PDA

View Full Version : Maintain, Cut, or just let it be? Advice needed!

moon_witch
July 3rd, 2017, 08:14 AM
Hey guys!
So basically I have been doing monthly microtrims/dustings. My hair is average thickness but it's on the finer side and my ends are way thinner than the rest of my hair. This is partially because of damage caused by rough handling and not enough moisture from before i joined tlhc. Its not extremely damaged or anything though. Another reason might be that I rarely used to cut it before starting regular microtrims so it might be natural fairytale ends.

I would really love to have a thicker hemline and I have seen some progress with the trims but because I still wanted to gain a little bit of length it's nothing crazy. So now I don't know what to do. I thought maybe I should just cut all of my monthly growth off but I also really wanna get to tailbone length. So I thought maybe I should just leave it alone until it's at that length and then maintain but I don't know if that will mean that I lose all of my progress.
Of course I could also continue doing what I do now but that means that I'm not gonna make it to tailbone this year and the thickness is also only gonna increase slowly.

What would you guys do?

http://i.imgur.com/ztKnKDMm.jpg

the first one is last December and the second was taken today. It's a little frizzy because I bushed out some bun waves but you can still see the difference pretty well.

Cherriezzzzz
July 3rd, 2017, 08:34 AM
I think if I could choose hair I would take yours. Don't change a thing! Literally perfect... my hair is too thick to ever be so bouncy, full, soft and voluminous!

moon_witch
July 3rd, 2017, 08:49 AM
I think if I could choose hair I would take yours. Don't change a thing! Literally perfect... my hair is too thick to ever be so bouncy, full, soft and voluminous!

Thanks! I guess we always want what we don't have :D

oatmeal1991
July 3rd, 2017, 09:24 AM
your hair looks lovely! I'd keep it, but also fairytale ends don't work on my hair, so I might be biased ; )

Nymphe
July 3rd, 2017, 09:30 AM
I say wait until you hit your goal and microtrim.

ReadingRenee
July 3rd, 2017, 09:30 AM
Your hair is really pretty. It looks to me like the thickness is actually traveling down the length over time, so I don't know if you need to trim it yet. The ends look good to me. I think it just depends on how you feel about it.

Aredhel
July 3rd, 2017, 09:31 AM
I'm the same as you - ends are significantly thinner than the rest of my hair because of several years of poor hair care that I only improved on half a year ago. My short term goal is classic...I think it's good to grow to your desired length before maintaining, fairytale ends tend to look better with length IMHO, although yours are super pretty to begin with. :)

lapushka
July 3rd, 2017, 10:05 AM
TBH with you, my layers are practically as thin at the bottom; so I would not worry about it! Just continue on your journey to TBL, and keep doing the microtrims meanwhile. You'll get there, and it will even out, with some time. :flower:

moon_witch
July 3rd, 2017, 10:44 AM
Thank you all so much! You're all so sweet :flowers: :o

Aredhel I actually think that fairytale ends can look really pretty, especially on longer hair as well! I guess I'm just kinda self-conscious about it because people always told me how thin my hair looks.

lapushka I guess patience is key and I'm sure your hair is really pretty :D

DarkChocolate
July 3rd, 2017, 10:53 AM
Keep it! I love your fairytale ends:)

moon_witch
July 3rd, 2017, 11:24 AM
Keep it! I love your fairytale ends:)

Thanks! :o

MidnightMoon
July 3rd, 2017, 11:42 AM
I don't see anything wrong with your hair. It's not even hair that I would consider to be "thinning" if I saw it down the street. If you really want a thicker hemline, you can microtrim, or just chop the last 6 inches. I wouldn't chop because your hair won't grow evenly anyway, and I find a thicker hemlines gives the illusion of shorter hair, which I don't prefer.

Rebeccalaurenxx
July 3rd, 2017, 11:51 AM
If you want a thicker hemline, micro trim every month. Micro trimming isn't the worst thing and you're not going to loose a lot of length or growth from doing so. If you're unhappy with the way it looks, change it! :)
If I was you I would micro trim, but I personally like blunt ends. Your length is nice though. It's a good length, I would be happy to maintain at that length because it's still very long. My hair is half the length of yours.

pandabarrier
July 3rd, 2017, 12:02 PM
The thickness is traveling down, I don't think your ends look thin. How often do you micro-trim? You could do it less often, if you want to reach your goal quicker and gradually thicken hemline at the same time.

lapushka
July 3rd, 2017, 12:53 PM
lapushka I guess patience is key and I'm sure your hair is really pretty :D

So is yours, I love fairytaling ends.

woodswanderer
July 3rd, 2017, 01:21 PM
Your hair looks nice as it is now. I think either course is fine. You'll have to decide if the goal you want to reach first is length or a thicker hemline. Once you achieve the first priority, move on to the second. As far as getting a thicker hemline, the easiest way is to maintain at a certain length for a while. Good luck in whatever you decide.

Sarahlabyrinth
July 3rd, 2017, 01:42 PM
I say wait until you hit your goal and microtrim.

I would say this too, and you're not far from TBL :) Plus your hair looks beautiful just the way it is. Let it reach your goal, then micro trim. I'm doing this too, with mine.

moon_witch
July 3rd, 2017, 02:59 PM
I don't see anything wrong with your hair. It's not even hair that I would consider to be "thinning" if I saw it down the street. If you really want a thicker hemline, you can microtrim, or just chop the last 6 inches. I wouldn't chop because your hair won't grow evenly anyway, and I find a thicker hemlines gives the illusion of shorter hair, which I don't prefer.

That's what I was thinking too. If I cut some more off the ends it will look thicker but if I then don't trim it, it will probably grow back the same anyway.

moon_witch
July 3rd, 2017, 03:01 PM
The thickness is traveling down, I don't think your ends look thin. How often do you micro-trim? You could do it less often, if you want to reach your goal quicker and gradually thicken hemline at the same time.

So far I've been trimming it every month. Switching to every 3 months until I gain some more length might be a good idea! :)

moon_witch
July 3rd, 2017, 03:04 PM
I would say this too, and you're not far from TBL :) Plus your hair looks beautiful just the way it is. Let it reach your goal, then micro trim. I'm doing this too, with mine.

Thanks! I think I might try to grow it longer for now and see how my ends are doing in 3 months and if needed I can just trim a little but it will still be more growth than what I get now with monthly trims and once I get there I can just maintain. :)

moon_witch
July 3rd, 2017, 03:17 PM
Your hair looks nice as it is now. I think either course is fine. You'll have to decide if the goal you want to reach first is length or a thicker hemline. Once you achieve the first priority, move on to the second. As far as getting a thicker hemline, the easiest way is to maintain at a certain length for a while. Good luck in whatever you decide.

Thank you! It's so hard to choose between length and a thicker hemline but I might have to go with length for now and then maintain. :D

Thanks for everybody's advice. It really helped! :flower:

queenbee1
July 3rd, 2017, 04:42 PM
I'd say trim 1 inch every month till you get the desired thickness and then grow it out. :) best of luck!

Aredhel
July 3rd, 2017, 04:45 PM
Thank you! It's so hard to choose between length and a thicker hemline but I might have to go with length for now and then maintain. :D

Thanks for everybody's advice. It really helped! :flower:

Glad you decided to let it grow! :D