PDA

View Full Version : Over shampooing question

abralash
June 30th, 2017, 11:37 AM
So I used a redken shampoo and I didn't know it was so concentrated, but I used a ton of it every wash. I went through a bottle and a half of the largest size before it started causing serious scalp problems. I've switched over to a less concentrated shampoo and I'm oiling my scalp right after washes along with doing hair masks every week. I can't seem to get the serious flaking of my scalp to stop. If I don't wash my hair about 4 times a week I start getting really bad hairline acne so matter how much I wash my face. Not really sure what to do for this. Every source I've looked at claims that dry scalp doesn't exist and it's just dandruff, but I wish I could afford to go to the dermatologist right now.

Dendra
June 30th, 2017, 11:50 AM
This might help you a little:

http://thebeautybrains.com/2014/06/dandruff-and-dry-scalp-whats-the-difference-the-beauty-brains-show-episode-33/

It basically explains the difference between dry scalp and dandruff. Are you having itching or inflammation, or is it just flaky skin?

abralash
June 30th, 2017, 11:52 AM
Definitely itchy and inflamed, along with the flakes.

Anje
June 30th, 2017, 12:15 PM
I would try NOT oiling your scalp, and see if that does anything different. Itchy, inflamed, flakey scalp could be a couple of things, but I don't think it's dry skin. Seborrheic dermatitis is a common culprit, and if it is that, oiling will exacerbate the problem.

What are you washing with now?

abralash
June 30th, 2017, 12:17 PM
I'm using calia's moisturizing s&c. This has never happened before and it's just so dry?

Anje
June 30th, 2017, 12:26 PM
This stuff? https://usa.calianatural.com/products/organic-moisturizing-shampoo-240-ml That's also a lot of oil.

See, here's the thing: IF you have seborrheic dermatitis, the Redken shampoo didn't cause it, but it might actually have been holding it back. The condition is caused by a reaction to a fungus that most of us have on our scalps, which feeds on scalp oils. Its secretions are chemically similar to a lot of plant oils, and all this can build to create a reaction in sensitive individuals. The easiest thing to keep it at bay if you are sensitive, is to keep the scalp well cleaned of oils and possibly to reduce the growth of that fungus.

I'd suggest you grab a bottle of basic old Head and Shoulders shampoo. Maybe a moisturizing variety, if you want to go that route. The point is to go to something that cleans with sulfates, and the zinc pyrithione certainly won't hurt anything either. Wash on your usual schedule, don't put oil on your scalp, and see how things go.

abralash
June 30th, 2017, 12:30 PM
I've always had really oily hair and this has never happened before, I'm pretty sure this is dry scalp caused by the over shampooing and not caused by too much oil.

abralash
June 30th, 2017, 01:21 PM
I don't know, I've just tried an apple cider vinegar rinse, so I'll try that for a while. I don't know what I'm going to do for it if it doesn't help though.

Dendra
June 30th, 2017, 02:00 PM
I don't know, I've just tried an apple cider vinegar rinse, so I'll try that for a while. I don't know what I'm going to do for it if it doesn't help though.

Did the apple cider vinegar help with the itchiness?

abralash
June 30th, 2017, 02:02 PM
Did the apple cider vinegar help with the itchiness?

For now it has, it's still wet, but it did sting because of the open sores on my scalp. :(

truepeacenik
June 30th, 2017, 03:25 PM
Listen to Antje.
She knows what she's talking about.

SD can develop at any time.
You might not have it, but the H&S will help you get back to baseline.

Then, don't mess with your scalp for a week or two, to see how it is.

lapushka
June 30th, 2017, 03:35 PM
I've always had really oily hair and this has never happened before, I'm pretty sure this is dry scalp caused by the over shampooing and not caused by too much oil.

SD can present as dry scalp. Trust me, if you are oily, it's NOT dry scalp. Like Anje already clearly stated, oiling will only make it worse (much much worse). Try and get Nizoral 1% (the 2% is prescription only). And don't mess around with any other products. It might take a while to clear itself up, but stick with it until it's all gone.