PDA

View Full Version : Dropped my hair scissors

Spinder
July 1st, 2017, 02:25 PM
I don't know how it happened, I've tried to be so careful, but I have failed thanks to a road trip in a cramped car... I heard a clang, and suddenly my scissors were on the asphalt.

I'm so upset with myself.. After all, they did cost over 60$... I heard someone say once on here that drop your shears once and they're ruined. I checked for damage and found no dents or chips in the blades, and it doesn't feel like the screw has been knocked loose..

How worried should I be? How likely are my scissors ruined?

lapushka
July 1st, 2017, 03:41 PM
I wouldn't worry about it, if they aren't damaged. After all it didn't fall head-on on the blades, right?

Beatrixity
July 1st, 2017, 04:35 PM
You could always do the wet facial tissue test make sure they can still cut without snagging if you want to make sure they sustained no damage. Take a facial tissue, mist it until it's wet, and snip into it. If it cuts cleanly without too much effort, your scissors are good to go. :)

lapushka
July 1st, 2017, 04:50 PM
You could always do the wet facial tissue test make sure they can still cut without snagging if you want to make sure they sustained no damage. Take a facial tissue, mist it until it's wet, and snip into it. If it cuts cleanly without too much effort, your scissors are good to go. :)

I think they risk going blunt if tested on anything other than hair.

Nique1202
July 1st, 2017, 06:47 PM
I think some people are a little over-paranoid about the quality of their shears when it comes to cutting hair, and that's rubbed off on you. If the screw doesn't seem to have loosened and the blades still make a smooth noise when you open and close them slowly (burrs in the cutting surface would cause disturbances in the noise), I really truly wouldn't worry about it too much. Surely they have to be able to stand up to hairdressers dropping them now and then in salons, right? With all the goop they probably accumulate on their hands in the run of a day.

Stormynights
July 1st, 2017, 08:12 PM
I would worry more about ruining them by cutting anything other than hair than just dropping them on asphalt.

Cherriezzzzz
July 1st, 2017, 09:23 PM
As a former hairdresser I can tell you we ALL drop our $100-200 scissors MULTIPLE times! Do not worry. The blade is the important part when it comes to keeping your ends in good shape and since your scissors aren't cheap the blade won't be effected. Whoever said dropped scissors are ruined may be someone who sells them hehe

Cherriezzzzz
July 1st, 2017, 09:25 PM
I would worry more about ruining them by cutting anything other than hair than just dropping them on asphalt.

This is EXACTLY the key. Never use haircutting scissors on anything other than human hair.
::horse:shudder::scissors::shocked:

Alex Lou
July 1st, 2017, 11:09 PM
Well some cheap haircutting scissors I had were ruined by dropping them once. The hinge was loosened or something. I could tell right away during s&D that they weren't cutting cleanly. I like the tissue test idea. I can't think a damp tissue will dull the blades.

Nique1202
July 2nd, 2017, 05:07 AM
Well some cheap haircutting scissors I had were ruined by dropping them once. The hinge was loosened or something. I could tell right away during s&D that they weren't cutting cleanly. I like the tissue test idea. I can't think a damp tissue will dull the blades.

Tissue is made of the same kind of cellulose as paper, it's just thinner and more flexible. Maybe just once won't cause blades to go from razor-sharp to dull, but it will blunt the blades, just slightly, on the microscopic level.

Dendra
July 2nd, 2017, 05:37 AM
I agree with the others that if the blades weren't damaged then this is the main thing. Especially because you can't detect any damage to the shears at all, I'd say you're good to go :)

TatsuOni
July 2nd, 2017, 05:57 AM
I once dropped my scissor really bad and the blades got bent. You could see and feel it. I had to buy a new one :rolleyes: If you can't see of feel any damage on your scissor, it should be safe to use :)