PDA

View Full Version : updo with a hang-down?

serrabellum
October 26th, 2008, 03:30 PM
so i have about 42in. (106 cm) of fairly thick, straight hair. since i am only 5ft (153cm) tall, this means my hair is mid-butt length. when it's down, i sit on it, i eat it, i get it in my drink and/or food... etc etc etc.

i keep it up about 93% of the time. it's just waaay easier to deal with that way. i can't even put it up in a ponytail or braid as it still gets in the way.

however, this means generally speaking, people have no idea how long my hair really is. i'm damn proud of it, and i want to show it off. is there some updo out there that will keep my hair out of the way and yet still show off its length?

any ideas?

CindyLea1
October 26th, 2008, 03:40 PM
Hello,

You could part your hair at the earlobes( and go up the crown, or straight across the back of your head depending on thickness) then secure it with an elastic, clip, or other such thing you have hanging around. This would keep the front part of your hair from falling in your face, and usually keeps the hanging down half behind your shoulders.

You can do a half french braid, with the front half pulled into the braid then stop pulling it in and braid that part all the way down.

A regular french braid looks nice too and you can show off the length and only have to contain just the braid. You can fold, and tuck the ends up under the braid and secure with a hair stick, put it in a bun if you are really sick of it then let it down later.

Just a few of the things I tend to do with mine.

CindyLea

longhairedfairy
October 26th, 2008, 05:24 PM
You could do a ponytail, then flip it with a topsy-tail thingy, then braid the length. That will keep it contained and still show off most of the length:)

freznow
October 26th, 2008, 05:28 PM
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=36 You can leave all/some of the hair hanging down from a sock bun, easily.

I know what you mean about the ponytail/braid getting in the way. Therefore any thing you do would probably have to shorten it, which would not show off the full length, but at the same time would be just as stunning because then you have an updo as well as the part that's hanging down.

There's this http://dreamweaverbraiding.com/braids/lhknot.htm bun/braid.

Basically, if you do a knot the tail shouldn't cause the whole thing to fall out, so try all sorts of knots to find out which one(s) you like.

Eryka
October 26th, 2008, 05:34 PM
Learn to braid darlin'. I have knee length hair and whenever I go out, this is how I do it.

Anje
October 26th, 2008, 08:32 PM
How about a Bunny tail? Basically, you twist the hair to form the first circle of a bun, then pull the length through the middle (very similar to the Dreamweaver knotted braid, but not braided). Secure the bun portion with a hairstick or pins, and let the remaining length dangle free.

I'm still a fan of braids, and they work well until they reach the floor. They can get themselves into trouble if not watched, but a braid is far easier to keep track of than loose hair, and quite easy to manage with practice.

sneakybea
October 26th, 2008, 11:04 PM
My hair isn't as long as yours, but I like to do the "bunny tail" do Anje mentioned to wear my hair up and still show off some length. I also like to do a style I call "the ampersand" which is basically a figure eight bun with a tail hanging down. Neither of these shows exactly how long your hair is, but they do show that it must be pretty long. You can also braid your hair and wrap it around your head, which you need very long hair to do. You'll certainly make people wonder how long your hair is!

manderly
October 26th, 2008, 11:30 PM
I've never liked half-ups on me, but oddly I like the look of me holding back the sides of my hair with clips. It keeps it out of my face and secure, but it shows off my length (not that there is any).

ale
October 27th, 2008, 02:36 AM
I've tried the bunny tail (without knowing it was called that way, I was just thinking about it as "a knot in my hair") and I liked it; another style I tried was simply securing with a hairstick the first coil of a bun and letting the rest of the hair hang down - it's in the first pic of my album, with the link to the inspirational pic of Dianyla and Trolleypup both with a similar do.

aisling
October 27th, 2008, 02:42 AM
I third the Bunny tail, it's a nice look and a comfortable 'do. I usually secure it with a Ficcarissimo, holds very well.

Poppy Seed
October 27th, 2008, 02:51 AM
I like doing the multi-band ponytail as an alternative to plaiting - I find it tends to accentuate the length somehow! Make a ponytail as high or low as you like, then just keep putting other hair bands in lower down until you get to the end (I do mine about 1 fist-width apart to keep the spacing even, but I'm a bit anal about things like that...!)

You could also do that after a bunny-tail if you still wanted to contain the ends a little - I do like the bunnytail too.

Um, can't remember who it was or when/where I saw it, but some one on the boards who had probably knee-length hair had a trick to keep the ends out of trouble, while still basically wearing the whole thing down. It was a kind of a circle made out of the last 2" or so on hair. Looked pretty cool too - will have to have a hunt for a pic.

Seraphina
October 27th, 2008, 03:10 AM
I second what Poppy Seed said about the multi-band ponytail-i just wore it today,in fact.It also worked well for when one of my friends needed a band-I could just slip one of the end :laugh:

NightDaemon
October 27th, 2008, 03:43 AM
I'll third the banded tail idea, it's my favourite style at the moment.

KarenLynn
October 27th, 2008, 10:41 AM
There's a style I used to wear a lot when my hair was short enough that it had no tail. Now that I have a BSL- to nearly waist-length tail, I sometimes wear it again because I like the way it looks. I call it the lazy French twist, because it used to look sort of like a French twist, but was a lot quicker and easier to do. Actually, I've *never* been able to do a real one. :lol:

I used to have a tutorial for it, but it's in my picture thread on the old board, i.e. unavailable. I need to redo it, but for now I'll try to explain.

Make a ponytail, holding it with your left hand. With your right hand upside down (palm towards the back, thumb on the left side of your head) above the ponytail, grab the ponytail between your left hand and your head.

Loop the ponytail around your thumb by rotating your hand so the palm is towards your head and the thumb pointing to the right.

Flatten the loop against your head and secure with a Ficcare type clip, flexi-8, claw clip (big one or several small) or giant French barrette. Leave the tail falling down your back. Et voilą!

StephanieB
October 27th, 2008, 11:43 AM
I used this "lazy French Twist" last week and the week before.

I was soooooo sick last week after getting my flu shot, and I was spiking very high fevers (101.6 degrees Farenheight+). I had to go back to the doctor's office, and was too sick to put my ahir up properly, let alone drive. I got a ride, but my ahir was really disgustingly oily and I had zero energy to wash it or fuss putting it up nicely.

So, I tried a fast French Twist, but as I tried to roll the tail under the twisted roll, it slipped. Sick as I was, I said to meyself, "Oh ___ it; I just can't care," and used the French Twist comb to secure it just as it was, as it had slipped. The entire tail length hung down free from the still-in-place Twist/roll.

Ladies in the doctor's office waiting room asked me how I did it. :/
The Physician's Assistant asked me how much hair length it required, and did I think she could also do it like that. :o
My doctor's wife (the office manager) - whose hair is about as long as the back of her knees asked me if I'd show her quickly how to do hers... so, sick as I was, I did hers up in what I told her was a "fast-and-dirty __ed-up lazy French Twist". LMAO

So I'm a fashion trend-setter in the historical Morristown NJ area when I'm sick as a dog! LOL

The next day - still sick beyond belief... I did the same thing with my still-unwashed hair -- and secured it with a hair stick. (the devil's fork/trident wooden hair stick I just bought from another LHCer)

My hair's washed, now, and I'm all better - thank God.
Today it's up in a hairagami, in a uropean bun, with the same hairstick as added daywear bling.

I don't love that new stick, or anything..... do I?! :eyebrows:

serrabellum
October 28th, 2008, 09:07 AM
thank you all so much for all the ideas!

i'm not too big a fan of braids, as i think they make me (just me personally) look like a little kid. dunno why.

i think i've tried the bunny tail, but like Alessandro, didn't know it was called that... it has been a while since i last tried it (last time, my hair kept slipping out for some reason or another, and then i just didn't think i could do it again). i think i may have to try that again.

when i do a sock bun, i wrap it like 2 1/2 times. maybe i can just wrap it once? if i leave it all hanging, it tends to pull at my scalp.

a friend of mine does the multi-band tail a lot. he's got black hair too, so we end up looking like twinkies. i'm going to try the lazy french braid this weekend.