PDA

View Full Version : Applesauce mask for waxy spot?

bmcfarland
July 12th, 2017, 02:22 PM
Hello, all!
I have this waxy spot on the back of my head, near the top....it just will not wash out! I've just started using DevaCurl Delight low-poo shampoo and conditioner. (Though, I have always had this spot off and on) I've been told that an applesauce mask might help, which I am preparing for trial at the moment. Has anyone else had this same waxy spot? I just want it gone!!
Thank you ahead of time for any information you may bestow :)

Ophidian
July 12th, 2017, 02:54 PM
I've heard of applesauce masks for this. Can't hurt to try it, but might be good to strain it if you can, or get a baby food variety which might be smoother just so you don't get bits stuck in your hair.

I have pretty thick hair and found that I would routinely get spots that didn't feel clean after I washed until I started sectioning my hair when I wash. Even better has been using an applicator bottle with whatever I'm using to wash (can dilute shampoo a little to make it thinner and easier to distribute) so I can apply it directly to my scalp in several different places and work it in evenly.

bmcfarland
July 12th, 2017, 07:05 PM
The applicator bottle is a clever idea! I might borrow that sometime. :) Also, my hair is dry now after rinsing out the applesauce (took me a while). My usual waxy spot is gone! Hopefully it stays that way. :) I will also try sectioning my hair from now on when I wash! Thank you for the information :)

Ophidian
July 12th, 2017, 08:03 PM
Yay! Glad the applesauce mask worked for you :)

Reyn127
July 14th, 2017, 01:58 PM
This is good info! I may give it a try someday as well. I had a problem with waxy hair for a bit, and if it comes back, I'll let you all know how it goes with applesauce.

meteor
July 14th, 2017, 03:12 PM
Hmm, I've never heard of this. :) So what's the idea behind using this for waxiness? If I were to guess, I'd say it might be the pH range (between 3 and 4), maybe? :hmm: I don't see how the sugar in applesauce can help with waxiness, though it can work as a humectant, but the acidic pH could help... All that fiber might be an issue though, so I don't know...
Has anybody tested how this works against, say, citric acid dilution with similar pH?

Ophidian
July 14th, 2017, 05:40 PM
@Meteor: I'm not finding any satisfying explanations of the mechanism that would make applesauce masks effective for waxy build up, but it is suggested frequently on no-poo/WO resource sites and blogs as a way to deal with the problem and it seems to work for many people. I'm not sure how it would differ from ACV besides sugar content in that both are fairly acidic and I know that can mitigate hard water build up to some extent (which is often a factor in waxiness). In my experience with herbs, thicker pastes/muds are far more cleansing than rinses which of course is partially an issue of concentration but I wonder if the act of working in a thicker substance as opposed to rinsing with a liquid doesn't amplify the effect. Anyway, I'm really just thinking out loud. If you dig up anything more let me know :)

There is a thread on fruit masks here somewhere, there might be more info there....