PDA

View Full Version : 7 Months without a trim but so need one

Snowlily
June 25th, 2017, 06:38 AM
I can't believe I've made it to 7 months without a hair cut - my wavy hair is now in the no-mans land of between APL & BSL...Last year was very stressful and it affected my hair to the point it thinned out a bit. Luckily its growing back and I have a lot of new hair which is about ear length. However, there seem to be so many split ends and ones travelling up the hair, I have caved in and booked in for a hair cut tomorrow...

my question to you wise folk is should I get layers cut in?
a. to help the new growth be incorporated to my mane... and
b. the worst splits seem to be the hair on top - especially round my face- so it could promote less hair damage...

Quite nervous as hairdressers can be very trigger happy and I so don't want to lose length!

:D

lapushka
June 25th, 2017, 07:10 AM
Maybe try Feye's self-trimming method, if you haven't heard of that here yet?

*Wednesday*
June 25th, 2017, 08:43 AM
I can't believe I've made it to 7 months without a hair cut - my wavy hair is now in the no-mans land of between APL & BSL...Last year was very stressful and it affected my hair to the point it thinned out a bit. Luckily its growing back and I have a lot of new hair which is about ear length. However, there seem to be so many split ends and ones travelling up the hair, I have caved in and booked in for a hair cut tomorrow...

my question to you wise folk is should I get layers cut in?
a. to help the new growth be incorporated to my mane... and
b. the worst splits seem to be the hair on top - especially round my face- so it could promote less hair damage...

Quite nervous as hairdressers can be very trigger happy and I so don't want to lose length!

:D

I'm not a hair expert, just experience. New hair growth will naturally incorporate into your hair. Hair grows a different rates. If your new hair growth shows demarcation and you want to layer it to blend, is your choice. I would personally allow your hair to grow (7" to go in your sig) and do micro-trims or dustings and allow that hair to "catch-up." More important, you have splits with hair around your face which is not old hair growth. You want to cease the split ends (before they travel) or your hair will not grow properly and you will lose length. Split hair also break. Hair on its own from natural weathering can get split ends on occasion. S&D (search and destroy) can maintain and keep splits under control before they even start to travel. However, split ends caused by heat, chemicals, friction, hair manipulation etc., these sources need to be eliminated as much as possible. We don't know the history of your hair (if you color, iron, flat iron), but are you doing deep conditioning treatments, how often do you shampoo, condition etc. Something is causing the hair to split. Splits are only a symptom.

By the way, when you go to a salon, be prepared to lose length. If you are worried about it, then you know about it. Do what Lapushka suggested and look into Feye's Method. Also, your avatar, your hair looks very pretty and your ends to look good. From where I'm sitting :)

Jo Ann
June 25th, 2017, 08:15 PM
Been there, done that with the "I want to keep the length, please!" and walked out with it at least 6" shorter anyway...

If you're just wanting a trim to get rid of the split ends, I would either recommend Feye's Trimming Method as Lapushka suggested OR try a barber shop. From the reports I've had (including an aunt who could NEVER get the cut she wanted from a salon), barbers tend to listen better to their customers. If you're still wanting to go to a hairdresser, take a picture of the style WITH you (like a school picture, or one from a magazine) so you can both (hopefully) be on the same page about what YOU expect the hairdresser to do--it usually works MUCH better than trying to explain what look you're hoping to achieve.

Good luck, Snowlily!

spidermom
June 25th, 2017, 08:45 PM
With i/ii thickness, I advise against layers. It will make your longest layer look scraggly.

Cherriezzzzz
June 25th, 2017, 08:53 PM
Pleading... cancel appt LoL there are so many self trim videos on YouTube... watch them ALL and have fun not spending time and money on what you don't actually WANT. Split ends can be fixed with some Panthenol spray if there is still cuticle on the hair shafts. If that doesn't work search and destroy them w scissors and good sunlight! Learning to microtrim now will save you from ever having hairdresser regrets. Don't add layers... seems like everyone who gets them grows them out anyway haha sallys beauty supply has HAIRCUTTING scissors for cheaper then the haircut you're about to pay for :) if you end up at the hairdressers... ask them to show you what they are going to cut BEFORE they cut it. They can turn the chair around so you can see the bottom of your hair (or where you want those layers to start) and have them comb down your length till you're happy. Physically show them where you want it. Ask them to show you on their comb (there is a ruler on those combs!) what a half inch is. They can also show you the ends of the section they take before they cut so you can see it's only half inch (or w/e you're going for.) You can stop them in the middle of the cut if you think they're chopping! It's not rude nor wrong. Look at the floor for yourself and see if there is hair on there longer then your trim you asked for. Don't let the hairdresser be in charge or they will "Do their thing!" I was a hairdresser for half my life, so I promise unless your hairdresser is mean or not confident in their abilities (LOL it does happen) they should be more then fine with these requests!

Deborah
June 25th, 2017, 09:20 PM
I don't think layers are a good idea for you either. A nice blunt hemline will make your hair looks its best and will give you a wonderful place to grow from. If you can't face trimming yourself, I too have heard that barbers are more likely to cut off exactly what you tell them to cut. One or two inches would probably be sufficient. Best of luck!

queenbee1
June 26th, 2017, 05:15 AM
If you want layers, get layers. Ask them to cut long layers without cutting off any length and be VERY firm about it. I've always liked layers for my medium length hair.

BUTTTT if you're really attached to your length then I'd suggest do it yourself and your can also give yourself layers. :) I can tell you about a few YouTubers. I learned how to cut my own hair and bangs from them. But I go to the salon every other year for a big chop because I like it. ;) in between I do trims and sometimes I layer my hair myself.

lapushka
June 26th, 2017, 05:25 AM
My mom is i too (used to be i/ii of late) but still, she has a blunt cut between shoulder & APL as layers would just chop up her hair. You have to keep your thickness in mind as well.

OP, did you know about Feye's self-trimming method yet?

Snowlily
June 26th, 2017, 07:06 AM
Thank you all! I have so much new hair that I felt the need to chop a chunk off so help but i backed away from my appointment and am awaiting some special scissors in the post. Going to maintain at this length until the wee ones catch up whilst attempting Feye's method :)

Cherriezzzzz
June 26th, 2017, 07:44 AM
Thank you all! I have so much new hair that I felt the need to chop a chunk off so help but i backed away from my appointment and am awaiting some special scissors in the post. Going to maintain at this length until the wee ones catch up whilst attempting Feye's method :)

Why am I so relieved haha! :joy::bottomsup::hifive:
Looking forward to your LONG hair! Hooray

lapushka
June 26th, 2017, 07:46 AM
Yes! Great decision. Even if you "mess" Feye's up (which you can hardly do), your mistake will only be a number of mm to a cm, not a whole *chunk*.