PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Alberta :)

Blaithin
June 30th, 2017, 11:53 AM
Hello one and all :)

My story starts with my love for long hair. Somewhere I think I still have a pony tail from Kindergarten when it was all chopped off to a bowl cut (Thank you 90's!). Through a variety of mommy made decisions it gradually grew out (and got rid of a perm :doh: ) and, once again, I had my wonderful long hair back. Then I decided to try and rock a boy short, pixie cut. Whether that was rocked or not I can't really say, but, once again, I've ended up back at my long hair. It's my vanity. It's thick and straight and so it might as well be long too! That's how I figure it anyway. Never really had any goal for length. It just grows until I decide I want a change. I think it's pretty close, if not already past, the longest I've ever had it right now though.

I've never been big on dying it and never been brave enough to dye all of it. That thought terrifies me because I'm just not sure how it will react LOL And since it's usually been growing out, regular trims just aren't my thing. If the ends are starting to look bad, sometimes I go in. Sometimes I just cut it myself. Not like it's full of layers and things that I worry about.

Anyway, this spring I decided to get some highlights. It's been years since I've highlighted it and thought the brown could do with a little pop. However, because of the years and years and years between my association with any sort of hairdressers... there was some miscommunication this time around. Maybe she said a word and I just didn't catch it or thought it meant something else or figured it was a fancy term for highlights. I mean... highlights are highlights aren't they?

Well I don't have highlights. I'm now blonde from the tops of my ears down :blueeek:

I gave myself a month or so to get used to it, but it's still just not my thing. I want my old hair back. But I don't want to start a vicious cycle of dying and damaging it. So on another forum about cows, Henna came up. I was intrigued. I started researching. Google lead me here. I was intrigued even more. I made an account. Here I am ;)

Every now and then I experiment with how I handle my hair. However I've never really had a go to resource, just things I hear and think I might try. I live out in the country and I'm outside quite a bit. Also work is a very dry environment and Canadian winters... well that just sucks moisture out of hair. So when it starts to get static-y and frizzy, I start thinking of trying something new. I have a boar hair brush but it doesn't really help get oils to my ends. I'm blessed with what seems an excessively oily scalp so have always hesitated with things like leave in conditioners and deep conditioners. But then, somewhere, I heard of what I call backwards washing. I put conditioner in everything from the pony tail down and usually let that sit while I read a chapter or two in the bath. Then I shampoo just the scalp and rinse it all. (Saving tonnes of shampoo this way too!) This had such good results I got a little bit braver and even started using an oil - again, just from the pony tail down. I think my hair is the healthiest it's ever been now!

My next step is going to be trying out a dry shampoo. Any particular brand suggestions? I refuse to shampoo more than twice a week as I don't want to dry my scalp out. But with the work with cows and the greasy scalp and all sorts of other stuff... sometimes my hair just starts to collect things (cow poop....) so I think dry shampoo may fit in my routine well. In the past just wet washing it out doesn't seem to work well and leads to tangles. However after reading about it on here, I may give that a try as well.

I'm also going to continue my research about henna. Because of my two tone hair and the blonde it may end up being a really bright coloured, two tone disaster so I'm not sure how brave I am. I'm thinking Cassia first just as a treatment and see? But then I read things about minerals in the water making it go green and since I'm on well water.... Ahhh! Anyone have experience with this? I'm not sure if I have the patience to wait for it to grow out LOL

That's my hair story though :) I look forward to digging in deeper here and learning a bunch more!

Corvana
June 30th, 2017, 05:37 PM
Welcome! If you do henna, remember that it's very very permanent! It's definitely something you'd have to grow out if you don't want it anymore. And cassia may dye the blonde if it's very pale? I think cassia has a very pale yellow hue, but I may be mistaken. I know it's basically invisible for darker hair, since that's where I live haha. Definitely strand test!!

A lot of people here don't really put shampoo on their lengths unless they're clarifying! I don't think there's really much need to, overall, unless you're washing something specific out of your hair. And dry shampoo doesn't really clean hair, it just absorbs oil, so it wouldn't help with your cow poop lol. But it'll help with the excess oil, though!

Blaithin
June 30th, 2017, 08:10 PM
Thank you :)

Yes, my research about henna is making me a little more hesitant about it. Don't want to jump out of the frying pan and into the fire LOL

I was just kind of hoping a dry shampoo might help me brush out cow poo. Maybe I'll have to do out "What helps you brush out icky things" thread!

Garnetgem
June 30th, 2017, 08:29 PM
Hello and welcome! :)

Corvana
July 1st, 2017, 12:16 AM
Thank you :)

Yes, my research about henna is making me a little more hesitant about it. Don't want to jump out of the frying pan and into the fire LOL

I was just kind of hoping a dry shampoo might help me brush out cow poo. Maybe I'll have to do out "What helps you brush out icky things" thread!

I'd honestly just wash it... wouldn't want to leave any poops in my hair lol.

TatsuOni
July 1st, 2017, 10:17 AM
Welcome! :)

Groovy Granny
July 1st, 2017, 08:56 PM
Welcome!

I don't think dry shampoo will handle cow poo, and it is not healthy for you, your scalp/hair or relationships to let it sit in there from shampoo to shampoo every 3- 4 days :tmi:

A moisturizing shampoo and conditioner should be gentle enough.
I have fine wispy silver and 1-2x/week has been fine for me (not drying at all); I like Joico Moisture shampoo and conditioner.

Happy growing :cheer:

Blaithin
July 1st, 2017, 10:10 PM
Haha I don't let the poo sit in my hair. I just don't like having to wash it so often if there's other methods to get it out. Brushing usually works but sometimes eau de poo lingers :eek:

Sarahlabyrinth
July 1st, 2017, 11:18 PM
Just shampoo your hair, the poo will come out. My DH was a dairy farmer and he has had, pee, poo, blood, birth fluids, everything in his hair.... :p

lapushka
July 4th, 2017, 04:53 AM
Welcome to the forum. I've been all over the place with my hair too. I can relate. :)

TressedOut
July 4th, 2017, 06:54 AM
Welcome! So if I understood your post correctly, you have two different colors in your hair right now? Bleach blonde and brown? If you really want that blonde gone and don't trust yourself to do it, you could go to a reputable salon (maybe read reviews on yelp and see if yelpers drop names on color experts) and have them correct the color. I recently had to correct my own color at home using products I bought at Sally's Beauty Supply. It was a long process though and a pain in the butt. As for getting things in your hair while at work, are you able to wear a cap or some kind of wrap to cover it? This might prevent the cow poop from getting into your hair, thus requiring you to wash less. Whatever you do, good luck!

Blaithin
July 4th, 2017, 03:33 PM
Yes, there are two colours. Well... more than two as the blonde is a bunch of different shades. But it's brown on top and blonde after.

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4229/35600884396_a3d49db370_z.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/WeVQBE)Blonde hair (https://flic.kr/p/WeVQBE) by lilactranquility (https://www.flickr.com/photos/25549175@N02/), on Flickr

I've thought of getting it dyed darker so it's closer to my natural colour and then growing that out. Originally I gave myself a couple of months so I didn't do dying back to back. Didn't want to stress out my hair more than I had to. It's recovered well and isn't near as dry as it was right after. So now it's just me getting up the nerve and deciding what I want to do. I've thought of going somewhere that - yes, has good reviews and the skill to help! - may add some highlights and lowlights so that the baylage actually looks more... baylagey? But even then it's seemed to start so high compared to most photos I see so I may just darken. Or I may just leave.

Not really in a rush. It's not going to be natural for quite a while no matter what I do LOL