PDA

View Full Version : Can I put semi-permanent dye over my permanent dye hair color?

sara273
June 22nd, 2017, 11:54 PM
I had bleached my dark brown hair and permanently dyed it strawberry blonde back in February. I want to dye my hair pink with loreal's new colorista pink semi permanent hair dye on the parts where I have bleached and colored it strawberry blonde, (I don't mind how the brown roots look). Can I do it or will I have to remove my hair of the permanent dye first? I paid a lot of money to get it permanently dyed and I want to know if the pink will just wash off the hair after 4-8 washes or will it ruin my permanent dye? I would love it if it left a pink tone to my hair!

Wreckinbelle
June 23rd, 2017, 12:17 AM
I know people who do it in between dyes just to give their hair a little pick me up!

MidnightMoon
June 23rd, 2017, 01:00 AM
Sure as hell you can. It's going to stick even better on already bleached hair.
Just make sure you don't leave any patches.
Most of the softer colours like pink will be gone after 4-8 washes, but I'd be aware of darker pinks, and of course, not everyone's hair is the same. You might still end up with a few light pink or golden rose strands or ends. But if it's strawberry blonde hair you like, and it's a light pink, I don't think that would be a problem.
I've used those dyes in different colours. I find the dark red is the one that stuck for the most time, as well as a certain brand on bleached red hair.
I put some pink the other day (april 23rd, I wash about every 5 days), and I still had some parts that looked a bit pink/orangey about two weeks ago. They're gone now, though.

**I just realised you're planning to use L'Oreal. I've seen reviews of that. It didn't stick for more than two washes. I haven't used it myself but it seems like it's a lot less pigmented or stays a lot less than other dyes we use here, like Directions, Manic Panic, Pravana, etc.**

lapushka
June 23rd, 2017, 04:09 AM
I had bleached my dark brown hair and permanently dyed it strawberry blonde back in February. I want to dye my hair pink with loreal's new colorista pink semi permanent hair dye on the parts where I have bleached and colored it strawberry blonde, (I don't mind how the brown roots look). Can I do it or will I have to remove my hair of the permanent dye first? I paid a lot of money to get it permanently dyed and I want to know if the pink will just wash off the hair after 4-8 washes or will it ruin my permanent dye? I would love it if it left a pink tone to my hair!

For sure you can put a semi over permanent, as long as you don't want the color to lighten or something like that, because that won't happen.

It seems do-able to me, from your description. I would use something like La Riche Directions or Manic Panic or the like, and not the L'Oréal. Especially not the teal one (turns green within a few washes). No personal experience, but just look up the dye on YT for experiences.

Anje
June 23rd, 2017, 07:56 AM
Semi-permanent pinks tend to stick pretty hard, and it will stick more to your lightened hair than it would to naturally blond hair. Most semis last longer than 4-8 washes, too.

I mean, you can certainly do it. You can't remove your dye and go back to brown anyway -- you'd have to dye it brown again, because you had to take the pigment out of your hair to achieve your current color. But expect the color to last at least a few months, not a few washes.