PDA

View Full Version : Does biotin really help hair growth?

abribun
June 29th, 2017, 07:58 AM
I'm so curious about this? I am considering taking vitamins to help with my hair, skin, nails and overall health. I've heard that biotin causes bad breakouts so I'm not sure if that'll be worth it to me if it doesn't actually do much for the hair.

Has anyone tried biotin before? What kind of results did you get?

OhSuzi
June 29th, 2017, 08:50 AM
there have been previous threads on here about biotin and other things like pregnancy vitamin supplements. Some people swear by em - although there is only their verbal testament that it works. & some other people will stick a link on here to sciencey websites that tell you all the reasons that it's not a good idea & that at the very least you'll pee out all the unnecessary ingredients and will have wasted your money and at the worst cause spotty breakouts & all kinds of health problems.

In the end you gotta decide your own truth.
I'm of the opinion in the same way there's no magical quick fix to weight loss - hair growth is basically patience, healthy diet and genes.

From your pic your hair already looks lovely and shiny & is on its way to looonnng.

Dendra
June 29th, 2017, 09:15 AM
I've read that skin, hair and nails supplements only really help people who are malnourished, so if you eat a normal diet then they won't do anything for you. But I'm waiting to see what experiences other people have had.

I did actually take biotin a few years ago for something else (can't remember what) and it didn't give me spots. Sadly this was long before I gave two hoots about hair growth so I can't tell you if it had any effect there.

Obsidian
June 29th, 2017, 09:16 AM
From what research I did, it only really helps if you are lacking in biotin and most people aren't. I'd just get a good multi vitamin, should be all you need.

Henrietta
June 29th, 2017, 09:20 AM
Like with all other supplements, scalp treatments, herbal teas... it works for some people, doesn't work for others. And there is no way to check it, you just have to try and observe the results. (ETA: Or maybe, as others pointed out, it only works if you have a deficiency. If it is so, you can run tests, if you think it's worth the trouble.) I've read many extensive reviews of biotin supplements where people said their hair grew 1" or more per month, which is 200% of their normal growth rate. They had pics to prove, and a ton of baby hairs to show too. But for other people it doesn't work at all (me included).
Biotin is water soluble but is does not mean that your body will get rid of extensive amounts if it and that's it. It is possible to overdose biotin and suffer side-effects (but if you buy an OTC supplement with, let's say 5mg of biotin which is 10000% – yes, ten thousand – of the daily need, you should be fine. Those who overdosed have probably taken much more.)

marvel-lover
June 29th, 2017, 09:20 AM
I'm a huge believer in a daily multi-vitamin. It's not just about hair, it's about overall health, especially since I have such health problems. I don't usually suggest supplements unless the doctor tells you that you need them, so I wouldn't say biotin is the best thing in the world, but if you are curious about it, I'd recommend talking to your doctor.

Nique1202
June 29th, 2017, 09:21 AM
The thing about biotin is that it will only help if you're deficient. Hair isn't just made up of biotin, and taking more biotin than you need won't make hair grow any faster than it's programmed to by your genes. Most hair/skin/nail supplements have many hundreds of times more biotin than your body can process in a day, which is why they often say you should drink more water. All that the extra water is doing is flushing the extra biotin out of your system. It's wasteful, even if the supplements were cheap which most are not. And if it doesn't work and the extra biotin stays in your system, that's when you can get the cystic acne and possibly other side effects.

If you're really concerned about vitamin levels, you should talk to a doctor, and maybe take a multivitamin. They're balanced to give you most of what you should need even if you have a fairly poor diet. Or a B-complex, if you don't want the minerals and other vitamins. But, megadoses of biotin like are in most of those supplements should be avoided unless prescribed by a doctor for a specific reason.

BookishRay
June 29th, 2017, 09:24 AM
My personal experience with taking biotin was that the sebum on my scalp and face got more waxy. I would have to exfoliate more often or my skin would feel kind of coated. I never broke out but I could understand why some people do. I didn't really see any benefit so I stopped taking them.

But that is just my experience, yours may be different.

Aredhel
June 29th, 2017, 09:40 AM
The thing about biotin is that it will only help if you're deficient. Hair isn't just made up of biotin, and taking more biotin than you need won't make hair grow any faster than it's programmed to by your genes. Most hair/skin/nail supplements have many hundreds of times more biotin than your body can process in a day, which is why they often say you should drink more water. All that the extra water is doing is flushing the extra biotin out of your system. It's wasteful, even if the supplements were cheap which most are not. And if it doesn't work and the extra biotin stays in your system, that's when you can get the cystic acne and possibly other side effects.

If you're really concerned about vitamin levels, you should talk to a doctor, and maybe take a multivitamin. They're balanced to give you most of what you should need even if you have a fairly poor diet. Or a B-complex, if you don't want the minerals and other vitamins. But, megadoses of biotin like are in most of those supplements should be avoided unless prescribed by a doctor for a specific reason.
Yup, all of this exactly!!

Biotin didn't do squat for my hair... I tried it because I was coerced into it by a self-proclaimed "long hair pro", but changing my diet to a healthier one was what really helped.

Shorty89
June 29th, 2017, 09:51 AM
I find that it makes a difference to me, but like others have said YMMV. I'm admittedly a picky eater, and I find that taking a multivitamin helps me feel better. The one I currently take has biotin and, while I haven't measured any increase in head hair growth, I've noticed that my stray eyebrow hairs grow like crazy while I'm on it. :lol:

Andthetalltrees
June 29th, 2017, 10:15 AM
I take a multi vitamin because I have a hard time absorbing some vitamins from food alone, The one I take has extra biotin for 'hair and nails'. My hair grows pretty quick, But I went off the vitamins for awhile and it made no difference on it. So I think my hair just naturally grows quickly and the vitamins do nothing in that regard.

trinkets
June 29th, 2017, 10:21 AM
I don't know if biotin has helped my hair any, but it sure has helped my nails! They grow like mad and I don't get those little white spots these days. Not as weak either. They still split and peel, but not nearly as often, and mostly on thumb and index fingers, the heavily used ones. Anecdotal evidence, to be sure, but it has worked for me.

bparnell75
June 29th, 2017, 10:22 AM
I had the exact same experience with the nails. I do think my hair is a bit thicker near the scalp,but I have also been using Keratin.

Nymphe
June 29th, 2017, 10:25 AM
High doses of biotin made my growth come in thicker after six months of consistent use. It freaked me out so much, I stopped taking it, lol. I may go back to it if my hair starts to get thin.

Deborah
June 29th, 2017, 11:56 AM
Biotin made no difference in my hair at all, but it did make my nails grow stronger.

ShilvaA
June 29th, 2017, 12:10 PM
Been taking a biotin 1000mg tablet everyday for the past 2 months, might be a placebo affect but I used to grow 1.2cm a month, these last two months I have grown 1.4 and 1.5 respectively. My diet has not changed at all... Could be due to the biotin, could be due to the summertime, could be a random growth spurt, I am monitoring it haha.

I dyed my hair so that I can easily pluck a hair out to measure the growth from the root (under a loupe magnifyer against a rule at work) every month... Work mates think I am bonkers!!!

edit: Nails are growing very quickly and are rock solid! Have to trim them every week now!

Rowdy
June 29th, 2017, 12:14 PM
I tried a HSN vitamin once and it gave me very painful cystic acne within about 48 hours. After that I found out I am just very sensitive to biotin, I can't take any supplement that has any biotin in it or I break out badly and I have to be careful to avoid too much biotin rich foods as well.

Anje
June 29th, 2017, 12:30 PM
It does for some people, but I've heard stories of kidney problems coming from people who overdid it for a long time. So if you're going to experiment, don't go for the highest dose you can get or anything like that. Just because it's water soluble doesn't mean you can simply take indiscriminate amounts without worries of overdose.

For me, the acne I got when I tried it even at fairly low doses was a complete dealbreaker. I didn't stick to it long enough to see whether it made a difference in growth. My hair grows at a decent rate anyway, but it can be rather variable, so I'd have to monitor over a long period to tell you if it even sped growth consistently.

TheBoldLife
June 29th, 2017, 12:33 PM
You just need to find what's best for you. I was lacking in Vitamin D so when I started taking 2,000 IU a day for my seasonal depression, it really helped with my hair growth as well. Try things out and see what works best for your body and diet.

Ondine11
June 29th, 2017, 12:57 PM
I've been taking the Nature's Bounty 'hair, skin,nails' supplement for over a year, now, & the difference it made for me was striking. Granted, I'm a picky eater, & I was likely missing out on certain nutrients, but, after about a month of Biotin, my severe shedding screeched to a halt. Over time. I noticed a ton of new hair growing in over my patchy, thinned out regions. Right now, I have a full head of hair, with no bald, thin areas. There's a whole bunch of hairs, all about 4" long, all over my head, interspersed with my APL hair. Although I cannot prove that the Biotin did it, the change coincided with my consistent use of the supplement. As for breakouts, I noticed that my skin is slightly oilier, but, nothing a blotting paper doesn't take care of.

Rebeccalaurenxx
June 29th, 2017, 02:53 PM
Honestly don't notice a change with my hair, it seems to grow and stall all the same. But my nails look and behave a lot better so I assume they're doing something for me. I take 2/3 of the "required" dose. So instead of 3 pills I just take two. I was taking 1 and didn't see a noticeable difference so I upped it to two and now I see benefits. And I'm a healthy eater, I am a weight lifter so I have to eat a lot of food and heathy good food usually. And my body requires a lot more due to my physical activity so it works for me.

Coucouvaya
July 5th, 2017, 10:09 AM
Didn't know about biotin! I have only tried C vitamin and I can't say I saw any difference. I was thinking taking multi-vitamin supplements, perhaps I should put in the list of experiments biotin as well.

Larki
July 5th, 2017, 01:40 PM
I take Nature's Bounty hair, skin and nails and there is a very small increase in growth over before I took vitamins. Every little bit counts!! But no, it's not drastic and probably wouldn't be noticed if I didn't measure my hair between trims. No issues whatsoever with skin, if anything it may have helped but I haven't had bad acne in about three years. I tend to get one pimple at a time.

saff.cel
July 10th, 2017, 01:54 PM
Honestly, biotin deficiency is VERY RARE, and it's water soluble to a point, so taking a supplement is just more work for your kidneys, and it flushes out with your urine. I would say that it's more important to focus on Omega-3s, folic acid, and vitamin D than biotin, it's a total red herring.

diddiedaisy
July 10th, 2017, 02:55 PM
I find biotin stops my excess shedding. Actually I've just started taking it again to put the brakes on this latest shed, it has never made it grow faster though.

I also have digestion problems so I've often got deficiency issues. It's never given me spots neither. I think you need to take a multi b vitimin to help with that side of things.