PDA

View Full Version : Damaged hair?

Anon1234
June 29th, 2017, 07:28 PM
https://imgur.com/a/5IsukI've noticed my hair has been looking really damaged lately. I have these split-ends/flyaway hairs all the way up my hair, and it looks really bad. My hair has never looked like this before so I'm not sure what is causing it to be this way. I rarely ever use heat on it and I don't dye it. The only thing I can think of is I moved to a new city this past year and the water isn't that great. I plan to get a haircut very soon, but I am embarrassed on how my hair looks and I don't want to have to cut it all off. I was wondering why my hair looks like this and how can I fix it?

Anon1234
June 29th, 2017, 07:30 PM
https://imgur.com/a/5Isuk

This is what it looks like :(

terebinth
June 29th, 2017, 07:36 PM

hey!! maybe try using some light oil on the ends! I've seen that coconut oil, sweet almond oil, avocado oil, and even olive oil can help smooth and repair damaged ends! I read about a process today called "damp bunning" where you basically lightly coat your ends (from the ears down) in an oil and put it up in a bun so that the oil can really work through your hair. however, I haven't tested this myself, so I can't really say how well it would work, but I'd start with that!!

~terra :heartbeat :heartbeat

Sarahlabyrinth
June 29th, 2017, 09:34 PM
I can't see your photos. Are you sure they are damaged hairs or are they just new hairs growing out to replace old hairs?

Giving up using heat tools will go a long way to giving you healthy hair, and always treating your hair gently and protecting it as best you can from acquiring damage. :)

Nique1202
June 30th, 2017, 04:57 AM

Especially given that it starts so high up, it really does just look like new growth to me. You know how you shed so many hairs every day? Well, every day, that many new hairs start growing back, too. So you will always have hairs at every length between your scalp and your hemline, and they will tend to stick out more if your hair is worn straight, though they hide in waves to some degree. They aren't necessarily a sign of damage. Yours don't seem to get any more concentrated near your ends, they're pretty even throughout, so it just looks like a normal progression of hair growth.

Ophidian
June 30th, 2017, 01:55 PM
Especially given that it starts so high up, it really does just look like new growth to me. You know how you shed so many hairs every day? Well, every day, that many new hairs start growing back, too. So you will always have hairs at every length between your scalp and your hemline, and they will tend to stick out more if your hair is worn straight, though they hide in waves to some degree. They aren't necessarily a sign of damage. Yours don't seem to get any more concentrated near your ends, they're pretty even throughout, so it just looks like a normal progression of hair growth.

Anon, a good way to tell new growth from broken hairs is to look closely at the tips of individual strands. If they are pointy on the ends that's usually new growth while broken hairs are blunt. If nothing has changed in your routine except for the hard water, you could try clarifying your hair (maybe with a chelating shampoo) and following it up with a deep conditioning treatment like an SMT (there's a whole thread on that here--it's basically a diy recipe involving conditioner, honey, and aloe). If that helps you could incorporate it regularly to deal with hard water build up.

lithostoic
June 30th, 2017, 01:59 PM
Looks like old damage (and dryness) mixed with new growth. Get a deep conditioner and utilize braids and buns to protect the hair from becoming more damaged. It'll all get trimmed off eventually! I'm sure you'll see improvement right away with deep conditioner.

lapushka
June 30th, 2017, 03:53 PM
Those don't look like damage to me. Like Nique already explained, your hair is never all one-length. Hair sheds out daily, and that means you have hairs in various cycles of growth on your head, hence the shorter bits - everybody on earth will always have those. Of course they don't stand out as much on shorter hair, because well: shorter. But longer hair? Yes definitely.

Also take a look at the wispy hair thread:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=131555

It's not quite the same, because those are the *real* shorter hairs at the nape and such.

I do sincerely doubt it is damage. :)

spidermom
June 30th, 2017, 07:00 PM

This is exactly what I was going to tell you. I have been styling my hair, then rubbing a small amount of aloe vera gel (the clear kind) between palms, then sliding my palms down my hair to minimize the appearance of individual hairs flicking up. It helps.