PDA

View Full Version : What can cause pimples on scalp?

ninjarambohd
June 25th, 2017, 03:39 PM
Hi everyone. I'm sorry if this is in the wrong section. However since 2013 I have been struggling with my scalp. I remember onetime I was with my girlfriend and she was playing around with my hair while watching a movie and at the end of the movie there were these tiny bloody scabs all over her skirt which mind you was quite embarrassing as I didn't even notice it.

Anyways since then I have been struggling on and off with ny scalp. I have these pimples on my scalp on the crown in the middle and at the back of my head and sides. They itch like crazy and they bleed as well. Sometimes I may go months without them and sometimes they are stuck with me for months.

I remember last year I was a bit sick and I was given antibiotics and during the course it all went away and after I stopped taking the antibiotics a month later it returned.

I have been to the doctor and he gave me bymycein sorry if I spelled it wrong. It worked but then again it returned once stopped.

I have diffused thinned as well. So I really want to make sure my scalp becomes normal and hope the diffuse thinning is not permanent.

Anyways just wondering what can be the main cause of pimples that itch and bleed on the scalp? Can it cause hairloss?

Thank you again everyone.

twill
June 25th, 2017, 03:52 PM
I don't think the pimples themselves would cause hair loss, but if they aggravate you and you pick or scratch them, that could cause some trauma to your scalp and possibly effect your hair growth.

Also, if the pimples cleared up with antibiotics, that means that either the antibiotics effected your hormones in a way that cleared up the pimples, or the pimples are being caused (or at least seriously effected) by a bacterial flare-up.

How often do you wash your hair?

gthlvrmx
June 25th, 2017, 04:48 PM
If you have a cyst on your scalp, sometimes there is less hair where the bump of the cyst is on your scalp, but once removed, it might grow back. I highly suggest you talked to your doctor or dermatologist about this problem, especially since you noticed the problem get better already with antibiotics indirectly. The solution might be a simple one.

ninjarambohd
June 25th, 2017, 05:35 PM
I usually wash my hair every 3 days. Though lately these pimples have become so annoying with the itch that I've made it every 2nd day.

Jo Ann
June 25th, 2017, 07:51 PM
Have you changed your products lately? Sometimes that can cause a problem.

I would also suggest going to see the doctor--if previous doses of antibiotics have cleared up your condition, you might have an underlying infection that hasn't been addressed.

twill
June 25th, 2017, 11:21 PM
Have you noticed if the pimples get better or worse with more frequent washings?

There could be a couple if things going on there with that, too, besides the things I mentioned above - you could be drying out your scalp (meaning your oil glands will kick into full gear and your pores won't be able to keep up, resulting in clogged pores and then pimples), OR you could be not washing it often enough and the accumulated dirt/oil is clogging your pores, resulting in pimples. It could also be your shampoo, but I'm not sure on that.

Now, this is just a hypothesis and I have no idea how well it would work, but my understanding is that tea tree oil (available at pretty much any health food store) has some antibiotic properties. It would probably sting a bit on any open scabs you already have on your scalp, and you might not be able to use it undiluted if your scalp is sensitive (I'm not sure I'd try it undiluted/unmixed anyway - and definitely do a test patch on your wrist to make sure you don't have a negative reaction to it! It burned like crazy the first time I used it on my face, but I didn't have any more serious reactions after that first experience), but what you could try is putting some on your scalp and massaging it in delicately and leaving it in for a couple of hours once or twice a week and then washing it out.

Like I said, that's all hypothetical, and I would do a lot more research before actually doing that, such as asking people on here if tea tree oil treatments have been effective or counterproductive for them, and whether or not they've had bad reactions to it, but if it works, that would probably be healthier for you than a bunch of antibiotics all the time.

Andthetalltrees
June 25th, 2017, 11:41 PM
I get them if I don't wash my hair frequent enough(in my case longer then 3 days), If I keep my scalp clean I never get them. I don't know if it's the same for you though.

lapushka
June 26th, 2017, 02:25 AM
Yeah, don't start experimenting with something the likes of this yourself. Please go see a doctor! :flower:

ninjarambohd
June 26th, 2017, 04:56 AM
Thank you everyone for your kind responses. It doesn't really matter if I shower often or not. Even after a shower my head is kind of itchy. Anyways yesterday I put on a lotion called Ecolon. Apparently it is a steroid and in a long long time I have no itch at all. I really hope something works out as this is getting frustrating.

mermaid lullaby
June 26th, 2017, 05:33 AM
I remember that happened when I was a teenager, and they are a pain.
I was using Pantene at the time, but strangly, I didnt react to it as a kid. I think what helped was when I found LHC and started experimenting with other shampoos. From my experience, the SLS free ones I got pimples again, but I didnt react when I played with the SLS shampoos and avoided Pantene. Experiment and keep a diary. Although doctors are always recommended!

Anje
June 26th, 2017, 07:31 AM
I get the odd scalp zit, just like I get them on my face and body. But they aren't ever itchy and don't cause hair loss, which makes me think that what you have isn't acne.

Do have a doctor or dermatologist take a look. It sounds like an allergic reaction or an infection from here.

ninjarambohd
June 26th, 2017, 08:06 AM
Thank you very much everyone for your time and kindness! I hope it gets resolved.

Rebeccalaurenxx
June 26th, 2017, 12:57 PM
Real weird, but I used to get pimples or what felt like pimples (it's hard to tell cause of all the hair) on my scalp when I was about to get a real bad SD break out.
Hope the doctor can help you out :)

Stub
June 26th, 2017, 01:30 PM
I have that and my whole family have it as well. My brother noticed, like you, that it went away with antibiotics but then came back once they were finished. I haven't taken antibiotics in years and years so can't say for myself. His doctor told him it was folliculitis, caused by a bacteria that lives everywhere (like on pillowcases and etc) and that some people are affected and some are not. It tends to run in families for affected people too, especially within the same household, for obvious reasons. We probably all got it at the same time when we lived together as kids with our parents and just have never been able to get rid of it since. I myself am having a current terrible flare due to getting a new job working as a line cook at a busy kitchen with 6 fryers. The greasy air has clogged my pores and bad, even though I wear a head covering at work. In fact it is probably the covering (usually a bandana or buff) that has caused my flare, as most of the pimples are right under where the bandana rides at the back of my skull. I have started washing my hair at minimum every other day, and some days if I spend longer than 6 hours in the kitchen, every day. I have also been wiping my face and the back of my scalp with a cotton ball soaked in rubbing alcohol to try and dissolve any oil in clogged pores and also dry out the skin. It seems to help a bit. If you find something that works, I'd dearly love to try it for myself!

ninjarambohd
June 27th, 2017, 08:52 AM
Thank you for your reply. Oh no! I totally get how you feel. Anyways I have been taking antibiotics for 2 days now. They are called metronidazole and its one every 8 hours. I was also prescribed a steroid lotion called elocon. Lastly I was also advised to use anti head lice lotion as well. I do have the occasional itch here and there but then again it's only been a few days. Oh one last thing you can try squeezing and massaging lemon into your hair sitting for about 30 minutes and then rinsing off with a mild shampoo. I was given a shampoo called Avalon Rosemary Shampoo. It's and organic one and it's been doing well for me so far. Hope this helps.

TheBoldLife
June 27th, 2017, 12:53 PM
Rosemary and tea tree essential oils could also help! But sounds like a good idea to get that checked out. :pegasus: