PDA

View Full Version : Do you like to experiment or keep things as they are?

Andthetalltrees
June 29th, 2017, 12:04 PM
I use to always change up my hair products, Not because I really liked to but because I found they made no difference, And I never really found a routine that worked either. Until a bit over a month ago, I'm at a very comfortable spot where I wash it every other day, I use the same WCC-leave-in routine and the same products(Suave rosemary mint or Garnier green apple shampoos, Rinse out conditioners are Aussie moist and Triple nutrition for very dry hair, and Shea moisture coconut curl milk for the leave in). my hair actually is very agreeable now, Moisturized, I get no tangles, my scalp is elated. On one hand I'm so excited that I found somethings that make my hair enjoyable and that I always know how it's going to turn out. But I also get this feeling of "what if I change something and it's better" which is a bit redundant since I know I have tried a lot of things. I'll probably just continue on until any issue arrive because it is working so great.

So I don't know, What do you do?

Aredhel
June 29th, 2017, 12:44 PM
Not too long ago, I managed to find the simplest routine with the least amount of steps/products possible that yielded desired results for me, and I've been sticking to it since. IMHO, no need to try to change what already works well. Until/unless my situation and/or hair changes and that routine no longer works, I doubt I'll be trying anything new anytime soon.:)

Chromis
June 29th, 2017, 01:01 PM
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

DarklingAndy
June 29th, 2017, 01:01 PM
I don't like to experiment too much…once I find something that works for my hair I'm afraid of messing it up. But every once in a while something stops working and I gotta switch things up to keep my hair happy.

Nique1202
June 29th, 2017, 01:05 PM
I've spent plenty of time experimenting. So long as my hair looks and feels the way I want it to, and none of my products are discontinued, I don't experiment anymore at all. If I tried something new, I might get a slight improvement in the condition of my hair, but I might also waste time and effort on something that makes my hair feel awful. I'm really happy with my hair as it is, I get almost no split ends and it does everything I want it to do (except stay tidy in braids). Why fix what isn't broken?

Groovy Granny
June 29th, 2017, 01:12 PM
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

I always say that and was just about to when I read your post :rollin:

When you first join it seems you have so many things to try ...and do to your hair!

Instead.... just address 1 issue at a time (IF there truly is one).... and keep it simple in the long run :thumbsup:

Basic TLC goes a long way to keeping your hair happy and looking great :cheer:

Ophidian
June 29th, 2017, 01:21 PM
I like experimenting. It keeps me entertained while my hair grows through awkward stages. I have a baseline that I know works for me, so my experiments stick to this basic formula (lots of humectants, gentle cleansing methods but frequent washes, low-protein, etc). I don't disagree at all with if it ain't broke don't fix it, but if you actually have fun experimenting and do it somewhat methodically so you can understand your results, why not?

Larki
June 29th, 2017, 01:35 PM
I always experiment with new products - I've only ever had one product affect my hair negatively, and I used that one up as quickly as possible and now avoid that brand. Every time I finish a bottle of shampoo, conditioner, DC of leave-in, I switch to something else. 😊 It keeps me looking forward to washing my hair and using leave-ins and masks and deep conditioners. I do have products that I buy multiples of and come back to, but I love switching up my products. It keeps things interesting and exciting - like right now I can't wait to wash my hair tomorrow and use my new shampoo bar. 😁

Chromis
June 29th, 2017, 02:00 PM
I always say that and was just about to when I read your post :rollin:

When you first join it seems you have so many things to try ...and do to your hair!

Instead.... just address 1 issue at a time (IF there truly is one).... and keep it simple in the long run :thumbsup:

Basic TLC goes a long way to keeping your hair happy and looking great :cheer:

Yep! When I first joined I tried lots of things. Eventually I found a routine that works well, so now I stick to that.

Ondine11
June 29th, 2017, 02:02 PM
Thing with me & hair experimenting, is that I tended to monkey with my hair when I was feeling frustrated & unhappy in some way. I'd make some radical change, it would distract me from what was annoying me, & I'd enjoy it for a week or so. Then, the reality of my impulsive choice (a short haircut, bunches of layers, or a colour change) would hit me in the face, & I'd be scrambling to undo it (usually involving more chemical processing, or, scissors).

As for experimenting with shampoos, etc. I have found what works for me, so, I'm taking a 'don't fix it' approach. I am incorporating new hair care strategies I learn here on LHC, but, the goal is not to experiment, but, to take better care of my hair. My experimental days are OVER!

*edited due to a typo*

Dark40
June 29th, 2017, 02:22 PM
I love experimenting with different hair products! I always like to experiment to find out what works best for my hair.

meteor
June 29th, 2017, 02:23 PM
I do like to experiment with new products, but only as long as they are clearly in the S&C or leave-ins or oils/butters category. It just keeps me from getting bored with my hair and helps me avoid build-up and see how my hair looks/feels on different products. It also helps me avoid issues if some products are discontinued.

I no longer experiment herbs or anything not directly created for hair, just because fixing mistakes, specifically washing out anything even remotely gritty/dusty/chunky/fiber-y/smelly, at current length might be too much work.
I think it was Igor who said that she doesn't put anything in hair that can't be washed out with a CO-wash, and I'm kind of in that camp now.

I no longer experiment with colors either, because that would be too much work and mess and damage at current length, even without any potential maintenance and color correction involved.

I don't experiment with texture either. I might braid and/or bun hair for a specific look, but I don't really like to play with my texture even with just temporary damp-setting.

Vivalagina
June 29th, 2017, 02:28 PM
I know the handful of ingredients my hair really likes so I'll rotate different products but they all have those ingredients.

lapushka
June 29th, 2017, 02:30 PM
When I first came to LHC, I experimented loads! With color (and henna), and perms and heat, and products and methods. I was a shortie for quite a while, due to all of that.

If you want to experiment, do it slowly and one thing at a time. I am on the WCC method too and the only thing I do is change up my products. I do "test" my stylers though, in the palm of my hand, the leave-in or curl cream + gel mixture. If it curdles, that means it is going to flake in my hair! It needs to be a smooth, homogenous mixture.

I once got flakes in my hair big time from mixing the Every Strand curl cream with gel. It wasn't the gel, it was the cream. The Every Strand does not mix well with anything, so it's one of my stand-alone products now.

You live, you learn. :shrug:

If you do want to experiment, change out one product at a time!

Anje
June 29th, 2017, 03:26 PM
I'm an experimenter by nature, but I tend to come back to a few things that have worked consistently for me. I'm frequently guilty of wanting things to work that ultimately aren't as good as what I was doing.

Rebeccalaurenxx
June 29th, 2017, 04:54 PM
Experimenting ended up causing me a lot more damage than I realized or hoped for or thought product could do. It hindered my growth. When you use a bunch of products that end up not working out, especially not like whatever solid routine you have, it can end up doing more harm than good.
I've been experimenting so long, it hurts my wallet too. The second I found a routine that worked, i said to myself I would NOT be experimenting anymore. What's the point? Other than entertaining yourself. It's a bit of a waste of time, money, and you may end up harming your hair in the long run. I do however think it's fine to use different products made from the same type of ingredients.

embee
June 29th, 2017, 05:25 PM
When I first joined there were things discussed here that I'd never considered. Tried a few things, but had a $$ difficulty, so not much. I do not enjoy washing my hair - just find that to be tiresome. In winter it was downright painful: cold wet hair, drip drip drip. :( The simplest routine is best for me - and seems to be working for the last several years. Sticking with it. Very little experimenting going on... mainly play with new updo styles if I can find good written (not video) directions with some still pictures.

Kat
June 30th, 2017, 04:51 AM
Not too long ago, I managed to find the simplest routine with the least amount of steps/products possible that yielded desired results for me, and I've been sticking to it since. IMHO, no need to try to change what already works well. Until/unless my situation and/or hair changes and that routine no longer works, I doubt I'll be trying anything new anytime soon.:)

Yes, me too! Especially when experimenting might require buying more stuff... which at best probably will give the same result so why bother, or at worst I won't like and will have to either waste or use up (or have sitting around, if it's a tool or accessory rather than product). (I also gave up on anything in my routine that wasn't doing harm but wasn't really doing much good either, no matter how great other people say it is or how much I think it "should" be good for me. I am way too lazy to do anything more than I absolutely have to...)

(I keep having to resist the urge to buy new brushes/combs... there's nothing wrong with what I currently use, and I doubt that, say, a Tangle Teezer would do much better!)

I've BTDT with the experimenting (you enablers, lol), but I'm over it. I am so long-done with spending extra time or money on my hair now that I know what works and have access to those things-- the only time I experiment now is if a product changes/becomes unavailable, or something isn't working.

school of fish
June 30th, 2017, 05:40 AM
Like many others who have answered here, I have a baseline that I know works for me and for the most part I stick with it. I may tweak it a bit - for example I recently started S&C daily instead of alternating one day S&C with one day WO or CO - but that is I feel more of an adjustment of an established routine rather than wild experimentation :)

And as others have said, I also don't run multiple experiments at a time. I go one by one, so I can more easily weed out successes from failures, and I always have my proven baseline to fall back on if something does awry.

Because I wash daily (necessary for me) that probably helps boredom from setting in too badly. I imagine that if I was a weekly or longer washer I might bore more easily and be tempted to monkey around it - just a guess though, I won't be experimenting to see :p

Nymphe
June 30th, 2017, 07:22 AM
I experiment and I will always experiment because

1. I have allergies and sensitivities, therefore, I want to know what items or combination of ingredients will not give me an reaction.

2. Learning what does what on my hair to give me the optimum benefit. Being a natural type 4, finding ingredients and products that actually work for the unique issues my hair has is work.

3. I like having options. I went natural at a time when there were little-to-no products for my hair. I know what a pain in the butt it is to use off the shelf products and try to force them to function on my head. I have dealt with the annoyance of discontinued products dozens of times.

4. I enjoy it. Experimenting with different ingredients and commercial items keeps me going. Whenever I stop, I get bored and buzz my hair off.

5. Inspiring others, especially other naturals on a budget. Buying a gallon of cold-pressed castor oil may take a bite out the wallet, but the stuff never expires and will last for years. Grabbing an aloe leaf from a local or international market and freezing what you do not need ATM is far better than the bottled stuff.

Dendra
June 30th, 2017, 07:41 AM
I feel pretty boring with my routine, I don't change it up much and do wonder if there's something I could be doing to make my hair more amazing, like an SMT. I haven't tried that yet.

Products wise, I have been using the same stuff for at least six months. I'm going to try sulphate-free to see if it makes my scalp less itchy, but if there was no issue I probably wouldn't.

Siveda
June 30th, 2017, 12:06 PM
Some things I keep using forever, but I also love experimenting. My hair is never in the shape I would actually want it to be, so there's always more room for improvement. I've come to realize that taking care of my hair has become a hobby, maybe even a passion (that sounds weird for hair) or whatever you'd like to call it, but that's why I love trying new stuff out. It feels like I'm pampering myself, taking good care of myself in that way, both mentally and physically if I let myself.

Groovy Granny
June 30th, 2017, 12:15 PM
Yep! When I first joined I tried lots of things. Eventually I found a routine that works well, so now I stick to that.

:agree: :hifive:

To think back in the day (a LONG time ago lol)....you had basic hair and body care products.

Now you just about need a degree to buy toothpaste....never mind hair stuff :doh:

While some variants are great....it is overkill....and sometimes deceptive advertising.
All generated by fads to achieve that 'perfect L'oreal' look....that is photo shopped most of the time :lol:

But I digress :flower:

Dendra
June 30th, 2017, 01:10 PM

To think back in the day (a LONG time ago lol)....you had basic hair and body care products.

Now you just about need a degree to buy toothpaste....never mind hair stuff :doh:

While some variants are great....it is overkill....and sometimes deceptive advertising.
All generated by fads to achieve that 'perfect L'oreal' look....that is photo shopped most of the time :lol:

This makes me feel much better about sticking with the basics :)

Aredhel
June 30th, 2017, 01:19 PM
This makes me feel much better about sticking with the basics :)

Same here! With my hair type anyway, less is more.:)

Groovy Granny
June 30th, 2017, 01:46 PM
Same here! With my hair type anyway, less is more.:)

Yes, definitely :thumbsup: me too!

Ophidian
June 30th, 2017, 06:39 PM
My own personal inclination towards experimenting aside, I actually think that having more options to choose from today and/or going off the beaten path and creating your own diy solutions has a very positive side. Of course there's that element of "hey look you need this new thing and that new thing and new things will solve all your problems" within the beauty industry, but I think that the growth of brands that recognize a diversity of haircare needs and desired aesthetics is a welcome change. And while making shampoo out of leaves and twigs may not be everyone's thing (like it is mine ;)), I think that the diy movement in its various forms can be a really empowering way to practice self-care for those who don't have success with conventional products or have other reasons for not wanting to rely on them.

Of course once you find the things that work for you as an individual it is certainly important to evaluate the benefits of continued experimenting, but looking at the bigger picture I think there are some important reasons why a variety of options both within and outside of the hair-care mainstream exist today.

vega
June 30th, 2017, 06:43 PM
I'm at a point were I'm happy with my routine ,though enjoyed experimenting I'm glad I don't feel need to coz its expensive keeping buying new products Etc,now I just buy as required

truepeacenik
July 1st, 2017, 11:58 AM
My experimenting is limited to treatments.
I'm sticking with a shampoo and conditioner that are proven.
I do clarify, but I'm not as picky about that shampoo.
Since I moved out and left the partner with my only coney item, I'll probably look for a small bottle of something coney if I think it helpful at any point.
The drug store has travel size Pantene and garnier. So I'm calm, knowing the option is a short walk away.

Andthetalltrees
July 2nd, 2017, 02:17 PM

I was just thinking about this actually, In some ways there's almost TOO many choices and they're always trying to sell something new as something you can't live without. I've convinced myself it's not a bad thing at all if I just stick to a few things constantly

meteor
July 2nd, 2017, 03:19 PM
The point of expense was brought up a few times, so I just wanted to mention that experimenting doesn't have to be expensive, as long as I make it a point to always use what I get and not to buy anything more expensive than X amount. Diluting products helps too.
It's just that when there is a certain new development or innovation in hair care, usually it spills over pretty quickly into more mainstream, affordable products regardless, simply because either the item is not protected (e.g. adding natural argan oil) or the research is done by one of the huge "umbrella" companies like L'Oreal or PG anyway (and they share the same R&D across a wide range of brands - some more expensive, some less, e.g. the "sol gel" "thickening" technology that was used in both Kerastase and Garnier Fructis products, for example). I find I have the same expenses whether I experiment/rotate or keep buying the same products, as long as I use them up. :)

Coucouvaya
July 5th, 2017, 09:33 AM
I am always searching pinterest on new hair care experiments and new looks and while I am up to try a new hair mask, I never find the courage to change my haircolor even though I would love to have lighter hair... So when I get too bored I end up cutting my hair T.T BUT no more! My new experiment is to let my hair grow as far as possible and in the healthiest way!

theholydonut
July 5th, 2017, 09:41 AM
I am also always experimenting, which is why I never reach my goal length. I always get bored with things, and either cut it, or change the way I am wearing it. Although now I don't dye it anymore, but I still use heat tools one in a while.

peachyleshy
July 18th, 2017, 08:40 PM
I love experimenting and trying new things! I like trying different shampoos and conditioners for the unique scents and outcomes, as well as different washing methods. I like trying out things that might make my hair grow faster as well. I don't constantly try new things however. I go through phases. I think trying things breaks the monotony of waiting for hair to grow.

spidermom
July 19th, 2017, 07:11 AM
I like experimenting with styles, but as far as hair-care products go, I'm pretty basic. Right now I have curl creme, aloe vera gel, styling gel, shampoo, conditioner, cone/oil serum, and a clarifying shampoo. When I have used up the curl creme and the styling gel, I'm not going to replace them because I like the aloe vera gel better. I am not a product hoarder. I don't buy something new until what I already have is gone or almost gone.

dancedance
July 19th, 2017, 10:52 AM
A little of both, I guess. I definitely have my holy grail products, and if I don't have a holy grail of whatever kind, I'm looking for it until I find it. So I like to experiment until I hit on the holy grail and then I buy the same thing over and over again. I'm still looking for a holy grail shampoo thanks to my allergies. :(

Larki
July 19th, 2017, 11:07 AM
I love experimenting and trying new things! I like trying different shampoos and conditioners for the unique scents and outcomes, as well as different washing methods. I like trying out things that might make my hair grow faster as well. I don't constantly try new things however. I go through phases. I think trying things breaks the monotony of waiting for hair to grow.

Absolutely! I'm always super excited to try a new mask or new shampoo bar or conditioner! It does keep things interesting.

spidermom
July 19th, 2017, 04:27 PM
I like experimenting with styles, but as far as hair-care products go, I'm pretty basic. Right now I have curl creme, aloe vera gel, styling gel, shampoo, conditioner, cone/oil serum, and a clarifying shampoo. When I have used up the curl creme and the styling gel, I'm not going to replace them because I like the aloe vera gel better. I am not a product hoarder. I don't buy something new until what I already have is gone or almost gone.

Oh - plus hairspray and dry shampoo.