PDA

View Full Version : favorite oily hair products?? :))

terebinth
June 29th, 2017, 07:33 PM
There definitely is probably another thread on this, but I wanted opinions!! currently, I'm using Amika Triple Rx Shampoo and ogx tea tree & mint conditioner, and eprouvage leave-in conditioner. In the mornings, I use drybar's detox dry shampoo to mask the grease.

I am going to be transitioning into using the chagrin valley's nettle shampoo bar and their lavender rosemary dry shampoo if I need it!

so I want opinions! for my fellow oily-hairs, what are your favorite products to use to help distribute / cut down on the overall oiliness of your hair?

~terra :heartbeat :heartbeat

Kaorin
June 30th, 2017, 04:48 AM
oh, I'd love some tips also. At the moment I was my hair every second day and just let it be greasy on second day because I'm too lazy for daily washes :o Somehow I don't do well at stretching washes at all. It is allways like some someone dropped a whole package of butter on top of my head on day 3.

Cherriezzzzz
June 30th, 2017, 04:57 AM
Fellow GREASY hair gal here. Throughout the entire year last year, I was obsessed with Morrocainoil products. The scent is wonderful. They are pricey but anyhow, the absolute last shampoo and conditioner I tried was Moisture Repair... sounds rich and indulgent and... not drying?! I could skip a day with that stuff! Never ever in my life have I been able to do that. I'm currently using Chagrin Valley shampoo bars however now. This year is my year with those and I'm loving them. They are helpful with my oil, but I've not tried them all yet. I am trying to stretch my washes, and I'm getting there. I've always been a daily washer due to the morning greasies. I can wash at night and wake up without being too oily with the shampoo bars now. Morrocainoil dry shampoo was probably the best dry shampoo I've ever used also. However their oily scalp treatment did nothing, fyi. Haha go figure!

terebinth
June 30th, 2017, 05:14 AM
Fellow GREASY hair gal here. Throughout the entire year last year, I was obsessed with Morrocainoil products. The scent is wonderful. They are pricey but anyhow, the absolute last shampoo and conditioner I tried was Moisture Repair... sounds rich and indulgent and... not drying?! I could skip a day with that stuff! Never ever in my life have I been able to do that. I'm currently using Chagrin Valley shampoo bars however now. This year is my year with those and I'm loving them. They are helpful with my oil, but I've not tried them all yet. I am trying to stretch my washes, and I'm getting there. I've always been a daily washer due to the morning greasies. I can wash at night and wake up without being too oily with the shampoo bars now. Morrocainoil dry shampoo was probably the best dry shampoo I've ever used also. However their oily scalp treatment did nothing, fyi. Haha go figure!

oh nice! which shampoo bars do you use for the oil? it looks like we have a somewhat similar hair type; I ordered the nettle one, but there was a neem and tea tree one for oil specifically too. I'll have to look into Morrocainoil products!! thank you so much!!

vpatt
June 30th, 2017, 08:04 AM
Have you considered WO? It is not for everyone, but I was very surprised to find that it cut down on oil production. It does take an adjustment. Lots of info on the water only and the water only mostly threads.

terebinth
June 30th, 2017, 08:16 AM
Have you considered WO? It is not for everyone, but I was very surprised to find that it cut down on oil production. It does take an adjustment. Lots of info on the water only and the water only mostly threads.

yes I have!! I am currently doing CWC to give my hair time to adjust to new products I'm going to be getting, but in the coming months I'm going to be testing out a hybrid WO/infrequent washing techniques so that I can get acclimated to it. I'm really hoping that it'll help cut down on the grease.

Cherriezzzzz
June 30th, 2017, 03:29 PM
oh nice! which shampoo bars do you use for the oil? it looks like we have a somewhat similar hair type; I ordered the nettle one, but there was a neem and tea tree one for oil specifically too. I'll have to look into Morrocainoil products!! thank you so much!!

I've used tea tree and neem last night with great results. Funny thing... It was very moisturizing too. Win win? It might be too good to be true LoL I also have summer sunshine, but I've not used it yet. I'll report back :)

Cherriezzzzz
June 30th, 2017, 03:30 PM

I'm working up to wo! Eeeee! :disco::toast::wigtongue:guns:

terebinth
June 30th, 2017, 04:02 PM
I've used tea tree and neem last night with great results. Funny thing... It was very moisturizing too. Win win? It might be too good to be true LoL I also have summer sunshine, but I've not used it yet. I'll report back :)

Thanks so much!!

Cherriezzzzz
July 1st, 2017, 05:46 AM
Washed with summer sunshine... I loooooove the scent. It lathers really well considering I had a heavy coconut balm oiling last night. I'd def put it on the list to sample for oily hair. It smells much better then tea tree and neem for sure. But summer sunshine might be stronger bc the lathering was as good as neem even the first wash w all that oil in my hair. I'd say ss is the strongest, stronger then neem :)

terebinth
July 1st, 2017, 06:38 AM
Washed with summer sunshine... I loooooove the scent. It lathers really well considering I had a heavy coconut balm oiling last night. I'd def put it on the list to sample for oily hair. It smells much better then tea tree and neem for sure. But summer sunshine might be stronger bc the lathering was as good as neem even the first wash w all that oil in my hair. I'd say ss is the strongest, stronger then neem :)

Nice! I actually love the scent of tea tree (and I have so many different tea tree products, including just straight-up tea tree oil LOL) but I wanted to try that too. I'm supposed to be getting my CV package today and I'll wash with the Nettle tomorrow and let you know how that one is if you're interested in samples too!! :heartbeat :heartbeat

lapushka
July 1st, 2017, 07:50 AM
I still use a sulfate shampoo, because to me it combats the oil (and the SD aka seborrheic dermatitis) the best.

YMMV.

If you are going to experiment, try one thing at a time, and use it for a while until you can make up your mind, then change it out for something else should it not work, and again - go from there.

terebinth
July 1st, 2017, 08:49 AM
I still use a sulfate shampoo, because to me it combats the oil (and the SD aka seborrheic dermatitis) the best.

YMMV.

If you are going to experiment, try one thing at a time, and use it for a while until you can make up your mind, then change it out for something else should it not work, and again - go from there.

Yeah!! Thank you so much!! You're helping me so much on so many different threads lol! I have so many things to try, it's hard not to be excited.... :D

Cherriezzzzz
July 1st, 2017, 10:27 AM

YMMV.

Have you ever used castile soap?

Cherriezzzzz
July 1st, 2017, 11:08 AM
I've read that prairieland shampoo bars are stronger then chagrin valley so they may be more effective at oil removal. Although if you need to go the sls route but want a shampoo bar still Lush has wonderful ones!

renia22
July 1st, 2017, 03:53 PM
Nice! I actually love the scent of tea tree (and I have so many different tea tree products, including just straight-up tea tree oil LOL) but I wanted to try that too. I'm supposed to be getting my CV package today and I'll wash with the Nettle tomorrow and let you know how that one is if you're interested in samples too!! :heartbeat :heartbeat

You might like the Paul Mitchell Tea Tree shampoo and conditioner, then. Sally's makes a generic of them too, which I haven't tried, but the Paul Mitchell I have and like.

terebinth
July 1st, 2017, 04:28 PM
You might like the Paul Mitchell Tea Tree shampoo and conditioner, then. Sally's makes a generic of them too, which I haven't tried, but the Paul Mitchell I have and like.

I want to try that! It's on my list of to-be-experimented-with if I don't like my current products after a while. Thank you!!

lapushka
July 1st, 2017, 04:53 PM
Yeah!! Thank you so much!! You're helping me so much on so many different threads lol! I have so many things to try, it's hard not to be excited.... :D

Hey, that's what we're here for. If we can't help the newbies, then what use are we. ;) I was new here once and was grateful for all the advice on every thread I read as well.

Have you ever used castile soap?

Just regular Sunlight soap, I did try and use. Soaps are just too alkaline for me.

lapushka
July 1st, 2017, 04:54 PM
I've read that prairieland shampoo bars are stronger then chagrin valley so they may be more effective at oil removal. Although if you need to go the sls route but want a shampoo bar still Lush has wonderful ones!

Lush has not just sulfates but TONS of sulfates though. If you have to choose between Lush and a regular sulfate shampoo, pick the regular sulfate shampoo.

terebinth
July 1st, 2017, 05:53 PM
Hey, that's what we're here for. If we can't help the newbies, then what use are we. ;) I was new here once and was grateful for all the advice on every thread I read as well.

Just regular Sunlight soap, I did try and use. Soaps are just too alkaline for me.

It really means a lot!! It's so, so much to take in and it seems like there's so much that I need to be doing for my hair right now, so it really helps to have people that can tell me to chill my roll and not do too much at once, lmao!! Hopefully I'll be able to help others soon too!! :heartbeat :heartbeat

Natashap
July 2nd, 2017, 12:18 AM
Dove's men care shampoo fresh care is good for greasy hair,also head and shoulders is good.
I love both.
Oily hair is a challenge as its difficult to please.

Salicylic acid products can help that help zits on face .

terebinth
July 2nd, 2017, 07:06 AM
Dove's men care shampoo fresh care is good for greasy hair,also head and shoulders is good.
I love both.
Oily hair is a challenge as its difficult to please.

Salicylic acid products can help that help zits on face .

Thank you!!! :heartbeat :heartbeat

Coucouvaya
July 5th, 2017, 09:44 AM
Thanks for the thread!

Same problem as well. I always read how washing your hair everyday isn't good but it is impossible for me to stretch the washes for more than 2 days (and for these 2 days I look awful and I am no good with hairstyling).

I hope all the suggestions here will bring my quest to an end!