PDA

View Full Version : Gift ideas for someone with very long hair?

dc912
July 12th, 2017, 04:29 PM
Hello all,

First time poster here. This may be my only thread here, but I would greatly appreciate your suggestions and feedback!

Long story short... I have been away from home (on work) for months and I would like to send my long-haired-girlfriend a "thinking of you" care package. In addition to various odds and ends, I have thought about sending her some long hair gifts//toys/stuff (I don't know much long hair lingo). As a man who has never had long hair, I have no idea what I could possibly get her. Through some clever Googling, I found this wonderful forum full of long hair experts!

Here is some info that may be relevant for your suggestions:

Her age: 25
Hair color: brown (I don't know the specific shade)
Length/texture: hip length, straight, thick (no layers or anything like that, never dyed/bleached)
Goal length: Upper or mid-thigh, but at least "past her butt" (as she says)
How she wears it at work: ponytail or braid
How she wears it outside work: down

Her hair goal is to grow her hair upper/mid-thigh length and make a donation. She wants to be able to donate the minimum length (8 or 10 inches, as I understand) but still have her hair very long after the cut. For her, "very long" is at least waist length.

Thank you in advance!!

Stormynights
July 12th, 2017, 04:44 PM
I will assume at that length that when she wears her hair down she has the top and sides pulled back in some way to keep it under control. Do a search for slides and barrettes and you will find some nice ones she might like. You also should do a little research on donating hair.

Obsidian
July 12th, 2017, 04:58 PM
What about some nice silk scrunchies? There are some really nice ones on etsy. Silk pillowcases are great too, the help keep hair from tangling at night.

akurah
July 12th, 2017, 05:23 PM
You also should do a little research on donating hair.

This times infinity. With the exception of charities that use human hair to soak up oil spills, most donated hair is thrown away or sold. Before you're completely horrified by that, here is the reason: those charities typically need money with which to pay wig makers more than they need the hair. Except possibly Locks of Love, it's my understanding that they're just a bad charity and mostly a scam. The other ones are more "reputable" as it were.

Sarahlabyrinth
July 12th, 2017, 05:25 PM
She might like a silk pillowcase, they are lovely on hair.

hobbitlocks
July 12th, 2017, 05:38 PM
She might like a silk pillowcase, they are lovely on hair.

This is a good idea -- I love mine! If you wanted to up the ante, you could make it a a set by adding a nightgown, scrunchi, or maybe an eye mask or something? I would happily receive such a gift. :)

CrowningGlory
July 13th, 2017, 01:48 AM
Some of the gifts I've given to long hair members of my family include hair sticks (Etsy is a good place to start), travel size shampoo and conditioners (JASON used to sell them - and may still do but I can't get them in my part of the world any more, but a good organic shampoo is likely to be appreciated), and a hair turban (great for drying hair without heat). Other ideas could be a hair oil (Argan, Coconut, Jojoba, etc), a natural boar bristle brush (depending how much you want to spend), spin pins, or a beautifully made wooden comb. Any of those I'd be thrilled to receive as a gift.

Katia_k
July 13th, 2017, 03:11 AM
Nightblooming's shop on etsy has a lot of really lovely oil blends, so you could get her something with a scent she likes, or a nice salve or detangler. Her stuff is both practical and a treat.

lapushka
July 13th, 2017, 06:12 AM
First of all, is she really *into* her hair, or just growing it out to donate. In that case all those lovely hair gifts might go to waste later.

At least with a silk pillowcase, that works on shorter hair also.

irisa2005
July 13th, 2017, 03:41 PM
It's really nice of you of think about her hair and want a to giver her a gift about it.
If my hair were that long I personally would like a set of hair forks like this ones:

http://www.femlogic.com/as_image/floral_enamel_set_xl.jpg

And the silk pillowcases too!
I don't think Shampoos or oils would be a good idea because you may get the ingredients wrong or she may not like the scents, maybe.

Good Luck! :)

akuamoonmaui
July 13th, 2017, 04:45 PM
Maybe you could casually :whistle: ask her (or her friends?) what her favorite products are. A big treat for me is the brand Wen.

:hifive: for a very good idea on your part! Keep us updated on her response!!

restless
July 15th, 2017, 02:31 AM
What a sweet and thoughtful idea :)

If I was to get a present for my hair, Id wish for stuff like:

Hair accessories (Etsy.com is a great place to start. Popular shops like Quattro, Over the Hawaiian Moon, WoodEverIImagine, ArtisIgnis, Outnumbered Novelties, Hairjems, etc can be found there. Maybe look for inspiration at the Conventional products board http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=46).

Some fancy hair scissors

Lovely smelling shampoo and conditioner (maybe from The body shop or so)

A book with cool hairstyles to learn

A turbie twist towel

Eternally in Amber- wide tooth combs

Oils (organic coconut oil :crush: , argan oil, jojoba oil, etc)

A cute/beautiful box for my already existing hair stuff

(And if she does like to visit the hairdresser; maybe a gift card for some fancy treatment?)

dc912
July 20th, 2017, 03:25 PM
Sorry for the delayed response -- I've had a very busy few weeks.

I appreciate all of the suggestions. I will definitely be looking into the pillow case, scrunchy, and twist towel.

I will assume at that length that when she wears her hair down she has the top and sides pulled back in some way to keep it under control. Do a search for slides and barrettes and you will find some nice ones she might like. You also should do a little research on donating hair.

I will be happy to help her research, but I will wait until she's ready. At this point she has a ways to grow (lol) before she reaches her goal length. Plus, if I provide her that her information now 1) it's not fun stuff she can play with and 2) I don't want her to feel any pressure to cut her hair. She loves her hair.

First of all, is she really *into* her hair, or just growing it out to donate. In that case all those lovely hair gifts might go to waste later.

At least with a silk pillowcase, that works on shorter hair also.

I would say she is someone who is "*into* her hair." During our relationship she has primarily maintained it around waist/tailbone. The shortest her hair has been was around mid-back, and that was only because of a bad trip to her salon. Ultimately, she wants to grow her hair to upper/mid thigh so that she can donate the minimum and still have her hair at least waist length after the donation.

Corvana
July 20th, 2017, 06:20 PM
Well you could always look for a hair fork that also shows off another thing she likes. For example, let's say she loves butterflies. You could search etsy or something for a butterfly hair fork, and pick one that you think she'd like the most. Or a hair stick, or clip.

That way it'd be both practical, and would highlight something else you know she loves so she'd be more likely to use it.

Amelia777
July 22nd, 2017, 11:19 AM
I think, if your girlfriend has a long hair, she uses the accessories (hair forks, hairpins, ties etc.). So, it is possible to present her with a handmade wooden box like on https://hmwoodenfigurines.com/product/wooden-three-sections-box/. You can also put something in the box. In case you want to make this gift more personal, there is a possibility to cut her name/a few words on it. In my opinion, it would be a memorable present. At least, I'd like it :)

EdG
July 22nd, 2017, 12:25 PM
Hair sticks are always a good choice. Pretty much everyone on this board has a collection of hair sticks (and some LHC'ers have more than a few). Six inch sticks fit most people.
Ed

Temme
July 22nd, 2017, 12:49 PM
Personally, I would like some kind of conditioner or deep treatment to try. That would be my vote.

oatmeal1991
July 22nd, 2017, 09:06 PM
Here to echo "silk pillowcase"! Useful no matter what length her hair is.

leayellena
July 23rd, 2017, 12:23 AM
a whole haul of natural hair care from Balea, recommended by Haartraum in her video and a silk pilowcase and night cap. or a super nice hair toy