PDA

View Full Version : Quality shampoo

Natashap
July 9th, 2017, 12:31 AM
Washed with an old travel bottle ..so soft hair today.
The quality of shampoo can make huge difference in state of hair .

we sometimes forget.Take our shampoo for granted .

I need to buy good shampoos from now on ..not cheapie ones as sometimes sale prompts me to hoard shampoo but not anymore .

how many of you agree..

Simsy
July 9th, 2017, 12:51 AM
I have found that mid-range shampoos are really good for my hair. I can't go the cheap stuff and the expensive stuff does strange and terrible things to the curl.

Emma Rose
July 9th, 2017, 01:21 AM
I find I need to use higher end shampoos. Otherwise I end up with terrible dandruff and massive frizz.

Aredhel
July 9th, 2017, 02:00 AM
I don't have issues with most shampoos, I find... it's the conditioners that can really mess with my hair if I don't use specific (all the ones I use are mid-range) brands.

Kat
July 9th, 2017, 02:49 AM
Yes, for me it also seems to be the conditioner that matters. For shampoo, as long as it gets my hair clean, I seem fine. I need to use thick conditioners for my hair, I've found.

Also, rinses sometimes matter. I do a vinegar rinse once a month, and I need to get better about doing my herbal rinses more regularly (they seem to keep the tangles at bay).

restless
July 9th, 2017, 02:49 AM
Ive only ever found 2-3 shampoos that my hair/scalp hated and Im mostly the low- budget- shampoo- type of girl. Sure Ive tried the fancy hairdresser stuff out of curiosity too, but they just werent worth the price, since I could get the same result from the cheap ones.

ShilvaA
July 9th, 2017, 03:00 AM
I am a low-mid budget shampoo and conditioner user. I mostly use Elvive Extraordinary Oil conditioners, the golden one is the best I have ever used for my hair, my partner (he has shoulder length hair) loves the white and red one. I use the silicone-free one sometimes too.

But I am a cheapskate and will only buy them when they are on offer!

Shampoo wise, as long as it isn't tresemme or the cheapest in the shop then I don't care about what brand. Been using Herbal Essences recently as I stocked up when it was cheap in the supermarket haha.

lapushka
July 9th, 2017, 03:47 AM
I don't think it matters what you buy, as long as your hair "agrees" with it. I buy "cheaper" (what is cheap anyway), I mean "regular price" drugstore shampoos and I do quite well on them. Things like Pantene, Herbal Essences, Head&Shoulders, Garnier, Nivea, etc.

Nique1202
July 9th, 2017, 06:39 AM
All my products are Tresemme and Herbal Essences except for my oils (a combination of Body Shop and Fructis), and my hair's never been longer, stronger, or happier. If your hair is happy with expensive products and you can afford them, then more power to you. But, with the variety of low- and mid-range products these days (Herbal Essences, Fructis, and Tresemme all have like a dozen different varieties, and you can mix and match from different lines and brands) I don't think 99% of people need high-end products to have happy hair. Some people just might have to experiment more and try different combinations of products to find what they need.

lapushka
July 9th, 2017, 06:43 AM
All my products are Tresemme and Herbal Essences except for my oils (a combination of Body Shop and Fructis), and my hair's never been longer, stronger, or happier. If your hair is happy with expensive products and you can afford them, then more power to you. But, with the variety of low- and mid-range products these days (Herbal Essences, Fructis, and Tresemme all have like a dozen different varieties, and you can mix and match from different lines and brands) I don't think 99% of people need high-end products to have happy hair. Some people just might have to experiment more and try different combinations of products to find what they need.

Yes, how many of the long hairs don't use regular drugstore products. It is a myth that you need to go expensive to have long and gorgeous hair. Of course, some brands want to sell you that dream, but... no way. It's not the case for so many of us. Not that I want to kick the shins of people who use more expensive products. I use Shea Moisture, and for drugstore, to me, that is heck-a pretty pricy!

Aredhel
July 9th, 2017, 09:05 AM
Ive only ever found 2-3 shampoos that my hair/scalp hated and Im mostly the low- budget- shampoo- type of girl. Sure Ive tried the fancy hairdresser stuff out of curiosity too, but they just werent worth the price, since I could get the same result from the cheap ones.
Same. The last hairdresser I went to who did my ombre years ago talked me into getting this $30 shampoo and $30 conditioner....the shampoo didn't clean my hair any better than my $5 shampoos do, and the conditioner was very disappointing as well.

Rebeccalaurenxx
July 9th, 2017, 10:59 AM
Everything I use in my hair is drugstore. I don't notice a difference in salon vs drugstore products, because they're all made with the same stuff - as much as you wanna believe that they're not.
What matters is not the brand but the pattern of the ingredients and what ingredients you know work in your hair.. if you don't know what your hair likes, that can be the issue... and 2 products can have the same stuff but one has them in a different order or one of them has one ingredient more than the other. You have to do research and look at the ingredients, blaming the brand and price of the product isnt the answer, as most hair brands are owned by the same conglomerates. They're owned by the same sister companies. And they all use the same ingredients, they just use different brand names with eac sister company to target every audience they can make money off of.

Simsy
July 9th, 2017, 05:54 PM
Tresemme and Garnier are the better brands for me. I used Herbal Essences as a kid and the curls just felt fried after about collar length. While I do agree that most salon brands aren't worth the extra money, there are times when dropping a bit of extra coin can be well worth the effort.

Oils and leave-ins, on the other hand, I'm not particularly fussy and will try almost anything at least once.

meteor
July 9th, 2017, 06:31 PM
Everything I use in my hair is drugstore. I don't notice a difference in salon vs drugstore products, because they're all made with the same stuff - as much as you wanna believe that they're not.
What matters is not the brand but the pattern of the ingredients and what ingredients you know work in your hair.. if you don't know what your hair likes, that can be the issue... and 2 products can have the same stuff but one has them in a different order or one of them has one ingredient more than the other. You have to do research and look at the ingredients, blaming the brand and price of the product isnt the answer, as most hair brands are owned by the same conglomerates. They're owned by the same sister companies. And they all use the same ingredients, they just use different brand names with each sister company to target every audience they can make money off of.

^ I'm pretty much in this camp, as well. :agree: Most of the price difference comes from the difference in marketing, distribution, branding... hardly ingredient-driven issues. ;) If they are meant to be sold in salons, the price will be quite different because of that factor alone, even if the ingredients are the same.

And if we are talking personal experiences, some of the products I've liked the least were actually salon brands and also the time when I used salon products coincided with the time when I had the hair I didn't love (over-highlighted, APL-BSL-length over-trimmed and massively layered hair with an unrecognizeable texture - all my natural waves were gone)... of course, this was probably due simply to going to salon, getting hair over-trimmed and over-highlighted, rather than any specific products... But I did try some of those products much later and they still never wowed me more than, say, some good old Garnier Fructis with extra cones, for example. :shrug:

And here are a couple interesting articles on salon vs. drugstore products and their ingredients:
http://thebeautybrains.com/2009/06/are-salon-products-in-regular-stores-the-same-as-those-in-salons/
http://thebeautybrains.com/2013/11/the-beauty-brains-show-episode-03-are-salon-ingredients-higher-quality/
http://thebeautybrains.com/2015/04/do-loreal-products-really-thicken-hair/

spidermom
July 9th, 2017, 06:44 PM
The shampoo doesn't seem to matter much for my hair, either. I dilute it in warm water most of the time.

AlKhazzaR
July 10th, 2017, 10:14 AM
There is nothing what is more essential for me than a good shampoo. By good I don't mean it has to be expensive, however cheapest ones simply don't agree with my skin so mid range does the trick. Under the term "good" I understand enough gentle to don't make me go insane with my atopic dermatitis, but at the same time enough volumizing to don't look like wet hen. Herbal based ones are my favourites, as long as it's made mild with some oils otherwise no matter of following conditioner I will finish with giant frizz.

Kandy
July 14th, 2017, 08:18 AM
I used to use really expensive shampoo and conditioner... what can I say, they were awful :(. Any shampoo that I tried left an incredible amount of bulid-up (though that may have also had to do with me not really getting the 'how to use shampoo' technique down). The conditioners were alright, but gave me bad backne. Now I just use stuff from Walmart, and my hair has never looked better.

Edit: I've gone back to expensive stuff (keratherapy) and it's so much better now that I have the technique down. I take this post back :doh:

Flipgirl24
July 20th, 2017, 02:54 AM
I prefer salon shampoos. I find the cheaper shampoos either leave my hair full of gunk (Ie. Pantene, Dove) or like straw. I don't like the squeaky, stripped feeling after washing either. I usually buy my hair stuff at Winners so it's cheaper than at a salon. Not as inexpensive as drugstore brands but more so than at a salon. However, there are some salon brands that leave my hair the same way that the cheaper brands do. It's just trial and error. Whatever works.

vega
July 20th, 2017, 03:44 AM
My hair enjoys organix hair care range its not salon end but mid price range, my hair agrees with it especially the coconut hair range and with coupons I can get it half price my hair is amazing thx too this brand