PDA

View Full Version : Need advice for growing out silvers!

ephemeri
June 25th, 2017, 06:29 AM
Oh LHC hair gurus! I come before thee seeking your wise words.

I don't know what is happening to me but all of a sudden, I have this incredibly strong desire to have white hair. Lucky(?) for me, I went gray super early and naturally grow hair that is almost completely white. The background, however, is that I have been coloring my hair forever. I used box dye until 2015 to make it dark brown/black, then I switched to henna/indigo two-step for several months. After not being able to tolerate the smell or feel of indigo, I gave it up and decided to just be a redhead. My intention was that, over the years I would eventually start mixing the henna with cassia and fade it out to white when I was ready.

Well, all of a sudden, this plan has changed and I am sick of seeing red in my hair. If I had a magic wand, I would wave it and get all the color out right now so I could have long(-ish) white hair all over, maybe cut some bangs in, and maybe put a purple streak or two in! However, I know I need to be patient and let this happen over time. Here is where I need your help!

The growing out process is probably going to be painful for awhile, I'm thinking at least two years. I've researched ways people make it less painful by hiding the demarcation line while it grows. So far, these seems to be my options and I will probably do all of them(?):

Just let it grow and try to be creative with hairstyles, head bands.
Use root touch up things like this Bumble and bumble color stick (http://www.sephora.com/bb-color-stick-P415754).
Use semi-permanent dye until the roots are long enough to wash it out and let the silvers shine

Things that are not options:

big chop - I'm just touching BSL, I don't want to go through the awkward shoulder to APL phase again because for me it's just too hard
bleach - I've got indigo in some of my hair so this is a no-no

Here's a pic of my hair now for reference. Growing out the red roots on the black has actually been kind of fun. It hasn't looked too weird IMO, it's looked edgy most of the time especially since I often wear my hair with a dutch headband braid in the front, down to an english side braid. It always has looked pretty neat. (Except now I'm sick of the red hehe....)

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=27748&d=1498393571

Questions for you:

I'm tired of the red. But more importantly, I'm afraid that having black, red and white hair would look worse than having black and white hair. Should I indigo over the red henna I have now to make it all one color that I'm starting from?
Did anyone else go through something similar?
Anything I'm missing? Any other advice to get through this?

TIA!

ghanima
June 25th, 2017, 07:01 AM
Are you hair totally white under? or salt and pepper? if they are white the black ombre could look really cool. If they are salt and pepper less so imo but it also depends.
I wouldn't exclude a radical short cut to second your desire for immediate white. A friend of mine did that and she looked amazing. After all, this time the APL stage may be less problematic than last time, as you've learned lots of LHC tricks along the way.

Lady Stardust
June 25th, 2017, 07:13 AM
I think white and black would look really cool, and if you like edgy styles/colours anyway that's definitely a good way to go.

MidnightMoon
June 25th, 2017, 07:21 AM
I can't think of any good option. Growing out the white while just having black does seem a bit better than having three colours going on at the same time. I think that's the worst option.
Something else you could do is apply some vegetable dye to make the red another colour, like purple, and then begin growing, and applying a lighter colour each time.
Eventually, you'd end up with a light to dark ombre, that hasn't damaged your hair, and that is eventually going to wash off.
It won't give you white hair instantly, it might even take a bit longer to get to your actual goal, but IMO would be the coolest looking one.

ephemeri
June 25th, 2017, 07:26 AM
Are you hair totally white under? or salt and pepper? if they are white the black ombre could look really cool. If they are salt and pepper less so imo but it also depends.
I wouldn't exclude a radical short cut to second your desire for immediate white. A friend of mine did that and she looked amazing. After all, this time the APL stage may be less problematic than last time, as you've learned lots of LHC tricks along the way.

It's hard to say since I haven't not-dyed my hair since I've gotten so white. I am pretty sure I'm over 50% white, I would wager it's at least 75%, possibly more. It will be interesting to find out for sure! But I do comb through my roots to try an get an idea and I know that at least the top and the sides are completely white. It looks like I still have a dark brown streak in my bangs area, but everything else looks stark-white at the roots.

Cutting is tempting but... I don't think I can do it! I was on LHC and had lots of tricks while making it past APL. It's just not a comfortable length or look for me unfortunately. On top of that, I think going white is a radical enough change for me to handle at the moment... going short and white I think might be too much. :o

ephemeri
June 25th, 2017, 07:30 AM
I think white and black would look really cool, and if you like edgy styles/colours anyway that's definitely a good way to go.

Thanks... this is what I'm leaning towards now.

I can't think of any good option. Growing out the white while just having black does seem a bit better than having three colours going on at the same time. I think that's the worst option.
Something else you could do is apply some vegetable dye to make the red another colour, like purple, and then begin growing, and applying a lighter colour each time.
Eventually, you'd end up with a light to dark ombre, that hasn't damaged your hair, and that is eventually going to wash off.
It won't give you white hair instantly, it might even take a bit longer to get to your actual goal, but IMO would be the coolest looking one.

Yes this is a good point. I have tried putting purple manic panic over my henna in the past. I attempt a streak, left it on for two hours, and the color did not change one bit. So I was a little discouraged from that. I think you're right though, that somehow doing lighter and lighter will be the best option for me. I'm thinking of maybe switching to henndigo glosses and increasing the amount of conditioner slowly over months and months. I can't bank on it washing out but at least the color could look interesting and have a nicer transition while it grows.

Obsidian
June 25th, 2017, 08:49 AM
I'm in the same boat as you. I'd really like to grow out my henna but I'm having a really hard time, my roots get to 1" or so and I give in and color again. I've tried a few things to help hide the demarcation line, adore has been pretty good but it doesn't last very long. Fanci-ful isn't too bad, it doesn't come in a red shade but fawn is close enough to help blend in my whites.
I had planned on switching to lighter and lighter henna but I hate slow transitioning, would rather just get it done and over as fast as possible.

When I do color my roots, I try to only do the ones around my face and down my part. Takes less time and I do actually like looking at my growing out roots, I just can't stand how it looks like I'm going bald around my face.

I think growing out white would look really cool with the red and black but just black would be a lot easier to match root cover too.

lapushka
June 25th, 2017, 08:50 AM
I would just let it grow, yes. It's going to *hurt* the first few inches, but once you're past say 2 to 3 inches, it is going to get a lot, a lot easier!

You could try applying a semi permanent to the roots as they grow out, but I'm not sure if semis totally cover gray hair.

I would not big chop!!!

Join the grow out dye thread and... hang in there! :flower:
Good luck!

I grew out henna and dye multiple times. It sucks, not gonna lie!

ephemeri
June 25th, 2017, 09:18 AM
I'm in the same boat as you. I'd really like to grow out my henna but I'm having a really hard time, my roots get to 1" or so and I give in and color again. I've tried a few things to help hide the demarcation line, adore has been pretty good but it doesn't last very long. Fanci-ful isn't too bad, it doesn't come in a red shade but fawn is close enough to help blend in my whites.
I had planned on switching to lighter and lighter henna but I hate slow transitioning, would rather just get it done and over as fast as possible.

When I do color my roots, I try to only do the ones around my face and down my part. Takes less time and I do actually like looking at my growing out roots, I just can't stand how it looks like I'm going bald around my face.

I think growing out white would look really cool with the red and black but just black would be a lot easier to match root cover too.

It's so easy to give in, isn't it? I also did start to grow out my silvers several years ago, at the same time as doing a big chop. I couldn't stand it, and gave in and dyed. (It's so easy to dye a pixie, I told myself!) Wishing you luck on your journey. :o

I would just let it grow, yes. It's going to *hurt* the first few inches, but once you're past say 2 to 3 inches, it is going to get a lot, a lot easier!

You could try applying a semi permanent to the roots as they grow out, but I'm not sure if semis totally cover gray hair.

I would not big chop!!!

Join the grow out dye thread and... hang in there! :flower:
Good luck!

I grew out henna and dye multiple times. It sucks, not gonna lie!

Thank you lapushka! I'm glad to have the cold hard truth from someone who has been there. Makes me feel less alone. ;)

CindyOfTheOaks
June 25th, 2017, 09:30 AM
Let it just grow - you might end up with a really amazing look !

Obsidian
June 25th, 2017, 10:18 AM
It is super easy to give in, especially since I have a freezer full of henna, some mixed up and ready to go:undecided. I recently cut around 6" to get rid of my layers, I'm back at chin length now. I figured this is the best time to try growing out again.

Another thing I just thought about, what color are your eyebrows? Mine are so light they are nearly invisible and when I let the henna on them grow out, it made me look really washed out. I didn't want to use henna on them though, the bright orange was too fake.
I went to sallys and got some light ash blonde permanent dye, I can mix up 1/4 tsp at a time and color my brows every month or so. It looks natural with the henna and gives some color to my face. This helps even more than toning down my ashy roots.

ephemeri
June 25th, 2017, 12:27 PM
It is super easy to give in, especially since I have a freezer full of henna, some mixed up and ready to go:undecided. I recently cut around 6" to get rid of my layers, I'm back at chin length now. I figured this is the best time to try growing out again.

Another thing I just thought about, what color are your eyebrows? Mine are so light they are nearly invisible and when I let the henna on them grow out, it made me look really washed out. I didn't want to use henna on them though, the bright orange was too fake.
I went to sallys and got some light ash blonde permanent dye, I can mix up 1/4 tsp at a time and color my brows every month or so. It looks natural with the henna and gives some color to my face. This helps even more than toning down my ashy roots.

Naturally they're black, now they're kind of black and white. I use a gel brow pencil to color them and it covers the whites pretty well! Better than other brow products I've tried. It's this one if you're curious (http://www.sephora.com/gel-brow-P404806?skuId=1781624&keyword=milk%20eyebrow%20), I use the dark brown one but it's super dark, almost black.

I'm looking forward to having white hair! It will give me a reason to wear a bold lip color and cute earrings every day! (I'm pretty fair-skinned so I will have to spruce things up a little once my hair has little to no color.)

I agree with what you said -- now is a perfect time for you to grow out. Having hair at that length will make it so much easier! Have you looked into any non-permanent root touch up products? They might help too!

Obsidian
June 25th, 2017, 12:53 PM
Naturally they're black, now they're kind of black and white. I use a gel brow pencil to color them and it covers the whites pretty well! Better than other brow products I've tried. It's this one if you're curious (http://www.sephora.com/gel-brow-P404806?skuId=1781624&keyword=milk%20eyebrow%20), I use the dark brown one but it's super dark, almost black.

I'm looking forward to having white hair! It will give me a reason to wear a bold lip color and cute earrings every day! (I'm pretty fair-skinned so I will have to spruce things up a little once my hair has little to no color.)

I agree with what you said -- now is a perfect time for you to grow out. Having hair at that length will make it so much easier! Have you looked into any non-permanent root touch up products? They might help too!

You are lucky, my brows are so light there isn't a pencil on earth that is the proper color. I actually used adore on my roots today, it doesn't stick to my virgin hair that well but it helps. I'd like to try a different semi but I don't know which one.

ephemeri
June 25th, 2017, 01:34 PM
You are lucky, my brows are so light there isn't a pencil on earth that is the proper color. I actually used adore on my roots today, it doesn't stick to my virgin hair that well but it helps. I'd like to try a different semi but I don't know which one.

There are a couple of products I've read about but haven't tried, that aren't dyes but help with camouflaging roots while you're growing out.

This one is a powder. (http://www.ulta.com/root-cover-up?productId=xlsImpprod11061070&sku=2278090&cmpid=PS_Non!google!Product_Listing_Ads&cagpspn=pla&CATCI=aud-301420275998:pla-81088269630&CAAGID=17983776030&CAWELAID=330000200000188166&catargetid=330000200000199210&cadevice=c&gclid=CjwKEAjwvr3KBRD_i_Lz6cihrDASJADUkGCacuXBad3P 62VLco3JOh5fqCCPQWzSyAepkVspnWHfuBoCsFrw_wcB)
This one I mentioned above - the Bb Color Stick seems like a blendable waxy/gel-ish crayon (I just ordered one and can report back after I try it!) (http://www.sephora.com/bb-color-stick-P415754?om_mmc=aff-linkshare-redirect-TnL5HPStwNw&c3ch=Linkshare&c3nid=TnL5HPStwNw&affid=TnL5HPStwNw-LQNu_g1yZPABuRzlEb1PiA&ranEAID=TnL5HPStwNw&ranMID=2417&ranSiteID=TnL5HPStwNw-LQNu_g1yZPABuRzlEb1PiA&ranLinkID=10-1&browserdefault=true)
This one is a spray. (https://www.amazon.com/LOreal-Paris-Cover-Temporary-Concealer/dp/B01648QP3W)
This one is a marker. (https://www.amazon.com/TouchBack-Touch-Color-Marker-Medium/dp/B00LJ281FY)

I haven't tried any of these yet, so I can't vouch for them. I did used to sometimes take a brown brow powder I had to cover up the very front of my part when my silvers were showing through but it wasn't time to dye yet... and honestly I enjoyed it! Quick and easy. It totally worked. I don't know if any of these will help but it seems like they could make the transition from 0 to 1inch (maybe longer?) a little less painful! Maybe they can take away the urge to dye. :confused:

lapushka
June 25th, 2017, 02:01 PM
Thank you lapushka! I'm glad to have the cold hard truth from someone who has been there. Makes me feel less alone. ;)

You can do it. If it is something you *really* really want, you can do it. Just whenever in doubt, come and talk to us first, okay? Before you do something sudden and or drastic to the roots.

Lady Stardust
June 25th, 2017, 03:23 PM
You could always use a scarf or a wide headband to cover the first couple of inches of roots, to make the growing out experience slightly less painful. I love wearing stuff like that and take any opportunity to :-)

Obsidian
June 25th, 2017, 04:17 PM
Those B&B sticks look really interesting, I wonder how easy they wash out.
Please let us know how they are, they could be fun just to play around with.

Anje
June 25th, 2017, 06:42 PM
Honestly, I think I'd try doing lowlights with a dark brown or black semi-permanent dye. Clearly, bleaching isn't going to work with the indigo in there, and it'd mostly make your henna bright orange anyway. I don't have any brand recs for you, because I use mostly Adore too, and it doesn't like to stay on virgin hair for long. Mixed with conditioner though, you can draw out the time between dyes a bit.

ShirleyAnn
June 25th, 2017, 07:08 PM
When I went grey 4 years ago I did a big chop. I'm sorry I did. Hair dye fades with time. Also unless your hair is totally totally white, you are still gonna have some​ ombre going on as your salt and pepper gets more salt and less pepper. :-)

Once I had all virgin hair I thought I was done transition ing. Fast forward to 3 Florida summers spending time outdoors, the "pepper" on my ends has bleached out from the sun to various shades of light brown. Mixed with my "salt" the ends of my hair (before my last trim) looked kinda liked it had been died Ash blonde, even though it came out of my head grey. I've often thought I may has well not cut off the dyed part, since the ends wound up looking dyed/bleached anyway.
That's just my experience for what it's worth :-)