PDA

View Full Version : Well, time to grow out the bangs.

Rebeccalaurenxx
June 29th, 2017, 12:24 AM
I've had them for a long long time. But I've reach a point now where keeping them is uncomfortable. I go to the gym 3 days a week (unless I end up with an injury) and I live in California, so I sweat very heavily. So I want to grow them out.

However the last time I tried to grow them out, I got about half way down my face before I got irritated and trimmed them back in. It felt like it took forever to hardly get anywhere. Is there a better way of doing this? I tried hairspray today and it worked for about 30 mins before my bangs separated from the rest of my hair and got gross. I would pin them but it would look a little ridiculous to me. I'm not sure what else to do. Ideas? I need 7 inches on them before they'll look long enough to blend in with the rest of my length, which I'll need a year to get. Help me. 😭

akurah
June 29th, 2017, 12:45 AM
I used these:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003USJVF4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_dp_T2_thkvzbKQ0RWPA

Lily_white
June 29th, 2017, 01:14 AM
Hi, I know the feeling.
I decided a while ago to grow out the bangs I have had for the last twenty years. Right now they are about halfway down my face which with my wavepattern means they stick straight out the side of my head, it looks ridiculous.

Some days I try to incorporate them into some kind of crownbraid, but the shortest pieces tend to escape after a while. Most days I put on a headband or a scarf to try to hide the whole mess.

Good luck with the growing.

Corvana
June 29th, 2017, 01:34 AM
This is the only pic I could find of how I dealt with my bangs when I had them. This is where they sat when they got too long, or too blech before wash day (and I never thought to just wash them??). But I liked the look when I twisted them back, and even now I replicate it sometimes! It also had the benefit of looking like I spent actual time on my hair, when really it took like a whole second and a half to do :laugh:

https://scontent-dft4-2.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/398196_4606776928031_862963608_n.jpg?oh=bcb1a49758 2399d57565fc28201f27b5&oe=5A0EA314

restless
June 29th, 2017, 02:19 AM
Yeah, growing out bangs takes forever. Trust me, I know... :neutral: If you dont like just pinning them back, how about accent braids? They helped me a lot the last time I cut bangs (and regretted them immediately).

Dendra
June 29th, 2017, 03:38 AM
This is the only pic I could find of how I dealt with my bangs when I had them. This is where they sat when they got too long, or too blech before wash day (and I never thought to just wash them??). But I liked the look when I twisted them back, and even now I replicate it sometimes! It also had the benefit of looking like I spent actual time on my hair, when really it took like a whole second and a half to do :laugh:

https://scontent-dft4-2.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/398196_4606776928031_862963608_n.jpg?oh=bcb1a49758 2399d57565fc28201f27b5&oe=5A0EA314

That looks really pretty Corvana!

I'm growing my bangs out too, when stretched they reach my cheekbone. Somehow it's not bothering me too much, I wear a headband at the gym, and around the house if they're getting on my nerves. If I force them backwards they sort of stay back and mesh with my up do.

Last time I grew them out I used clips all the time, which I may do again but will have to hunt out some non-damaging ones this time.

Aredhel
June 29th, 2017, 05:21 AM
Yeah pinning them back really helps. I went through a small period of braiding them back too (like a crown braid type of braid, but just on the front of the head with the rest of my hair loose?).

Dendra
June 29th, 2017, 07:56 AM
Yeah pinning them back really helps. I went through a small period of braiding them back too (like a crown braid type of braid, but just on the front of the head with the rest of my hair loose?).

Braiding them is a really cute idea, I will be doing that this time round! Looks a little more polished and pretty than a head full of clips.

draysmir
June 29th, 2017, 11:39 AM
I have cut and grown out my bangs a few times in my life, and I am in the process right now again (yay me lol), currently inbetween nose and mouth length I think. The first couple months I just used hair clips and twisted my bangs back, I'm sure you've seen that before. Sometimes I part my bangs in the middle and twist them back, it keeps the bangs in place better if they're shorter. If you're not okay at it already, a big thing that helps me keep my bangs out of my face is braiding. Once my bangs were about nose length stretched, I have been able to do SO many more things to keep them out of my face.

My go to was always French braiding my bangs off to a side, and using a little claw clip to secure it. I could do this pretty much right after I cut my bangs if my bangs were oily enough that day to stay in place. Incorporating some non-bang hair into the French braid helps keep it together better, and makes the French braid look thicker, although the longer pieces look odd if you wear your hair down, so that might not be an option for you.

Another thing I sometimes do is part my bangs in the middle, and French braid both sections on an angle and use a claw clip to secure them. I think this option looks quite nice when the rest of your hair is down. You probably won't be able to easily do this until your bangs are 1-2 inches longer than what you're starting with, at least that is what I have found.

My bangs are beginning to get at the length where I can actually incorporate them into some updo's I do. On oily days, I can incorporate my bangs into a French braid now and they won't fall out, although I know you've mentioned that your scalp is sensitive so I'm not sure if wearing a French braid would be comfortable for you. If I'm putting my hair in a bun or something, then I can French braid my bangs back (making a section of hair from the temples to the top back of my head) and continue the braid until I have no hair, then just add it into the hair I use for my bun/ponytail.

Ever since cutting my bangs, I hardly ever wear them down, there are definitely easy and manageable ways to keep your bangs out of your way. If you like to wear your bangs down a lot, I find pinning my bangs back when they're 2/3 dry in a certain way can make them dry so they don't flick and flop in my face. So that's always another option, just coaxing them into the position/ shape you want them in so they don't constantly block your eye sight.

I'm pretty sure I have some pictures of some bang hairstyles I do, I'll add them in this post if I end up finding them. :) Sorry for the long paragraphs lol, I'm just excited to share I guess :p

Aredhel
June 29th, 2017, 11:57 AM
Braiding them is a really cute idea, I will be doing that this time round! Looks a little more polished and pretty than a head full of clips.

I agree! I found it to be a lot more comfortable than clips/pins too since clips can pull or fall out/come loose a lot easier. :) I really like accenting the braid with one or two silver beads too just to give it a bit more style.:D

Arctic
June 29th, 2017, 12:37 PM
You like rock'n'roll style don't you? How about putting them in 3 pin curls. I saw a cool lady do that, let me see if I find the photos.

ETA: I couldn't find the exact post I was thinking, but this one shows a similarly styled bangs on her. (CLICK (http://freelancersfashion.blogspot.fi/2010/05/five-minute-pinupish-tiki-inspired.html))

The one I am remembering was when she was growing out her bangs, they were thinner and shorter than in the post I linked to. It looked do cool on her, and she reminds me of you somehow. You might not be able to do these right away, but maybe at some point when your bangs gain a bit length.

Rebeccalaurenxx
June 29th, 2017, 12:48 PM

I would braid them in but pinning back and braiding in, make my large forehead and thin hair line a lot more noticeable, and my bangs are so short they pop out and they don't blend in and look good. My bangs are about eyebrow length, not really Bettie page bangs but they're pretty short right now.

Dendra
June 29th, 2017, 12:58 PM
I agree! I found it to be a lot more comfortable than clips/pins too since clips can pull or fall out/come loose a lot easier. :) I really like accenting the braid with one or two silver beads too just to give it a bit more style.:D

Well that sounds snazzy! How did you get the beads in there? And you're so right about pins pulling and falling out, braiding seems a much better option.

Draysmir, your bangs sound like they're at a good length! It's great you've found lots of ways to get them out your face.

Aredhel
June 29th, 2017, 02:49 PM
Well that sounds snazzy! How did you get the beads in there? And you're so right about pins pulling and falling out, braiding seems a much better option.

Draysmir, your bangs sound like they're at a good length! It's great you've found lots of ways to get them out your face.

I have this threading tool that I got off Amazon for like $2, I'm not sure what they're called but this is the one I got: https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00ZF065U4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_UBwvzbNBR42ZY :) I just put the whole loop through the bead first and let the bead sit on the handle, then I put the end of my braid through the loop, and slide the bead up and over both the loop and the hair. If that makes sense.:p

Rebeccalaurenxx
June 29th, 2017, 02:55 PM
You like rock'n'roll style don't you? How about putting them in 3 pin curls. I saw a cool lady do that, let me see if I find the photos.

ETA: I couldn't find the exact post I was thinking, but this one shows a similarly styled bangs on her. (CLICK (http://freelancersfashion.blogspot.fi/2010/05/five-minute-pinupish-tiki-inspired.html))

The one I am remembering was when she was growing out her bangs, they were thinner and shorter than in the post I linked to. It looked do cool on her, and she reminds me of you somehow. You might not be able to do these right away, but maybe at some point when your bangs gain a bit length.
Dang I wish I could style my hair that way. My bangs are too short so it wouldn't work. Maybe in a few months...

Cherriezzzzz
June 29th, 2017, 07:23 PM
Idk a side bang is gorgeous. I'd enjoy the different lengths as they grow! My daughter (btwn ages 3 and 6) cut her hair in the front of her head to the scalp and such lol. It was a nightmare. But I enjoyed every step of her getting and growing out these monsters. First time I was able to save her and she had bridget bardot bangs and looked super cute. Second time it was a side bang which made her look oh so pretty! Then this final time, now her bangs got much thicker so she has a chin length section of hair that she sort of ends up fluffing back over the rest of her one length waist length hair... it envelopes her beautiful face! swoon :cheer: just saying it can be really enjoyable!

Alissalocks
June 29th, 2017, 09:02 PM
OH man, I swear I'm not stalking you, RebeccaLauren but I'm also just growing mine out. It seems like we always run into each other with similar hair lengths and growth challenges. I've caved in and cut mine the past 3 times I said I was "going to grow them" going back to 6 months ago. I've already made it further than previous attempts and trying to hold strong. So annoying.

I can't wait till mine can French braid like Corvana that is pretty! Mine has a cow lick, so I'm doing a side bang for now, but it's just become this annoying thing I try to push away all day long right now. Oy! :rolleyes:

Those curls are awesome that Arctic posted as well!!!

Rebeccalaurenxx
June 30th, 2017, 02:06 AM
OH man, I swear I'm not stalking you, RebeccaLauren but I'm also just growing mine out. It seems like we always run into each other with similar hair lengths and growth challenges. I've caved in and cut mine the past 3 times I said I was "going to grow them" going back to 6 months ago. I've already made it further than previous attempts and trying to hold strong. So annoying.

I can't wait till mine can French braid like Corvana that is pretty! Mine has a cow lick, so I'm doing a side bang for now, but it's just become this annoying thing I try to push away all day long right now. Oy! :rolleyes:

Those curls are awesome that Arctic posted as well!!!

Why is it so hard to be strong!! Haha

Ireland
June 30th, 2017, 10:30 PM
Im doing the same thing! at first you think they grow so fast since you constantly have to keep going to the hair dresser to see but when you want to grow them out its like they know and decide to stop growing! I pin mine back to the side near my ear with bobby pins and then wear a head band. It hides it okay but a fringe can be awkward for awhile, goodluck!!

MoonRabbit
July 2nd, 2017, 08:49 AM
I decided to grow out my bangs in 2015. They are are around apl now but still cause so many issues. Falling out of braids, looking weird with curved hook like ends after taking down a bun. The only thing I found that helped the struggle is complete neglect and head bands. I love the bandanna headband look. I would also make my own out of lace for an 80's style. Once they reach a certain length ( I think it was around my upper lip) You can use your bangs for volume in updos.

Seems like bangs grow so fast when you want to keep them but as soon as you decide to grow them out, it takes ages..

spidermom
July 2nd, 2017, 08:56 AM
I used a lace braid or 2-strand technique to contain them while mine were growing out.