PDA

View Full Version : Help for seborrheic dermatitis scalp

Natashap
June 22nd, 2017, 12:26 AM
Please help...

my scalp is all crusty and scared to take it off as might bleed.

use head and shoulders twice a week and wash now everyday though its difficult for me,my scalp is greasy and oily looking always

my hair is falling rapidly and was recently trimmed but it did not help.

how can i fix my hair and scalp to a point that i can maintain a normal scalp.

anything you have tried might help me.

thank you

Meggypoo
June 22nd, 2017, 01:04 AM
I'm so sorry this is happening. Have you talked to your doctor? It could be a yeast infection.

Rebeccalaurenxx
June 22nd, 2017, 02:12 AM
Ok - first of all SD cannot be treated with head and shoulders. I have SD, and frequent washings "clear" it up, but it always flares right back up.
You NEED to see a doctor. I repeat -- YOU NEED TO SEE A DOCTOR. Preferably a dermatologist, who can prescribe you a shampoo to clear it up, so that you can use regular shampoo again without a flare up in the future. I need to use my medical shampoo every month or so to "maintain" the health of my scalp.
I tried doing the whole head and shoulders - selsun blue thing, they did not work for me.
Some people here recommend Nizoral 2%, which you can only get OTC/prescribed in the US but I have yet to try that brand yet.

lapushka
June 22nd, 2017, 04:00 AM
Take yourself and that scalp to the doctor ASAP. You may need Nizoral 2% but in the US that is doctor-prescribed; or any other medication or shampoo for that matter. If it has gotten (or you let it come) to a point where it has scabbed over and is crusty, then a lot may be needed to clear it up. I tell you one thing. STICK to whatever the doctor is giving you. If it doesn't start to work within 2/3 applications, then go back and tell the doctor so s/he can help you further. This is going to take *multiple* applications of whatever you throw at it to get it to clear up again.

Yes, H&S can't "cure" SD at all!

Obsidian
June 22nd, 2017, 07:17 AM
Yep, you need a doctor for this. While you are waiting to see the doc, get this and see if it helps at all.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01MRBTWRK/ref=mp_s_a_1_15?ie=UTF8&qid=1498137120&sr=8-15&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=nizoral+shampoo

If you are in EU, your can get the 2%. If you happen to be in Canada, you can get selsum blue with 2.5% selinium sulfide which is what I prefer for my SD.

lapushka
June 22nd, 2017, 07:36 AM
Yep, you need a doctor for this. While you are waiting to see the doc, get this and see if it helps at all.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01MRBTWRK/ref=mp_s_a_1_15?ie=UTF8&qid=1498137120&sr=8-15&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=nizoral+shampoo

If you are in EU, your can get the 2%. If you happen to be in Canada, you can get selsum blue with 2.5% selinium sulfide which is what I prefer for my SD.

I wouldn't waste my money on the 1%, not before you've seen the doctor with this scalp. Leave it alone as much as possible (that's the idea if you need a medical professional) and go *straight* to the doctor. Better bite the bullet now it's at its worst (I hope it doesn't get worse).

KlutzyChy1
June 22nd, 2017, 07:29 PM
First, I am so sorry that you've been struggling with this and I hope that it gets resolved soon. I'm going to second what everyone else has already said here. Please see a doctor. They will prescribe a medicated shampoo. It may take a while but you have to stick with it. I have SD as well and have been using a medicated shampoo for about 3&1/2 weeks now and still have a few flakes here and there that need to be cleared up. I tried H&S and it only irritated my scalp further. I wish you the best of luck with this. I know how hard it is to deal with.

lapushka
June 23rd, 2017, 04:42 AM
First, I am so sorry that you've been struggling with this and I hope that it gets resolved soon. I'm going to second what everyone else has already said here. Please see a doctor. They will prescribe a medicated shampoo. It may take a while but you have to stick with it. I have SD as well and have been using a medicated shampoo for about 3&1/2 weeks now and still have a few flakes here and there that need to be cleared up. I tried H&S and it only irritated my scalp further. I wish you the best of luck with this. I know how hard it is to deal with.

I'm glad you're doing great! It does take time, so if there's even the tiniest speck of a flake, stick with it! I'm 45, and I've had this all my life, so quite a bit of experience here. If it's not all gone, stick with the medicated shampoo.

I recently had a flare-up and had been having what seemed 2 dry flaky patches on my temple area (all the way to the back). You think, mistakingly, that it is dry skin - but it's not! One shampoo with Nizoral 2% resolved it. I did let it sit for 10 min. because it's a new bottle and the instructions "suddenly" speak of letting it sit 5 to 10 min. It was all gone though. I washed it with H&S after, but that was because my Nizoral barely sudsed and I needed to get the rest of my (normal) scalp clean. It's not that it "helps" any. Not for that kind of an issue.

I've been all clear for a few weeks now. Yay. I mean... It is such an odd thing, this SD!

Obsidian
June 23rd, 2017, 07:15 AM
Curious, for those of you who have tried head and shoulders, what kind were you using? Most of their shampoos contain Pyrithione Zinc which does nothing for SD but the clinical strength contains Selenium Sulfide 1% which can help SD. This is what I had to start using when my insurance stopped paying for my Selenium Sulfide 2.5% shampoo.

It won't do much for a bad flare but it will stop a flare if caught early enough. I rub into my scalp when hair is dry, let it sit for 10-15 minutes then wash it out. One use is generally enough to stop the itchies and scabs. I also use Nizoral 2% at times but its not as effective for me, taking 2-3 uses before I get relief.

lapushka
June 23rd, 2017, 08:02 AM
Curious, for those of you who have tried head and shoulders, what kind were you using? Most of their shampoos contain Pyrithione Zinc which does nothing for SD but the clinical strength contains Selenium Sulfide 1% which can help SD. This is what I had to start using when my insurance stopped paying for my Selenium Sulfide 2.5% shampoo.

It won't do much for a bad flare but it will stop a flare if caught early enough. I rub into my scalp when hair is dry, let it sit for 10-15 minutes then wash it out. One use is generally enough to stop the itchies and scabs. I also use Nizoral 2% at times but its not as effective for me, taking 2-3 uses before I get relief.

Regular H&S (just that you can get off the shelf), but I *do not* use it for flare-ups. Only if I discover a few (a *few*) flakes and think, oh it might help and I'm not ready to bust out the Nizoral for it. Lately I had 2 major patches I should have reacted to *much* earlier (yeah, you never learn, do you). I did bust out the Nizoral, and all is fine again. Can't believe I waited so long to get it cleared up.

Henrietta
June 23rd, 2017, 08:14 AM
I tamed my SD while I waited 9 or so months to get to a dermatologist. It's still there, but under control, as long as I take care of it. What worked for me is: 1. exfoliating, 2. moisturising. For exfoliating, I use a drugstore scalp gel with 30% urea. In smaller concentrations, urea is a moisturiser, around 30% it starts acting as an exfoliant. Used once a week, it cleans my scalp of all the nasty layer of... whatever it is. When the situation was really bad, I used it before every wash, plus a bit after, left in. Now once a week is enough.
Then moisturising. See if you can find a scalp treatment, it doesn't have to say it's a moisturising ones, the one I'm using is supposed to promote hair growth. It doesn't do that for me (though it does for many other ladies), but it moisturises beautifully. I'd suggest finding one that's alcohol-free, since alcohol might upset your scalp even more. If you can't find a readymade product, cautiously try some natural stuff. Aloe vera gel? Flaxseed gel?

Obsidian
June 23rd, 2017, 08:31 AM
Regular H&S (just that you can get off the shelf), but I *do not* use it for flare-ups. Only if I discover a few (a *few*) flakes and think, oh it might help and I'm not ready to bust out the Nizoral for it. Lately I had 2 major patches I should have reacted to *much* earlier (yeah, you never learn, do you). I did bust out the Nizoral, and all is fine again. Can't believe I waited so long to get it cleared up.

Maybe try the clinical strength if you can find it, I've found it really helpful for those in between flare irritated scalp issues. Definitely hear you on waiting too long before busting out the big guns, I'm bad about that too.
In fact, I've been itchy for a few days and it just dawned on me yesterday that I need to treat this before it gets any worse. Used nizoral and it did help but not as much as I had hoped for. Going to try the H&S today. For whatever reason, my SD reacts better to selenium sulfide.

lapushka
June 23rd, 2017, 08:53 AM
Maybe try the clinical strength if you can find it, I've found it really helpful for those in between flare irritated scalp issues. Definitely hear you on waiting too long before busting out the big guns, I'm bad about that too.
In fact, I've been itchy for a few days and it just dawned on me yesterday that I need to treat this before it gets any worse. Used nizoral and it did help but not as much as I had hoped for. Going to try the H&S today. For whatever reason, my SD reacts better to selenium sulfide.

They do not sell that in Belgium. ;)

KlutzyChy1
June 23rd, 2017, 09:10 AM
@lapushka: Thank you! :heart: I still have some flakes coming up, but am hoping they will clear up soon. I wasn't sure how well it was working at first because after a wash I'd have all these flakes come up, and the next day have just as many. Where do they come from?! I'm a bit nervous because I'm not sure what shampoo to use once the flakes have cleared up though. Anyway, I've been strictly sticking to your advice and refusing to let anything else touch my scalp until theres no more flakes.

It truly is. Mine seems to be very different from yours, but its still the same thing!

KlutzyChy1
June 23rd, 2017, 09:13 AM
@Obsidian: I used the regular H&S as well. It did nothing to help my SD. It almost seemed to mask the problem. After my first wash with it, it 'appeared' as if there were no flakes, but they were very much there. I'm using the Nizoral 2% to get them all up now. I've never tried to use it to prevent a flare up though.

lapushka
June 23rd, 2017, 10:29 AM
@lapushka: Thank you! :heart: I still have some flakes coming up, but am hoping they will clear up soon. I wasn't sure how well it was working at first because after a wash I'd have all these flakes come up, and the next day have just as many. Where do they come from?! I'm a bit nervous because I'm not sure what shampoo to use once the flakes have cleared up though. Anyway, I've been strictly sticking to your advice and refusing to let anything else touch my scalp until theres no more flakes.

It truly is. Mine seems to be very different from yours, but its still the same thing!

When I do have flakes, they are quite big, like over half a cm big. The key is really to stick to it, and to leave it on for enough time. My leaflet now says 5 to 10 min. but I have a new bottle, and I'm in Belgium. Formula's might be different country to country. It is a dark pink liquid where I am.

KlutzyChy1
June 23rd, 2017, 11:28 AM
When I do have flakes, they are quite big, like over half a cm big. The key is really to stick to it, and to leave it on for enough time. My leaflet now says 5 to 10 min. but I have a new bottle, and I'm in Belgium. Formula's might be different country to country. It is a dark pink liquid where I am.

All my flakes are practically microscopic. Just a bunch of tiny white dots all over. It's so odd. I think they might be different formulas as well. I'm in the U.S. & can only get the shampoo by prescription.

lapushka
June 23rd, 2017, 11:41 AM
All my flakes are practically microscopic. Just a bunch of tiny white dots all over. It's so odd. I think they might be different formulas as well. I'm in the U.S. & can only get the shampoo by prescription.

We don't have the 1% - at all; doesn't exist here. All we have is the 2% and it is OTC at the pharmacy.

Obsidian
June 23rd, 2017, 12:02 PM

Mine rx bottle says to leave it on for 5 minutes, I usually do 10 just because. Mine is a transparent pink and it doesn't really have a scent.

lapushka
June 23rd, 2017, 01:33 PM
Mine rx bottle says to leave it on for 5 minutes, I usually do 10 just because. Mine is a transparent pink and it doesn't really have a scent.

Scent? I don't remember, so probably not. Mine is a very dark (transparent) pink. Yes, I get the full effect with 10 min. and it works much better that way, I've just recently experienced!

lapushka
June 23rd, 2017, 04:40 PM
OP, how's it going now? Any better yet? Have you had a chance to go to the doctor yet?

Rebeccalaurenxx
June 23rd, 2017, 04:44 PM

I tried H&S, both medicated and regular, neither worked. I also tried selsun blue which also contains the Selenium Sulfide, I believe. That also did nothing.

I believe some types of SD really do need the medical grade shampoo. OTC, 2% or higher and left on the scalp for at least 5 mins. Mine does, that is for sure.
I need to go back to the Rx and see if I can get my shampoo prescription refilled, whatever the dermatologist prescribed, worked really well for me, but I have never seen anyone here talk about it or use it. I was flare free for 4 months or more after using the medicated shampoo once a week then once a month for about 6 months. Lasted me awhile imo. However it was pretty drying. Thats the only after effect of these medical shampoos, they are so drying imo.