PDA

View Full Version : Need help from experienced long curly hair dudes

dogyleo
July 6th, 2017, 08:41 PM
My hair is long enough to tie at the back with a band, however, some days my hair just rocks it, on the other hand, for some reason i dont know why it sucks, when i i tie it at back with the band the hair keeps resisting to go up not back. I dont know if i were able to explain well what i mean, but here is some pictures to elaborate more

https://ibb.co/kCRHSv (This photo shows when the hair is not straight to the back of the head and form mountain shape like)
https://ibb.co/dGYaEa (This is from the front showing how the mountain shape like looks terrible, also, the hair looks dead)
https://ibb.co/nxm1nv (This photo shows when i have a good hair day, and the hair is just tied to the back of the head with out doing the mountain shape)
https://ibb.co/iBcYja (This photo is how my hair looks with out tying it)

PS: I tried using styling products, but it sucks on me because the hair loses its curliness and stop puffing like in the picture below.

What should i do to tie my hair straight to the back with out forming a curve shape?
i will really appreciate your help, i have been growing my hair for long time and i like it, i dont want to chop it off.

Obsidian
July 6th, 2017, 10:09 PM
So you want it to be more slicked back on your head and not so poofy on the top? I would start with dampening it slightly then smoothing a couple drops of avocado oil across the top then try pulling it back.
What kind of products have you tried?

leayellena
July 7th, 2017, 03:25 AM
So you want it to be more slicked back on your head and not so poofy on the top? I would start with dampening it slightly then smoothing a couple drops of avocado oil across the top then try pulling it back.

sometimes I accept my poof, sometimes water fixes it.
for me simply CWC method (using conditioner on the scalp) helps tame my frizz and flyaways.

lapushka
July 7th, 2017, 04:25 AM
You can get some edge tamer (just for the front bits), and the rest can be slicked down with some gel (just about any type of Eco Styler is a good one). Looks like you can make a decent pony as is.

If you like there to be less frizz, you can achieve that by treating your hair well overall, and by adhering to the whole bit or parts of the "curly girl" method (it is for men too). Mostly the LOC/LCO method for styling (link is in my signature).

dogyleo
July 7th, 2017, 06:49 AM

I have tried styling cream and gel

dogyleo
July 7th, 2017, 06:51 AM
You can get some edge tamer (just for the front bits), and the rest can be slicked down with some gel (just about any type of Eco Styler is a good one). Looks like you can make a decent pony as is.

If you like there to be less frizz, you can achieve that by treating your hair well overall, and by adhering to the whole bit or parts of the "curly girl" method (it is for men too). Mostly the LOC/LCO method for styling (link is in my signature).

"curly girl" method is to stop using shampoo ?

likelikepenny
July 7th, 2017, 07:04 AM
First off, your hair is really nice.

If I want a slick ponytail, I start off with damp hair, add gel/pomade and then use a boar bristle brush to smooth my hair back before making a ponytail.

lapushka
July 7th, 2017, 08:02 AM
"curly girl" method is to stop using shampoo ?

You can still use shampoo if you like, just a sulfate-free one. Some people, like me, consider themselves still being on some form of curly girl method (due to the LOC/LCO styling method) but I use a regular sulfate shampoo. It's all up to you. You could try the method, though, what do you have to lose? :shrug:

Kat-Rinnč Naido
July 7th, 2017, 08:23 AM
If your hair and pony looks more tamed after a day or two following a wash that is because it is more hydrated. If it feels like it is receiving some signal from Mars and sticking out in most places that is due to it drying.

You may need to LOC/LCO style after wash and rehydrate by spritzing and oiling between washes. Also maybe change to using a satin or silk sleep bonnet to prevent your hair getting dehydrated during sleep as the linens tends to suck- up whatever little moisture you have in your hair.

Please remember to always seal in the moisture on your canopy and especially the smallest lengths on top of your head. Good luck.

dogyleo
July 7th, 2017, 11:05 AM
If your hair and pony looks more tamed after a day or two following a wash that is because it is more hydrated. If it feels like it is receiving some signal from Mars and sticking out in most places that is due to it drying.

You may need to LOC/LCO style after wash and rehydrate by spritzing and oiling between washes. Also maybe change to using a satin or silk sleep bonnet to prevent your hair getting dehydrated during sleep as the linens tends to suck- up whatever little moisture you have in your hair.

Please remember to always seal in the moisture on your canopy and especially the smallest lengths on top of your head. Good luck.

Thats exactly what have been happening to me

Hairkay
July 7th, 2017, 11:16 AM

I'm in agreement with Kat-Rinné, you'd get better results if you work out how to keep your hair properly hydrated. I like the puff look and have worn that for a while. Now my hair is better hydrated and longer it is harder to get that puff.

dogyleo
July 7th, 2017, 11:18 AM
i have no experience at all with LOC method... do i need to do the LOC method only after i wash my hair? and do i need to wash my hair again when iam back to home to wash off the cream and oil?
BTW i wash my hair once weekly with conditioner only

dogyleo
July 7th, 2017, 11:19 AM
also what is the preferred type of cream i should use?
i will use coconut oil

Hairkay
July 7th, 2017, 11:22 AM
i have no experience at all with LOC method... do i need to do the LOC method only after i wash my hair? and do i need to wash my hair again when iam back to home to wash off the cream and oil?
BTW i wash my hair once weekly with conditioner only

Moisturise your hair daily using the LOC or LCO method or whatever modification of that which works for your hair. Spritzing with water as the liquid tends to work well.

dogyleo
July 7th, 2017, 11:42 AM
Moisturise your hair daily using the LOC or LCO method or whatever modification of that which works for your hair. Spritzing with water as the liquid tends to work well.

Do i need to wash my hair again at the end of the day to wash off the cream and oil?

Hairkay
July 7th, 2017, 11:51 AM
Do i need to wash my hair again at the end of the day to wash off the cream and oil?

I've seen that others just leave it on. I don't use cream technically I do LO just a tiny bit of oil on hair ends so it mostly gets absorbed. I tend to stick to a little less than a teaspoon of oil at a time. Some oils get absorbed by the hair shafts, coconut oil is one of those with this property, olive oil is another. Sometimes I'd layer a thicker oil over the first, these would be best as sealants. It's up to you to decide what you wish to do about cream or oil.

dogyleo
July 7th, 2017, 11:55 AM
I've seen that others just leave it on. I don't use cream technically I do LO just a tiny bit of oil on hair ends so it mostly gets absorbed. I tend to stick to a little less than a teaspoon of oil at a time. Some oils get absorbed by the hair shafts, coconut oil is one of those with this property, olive oil is another. Sometimes I'd layer a thicker oil over the first, these would be best as sealants. It's up to you to decide what you wish to do about cream or oil.

your hair is some how similar to mine,, what oils have you tried that worked well on you?
also, how do you avoid your hair getting tangled?

lapushka
July 7th, 2017, 12:14 PM
your hair is some how similar to mine,, what oils have you tried that worked well on you?
also, how do you avoid your hair getting tangled?

I really encourage you to read up on curly girl.

You detangle your hair once in the shower with plenty of conditioner through it, rest of the week, leave it.

About the cream and the oil, you apply them once after a wash, and you leave them in for the entire week. Normally that should hydrate your hair pretty well, or if you need more moisture during the week, use a spritzer bottle to re-activate the products that are already in your hair. If you read through the LOC/LCO thread you'll realize you don't need much of each product for it to work well. It's the layering that does it.

Kat-Rinnč Naido
July 7th, 2017, 02:16 PM
Hi!
Washing with just conditioner is fine. Thereafter you need to seal in the moisture with a LOC / LCO which ever works best. The quantity wise you will need to workout through trial and error. Also keep an eye for which oils tends to make your hair feel crunchy that would mean that your hair does not like it or fast builds up or gives a drying feeling.

If you are a once a week washer there is no need to wash till next due date. You may just need to spritz and seal once between wash.

Remember curly hair needs moisture. Good luck.

Kat-Rinnč Naido
July 7th, 2017, 02:28 PM
also what is the preferred type of cream i should use?
i will use coconut oil

I use one of my body creams. As I do not like the scents of the hair creams that I tried. They gave me a headache.

A good LOC /LCO helps to keep some tangles at bay. Wearing your hair loose can create a lot of tangles. For me first and second day after wash day are the best to wear my hair loose.

dogyleo
July 7th, 2017, 08:03 PM
Thank you very much i really appreciate your help :)

dogyleo
July 7th, 2017, 08:04 PM
Do you recommend any type of cream or oil for my hair to save the effort of trial and error

Obsidian
July 7th, 2017, 10:00 PM
What country are you in? Personally, I like avocado or almond oil. For the cream I like this but it does have a lot cones, might not work real well if you only co wash.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Herbal-Essences-Bio-renew-Repair-Argan-Oil-of-Morocco-Oil-Infused-Creme-5-1-fl-oz-Spout-Top-Can/163908664

before that, I was using
https://www.target.com/p/johnson-s-no-more-tangles-conditioner-6-7oz/-/A-11427123?sid=636S&ref=tgt_adv_XS000000&AFID=google_pla_df&CPNG=PLA_Baby+Shopping_Local&adgroup=SC_Baby&LID=700000001170770pgs&network=g&device=c&location=9029654&gclid=CjwKEAjw4vzKBRCt9Zmg8f2blgESJADN5fDgQ3F74w_o eRDtixszVUX9mQ_W3wp5CtIDVRza-E8-QRoC91jw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Kat-Rinnč Naido
July 8th, 2017, 02:46 AM
This is what I use.
https://intl.target.com/p/palmer-s-174-cocoa-butter-formula-174-moisturizing-body-lotion-8-5-oz/-/A-13528975
It is available on the shelf in most stores here.

What oils have you tried.

lapushka
July 8th, 2017, 05:47 AM
Do you recommend any type of cream or oil for my hair to save the effort of trial and error

Yes, what country are you in. Saves us from recommending the wrong things, and things you might not be able to get in your part of the world.

dogyleo
July 8th, 2017, 08:45 AM
Iam in Egypt