, after I squeeze my hair out with a big microfiber towel, so that helps. But, yeah, I can't stand how long it takes to dry and the feeling of it.

Jo Ann
July 13th, 2017, 10:20 PM
I sat outside on my porch (stoop? lanai?) and let mine air dry...took a couple of hours...

Usually, I bun mine when wet and let it dry slowly. Some here use microfiber cloths/towels to get more moisture off of their hair and it's reputed to cut the drying time considerably.

Rebeccalaurenxx
July 13th, 2017, 10:24 PM
I sat outside on my porch (stoop? lanai?) and let mine air dry...took a couple of hours...

Usually, I bun mine when wet and let it dry slowly. Some here use microfiber cloths/towels to get more moisture off of their hair and it's reputed to cut the drying time considerably.

It's like 92 degrees every day and if I leave it in a braid and go out, the heat still doesn't dry my hair lmao

Jo Ann
July 13th, 2017, 10:42 PM
Been there, done that...hated it! :p

We are getting temps like that here now (Tampa Bay area on the West Coast), but the humidity! Can you say "OMG"?

lapushka
July 14th, 2017, 02:28 AM
I feel like a wet dog with wet hair, that is why I clip it up so it can airdry for 2-4H. Two tiny clips to the side and one big clip in back. A bit curly girl style (at least, that's what it is in my book.) ;)

Borgessa
July 14th, 2017, 05:05 AM
Meh i hate it too, especially in winter. Brrrr

embee
July 14th, 2017, 05:17 AM
Winter drying time is one reason I tried the WO routine, which did cut down the drying time for me, and the number of wettings. Best was when I tried NW/SO, and that's what I'm following now. It's great. I'll rinse the whole lot about twice a year, spring and fall. :)

Don't think it would have worked for me years ago when my hair was more oily, but age has taken care of some of that problem. Took me a while to get past the waxy stage, but now I'm comfortable.

Arctic
July 14th, 2017, 05:18 AM
I don't hate wet hair per se, but I don't like the time it takes weekly for me to dry my hair, whether it's air drying or blow drying. I have to wash almost daily (usually 6 times per week), so I easily spend almost 2 workday's worth - 12-15 hours - weekly with wet/damp/almost dry hair. If I blow dry, it's time I can't do anything else but hold the blow dryer and it would take 1,5 hours of my week standing there with blow dryer. Seasons don't make a difference to me.

I always try to not to leave home with wet looking hair. At the bare minimum I want to have my scalp hair dry, then make a damp bun or braid. I regularly do damp (not wet) buns because my hair likes them and they give me more uniform wave pattern. By the time I get my hair up, even if the lengths would still be damp, it doesn't bother me to leave home like that, as long as my hair looks good and doesn't look wet.

I don't dislike the feel of wet hair or anything like that. My hair doesn't usually drip after I take of the t-shirt towel. I break the hair clumps, fluff my hair so it'll dry quicker. It's the time that bothers me, and how I need to plan my life/routines around my hair washing and drying times, and how many hours it takes me weekly to dry my hair.

GeoJ
July 14th, 2017, 05:32 AM
I dislike wet hair, especially in the winter. Right now it's short, but it still takes about an hour to air dry, so I usually blow dry on the cool setting. When my hair was long it took hours to dry! I tried letting it dry overnight but that resulted in a wet pillow. So I typically did my wash earlier in the day and kept it in a bun all day, so it was only damp by the time I went to bed at night. That was the most tolerable for me.

tseh
July 14th, 2017, 07:12 AM
I also hate wet hair. Feeling when wet hair touches my back or wet my clothes. Here I'm sitting after wash, my damp hair in a bun.

Starrydandelion
July 14th, 2017, 08:16 AM
I definitely don't like wet hair either. >.< A lot of the time I prefer to have my hair away from my face and body, but when it's wet, I can't put it up unless I want to risk it not drying (unless it's mostly dry of course).
In the shower, my hair gets oddly heavy from the water and moving it around is difficult and pulls at my scalp. I also often miss a section that's plastered to my body (typically the shorter sections of hair). D:
I'm currently using t-shirts to dry my hair and I have to use two at a time (not ideal as I prefer having one large towel/whatever to wrap up my hair, but I'm looking for something larger to dry my hair). My hair wrapping skills aren't particularly good and my hair isn't long enough to wrap it comfortably so I just have to do my best to ignore the wet hair. The hair drying part is one of the reasons I'm not looking forward to washing my hair. :s

lapushka
July 14th, 2017, 08:35 AM
What I do and what has helped is towel drying for longer. I typically towel dry for 30-45 min. - I mean it, dependent on the towel. My long microfiber towel I can do with 30 min. By then (I have thick hair) it is damp and ready for my styling products. Then I can clip it up for the next 2-4H so it can air dry a bit. Then I diffuse for 5 min. and by then my roots are at least dry and the rest is "mostly" dry.

Frankenstein
July 14th, 2017, 11:05 AM
Wet hair just out of the shower doesn't bother me but DAMP hair does. Once my hair is one third to a halfway dry, it starts to annoy me.

Groovy Granny
July 14th, 2017, 11:26 AM
I don't like the feel of a wet scalp especially in cold temps, and warm/cool diffuse blow dry it to 80%; my ends air dry quickly.
Unless it is very hot and humid, then I just air dry it in a half up with small to medium claws, and progressing to a banana clip as it dries.

leayellena
July 14th, 2017, 11:42 AM
The combination between wet and dry strands clump together can only mean hair breakage. It's either I leave my hair alone to dry by itself no matter how long it takes or I have to wash my hair as usual.

Anje
July 14th, 2017, 12:24 PM
I consider myself lucky - my hair air dries VERY quickly, so I don't have to endure it for long stretches at a time (it's one of the reasons I can bear to wash every day, but that's another topic). Wet hair only really bugs me in winter when it's so bloody cold that it feels like cruel punishment - that's when I break out the blowdryer and just make the wet go away ;)

Although my hair dries really fast loose, it NEVER dries when contained in a bun or braid - and that feeling I just can't stand! It also leaves my hair with a weird unpleasant plasticky texture and seems to lock tangles in even if it went up perfectly detangled... just awful!

Mine's a lot like that. Dries pretty fast by LHC standards, especially if I fluff the roots every couple minutes while it's air-drying. I can get it 80-90% dry in an hour or so. Won't dry in a day in a bun, and has a weird texture when I bun it anyway (plus my scalp always feels weird after having a soggy bun sitting against it for a while). Loose braids will dry eventually, enough that I would do them when I absolutely had to run out the door. And I STILL don't like having long wet hair, to the point where I would put off washing and hope my roots didn't look too greasy.

Cheap hairdryer with separate sliders for temperature and speed, that goes all the way to cool, is where it's at when you're not willing to suffer. Got mine for under $20.

What I do and what has helped is towel drying for longer. I typically towel dry for 30-45 min. - I mean it, dependent on the towel. My long microfiber towel I can do with 30 min. By then (I have thick hair) it is damp and ready for my styling products. Then I can clip it up for the next 2-4H so it can air dry a bit. Then I diffuse for 5 min. and by then my roots are at least dry and the rest is "mostly" dry.

Lapushka, have you ever tried taking it out of the towel sooner? I got criticized as a kid once, perhaps rightfully, for leaving the towel on for more than 5-10 minutes, because after that the towel and hair had reached a moisture equilibrium and the towel was just reducing the surface area and making it take longer. Lo and behold, it seems to have been true. I take the towel off as soon as it seems damp, so the dryer air can get to my hair, and it speeds the process.

lapushka
July 14th, 2017, 01:15 PM
Lapushka, have you ever tried taking it out of the towel sooner? I got criticized as a kid once, perhaps rightfully, for leaving the towel on for more than 5-10 minutes, because after that the towel and hair had reached a moisture equilibrium and the towel was just reducing the surface area and making it take longer. Lo and behold, it seems to have been true. I take the towel off as soon as it seems damp, so the dryer air can get to my hair, and it speeds the process.

Yes I have, after about 5 min., and it's like it's fresh out from under the tap. But I keep an eye on it because it can't be too dry yet for the styling products to still go on smoothly, and about 30 min. with my most absorbent microfiber towel and it's reached that point. Granted, I have quite a bit of hair, so maybe that has something to do with it?

Anje
July 14th, 2017, 01:46 PM
Yes I have, after about 5 min., and it's like it's fresh out from under the tap. But I keep an eye on it because it can't be too dry yet for the styling products to still go on smoothly, and about 30 min. with my most absorbent microfiber towel and it's reached that point. Granted, I have quite a bit of hair, so maybe that has something to do with it?

It could very well be. Your hair is a LOT thicker than mine.

lapushka
July 14th, 2017, 01:55 PM
It could very well be. Your hair is a LOT thicker than mine.

I just "rank" at 4.25 inches, so it's not *that* thick either, Anje, but once swaddled up in a towel, it takes its darn time! For sure. :lol:

Anje
July 14th, 2017, 02:08 PM
I just "rank" at 4.25 inches, so it's not *that* thick either, Anje, but once swaddled up in a towel, it takes its darn time! For sure. :lol:
Quick calculation, that's almost exactly twice as much hair (by the area under the ponytail) as my 3.0" hair.

ReadingRenee
July 14th, 2017, 02:45 PM
Mine's a lot like that. Dries pretty fast by LHC standards, especially if I fluff the roots every couple minutes while it's air-drying. I can get it 80-90% dry in an hour or so. Won't dry in a day in a bun, and has a weird texture when I bun it anyway (plus my scalp always feels weird after having a soggy bun sitting against it for a while). Loose braids will dry eventually, enough that I would do them when I absolutely had to run out the door. And I STILL don't like having long wet hair, to the point where I would put off washing and hope my roots didn't look too greasy.

Cheap hairdryer with separate sliders for temperature and speed, that goes all the way to cool, is where it's at when you're not willing to suffer. Got mine for under $20.

Interesting. I am one that leaves the towel on for a long time and when I take it off, it is always really damp... I will try taking it off sooner and see if it helps me. I do NOT have a lot of hair like Lapushka. :)

meteor
July 14th, 2017, 03:03 PM
I'm not a fan of wet hair either, especially that prospect of sitting there for hours with it down and messy, drying it... and then thinking of that first time of combing it out after shower :scared: - it's always the hardest, slowest comb-out for me and makes me shed like crazy.
I am pretty sure this has a lot to do with why I'm so into Scalp-Only washes and stretching full washes for pretty long periods of time.

The way I dry hair is:
1) squeeze as much water out as possible (by firmly pressing only, no twisting);
2) 20-30 min in a towel (no turban, because I can't fit hair in and because this structure would cause me tangles - instead, I wrap a big towel lengthwise around my length, like a tube/snake, and wrap that tube around my neck/shoulders to make it feel less heavy); but if I leave it on for way too long, I might get more tangling somehow;
3) completely down after towel (if it's contained in any way, it won't dry) for a few hours, periodically lifting sections to aerate them as much as possible, preferably next to a space heater;
4) if I have to run out while it's still wet, I do half-ups or braid-and-bun it very loosely but then take it all down as soon as I'm back, because all that time it spends contained, it's not even drying noticeably at all.

lapushka
July 14th, 2017, 03:36 PM
Quick calculation, that's almost exactly twice as much hair (by the area under the ponytail) as my 3.0" hair.

Just be glad that it dries quicker. :lol: Honestly, my hair... sometimes I can just... strangle it, for the trouble it gives me on wash day. :lol:

lapushka
July 14th, 2017, 03:37 PM
Interesting. I am one that leaves the towel on for a long time and when I take it off, it is always really damp... I will try taking it off sooner and see if it helps me. I do NOT have a lot of hair like Lapushka. :)

That's interesting. I always thought that it was because my hair was thick that it dried slower. Keep us posted on how it goes!!!

CindyOfTheOaks
July 14th, 2017, 05:19 PM
Hate it...sitting here wet right now !

amiaow
July 15th, 2017, 02:45 AM
I just dry mine off at the scalp with a hairdryer on medium heat. Only takes a minute and no more cold head!!

LadyCelestina
July 15th, 2017, 08:17 AM
Easy! Just get a blowdrier... :) It probably doesn't do much more damage to gently blowdry it on cool or warm, than it does manipulating it into buns and what not while damp or combing it all the time to get it to dry quickly.

Cherriezzzzz
July 15th, 2017, 11:55 AM
My very thick hair now (finally!) dries fast after switching to Chagrin Valley shampoo bars! It's a significant difference! So much forgotten about it till I saw this thread! So I agree I hated waiting for my wet hair to dry!

spidermom
July 15th, 2017, 03:57 PM
This was part of my constellation of reasons for cutting my hair. I hated the feel of wet hair hanging all over me, especially in colder months. Blow-drying was a lot of work and took a solid hour. Now I can blow dry my hair in 20 minutes, plus it only gets my shoulders wet if I air dry it. Win-win.

yahirwaO.o
July 15th, 2017, 09:04 PM
This is one of the fine hair perks.... mine even past waist lenght didnīt take so much to dry. Now at bob stage 20 minutes is still stamp but looks presentable enough to go and do my stuff as usual.

I donīt mind so much having my back wet when dealing with my natural texture however any mosture close to my flat ironed hair I feel completly mad and paranoic because I love the silky fly way feeling and water destroys that :P

Rowdy
July 15th, 2017, 11:35 PM
-SNIP-

With this tidbit in mind, today I left the first towel on for only 5 min and then wrapped my hair up again with a new dry towel for 5 min again. After this my hair was much, much drier than the usual ~20 ish min in only one towel. I'd say maybe about equal to my usual towel time + 30 min of air drying. So, thanks for the tip! (Just regular bath towels btw and I did not have any leave-ins or product in my hair.)

Siri
July 16th, 2017, 01:17 AM
It doesn't really bother me, I leave my hair wrapped in a towel for 15-20 minutes so it's not sopping wet. After I remove the towel it air dries for 45 min to an hour then it's dry enough to even go out though it's still damp underneath.

Hairkay
July 16th, 2017, 01:32 AM
It's not a bother to me either. Since my hair is thick I use the divide and conquer method. Hair dries quicker divided into small plaits/braids. Now that it's summer most days I leave it to drip dry and I do WO daily.

lapushka
July 16th, 2017, 03:02 AM
It doesn't bother me because I clip it up with claw clips, to airdry for 2-4H. I used to put it in a half-up with clips and boy, that just got *too much* for me to handle. I really really do hate wet hair. Seems like a lot of us do!

RainbowBowser
July 16th, 2017, 10:45 AM
In the summer I don't mind the feeling too much but winter it is awful. Specifically behind my neck, that cold wet feeling right there is awful. The rest of my length is tolerable.