PDA

View Full Version : Straight perm?

DarklingAndy
July 3rd, 2017, 01:52 PM
Hi all,

I'm thinking of chemically straightening my hair at home. I just really like my hair straight, it makes if easier to deal with and style.

My hair is thick, coarse, wavy-frizzy, and pretty strong. It isn't dyed or anything. I flat iron it sometimes; used to do it 2-3 times a week but now I've cut back to about once a month, and I always use heat protectant. I take good care of my hair, oiling and deep conditioning and only minimal heat/brushing.

I've seen people say that perming changes the texture of your hair, but in what way does it change? What kind of damage could I expect? From what I've read it seems like my hair might be a good candidate for straight perming, but I'd like advice. Thanks!

-Andy

wo
July 3rd, 2017, 02:08 PM
Honestly I think this is one of the harshest things you can do to hair, and whether it's virgin and in great condition now or not, I would expect heavy damage. I did this to virgin 3b hair when I was young, which I thought my hair could withstand, but it was like hay after a single relaxer, and went orange and brassy. I cut it off into a pixie to start over, it was so destroyed. Your hair may certainly handle it better, but I really don't think it's the answer. From that experience I learned how to care for curls, because it's really so much easier than fighting them. There may also be better ways to straighten it, that other people here may know more about. That's just my bad experience with one!

Larki
July 3rd, 2017, 02:24 PM
We have a member with very long gorgeous chemically straightened hair...Miniko, maybe? I'm drawing a blank on the exact name, I haven't been here as much lately.

wo
July 3rd, 2017, 02:46 PM
You know what... I'm talking about the kind in the ethic hair care section, and I realized you are probably not. Haha... I'm sure that is the worst thing to use, and if you're referring to other methods disregard my experience.

DarklingAndy
July 3rd, 2017, 03:36 PM
wo, I did actually try a relaxer once a few years back. It left my hair covered in residue that took a couple washes to get out, but other than that, did absolutely nothing to my hair. That's why I thought maybe I'd try something stronger/more permanent. :]

wo
July 3rd, 2017, 03:42 PM
wo, I did actually try a relaxer once a few years back. It left my hair covered in residue that took a couple washes to get out, but other than that, did absolutely nothing to my hair. That's why I thought maybe I'd try something stronger/more permanent. :]
Oh ok, then I'd think that's a good sign that you have resilient hair. I'm sure there's something that will work for what you want.

lapushka
July 3rd, 2017, 04:08 PM

A relaxer is the strongest you can go. Keratin straightening is much lighter than a relaxer, and I would *not* recommend a relaxer at all, especially not if you've had one a few years back. 2a hair is barely wavy, so a relaxer is overkill anyway.

Also... Try and account for "overlap", so if you do do it, inform the people who are going to do it that you did one a few years ago so they know where not to put the new chemicals.

*Wednesday*
July 3rd, 2017, 04:19 PM
Hi all,

I'm thinking of chemically straightening my hair at home. I just really like my hair straight, it makes if easier to deal with and style.

My hair is thick, coarse, wavy-frizzy, and pretty strong. It isn't dyed or anything. I flat iron it sometimes; used to do it 2-3 times a week but now I've cut back to about once a month, and I always use heat protectant. I take good care of my hair, oiling and deep conditioning and only minimal heat/brushing.

I've seen people say that perming changes the texture of your hair, but in what way does it change? What kind of damage could I expect? From what I've read it seems like my hair might be a good candidate for straight perming, but I'd like advice. Thanks!

-Andy

What are your expectations for hair growth, health and length retention? :) I know you make a case your hair is strong does not mean damage is not being done and you could be a good candidate for hair breakage. Instead of altering your hair, maybe you can learn how to care for the hair you have.

"If left on too long, relaxers can cause mass hair breakage. Also, the act of ‘straightening’ the hair out during the processing can overstretch the hair shafts and leave insufficient elasticity for the hair to withstand normal styling procedures."
https://www.philipkingsley.com/hair-guide/chemical-hair-processing-and-colouring/chemical-straightening-relaxing-your-hair/

Corvana
July 3rd, 2017, 05:46 PM
I also want to add that I don't advise doing it yourself. Have a professional do it for you.

DarklingAndy
July 3rd, 2017, 07:11 PM
Well, all the hair that'd been relaxed has been chopped now. I wish I had the money to get this done professionally but I can't afford it. Student loans. T_T

Though now I'm wondering, if the relaxer didn't do anything, will straightening with a perm solution even have any affect on my hair??

spidermom
July 3rd, 2017, 07:42 PM
Bad idea! 2A hair can be managed by other means - products to tame frizz, rolling on large rollers, etc. I think even a flat iron used once a week would be less harsh than a straight perm.

*Wednesday*
July 3rd, 2017, 07:43 PM
I also want to add that I don't advise doing it yourself. Have a professional do it for you.

100% agree, Corvana.

Though now I'm wondering, if the relaxer didn't do anything, will straightening with a perm solution even have any affect on my hair??

You are going to damage your hair. I agree with Lapushka a relaxer it's too strong for your type of hair. And are you sure the previous relaxer is all cut out? Completely? Unless you really had a very short haircut, if you put in a relaxer 3 years ago, the last three inches can still have the relaxer in it. Be very careful. Don't be a "kitchen beautician" which is going to lead to heartbreak. Many African-American women are going natural trying to step away from the relaxers. They aren't good for the hair.

Ophidian
July 3rd, 2017, 08:09 PM
My hair can be as wavy as 3a under the right conditions, but I tend to prefer a sleeker look. I am able to achieve this without heat by applying a few drops of oil to damp hair after a wash and then loosely braiding or bunning it. I get some braidwaves this way, but my hair is a lot more compact than if I leave it down until it is totally dry, and I find it straightens out even more over the next few days until washing again. I'm not sure if I'm explaining this clearly, but basically what I'm getting at is what Spidermom mentioned above. With your texture, you may be able to get the look you want just by changing how you dry, handle, and/or style your hair. Also there's a technique called wrapping that might be something to look into, though I haven't personally tried it.

Dark40
August 14th, 2017, 09:02 PM
I get my hair relaxed all of the time! But I stretch out my relaxing treatments to 20 weeks. Instead of 6-8 weeks, and I have curly thick hair. My relaxed never gets damaged! I really take good care of my hair with co washes, deep conditioning treatments, and protein treatments. I co wash 5 times a week, and deep condition twice a week. My hair always comes out amazing!

Kellylee
August 14th, 2017, 10:57 PM
If you are set on doing it and don't have the money for a professional to do it I would suggest looking into a beauty school. It wouldn't be that expensive and while you still have a chance of ruining your hair at least it would be better than trying to do it yourself.

meteor
August 14th, 2017, 11:29 PM
Yes, both relaxers and keratin straightening (japanese, brazilian) are quite damaging, they break disulfide bonds in hair, and here is a list of some relevant studies with links: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=136845&p=3192947&viewfull=1#post3192947

Bad idea! 2A hair can be managed by other means - products to tame frizz, rolling on large rollers, etc. ...

^ This. :agree:
And it's much better in the long run to work with the texture rather than against it, especially if you want to grow hair very long without constant trimming. And trying this solution at home is pretty risky if you aren't experienced with the product.
Honestly, 2a hair straightens out under its own weight past a certain length pretty easily anyway. Add to that some anti-frizz smoothing silicones/oils and some damp-setting (covered with a silky scarf) or blow-drying on cool setting... - et voilą, you get straight hair. ;)