PDA

View Full Version : attachments

Sossity
March 21st, 2008, 11:19 PM
how come I am not allowed to post attachments like photos etc? I wanted help in identifying my hair type? why would I be purposefully blocked like this? this blocks me somewhat from getting help? this seems counter productive. What positive purpose does is serve it to block certain forum features from certain members? it is only partially usable, is this not a waste? I am trying to learn about hair care.

Sossity

akurah
March 21st, 2008, 11:21 PM
No one can post attachments. Any pictures you see within a post are linked from another website. You can do it too, you just need to use the "insert image" button (it's the picture looking one between the envelope button and the little text box button) and put in the URL to where your image is hosted.

For what it's worth, an accusatory post like this one isn't going to endear you to many people. You could have simply asked for help.

Sossity
March 21st, 2008, 11:56 PM
Did not mean to accuse, was just a little confused, but I looked in the FAQ section about attachments & this is what I found;

"What Are Attachments? The administrator may allow you to use the attachment feature of this forum, which gives you the ability to attach files of certain types to your posts. This could be an image, a text document, a zip file etc. There will be a limit to the file size of any attachments you make.
To attach a file to a new post, simply click the [Manage Attachments] button at the bottom of the post composition page, and locate the file that you want to attach from your local hard drive.
After posting, the image attachments may display a thumbnail, depending on the forum settings. To view the contents of the attachment (if it is not already displayed) simply click the filename link that appears next to the attachment icon."

It stated there is a mange attachments at the bottom of of your post page, so I went to look for this & all I saw was that I may not post attachments, so I go back to the FAQ section on attachments page about the administrator allowing one to use the attachment feature, I came to the conclusion that I was being blocked, perhaps I have not been a member long enough, as I noticed some features are blocked from very new members who have not made a certain quota of posts etc. I also asked for help in another thread asking about how to post my photos, but had no reply yet, so I went to try & find out myself on how to do it. That is what led me to conclude that I could just post my photos from my hard drive instead of going through a host; a host seemed like a long winded way to post when I thought I could just go directly from my hard drive.

How do post my photos on this forum from a host?

Sorry for the misunderstanding

Sossity

Rae~
March 22nd, 2008, 12:25 AM
Sossity, I'll cross post this here in case you don't check back to your hair type thread.

Attachments are different to pics appearing in posts. If you attach a file to a post, the name of the file just appears at the bottom of the post, with a little paper clip. People can click on it to see the attachment. I haven't tested (or, to be honest, even looked for) this function on the new boards; it may even be disabled.

In order to have pictures appear in posts, you do not need to actually have your own website, but you do need to join a photo-hosting website such as flickr.com, photobucket.com etc. There are lots of them around.

Then, you upload your photos to that site, and it will tell you a link. When you post the link, first click the little button that looks like a mountain view (which is above the box where you write your text) and put the link in there. Then they should show up in your post.

Hope that helps. : flower:

dancingbarefoot
March 22nd, 2008, 10:49 AM
The FAQ is pretty much the generic vBulletin FAQ at this point, not customized much for us, which is why it says that attachments may be turned off (they are). That's because Stephanie's been busy rebuilding the boards and doing other major tasks and hasn't had the time to work on the FAQ. It'll get done at some point, but I apologize if it's confusing.

Attachments are different to pics appearing in posts. If you attach a file to a post, the name of the file just appears at the bottom of the post, with a little paper clip. People can click on it to see the attachment. I haven't tested (or, to be honest, even looked for) this function on the new boards; it may even be disabled.

Yes, attachments are disabled. Mods and admins can use them for posting announcements, but I can't actually think of a single time when we've needed to do that.

In order to have pictures appear in posts, you do not need to actually have your own website, but you do need to join a photo-hosting website such as flickr.com, photobucket.com etc. There are lots of them around.

Then, you upload your photos to that site, and it will tell you a link. When you post the link, first click the little button that looks like a mountain view (which is above the box where you write your text) and put the link in there. Then they should show up in your post.

Hope that helps. : flower:

Thanks for helping, Rae! :flowers: She's exactly right, too - to put photos in your posts, use links and not attachments.