PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone remember the ice cube bun?

spirals
July 11th, 2017, 08:32 PM
You know, where you put an ice cube in your bun on a hot summer day? Just wondering.

papayatree
July 11th, 2017, 08:34 PM
I have never heard of this. What is it? I need more information!!!

Sarahlabyrinth
July 11th, 2017, 09:40 PM
I have been know to do this on occasion, mid summer :p just tuck an ice cube into a bun and as it melts it keeps you cool :)

Groovy Granny
July 11th, 2017, 10:03 PM
LOL I love it :thumbsup:

Prism
July 11th, 2017, 11:00 PM
Never heard of this but am totally going to try it when my bun is big enough to keep the ice cube inside it! Too hot in sunny California!

papayatree
July 11th, 2017, 11:05 PM
Never heard of this but am totally going to try it when my bun is big enough to keep the ice cube inside it! Too hot in sunny California!

I want to try this too! If i did it now, it would be a failed attempt at the ice bucket challenge

Serimel
July 11th, 2017, 11:39 PM
I wanna do this! Is there some bun that works betters than others for it?

Sarahlabyrinth
July 11th, 2017, 11:47 PM
I just used to tuck mine in behind a Nautilus or Lazy Wrap bun, it worked well.

Astroflammante
July 12th, 2017, 09:42 AM
Would it have to be an actual ice-cube, so that you get the water melting-and-evaporating effect? Or might it work with the reusable ones? I have a set made of limestone (I think. Some kind of light-weight stone.). They will keep cool for quite a while.

Anyway, I'm going to try and remember this trick! This year we're having a normal summer, so 20 C and rain is the order of the day. But the next time there's a heatwave!

Larki
July 12th, 2017, 09:54 AM
I've done it with nautilus and tucked french braids.

Sarahlabyrinth
July 12th, 2017, 02:10 PM
I've only ever used real ones, had no idea there was any other kind :p

Hairkay
July 12th, 2017, 03:28 PM
This is the first I'm hearing of this. Maybe I'll try it out. I just usually leave my hair to drip dry (I end up in the shower twice on the hottest days) which helps keep me cool and fresh.

Kristabeth96
July 12th, 2017, 05:07 PM
Oh yes. I wouldnt even put it in the bun. I would put it against my head and put the ponytail over it. It's hot in Georgia.

spirals
July 12th, 2017, 07:20 PM
Would it have to be an actual ice-cube, so that you get the water melting-and-evaporating effect? Or might it work with the reusable ones? I have a set made of limestone (I think. Some kind of light-weight stone.). They will keep cool for quite a while.

I can't believe this is already two pages! We had a thread a few years ago and I posted a pic of me using one of those frozen teething rings like a bun form. It was too heavy, though. But whomever came up with the idea did a lazy wrap or some such on top of her head and put an ice cube inside. It cools as it melts. I would only really do it at a casual event or at home, though. Imagine sitting at your desk at work with water dripping down your face!

rosey4exclaim
July 12th, 2017, 08:38 PM
I'm definitely going to have to try this tomorrow. I've been staying with my mom in Nevada, and she doesn't have air conditioning! :thud:

school of fish
July 12th, 2017, 09:48 PM
See, this is why we have the internet - for ideas like these. Ideas which my own brain could never conjure on its own but when presented with said idea, brain recognizes the brilliance and says yes, yes, YES!

If tomorrow is as soupy hot as today was, I'm ice-cube bunning all the way!

Astroflammante
July 13th, 2017, 06:58 AM
I don't know how common they are. Mostly I've seen them advertised for whisky drinkers, a "have your whisky on-the-real-rocks!" thing. But they're just as good for ice water. :-)

Arctic
July 13th, 2017, 07:06 AM
The bun should have a pocket where you can slip new cubes as they melt, without taking down the bun :D

lisamt
July 13th, 2017, 07:18 AM
never heard of this but i'll definitely try it!

Cherriezzzzz
July 13th, 2017, 07:25 AM
Am I the only one hoping to see small square shaped buns on this thread?! Haha I thought, "what a neat idea, square (rather then round) buns!" Hahaha

mermaid lullaby
July 13th, 2017, 11:21 AM
Am I the only one hoping to see small square shaped buns on this thread?! Haha I thought, "what a neat idea, square (rather then round) buns!" Hahaha

I was! When I saw this thread, I was thinking of a 3D shaped cubed bun with hairsticks.

Atarah
July 13th, 2017, 11:48 AM
Definitely will be trying this! We're having a much warmer than normal early summer (low 100sF/high 30sC) and while that is cooler than where I grew up, I've obviously acclimated and am finding it way too hot. Plus being pregnant and the garden needing a lot of attention lately, I considered dumping my drinking water over my head the other day. This would be a much better alternative : )

JadedByEntropy
July 13th, 2017, 12:17 PM
The rocks would also retain heat, so if you aren't careful you could make yourself too hot. i like the melting, and mostly the dripping but you have to be at home or its really weird.

Oh yes. I wouldnt even put it in the bun. I would put it against my head and put the ponytail over it. It's hot in Georgia.

Ha! i always did that too! inside the bun isn't nearly close enough through my hair to make a difference! plus, i'm also in the Piedmont, so i know exactly what a humid blanket the simmer is. Summer* ;)

TatsuOni
July 14th, 2017, 10:06 AM

I thought "how do they do a cube shaped bun" :laugh:

FantasyBoudicca
July 14th, 2017, 10:14 AM
I'm gonna do this. God knows in Singapore I won't exactly lack for sufficiently hot days to do so, even if it's been unusually cool for the last few days.

lunasea
July 14th, 2017, 05:21 PM
Okay, doesn't your scalp under the ice cube freeze?

spirals
July 14th, 2017, 11:19 PM
Okay, doesn't your scalp under the ice cube freeze?

Nope. It's resting on top of scalp hair and maybe the bottom coil of the bun. I do some kind of topknot.

Fantine
July 15th, 2017, 06:53 AM
I've never heard of this idea but sounds very interesting, I was also thinking that it could freeze your scalp...

spirals
July 3rd, 2018, 07:29 PM
Well, it's about that time again. My air conditioner wasn't working and has been taken away by apt. management. They didn't email me to let me know when they're replacing it.

lovelymoon
July 4th, 2018, 12:40 AM
I had never heard about this! I walk and take the bus to work, and it's so disgustingly hot out I always feel like I'm melting. It's supposed to be 114 degrees in a couple days, I'll try it out then and see if it makes waiting in the sun any better.

Arciela
July 4th, 2018, 03:45 PM
I totally forgot about this! I used to do it all the time too..omg haha thats awesome, I am going to start doing this again :D

RadioactiveLily
July 4th, 2018, 03:53 PM
Bless you, spirals, for resurrecting this thread! It has been waaaaayyy too hot and humid here, and I am way too pregnant to cope, lol!

Has anyone tried doing oils or scents with the ice cubes? I thought it might be nice to let it perfume my hair at the same time.

littlestarface
July 4th, 2018, 04:23 PM
I had never heard about this! I walk and take the bus to work, and it's so disgustingly hot out I always feel like I'm melting. It's supposed to be 114 degrees in a couple days, I'll try it out then and see if it makes waiting in the sun any better.

Hey me too the sun makes it feel like its a 100 miles I feel like im gonna be cooked outside. WHere you from? California or arizona?

daisy rei
July 4th, 2018, 04:50 PM
I was expecting square buns as well! :rollin:

If anyone figures out how to make a cube bun....I'd love to see pictures.

spirals
July 5th, 2018, 06:58 PM
Bless you, spirals, for resurrecting this thread! It has been waaaaayyy too hot and humid here, and I am way too pregnant to cope, lol!

I'm really LOL. I do this every year. And yet yesterday when I had no AC I didn't think to do it.

Another option is to get one of those frozen teething rings and use it to make a donut bun. Of course, it'll be weirdly flat. I guess we could call it the flying saucer bun.

Pacific
July 5th, 2018, 08:38 PM

And I thought, I didn't know that Ice Cube is wearing a bun.

lovelymoon
July 5th, 2018, 11:39 PM
Hey me too the sun makes it feel like its a 100 miles I feel like im gonna be cooked outside. WHere you from? California or arizona?

Arizona! Spot on haha :sun: