PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about chopping to BSL

woodswanderer
June 29th, 2017, 09:15 AM
Hey Peeps,
My hair is currently between hip and tailbone, and I'm thinking of chopping to BSL. I'm feeling kinda on the fence about the decision.

I know all about the two week rule, but I've been thinking of cutting for years honestly. I would prefer to cut gradually, but I can only cut off another 3-4 inches before I can't put it in a bun because it's kinda thick. So I feel like if I cut again, I might as well cut to BSL and then I could put in a twist up with flexis. It's necessary that I can put my hair up in some way because lice is a concern at work.

TO CUT
I think my hair looks best down but I rarely wear it that way anymore from fear of tangles. I dread wash days because it is annoying to wash and it takes 4 hours to dry. I have to redo my bun probably 4-5 times a day, which annoys me. I think if it was BSL then I could wear it down more often. DH doesn't care about my hair at all, beyond saying shorter than shoulder length might be too short. That length isn't even on the table though. I think my hair brings me more hassle than joy lately. I'm nor sure if I always want long hair to be my identity. I guess I could donate it if I found a good charity...not Locks of Love.

NOT TO CUT
I haven't had "short" (BSL) hair since highschool. Having long hair is a major part of my identity. Being overweight, my hair makes me feel prettier. If I cut it maybe I wouldn't seem unique. I might regret it. It might take many years to grow back. I'm not a fan of fairy tale ends on myself, so I'd have to grow a little and maintain, then grow a little and maintain. It would probably be a foot of hair.

Any wise thoughts for me?

marvel-lover
June 29th, 2017, 09:26 AM
Hi there! As I'm sure you will get tired of hearing, the most important thing is to make sure you feel beautiful and confident, no matter what you do with your hair. If that means chopping to BSL, go for it! If you feel your most beautiful at this length, then by all means do what you need to do to keep feeling gorgeous! I know that buns and tangles can be a hassle, and you can always grow it out later on if you miss it. In summary, it's totally your call!

Obsidian
June 29th, 2017, 09:26 AM
Maybe only take 1-2 inches at a time? That way its not such a big shock. If you do decide to cut, I've heard that pantene is good to donate too, my stylist donates every couple of years and told me they give the wigs away for free instead of charging like locks of love does.

Henrietta
June 29th, 2017, 09:50 AM
So, you have a list of reasons, which is perfect and helpful. If you can, try to categorise the reasons. Some of them might be "I'm excited for...", some might be "I'm afraid that/of..." some might be "I'm tired of..." Maybe it will help you see what's your motivation. Is it more like "I want shorter hair" or "I don't want hair this long."

woodswanderer
June 29th, 2017, 09:53 AM
Hmmm, I think the main motivation is I want my hair to be more carefree and to be able to wear it down more.

*Wednesday*
June 29th, 2017, 10:50 AM
Sure it will be more “carefree” at BSL and you won’t have long hair any longer. Be ready to deal with the after effect of this choice.

Reading what I’m reading in your reasons “not to cut” I’d have to say at this time, I would advise to leave your hair at its current length. However, I always advise to not cut beautiful long hair. You’ll be like everyone else, overweight or not.

unheardletters
June 29th, 2017, 11:05 AM
my hair is almost bsl (26") and it is thick, but I find it is too long now to do twists. BSL for me is a difficult length to wear up, but if you're wearing it down all the time then it is a good length for that. But as you mentioned you need to wear it up for work. Maybe waist length will fit your needs?
I did a big chop 2 years ago and I regret it every day. I really want my hair back to at least hip length.

draysmir
June 29th, 2017, 11:08 AM
I know you said that you may as well just cut to BSL if you're going to cut your hair, but in my opinion I would try to cut gradually. Your hair acts and looks different at each length, so you might think BSL is the length that is optimal for you, but it might up being that a longer milestone still has what you're looking for, and you wouldn't need to cut as drastically then. I would suggest to first cut back to HL, and if that's still too long for you after trying that for a week or two, then cut back to WL and so forth.

My hair is currently inbetween WL and HL, and I'm beginning to notice that it gets in the way more since it's elbow length now (I like this personally though :p), but I'm still finding it pretty manageable to wear down. I feel like my hair at BSL and my hair right on WL didn't feel that much different in terms of manageability, but I could do a lot more with my hair at waist length.

The choice is up to you, if you decide to cut it to BSL right away I'm sure it will still look lovely :) I just found my hair at BSL to be quite short for my liking, and I know many LHCers would feel the same, so if you're not sure you might be one of those people then cutting it gradually won't hurt :D

woodswanderer
June 29th, 2017, 11:26 AM
my hair is almost bsl (26") and it is thick, but I find it is too long now to do twists. BSL for me is a difficult length to wear up, but if you're wearing it down all the time then it is a good length for that. But as you mentioned you need to wear it up for work. Maybe waist length will fit your needs?
I did a big chop 2 years ago and I regret it every day. I really want my hair back to at least hip length.

Hmmm...food for thought. It would be upsetting to need to cut shorter than planned.

Cherriezzzzz
June 29th, 2017, 11:29 AM
I'd layer or color it before I ever cut such amazing hair. You are really blessed. It's easy to take for granted... I bet most ppl here wish they had your "problems." I say that with a light heart. If you like to wear your glory down, but are afraid of this or that... I say meh, wear it down anyhow? I know how you feel about being overweight and your hair making you pretty. I'm the same way. I wouldn't cut it. You don't sound like you're ready to cut in your emotions. But if you want to find out... easy. Do exactly what Obsidian said, cut 2 inches at a time. You'll find out really quickly where your comfort zone is! And I mean cut a couple, WAIT ONE WEEK, cut 2 more etc. Also you could try rounding out your hemline. It'll give you short pieces in the front and those can be fun to style and when you wear your hair down it'll have beautiful face frame.

Andthetalltrees
June 29th, 2017, 11:31 AM
I'm nearly at BSL, and for what it's worth I find this length annoying to wear down. It seems to always fly out in front of me, Doesn't stay behind or on my shoulders. when it's a bit longer say waist it seems to stay put a bit better. And for the tangles maybe try different routines or products? My hair always wanted to tangle at the ends even at shoulder length until I found Aussie moist and the WCC method with a leave in, now I get none most of the time :D

BookishRay
June 29th, 2017, 11:43 AM
I'm also at 26" with thick hair and have difficulty with most buns and end up just braiding it most of the time. My family's general hair philosophy for hair cut experimentation is "It will always grow back", but I have also learned cut less than I think I want because I can always cut off more, but I can't glue it back. I would agree with Obsidian. Maybe do it in increments.

On a side note in regards to lice, I have heard/read that rosemary and mint make for a good repellent, You could possibly use rosemary mint shampoo, or add the essential oils to your current routine.

Deborah
June 29th, 2017, 11:52 AM
It sounds to me like you really need a change towards more carefree hair. In looking at your three photos together, it looks like the center photo shows somewhat how your hair would look at BSL - quite lovely, and still nice and long.

It comes down to how attached you are to a particular length of long. I have cut off a foot or more of hair several times, and have always really enjoyed the change. It never took me shorter than BSL, but it gave me a feeling of lightness and swinginess to my hair that I enjoyed. Then it grew longer again, and I was happy all along the way too. Many on this list pine for hair they have had cut. I never have. I am a lifelong longhair. Maybe that's why a big change never phases me. It's hair. It grows back all by itself, with no effort on my part. I mention these things in an attempt to help you discern which type of outlook you possess.

You have very beautiful, very healthy looking hair, and I know that will be the case at whatever length you choose. :flower:

woodswanderer
June 29th, 2017, 12:24 PM
Well, I'm probably going to go for the cut. I guess 80% chance. At any rate, I just ordered the flexis.

I kind of gauged my emotions by whether replies to cut or not cut made me happy or sad. I was happier about the cut positive replies, so I think it confirms that I do want a cut. I just feel like my hair has been more annoy than enjoy for a while now.

Either way, I will update and post pictures if I get a cut (probably today or tomorrow). Don't worry, I won't hold anyone responsible if I get hair regret.:cool:

Deborah
June 29th, 2017, 01:09 PM
Good for you! I actually came back online to mention that a French Twist is a really pretty style that works better at BSL than at longer lengths.

I hope you enjoy your new length!

Cherriezzzzz
June 29th, 2017, 01:14 PM
That's called "confirmation bias!" Hahaha! It's a relief to know what you want. I do not think bsl is short so I pray you'll be in love with your new hair!

Groovy Granny
June 29th, 2017, 01:25 PM
At any length you would look beautiful; you and your hair are gorgeous :flowers:

But I can understand your feelings.....I also enjoy wearing my hair down, love it to cover my back, and need to put it up in the heat.

Waist is my sweet spot and just hitting Hip is my comfort limit for heaviness and it is not in the way.

I would trim it a bit at a time until it feels right to you; then you won't deal with regret from chopping too much, and it would only take a few months to regrow what is trimmed if you decide you want is a bit longer.

Good luck :cheer:

Hope you share pics :popcorn:

Dendra
June 29th, 2017, 01:36 PM
I very much agree that I would go in increments to stave off regret! You never know, a length you weren't expecting to like could be 'the one'.

What you said about possibly not feeling unique or pretty without your long hair gave me pause for thought; I think that beauty comes from feeling contented within yourself, so if you were truly happy with your new carefree length then that would shine through. You will always be unique no matter what length your hair.

woodswanderer
June 29th, 2017, 02:35 PM
Thanks for the advice and support, everyone!:flowers: I have an appointment at 6pm, so it's going down unless I chicken out.

Dark40
June 29th, 2017, 02:48 PM
Hey Peeps,
My hair is currently between hip and tailbone, and I'm thinking of chopping to BSL. I'm feeling kinda on the fence about the decision.

I know all about the two week rule, but I've been thinking of cutting for years honestly. I would prefer to cut gradually, but I can only cut off another 3-4 inches before I can't put it in a bun because it's kinda thick. So I feel like if I cut again, I might as well cut to BSL and then I could put in a twist up with flexis. It's necessary that I can put my hair up in some way because lice is a concern at work.

TO CUT
I think my hair looks best down but I rarely wear it that way anymore from fear of tangles. I dread wash days because it is annoying to wash and it takes 4 hours to dry. I have to redo my bun probably 4-5 times a day, which annoys me. I think if it was BSL then I could wear it down more often. DH doesn't care about my hair at all, beyond saying shorter than shoulder length might be too short. That length isn't even on the table though. I think my hair brings me more hassle than joy lately. I'm nor sure if I always want long hair to be my identity. I guess I could donate it if I found a good charity...not Locks of Love.

NOT TO CUT
I haven't had "short" (BSL) hair since highschool. Having long hair is a major part of my identity. Being overweight, my hair makes me feel prettier. If I cut it maybe I wouldn't seem unique. I might regret it. It might take many years to grow back. I'm not a fan of fairy tale ends on myself, so I'd have to grow a little and maintain, then grow a little and maintain. It would probably be a foot of hair.

Any wise thoughts for me?

I honestly don't think that you should chop all of your between hip to tailbone length hair off to BSL. I think with your hair being that long you still can wear it down. I used to have a girlfriend with hip length hair or BCL hair, and she wore here hair down every single day to school!!! And, it never got tangled or anything. I would see it getting pulled a lot but that was it. So, no I wouldn't cut it.

lapushka
June 29th, 2017, 03:17 PM
Good luck! I hope it turns out as you want it to.

I bet my answer is not going to matter anymore. But I had heat/perm damage and went from hip to BSL; major change. I couldn't bun any longer and had to wear a peacock twist again. It sucked, for me. I prefer to be able to bun, and I can't do that (comfortably) until I reach hip.

woodswanderer
June 29th, 2017, 03:30 PM
Lapushka, I'm actually hoping to do a peacock twist for work, so that would work for me.

Dark40, I wish I could wear my hair loose all day without tangles. If I'm inside all day I can, but forget about going loose outside or being active inside with it loose at this length...just not my hair type. Maybe if it was coarser.

Corvana
June 29th, 2017, 03:53 PM
So my best friend/ex-roommate has thiiiiiiiiiick hair like yours. Just, CRAZY THICK. She wears her hair down (it's between BSL and waist, but I'm not sure where as I haven't seen her in a bit since she's travelling) a lot, but finds it difficult to do anything more than a pony, or that kind of bun where you make a pony but on the last loop of elastic you don't pull it all the way through.

But she doesn't want her hair longer, because it tangles and gets into enough trouble as it is :laugh:. She loves it at that length, and with assistance can actually get it into other styles (she just can't braid or bun at all!). I think if you don't have any already, you should get some spin pins! They'd probably help!

Her hair does still take hours to dry, but I think that's just something you've gotta deal with when your hair is so thick anyway.

If you're dying to cut it, do so! You can grow it back if you want to.

Dark40
June 29th, 2017, 03:57 PM
Lapushka, I'm actually hoping to do a peacock twist for work, so that would work for me.

Dark40, I wish I could wear my hair loose all day without tangles. If I'm inside all day I can, but forget about going loose outside or being active inside with it loose at this length...just not my hair type. Maybe if it was coarser.

I bet you do wish that you could wear your hiar loose al day without tangles. My hair is MBL, and I wear it loose the majority of the times throughout the day around the house, and also when I am going out. I feel that if I'm going to wear my hair up all of the time. Then, "Why have long hair in the first place?"

Sarahlabyrinth
June 29th, 2017, 04:02 PM
If you are still sitting on the fence over the whole issue, then I wouldn't cut.

But if you do cut, I hope you will be happy with the results. I agree that cutting in small increments would probably be the best idea so you don't lose more than you want to.

Good luck :)

woodswanderer
June 29th, 2017, 06:27 PM
Ok, the big chop!

First, the hair pile.
http://i962.photobucket.com/albums/ae106/woodswanderer83/IMG_2010_zpssycbcksx.jpg

Then the cut! Weird evening lighting.
http://i962.photobucket.com/albums/ae106/woodswanderer83/IMG_2014_zpsjyot8vxk.jpg

Indoor lighting looks more like my real color.
http://i962.photobucket.com/albums/ae106/woodswanderer83/IMG_2015_zpsqoy0vsh4.jpg

I don't regret the cut. At least I don't right now. I'm feeling pretty good about it. I'm mostly pretty pleased. I had wanted it a tad shorter, but she cut it a bit longer and I didn't want to make her redo it because she went to a lot of trouble sectioning it and clipping it out of the way. I might go 1-2 inches shorter, but I will wait and see. I'm gonna hold off on selling any of my hair toy hoard in case I want to grow it out again.

Obsidian
June 29th, 2017, 06:37 PM
Looks great!

Sarahlabyrinth
June 29th, 2017, 06:42 PM
Looks great, and so THICK! :crush:

Dark40
June 29th, 2017, 07:12 PM
Looks great, and also thick!:happydance:

woodswanderer
June 29th, 2017, 07:43 PM
Thanks for the compliments, everyone! :blossom:

Corvana
June 29th, 2017, 08:32 PM
Oooh it looks so good!!

Deborah
June 29th, 2017, 10:35 PM
It looks wonderful! Good for you!

Groovy Granny
June 29th, 2017, 10:38 PM
Beautiful :love:

I hope you enjoy it!

lapushka
June 30th, 2017, 05:32 AM
Looks great, and maybe it's not that bad that she left it a bit long still - it might help you with styles, who knows.

Very pretty! :D

Dendra
June 30th, 2017, 05:44 AM
Your hair looks absolutely beautiful, like liquid silk and such a gorgeous auburn :)

MidnightMoon
June 30th, 2017, 05:52 AM
I have nothing helpful to say, other than I'm basically in the same boat. Our hair even looks similar in your pictures...
My main con is not wanting to look like everybody else. I like knowing I have something special, something that can make me look like the ladies of yore I admire in pictures, but at the same time... there's so many people in this world, and nobody is really looking at my updos or caring for how long it might be.
And then I think of how much better my face looks with my hair loose, how I could dye it blue-black again, straighten or curl it, and have a more "put together" look, not the "fur drape on my back" look.
sigh...
Sorry for not helping, just sharing some thoughts :/

ps. just saw the cut pics :p
congrats on taking a decision hehe
it looks lovely

woodswanderer
June 30th, 2017, 06:54 AM
Thanks for the support everyone; it's really great. I love that this community doesn't think less of you for making a change and cutting some hair. :crush:

I gotta say, I am nervous about revealing my new do to friends and family. I'm sure a couple people will say I shouldn't have cut, but I'm afraid some people will be saying it finally looks good and long hair didn't suit me, etc. I hope I don't get too many left handed compliments. :couch: Either way, I'll try to just let it roll off me.

MidnightMoon, I also feel like the muggles don't appreciate a good bun. They really should; it takes skill.

Dendra
June 30th, 2017, 07:02 AM
Maybe it's just the camera angle, but your hair doesn't look drastically shorter than it was in your signature. It still looks lovely and long! So maybe their reactions won't be as strong as you think.

Also, it might be a nice change for them to see your hair down (presuming you wear it that way) so they may be more distracted by that, and if you always used to wear it up they might not have even realised how long it was before.

wo
June 30th, 2017, 07:04 AM
It looks so beautiful! And still long enough for many styles.

vpatt
June 30th, 2017, 07:40 AM
I love your hair! I hope you enjoy your cut.

Ligeia Noire
June 30th, 2017, 10:09 AM
Looks awesome. Not a drastic change at all. You have great hair, blessed be. And let me take a moment to comment on a hairdresser that should have cut more than what she did. Ah ah ah rare bird.

woodswanderer
June 30th, 2017, 10:30 AM
Looks awesome. Not a drastic change at all. You have great hair, blessed be. And let me take a moment to comment on a hairdresser that should have cut more than what she did. Ah ah ah rare bird.

Haha, yeah. I wish she would have cut to the length I showed. I may go to another place and get it it trimmed to where I intended, because I'm too embarrassed to go right back to the same place. I'm going to wait until my flexis arrive and see what I can do before I decide to trim. No need to be in a rush about it.

*Wednesday*
June 30th, 2017, 10:49 AM
Looks great. Nice and thick. Still has length.

Groovy Granny
June 30th, 2017, 11:44 AM
Haha, yeah. I wish she would have cut to the length I showed. I may go to another place and get it it trimmed to where I intended, because I'm too embarrassed to go right back to the same place. I'm going to wait until my flexis arrive and see what I can do before I decide to trim. No need to be in a rush about it.

Is your hair too thick to trim yourself?

I won't step into a salon ever again while I have long hair, now that I can do it myself (and enjoy it) :)

Siveda
June 30th, 2017, 11:50 AM

Quote for truth!

Nice hemline, woodswanderer.

spidermom
June 30th, 2017, 07:26 PM
I loved my long hair down, except when it was cold and I had freshly washed, wet hair hanging all over me. However, I could only rarely wear it down.
It got in my way, it tangled like crazy, and it was hot. After agonizing over it for at least 2 years, I finally got the long bob (lob) that I had been thinking of (shoulder length to collarbone length). I love it. The only regrets that I have are that I had my hair cut in increments because I was afraid of regret. Now I regret that I don't have the long braid I would have had if I had gotten it cut all at once. Every time I think about growing it back out, I see a picture of me with my bun and inwardly shudder. So aging and dowdy! As far as "looking like everybody else," I think that's pretty rude. There are all kinds of hair styles to choose from, and each person can express his or her own spin on whatever hairstyle they choose. I like to go retro by curling my hair and pinning one side back with a flower. Tell me that looks like everybody else! It doesn't.

PS: I love your new cut! So thick and pretty!

BookishRay
June 30th, 2017, 08:06 PM

I was thinking the same about the hair dresser!

Your hair is beautiful and looks so healthy! It would be beautiful at whatever length you choose to have it. If you enjoy it that is all that matters! Don't feel bad about going back to the same styles and asking for more off if you liked her (him? Can't remember) and still want it ahorter. Just say you've decided you want a bit more off! We all have the right to change our minds...or go after what we really want in this case :p

woodswanderer
June 30th, 2017, 08:26 PM
Well, I'm happy to report that I wore it down pretty all day with only one tiny, baby tangle. Just enough to slow down my brush. We did some mall walking, bought groceries, ran errands, etc, so I was active enough that it was a decent test. That's a major success for me.

Thanks for the compliments, everyone. I'm going to get a big head if you keep it up.;)

GroovyGranny, haha, no I don't think so. I just lack the skills to cut my own. I tried once and it didn't go so well.

Spidermom, I like your lob. It looks like it has great volume and texture. The flower sounds fun.

abribun
June 30th, 2017, 09:39 PM
I think you should do whatever makes you happy! But maybe start with something a little less dramatic? Perhaps cutting to WL first! But if you want to go all the way to BSL then go for it. I just think it is a huge step to make and it is a lot of length to cut off. I know I'd instantly regret cutting off my hair if it was at your length, but if you know this is what you want then do it!

embee
July 1st, 2017, 05:47 AM
How lucky are you? :) A good hairdresser who did not chop your hair to earlobe length! She deserves to do your next trims, she's worth supporting. Give it a month at this length, see what you think. Your hair looks lovely... enjoy the "down". (I would go insane in this hot summer weather.)