PDA

View Full Version : How to bring life back to hair??

Chocowalnut
July 13th, 2017, 07:04 AM
Hey everyone, haven't posted in awhile but recently I have been getting pretty frustrated and disappointed with my hair. It's falling short of what I want it to be. It seems like washing it doesn't really clean it, if that makes sense.. and when dry, my hair is not soft, silky, or heavy like I like. I'm wondering if I need to try using more silicone or not. There are a few times my hair has been great- after henna, and oddly enough after using color oops followed by a deep conditioner- these times my hair has been so clean, soft, silky and bouncy, so seemingly healthy afterwards. Lately, it just is terrible trying to detangle the last few inches in the shower (it was like this before so I got a trim but now it's doing it again). I want to be happy with my hair but I don't know what to do. I have been considering getting some color or deep condition treatment done at the salon, anything to make me like it again. Please give me some suggestions on how to revamp my hair and love it again as I am losing my patience...

lapushka
July 13th, 2017, 07:10 AM
When's the last time you clarify-washed with a regular sulfate shampoo?

Chocowalnut
July 13th, 2017, 07:19 AM
I've been alternating between different shampoos, one being the paul mitchell tea tree special, which has sulfate

Cherriezzzzz
July 13th, 2017, 07:22 AM
Ever use Feria conditioner from sallys? It's their after coloring conditioner. Like the kind you get when you buy their box dye. I'd do what lapushka said and sulfate clarify, then follow up with a "for chemically treated hair" conditioner! If you used color oops you've got damage you'll need to baby. I hope you're not detangling in the shower anymore... You'll need to put your hair in that infamous category of treating it like antique lace :)

Chocowalnut
July 13th, 2017, 07:25 AM
Ever use Feria conditioner from sallys? It's their after coloring conditioner. Like the kind you get when you buy their box dye. I'd do what lapushka said and sulfate clarify, then follow up with a "for chemically treated hair" conditioner! If you used color oops you've got damage you'll need to baby. I hope you're not detangling in the shower anymore... You'll need to put your hair in that infamous category of treating it like antique lace :)

All my hair now except the last few inches is virgin, I grew out the bleached and color-oopsed hair. Although I didn't think color oops was damaging.. And I detangle in the shower while conditioner is in, because I don't brush it once it's dry. I will look into that conditioner. Do you guys use just any shampoo with sulfate to clarify?

Cherriezzzzz
July 13th, 2017, 07:31 AM
I personally hate suave clarifying, but if you're already using Paul Mitchell (great brand FYI) grab theirs. You may need to regularly clarify since you have mostly virgin hair. You said the last few inches of your hair are just terrible... stick to microtrims and get those last damaged ends off then grow, grow, grow! Sounds like you're in that middle stage where you're so close, yet so far away. It can get distressing, but I bet your progress is amazing as it's difficult to grow out virgin hair! Wet hair is weaker then dry hair which is why I suggested not to detangle in shower. Even with conditioner on, it'll stretch the hair causing more breaking... dry hair is much stronger. And you can stop the comb when you'll feel the knots. Can't do that as well with wet hair bc it stretches before it stops. Hope that makes sense LoL

Obsidian
July 13th, 2017, 07:35 AM
I use a actual clarifying shampoo and make sure you lather up the entire length.
Do you have hard water? If you do, you might want to chelate too. You be can get a bottle of quantum clarifying shampoo at Sally's, it also chelates.
A good coney conditioner on the end are worth a try. I like hello hydration form herbal essence or Aussie 3 minute miracle.

Chocowalnut
July 13th, 2017, 07:36 AM
I use a actual clarifying shampoo and make sure you lather up the entire length.
Do you have hard water? If you do, you might want to chelate too. You be can get a bottle of quantum clarifying shampoo at Sally's, it also chelates.
A good coney conditioner on the end are worth a try. I like hello hydration form herbal essence or Aussie 3 minute miracle.

Those are my 2 fave coney conditioners too. I haven't used them in awhile, so I think I might pick some up. I'll have to look for the chelating shampoo because I definitely think I have hard water.

Agnes Eliza
July 13th, 2017, 07:49 AM
I has the same result using Color Oops too! Which makes me think if you clarify with a clarifying shampoo, then moisturize, you will get a similar result. Good luck!

marvel-lover
July 13th, 2017, 07:54 AM
Definitely try clarifying more regularly! A lot of people don't like suave clarifying, but my hair likes it a lot. After you clarify, use a great conditioner, and just let it sit on your ends for a bit (10 minutes sound reasonable?). If you must detangle in the shower, make sure there is plenty of conditioner and you go very slow and gentle. Start from the bottom, work your way up, use your fingers for larger knots. Experiment with some oils, maybe look into some deep conditioning recipes found all over this place. Good luck!

Anje
July 13th, 2017, 08:27 AM
Definitely clarify. That's not just using a sulfate shampoo, it's a process. I'd recommend getting an actual clarifying shampoo (Suave is fine, IMO), but you want to shampoo with the stuff full-strength, applying it down the length of your hair and focusing on lathering the length and ends, unlike your scalp like when you normally wash. I'd suggest doing it twice in a case like this, where you don't normally clarify and are now struggling with unruly hair. Follow up with a good conditioner and maybe let that sit a little longer, since (1) your hair might be dry from the extra washing, and (2) your hair should be able to absorb the moisture better than it was able to before.

Groovy Granny
July 13th, 2017, 04:39 PM
Joico K-PAK Clarifying (and Chelating) shampoo is very good; I use K-PAK Intense Hydrator Conditioner after.

PixieP
July 13th, 2017, 05:43 PM
Agree on clarifying. Also, have you ever tried vinegar rinses? To me that was the turning factor for my hair. It got softer, shinier, tangled less and looks much better!

hobbitlocks
July 13th, 2017, 05:46 PM
Your description of your hair sounds a lot of like my hair when I need to chelate (I have hard water). So if you have hard water, I would definitely look into a chelating shampoo (I also use the Joico one).

I meant to add: I always follow up with an SMT because I feel like it's a good idea to get extra moisture in their while it's extra clean.

Rebeccalaurenxx
July 13th, 2017, 05:51 PM
Clarify and then deep condition!
I use a sulphate shampoo with every wash, but sometimes after awhile it still needs a straight clarifying shampoo.
Which reminds me, because I haven't done it in awhile, so I should probably get on that myself! Lol.
Usually follow up with a deep treatment from Hask and then seal with a oil and then seal THAT with silicone serum.

Carolyn
July 13th, 2017, 06:02 PM
I would pick up the Joico chelating shampoo. Hard water can do a number on your hair. After any kind of clarifying or chelating you need to get the moisture back in. I like the Olive oil stuff that comes in a tub that is sold at the Wal Mart Smart Style salons. It's not in the H & B aisle. It's in the salon. It works great in a SMT too.