PDA

View Full Version : Have a few ingredient questions!

Rebeccalaurenxx
July 5th, 2017, 07:30 PM
So I really like the Hask brand leave in oil treatments. All of them seem to work really nice in my hair and all the formulas seem to contain the same 3 ingredients. The first two are usually always Cyclopentasiloxane and Dimethiconol. Which I think are cones.
They all seem to also contain Benzophenone-3 but I am not sure if this is also a cone.

Im wondering if all these ingredients are the silicones my hair seems to need?
And what are the properties of these cones? Water soluble or are they the kind that evaporate?
My hair seems to hate demthicone, and at first I thought they had demthicone but they don't at all.

So any info on these ingredients? Thanks :)
Not sure where to look in the forum on specific cones so that I can do more research on specific ones that my hair likes.

Robi-Bird
July 5th, 2017, 07:42 PM
Benzophenone-3 is a chemical used in sunscreens to protect against sun damage, I imagine it has the same purpose in your leave ins. Cyclopentasiloxane and Dimethiconol are indeed silicones. If your hair is happy, I wouldn't read much further into it.

Rebeccalaurenxx
July 5th, 2017, 08:06 PM
Benzophenone-3 is a chemical used in sunscreens to protect against sun damage, I imagine it has the same purpose in your leave ins. Cyclopentasiloxane and Dimethiconol are indeed silicones. If your hair is happy, I wouldn't read much further into it.

Well.. yeah. But no. I think its important to know the kind of cones you're using because then you can plan accordingly and avoid build up...

Because I have fine hair and hard hard water, my hair is prone to build up and does not like demthicone, and I want to know more about these cones, to further prevent a good thing eventually no longer being a good thing anymore. My hair might really like it now, but it might not like it in 2 weeks.

lapushka
July 6th, 2017, 07:42 AM
So I really like the Hask brand leave in oil treatments. All of them seem to work really nice in my hair and all the formulas seem to contain the same 3 ingredients. The first two are usually always Cyclopentasiloxane and Dimethiconol. Which I think are cones.
They all seem to also contain Benzophenone-3 but I am not sure if this is also a cone.

Im wondering if all these ingredients are the silicones my hair seems to need?
And what are the properties of these cones? Water soluble or are they the kind that evaporate?
My hair seems to hate demthicone, and at first I thought they had demthicone but they don't at all.

So any info on these ingredients? Thanks :)
Not sure where to look in the forum on specific cones so that I can do more research on specific ones that my hair likes.

Yep, those 2 are silicones; not sure about the last one. You can look them up on Google to see whether or not they're water soluble or not. I'd have to do the same. ;)

Rebeccalaurenxx
July 6th, 2017, 10:39 AM
Yep, those 2 are silicones; not sure about the last one. You can look them up on Google to see whether or not they're water soluble or not. I'd have to do the same. ;)

I couldn't really find anything except for that one of them is banned in the U.K. and can cause hormonal imbalances? Lol...

renia22
July 6th, 2017, 11:18 AM
Here's a list of silicones and their solubility from the
Science-y hair blog. If you read through the comments, she also explains why it's a good idea to look at overall formulas and how they perform on your hair rather than focusing on individual ingredients, and also how shampooing will remove them. If there's something else you have a question about, you can post a comment over there, she's very nice about answering questions:

http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.com/2014/04/silicone-ingredient-solubility-list.html?m=1

Rebeccalaurenxx
July 6th, 2017, 11:30 AM
Here's a list of silicones and their solubility from the
Science-y hair blog. If you read through the comments, she also explains why it's a good idea to look at overall formulas and how they perform on your hair rather than focusing on individual ingredients, and also how shampooing will remove them. If there's something else you have a question about, you can post a comment over there, she's very nice about answering questions:

http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.com/2014/04/silicone-ingredient-solubility-list.html?m=1
Thank you thank you!!!
So I was right. The first cone is not water solluable but does evaporate and the second cone is not water solluable and will need to be clarified out every once in awhile!

Good to know, that's exactly what I wanted to know :)