PDA

View Full Version : Increased hair shedding

Synester
July 11th, 2017, 03:03 PM
Lately in the shower and brushing ive noticed WAY more hairfall and shedding lately. I use a tangle teezer and brush from the bottom up. My hair is very very fine and fragile. and it isnt breakage because there are white follicle tips at the ends of the strands. And if i dont brush it out frequently or fresh out the shower it will become sooo knotted it will be impossible to manage when it dries. even with tons of coney conditioner in my hair its hard to untangle sometimes (i wish i could find a holy grail detangler already.

But for now, any tips or products to reduce hair shedding. Would greatly appreciate preserving the hair I have left. (lost a lot of it from birth control that screwed up my hormone production)

ShilvaA
July 11th, 2017, 04:22 PM
Slather your hair in conditioner in the shower, gently finger comb and then bung your hand into a braid whilst wet.

Try to avoid brushing your hair whilst wet. But otherwise, if it is shedding I believe that it was loose hair anyways and would have fallen in a matter of time regardless.

Are you on any new medication? Or are you dealing with any stress?

I honestly think that we as humans can experience a "summer shed" the same way other animals do... you know, lose the thick winter coat and get a thinner coat. Maybe it is somthing like that?

Synester
July 11th, 2017, 09:29 PM
Stress, yes just had a major move into a new apartment, been pretty stressed that could possibly be it. and it would make sense we shed like other animals because well...we ARE animals lol. and i try and detangle my hair the best i can. i go through so much conditioner trust lol.
ive heard black tea rinses work to decrease shedding. does anyone have success with that.

Sarahlabyrinth
July 11th, 2017, 10:29 PM
Stress can absolutely cause hair to fall out (usually about three months afterwards). Wishing you non-stressful times and quick regrowth.

Deborah
July 11th, 2017, 11:56 PM
Also, it is summer, and some people have a natural shed in the hot season. It might just be that.

Garnetgem
July 12th, 2017, 06:09 AM
I agree stress plays a big part but then again many go through a season shed too...often you can get the normal shedding mixed with stress shedding so result is major/increased shedding being noticed..try not to stress about it too much(not easy i know)or stressing will cause even more shedding in the long run...hope it eases soon..

Stormynights
July 12th, 2017, 12:23 PM
My hair sheds more when it needs washing. I can go a week or a day or so more in the winter but less than a week in the summer. I just watch for more shedding.

Synester
July 19th, 2017, 10:48 PM
Do you guys think a tea rinse would help reduce shedding? are there any other treatments I could do possibly (if it isn't stress)

Fantine
July 20th, 2017, 12:31 AM
Do you guys think a tea rinse would help reduce shedding? are there any other treatments I could do possibly (if it isn't stress)

I don't know about the tea rinse, but I take vitamins for my hair when I experience more shedding than usual. I think it helps, at least I know I don't shed because of some deficiency.

akurah
July 20th, 2017, 12:44 AM
If it's been going on awhile (more than a few weeks) I would talk to a doctor if resources permit. Hair fall is often an early symptom of many medical problems (and many of them are easy to solve)

lapushka
July 20th, 2017, 05:30 AM
If it's been going on awhile (more than a few weeks) I would talk to a doctor if resources permit. Hair fall is often an early symptom of many medical problems (and many of them are easy to solve)

If it is within reason, and not coming out in clumps, I wouldn't worry, but if it persists, I would, like akurah mentioned, talk to a doctor. A simple bloodtest is all they need to do to rule out deficiencies or other issues.

Hope it resolves soon.

Is there anything else different, with medication you might be taking, etc.? Your diet that has perhaps changed? You do have to ask yourself that!

Synester
July 20th, 2017, 03:17 PM
No change in diet and I dont take any medications, I take plenty of vitamins. in 2013 i lost a lot of hair in clumps due to a DHT spike in my hormones..this isnt AS drastic looking but im starting to get flashbacks. Sadly no health insurance for me, so ill have to figure this out one way or another hopefully without medical attention

czech it out
July 20th, 2017, 08:24 PM
Also, it is summer, and some people have a natural shed in the hot season. It might just be that.

I second this! I tend to have sheds like you described in the autumn, but mine arrived early this year. So I'm right there with you! I don't worry about it. A shed hair is just making room for a new, healthy strand to grow!

leayellena
July 21st, 2017, 01:58 AM
I used to shed more than 200(!) hairs a day(!) for 3 years in a row. I didnīt know what happens to me. I thought it was just stress from moving out in Germany, job seaking and my actual job (not really stressful but I have to walk a lot and that causes back pains sometimes), changing diet (I guessed).
I confused - for 3 years in a row - hair fall with hair breakage.
I did everything I could for my hair: rinses, shampoo, conditioner...
even thinking about checking my problem with a doctor.
but...
my scalp is ok. full - normally full. not too thick, not too thin, you can see some scalp when my hair falls limp after 2-3 days
I shed like more than 200 hairs and I had a fuzz mess. I thought I am clumsy and I canīt braid. no, it was breakage.
S&D for 2 years created the taper I am experiencing now - without the fuzz.
I have finally decided to buy a new comb, whatever that was...
my supportive man helped me with a good tip: wooden wide tooth comb!
my hair is
www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWRJ57j1AyI&t=42s only shorter (waist to almost hip)

lapushka
July 21st, 2017, 04:46 AM
I second this! I tend to have sheds like you described in the autumn, but mine arrived early this year. So I'm right there with you! I don't worry about it. A shed hair is just making room for a new, healthy strand to grow!

My shedding "schedule" is totally out of whack these days. It can be a lot this week, and not even that much the next. I have had no fall & spring shed these past months. It puzzles me, because I used to have those!

But yes, it could be just seasonal. So I wouldn't worry as of yet. You'll have to gauge it for yourself a bit, OP, if it is beyond something you've ever known, please go have it checked out (if you can).

czech it out
July 23rd, 2017, 06:24 PM
My shedding "schedule" is totally out of whack these days. It can be a lot this week, and not even that much the next. I have had no fall & spring shed these past months. It puzzles me, because I used to have those!

So interesting! Maybe you've had an exceptionally healthy scalp this year? I know (in addition to the seasons) my hair always sheds when I let my scalp stay sweaty after workouts or stretch washes too long. I think it's a fungal thing, so I usually treat with selenium sulfide shampoo. But perhaps you've found a great routine for your scalp to keep it in tip top shape!

bparnell75
May 5th, 2018, 10:27 AM
I am shedding more than usual again! I have done this so many times and just when it felt like pony tail circumference was getting a bit thicker here we go again. Even my Spock buns are puny these days. I was having nice medium sized buns but I am scared at 77 I could lose a lot more. Just needed to tell someone. Getting sick and tired of finding hairs all over the place and not just one bur groups of them. I know no one really cares but I needed to talk. Bless any one who reads this.

Lady Stardust
May 5th, 2018, 11:41 AM
I am shedding more than usual again! I have done this so many times and just when it felt like pony tail circumference was getting a bit thicker here we go again. Even my Spock buns are puny these days. I was having nice medium sized buns but I am scared at 77 I could lose a lot more. Just needed to tell someone. Getting sick and tired of finding hairs all over the place and not just one bur groups of them. I know no one really cares but I needed to talk. Bless any one who reads this.

Sending you a great big hug x Sorry if you’ve mentioned this before because I don’t want to make you go over old ground, but have you been to the doctor to check whether there’s a medical reason behind it?

We all care here, very much. It’s a horrible thing to go through and I hope it starts to improve really soon. You’ve regained thickness before so I hope that you can stay positive, that the shedding will return to normal, and soon you’ll be bothered by pesky new growth sprouting up and defying gravity.

lucid
May 5th, 2018, 01:18 PM
bparnell75, I'm sorry you're experiencing this. I don't have any wise words for you, but I really hope you get to keep your thickness. Hairloss and/or increased shedding can be very distressing.

lapushka
May 5th, 2018, 01:27 PM
Sending you a great big hug x Sorry if you’ve mentioned this before because I don’t want to make you go over old ground, but have you been to the doctor to check whether there’s a medical reason behind it?

We all care here, very much. It’s a horrible thing to go through and I hope it starts to improve really soon. You’ve regained thickness before so I hope that you can stay positive, that the shedding will return to normal, and soon you’ll be bothered by pesky new growth sprouting up and defying gravity.

I agree here. If it is too much, more than a seasonal shed and your hair is seriously thinning out from it, please check with your doctor! It's not worth it to try and figure it out on your own. Might be you're lacking some nutrients, and that can be easily resolved.

Best of luck to you! :flower: