PDA

View Full Version : Tape in hair extensions

Katem
July 13th, 2017, 01:18 PM
Hey everyone, I know its been a while since I've posted but I'm back with some more questions! So I've been trying to grow out my hair to terminal length for 3 years. I started at shoulder length, and it stayed that way for about 2 years until this last year its made it to BSL out of no where lol. But I am still not happy with my hair, I don't feel like its long enough, and its extremely damaged from years of bleaching. So I had an idea to fix both these issues: tape in hair extensions. I was thinking about getting 20" extensions to bring me to waist length, and then cutting off a couple inches of damaged hair. While the extensions are in, my hair will have a chance to grow out a bit. But would this damage my natural hair? Like the tape ripping it out hair or something? Thanks for your help! :)

hayheadsbird
July 13th, 2017, 02:59 PM
I can't really answer the hair taping question, but my gut says it won't help and could do more damage.

If you have years of bleach damage that could be contributing to the growth stalks though. Bleaching will make your hair more fragile and prone to breaking, so as fast as your roots are growing your lengths could be breaking off. I know some members have grown suscessfully while bleaching, so it can be done, I think there's a thread somewhere that might have advice?

Aredhel
July 13th, 2017, 04:11 PM
I'd imagine any adhesive will have a chance of ripping at least some hairs out upon removal. IMHO adhesive and hair do not go well together. Another thing to consider is the few strands that are holding up the weight of the extensions, those strands could eventually weaken and break off, especially if your hair is already bleach damaged. Bleach damaged hair is extremely fragile already - I'd know, the last foot of my hair is heavily bleach-damaged.

Rebeccalaurenxx
July 13th, 2017, 04:23 PM
Not a good idea. I developed thinning and bald spots because of using tape in extensions. Its not good for the hair.
Be patient. Long hair is a journey to be enjoyed.

Aredhel
July 13th, 2017, 04:29 PM
Not a good idea. I developed thinning and bald spots because of using tape in extensions. Its not good for the hair.

Agree wholeheartedly. I hadn't even considered traction alopecia, I've actually seen it in some celebrities too.
But yeah, it's just not worth it and pretty counter-productive if you're trying to grow long and healthy natural hair.

lucid
July 13th, 2017, 08:09 PM
Google "traction alopecia tape extensions". I would never do it if you want to grow healthy hair. :/

Rowdy
July 13th, 2017, 09:08 PM
I have no personal experience with extensions but these look pretty hair friendly https://www.hiddencrownhair.com/

Katem
July 13th, 2017, 10:55 PM
Hay- thats probably true, I'm going to do some digging around for that thread. Maybe I should post pictures so you all can tell me if its really as damaged as I think it is. I get so worried because I see how healthy my natural hair is (not a split in site) compared to my blonde ends, and I worry that its going to keep breaking until I have to shave my head to get rid of all the damage. Maybe thats not a rational fear though, because the blonde might just snap until it reaches my healthy brown hair, and then it'll stop there. Im not sure though haha.

Ared- thats true, I was just thinking since my roots are fairly strong and healthy (completely virgin) it would be able to hold the hair. But youre 100% right, those little bits of hair can't support long, thick extensions

Rebecca- thank you so much for sharing, I used to think that was a possibility but tons of people convinced me others. But it makes sense that it would rip your hair out, potentially damaging the hair follicles and preventing hair from ever growing back. I think you're right, I do need to be patient

Lucid- just checked that out, thank you for telling me! I guess I just need to sit this out, my long hair should come eventually

Rowdy- Ive seen those before, they are really cool! My only issue is id be very scared of it falling out (even though sources say it will be held in place by my own hair) and I wouldn't be able to swim with it in

Thank you guys for the replies! I was really about to go get extensions, but I'm just going to keep doing my inversion method to get my hair where I need it. Part of the reason why I want it long (This is a weird reason so read ahead at your own risk lol) is because I often go braless, but everything pokes through and I'm not a fan haha. I like having long hair to pull over my shoulders and cover everything up. Like I said, its a weird reason, but it works for me :)

July 14th, 2017, 12:39 PM
Are clip-ins causing traction alopecia too? Or is it ok for special occasions?

Aredhel
July 14th, 2017, 01:02 PM

I feel like if you are gentle with their application and removal, and don't wear too many (and too often), you should be fine for the most part. It's like wearing a comb or clip in your hair anyway.

meteor
July 14th, 2017, 02:40 PM

I think they might, if you load them up in one area without good distribution, maybe, especially if you keep using them a lot in the same area? :hmm: Also, the clips can be tough to remove without pulling out some hairs every time. I can see them potentially tangling up hair, as well, obviously.

To be honest, since I don't have experience with this, I don't know much on the subject to be useful, but I feel that the so-called HALO (or "flip-in" or "hidden crown") extensions (e.g. picture (https://i.ytimg.com/vi/To1xlkObPu4/hqdefault.jpg)) might be the safest bet, because they are easy to put in and remove. It's just string and hair and they seem to distribute the weight around very reasonably, as well.

You can DIY them, too (e.g. like this (https://www.doctoredlocks.com/halo-extensions/)), using just weft hair and something like fishing line or other clear string.

Lily90
July 14th, 2017, 02:49 PM
I have personal experience with both tape and clip-on extentions. The tape-kind is sold by how it let your natural hair "rest" and grow while using the extentions. This is not true. Removing them will take out hairs, the glue can be hard to remove and thus lead to even more hair loss. Also, if you wear them too long, it can cause traction alopecia. I got that in my temples. Would not reccomend.. :(

However, clip-on is a great idea for those special occations. All extentions-hair has a short life-span when it comes to shine, so I would rather have pretty and shiny clip-ons once in a while, than deal with the constant care a more permanent solution will bring.

:-)

reilly0167
July 14th, 2017, 03:58 PM
Once in a while i use, the clip on extentions. I for one didn't have any issues, as long as you take them off at the end of the day or event.

Katem
July 14th, 2017, 09:59 PM
http://i64.tinypic.com/s0v145.jpg

Here is my ends with indoor lighting

http://i63.tinypic.com/2d6t7ag.jpg

Heres the length of my hair washed yesterday but not brushed yet. (it looks greasy but I promise its not haha)

http://i64.tinypic.com/16hvlmu.jpg

These are my ends with outdoor lighting

http://i65.tinypic.com/33bdc06.jpg

And a little bit above my ends in outdoor lighting

My hair wasn't brushed yet before taking these photos, so the strands look pretty crazy. But the question is are they too unhealthy? They've been bleached, dyed darker, and then bleached again several times in the past 3 years, so they've taken quite a beating. What do you guys think?

lucid
July 15th, 2017, 03:20 AM
I think your hair is really pretty, and it looks healthy despite all the coloring/bleaching it's gone through. Is that your natural texture? If that is your natural texture I think you're maybe 2a? Those are some gorgeous waves :)

Aredhel
July 15th, 2017, 09:09 AM
Your ends look similar to my ends when I'm taking care of them, and my ends are bleached/dyed/etc. too. They don't like particularly bad to me.:) I just know that if I don't want my ends to look straw-like (which yours don't!), I need silicones on them to fill in and mask that damage to keep them silky and shiny.

*Wednesday*
July 15th, 2017, 09:22 AM
Growing out hair damage takes time. You damage it over time but may take years to correct (cutting out damage). Your picture, I've seen worse. Many of us have been there. Just take care of the ends, do oil treatments, micro-trimming/dustings if you want to gain length. However, don't add fuel to the fire by putting that garbage (hair extensions with tape and glues in your hair). I never used them but know people who have, nothing good comes from them in your journey to longer and healthier hair. The best way to grow hair is keeping it in an up-do and leave it be and be patient. Just my take.

meteor
July 15th, 2017, 11:36 AM
But the question is are they too unhealthy? They've been bleached, dyed darker, and then bleached again several times in the past 3 years, so they've taken quite a beating. What do you guys think?

I honestly think they are fine. :) I think focusing on longevity of these strands as you are growing out virgin hair is key. It may take some protein-moisture balancing (bleached hair typically needs both proteins and oils, not to mention other helpful, protective and slip-inducing ingredients like 18-MEA, ceramides, silicones...). I'd just use good, intense conditioners (the ones marketed for "damaged" or "porous" or "coarse" or "curly" hair or "smoothing" or "anti-frizz" tend to be on the heavier side, but just check the ingredients lists to make sure you are getting enough conditioning). Caring for these ends to prevent breakage, split-end formation and white dots is going to be very useful later on virgin hair, as well. It will be smooth sailing later. :) Personally, I think that's a better long-term strategy than investing in extensions IMHO. :flower:

Cherriezzzzz
July 15th, 2017, 12:00 PM

"Long hair is a journey to be enjoyed." I loved reading this! Thank you for these simple, good words!

Cherriezzzzz
July 15th, 2017, 12:08 PM
My best friend used glue in hair pieces. Tape in is also glue, it's just on a strip instead of in a tube. She looked incredible, but they don't last. It's just unwillingness to wait for what you want. Instant gratification isn't always a good thing. Don't short change yourself, patience is a virtue, and with it will come beautiful long hair! My bf lost a ton of hair (bald patches) and you're not fooling anyone lol it doesn't look like real hair... Even professional hair extensions can look super fake. Earn your long hair the long way (hehe) and you'll appreciate it more then you can know! It's worth it! LHC is here to help and support you :) and it's really fun hahaha :cheese::silly::hollie:

P.s. your hair is gorgeous too! Love the color, very ombre looking! Grow it ! Keep us updated! It looks great!!!

*Wednesday*
July 15th, 2017, 12:44 PM
..... Earn your long hair the long way (hehe) and you'll appreciate it more then you can know! It's worth it!...

And let the church say, Amen.

July 16th, 2017, 01:00 PM
...or you won't appreciate them, like I didn't. Not to burst anyones bubble, and good luck with growing, but you won't magically be happy, feel beautiful and perfect only because your hair will be as long as you wanted them.

katem, your ends are great, I had worse on virgin hair! Not bad at all.

Thanks meteor! I was hoping to DIY extensions with my own hair, maybe. I kept the braid I cut off, hadn't looked at it since (too busy enjoying short hair). It'd be amazing to wear them for special occasions without having to deal with all that annoying weight daily (thick hair problems ;)).

Katem
August 1st, 2017, 01:54 PM
I think your hair is really pretty, and it looks healthy despite all the coloring/bleaching it's gone through. Is that your natural texture? If that is your natural texture I think you're maybe 2a? Those are some gorgeous waves :)

Thats really nice of you to say, thank you! I think that is my natural texture, because i just washed my hair without brushing it or putting products in it. Unless theres something else you have to do to see the natural texture?

Your ends look similar to my ends when I'm taking care of them, and my ends are bleached/dyed/etc. too. They don't like particularly bad to me.:) I just know that if I don't want my ends to look straw-like (which yours don't!), I need silicones on them to fill in and mask that damage to keep them silky and shiny.

Oh I didn't know silicones did that! I haven't used them for about a year, but maybe i should start up again

P.s. your hair is gorgeous too! Love the color, very ombre looking! Grow it ! Keep us updated! It looks great!!!

Thank you so much! :)

katem, your ends are great, I had worse on virgin hair! Not bad at all.

Thank you! I was really worried id have to take off 5 inches or something haha

Thanks everyone for the input, I really appreciate the opinions & tips :)

lucid
August 1st, 2017, 03:42 PM
Thats really nice of you to say, thank you! I think that is my natural texture, because i just washed my hair without brushing it or putting products in it. Unless theres something else you have to do to see the natural texture?

I think that is all you need to do for hairtyping :) I'm not the best at hairtyping, but like I said, I think your hair looks like 2a/b and not 1a/b. You even have some ringlets at the ends. It's definitely not straight :D

From the hairtyping guide (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=116252):
The wavy ones

2a - loose, stretched out S-waves throughout the hair
2b - shorter, more distinct S-waves (similar to waves from braiding damp hair)
2c - distinct S-waves and the odd spiral curl forming here and there

miraj5
February 5th, 2021, 05:32 AM
Well, I have been using tape-in hair extensions for almost 2 years. I have not found any issue with them.

lapushka
February 5th, 2021, 05:34 AM
Well, I have been using tape-in hair extensions for almost 2 years. I have not found any issue with them.

Isn't it super hard to wash, though? Also, needing special shampoo & such, at least that's what I've heard. :)

Sammich
February 5th, 2021, 11:37 AM
You could always try clip on extensions. They’re much more safer and you can take them out and in and mix and match. I’ve had glued in extensions before to try and help with my growth journey and never again! It’s so bad for the hair! Even my really strong hair can’t take it and it broke so much hair and the damage was insane.