PDA

View Full Version : Thigh-Length cut to Waist???

fairy_hair
June 19th, 2017, 02:35 PM
Hi everyone,
I was growing my hair for three or more years (inspired by all of you!) and I actually managed to grow it to thigh length by the beginning of 2017. I was very happy with it, it looked beautiful from the back, freshly combed, but I could never wear it down, at all, since it's so fine and gets into everything! I had it gradually cut back to tailbone, then a bit shorter until it is now about hip. Now I am craving a shorter hairstyle, to compliment my face and body better, rather than growing hair for the sake of impressive, shiny, long hair! I feel like it would suit me better shorter (WL or BSL). I crave the wonderful, thick ends and the hair flick that is just not possible with hair as long as mine. It just sits there, at the front or at the back, nowhere in between! What are your experiences with cutting to WL or BSL from having it very long? Any regrets or was it the right choice for you? (And, is the flick possible at waist? I can't remember!):flower:

lapushka
June 19th, 2017, 02:46 PM
Hi everyone,
I was growing my hair for three or more years (inspired by all of you!) and I actually managed to grow it to thigh length by the beginning of 2017. I was very happy with it, it looked beautiful from the back, freshly combed, but I could never wear it down, at all, since it's so fine and gets into everything! I had it gradually cut back to tailbone, then a bit shorter until it is now about hip. Now I am craving a shorter hairstyle, to compliment my face and body better, rather than growing hair for the sake of impressive, shiny, long hair! I feel like it would suit me better shorter (WL or BSL). I crave the wonderful, thick ends and the hair flick that is just not possible with hair as long as mine. It just sits there, at the front or at the back, nowhere in between! What are your experiences with cutting to WL or BSL from having it very long? Any regrets or was it the right choice for you? (And, is the flick possible at waist? I can't remember!):flower:

First of all. You don't have to ask us for permission. :flower: You do you.

I once had perm and heat damage, and had to cut from hip to BSL, that was a *big* change. If you are going shorter, the difference between hip/waist and BSL is major!

If you are going to cut, do it in increments like you have been doing.

Good luck to you!!! :)

Nique1202
June 19th, 2017, 04:45 PM
It sounds like you've been doing what we usually recommend here: cutting back a few inches at a time to make sure you get exactly what you want and don't lose more than you need to. If it's not costing you a fortune in stylist fees, I'd just keep that up and give it a week or two in between to settle into each length and see if it feels right yet. :blossom: You've got to find a length that works for you and your routine and your preferences. If that means cutting back from thigh to waist in the space of a few months, then that's what it takes.

Aunt Rapunzel
June 19th, 2017, 06:27 PM
I completely agree about going a little at a time. I had waist-length hair and due to an error in the stylist's measuring, I ended up with a chin-length bob. :thud: That was a big change!

And please forgive my ignorance, but what is "the flick"?

Anje
June 19th, 2017, 08:11 PM
Think about it for a while. It definitely doesn't hurt to let it stew til you know what you actually think. I let it spin around in my head for a couple months before I did a big chop about 6 months ago (fingertip to super short, all at once). In the end, I was OK with it and don't regret it at all (other than feeling bad that I'm not using my hairtoys ATM). Maybe some of that is because I realized that hair bunned tightly and the cut I'm sporting now don't actually look all that different on my face, so there was no shock to seeing what it looked like. But it absolutely doesn't hurt to be sure you're OK with the decision before any drastic cuts. The forum typically advises a two-week consideration period before chopping (to prevent impulse cuts), but when you're thinking of removing over a foot of hair, longer consideration than that isn't unwise.

SnowDancer
June 19th, 2017, 08:21 PM
The longest my hair ever got was hip. due to some damage that prompted a cut and being a hairstylist's first ever client, my trim ended up being a bob. Take your time. If you want shorter hair, go for it. But do it slowly to make sure you're happy with it.

The 'flick" is more of a hair toss at waist (unless you have thin hair) but totally doable at bsl.

fairy_hair
June 20th, 2017, 12:24 AM
Thanks for your advice, and I see what you mean about the 'flick' being more of a toss at waist length. I think I will continue getting gradual trims and see what feels best! :)

fairy_hair
June 20th, 2017, 12:28 AM
I completely agree about going a little at a time. I had waist-length hair and due to an error in the stylist's measuring, I ended up with a chin-length bob. :thud: That was a big change!

And please forgive my ignorance, but what is "the flick"?

That sounds awful! So sorry about your unexpected cut to chin! Ohh, and by the 'flick', I mean, when you turn your head and move, the hair is more free and may 'flick' around rather than stay plastered to my back, hahaa :D

fairy_hair
June 20th, 2017, 12:37 AM
Thank you to everyone for your experiences and advice! :) Waist sounds most appealing to me at the moment, so I will probably have about 2 inches cut off in my next trim (in two days!), and see how it feels. I did actually want it closer to waist at my last trim 6 weeks ago, but the hairdressers refused to cut more than an inch because they loved it too much! xD So it doesn't sound like I'll have a problem with them cutting too short at once. I am more excited than is probably normal to have hair that frames my face again! :D Also, I think as my hair is quite fine and lightweight, waist length may give me the 'flick' I'm looking for. :)

SnowDancer
June 20th, 2017, 05:41 PM
Good luck. Make sure you update us on where you end up! :)

fairy_hair
June 21st, 2017, 12:56 PM
Good luck. Make sure you update us on where you end up! :)

You won't believe this, but a day after thinking I really was ready to have it shorter... I saw Inna Lymar (my literal hair twin when it was that long) on Instagram after a long time.... and it hit my heart... hard. So tomorrow I will be having a tiny trim and am considering growing it again, but with my now much thicker ends due to the big trims since :) I am as shocked as you will be... I thought I even wanted shoulder length!! How can a mind change so fast? It hurts! XD Sorry for the false alarm guys, but it definitely made me reconsider!

DweamGoiL
June 21st, 2017, 01:11 PM
You won't believe this, but a day after thinking I really was ready to have it shorter... I saw Inna Lymar (my literal hair twin when it was that long) on Instagram after a long time.... and it hit my heart... hard. So tomorrow I will be having a tiny trim and am considering growing it again, but with my now much thicker ends due to the big trims since :) I am as shocked as you will be... I thought I even wanted shoulder length!! How can a mind change so fast? It hurts! XD Sorry for the false alarm guys, but it definitely made me reconsider!

The important thing is YOU are happy with the results :)

*Wednesday*
June 21st, 2017, 02:09 PM
....Now I am craving a shorter hairstyle, to compliment my face and body better, rather than growing hair for the sake of impressive, shiny, long hair! I feel like it would suit me better shorter (WL or BSL). I crave the wonderful, thick ends....

How would WL hair frame your face and body better than TBL? Unless you cut hair much shorter, to possibly BSL (possible layers) would only frame your face not your body. TBL frames the body (worn down). You sound impulsive which may later lead to regret. I don’t think you are sure what you want. You were eager to cut for thick hair that frames your face then heart-struck by an Instragram photo and now want to grow (what you probably cut off) because of a “hair twin.” Do the two week wait as suggested.

Sarahlabyrinth
June 21st, 2017, 02:13 PM
Yes - impulsivity is not good for growing long hair.

fairy_hair
June 21st, 2017, 02:27 PM
Yes - impulsivity is not good for growing long hair.

Agreed! I did consider cutting my hair shorter for 5 months prior to this, by the way, it's just I thought right now, I was fully sure of it. But that soon changed. I think it's best if I do nothing.

melesine
June 21st, 2017, 02:33 PM
Two years ago I chopped mine from TB to CB length. I thought about it for about 6 months before I did it. While I enjoyed it, I immediately knew I'd grow it back out and that's what I've been doing since.

Cherriezzzzz
June 21st, 2017, 02:36 PM
What about keeping length... and get very light layering starting around mid back? That will keep long lush hair and give flick!

fairy_hair
June 21st, 2017, 02:49 PM
Two years ago I chopped mine from TB to CB length. I thought about it for about 6 months before I did it. While I enjoyed it, I immediately knew I'd grow it back out and that's what I've been doing since.

Oh noo! At least you had that moment of freedom until you wanted it back! :D I have been gradually cutting mine until it is now hip length and when it got to this point, I was initially very excited about it for a month, and then I wanted it even shorter... and suddenly, since today, I want it all to grow back. :D

fairy_hair
June 21st, 2017, 02:50 PM
What about keeping length... and get very light layering starting around mid back? That will keep long lush hair and give flick!

That sounds like a possibility! At the moment I will keep it all one length and consider layers later if I still feel it needs more flick! :)

spidermom
June 21st, 2017, 07:05 PM
The only thing I regret about cutting my hair from classic length to shoulder length was that I did it a little bit at a time and argued with myself about it for a good 2 years before I finally snapped and had it cut to shoulder, which I had wanted all along. My hair suits me so much more at this length. I can still put it up if I want to, but I don't have to, and that makes a world of difference. I feel like my hair contributes to an overall attractive appearance rather than being pretty in and of itself on the rare occasions that I had it down and people could see it. I don't feel that the bun or a braided style was very attractive on me from a standpoint of how my face looked.

Dark40
June 21st, 2017, 08:43 PM
I remember when I got my first hair cut as a kid from having my hair reaching MBL, and I went through the big chop up to a bob. Afterwards, I had regretted it. I had wished that I kept all of my hair. But nowadays I have it grown back to MBL, and it's on the way to being WL!!! I wouldn't really cut it. Because, you are going to regret it in the long run.

Dark40
June 21st, 2017, 08:45 PM

Hey, I'm trying to grow out my hair to my thighs. Well, my hair is thick. So, I guess that's why I'm feeling that the length will suite me. Or, even longer like ,"Ankle Length."

fairy_hair
June 22nd, 2017, 02:30 AM
The only thing I regret about cutting my hair from classic length to shoulder length was that I did it a little bit at a time and argued with myself about it for a good 2 years before I finally snapped and had it cut to shoulder, which I had wanted all along. My hair suits me so much more at this length. I can still put it up if I want to, but I don't have to, and that makes a world of difference. I feel like my hair contributes to an overall attractive appearance rather than being pretty in and of itself on the rare occasions that I had it down and people could see it. I don't feel that the bun or a braided style was very attractive on me from a standpoint of how my face looked.

Wow, you just took the words out of my mouth! This is exactly how I've been feeling! Thanks for sharing your experience. :) It's not easy to choose, even over a very long period of time. Arguing with myself about it is the reason I keep changing my mind!

JennyPenny
June 22nd, 2017, 08:33 AM

This is just what I was going to suggest. If you want something to frame your face AND want to keep the length, get layers.

fairy_hair
June 22nd, 2017, 02:25 PM
Hey, I'm trying to grow out my hair to my thighs. Well, my hair is thick. So, I guess that's why I'm feeling that the length will suite me. Or, even longer like ,"Ankle Length."

I'm back onto thinking like that again too!! I really kinda wish I didn't cut it to hip now but it probably has helped the health of my ends at least. I think as my routine changed a lot this year, so did my mind about hair... but I'm back :D Also, since I actually did manage to grow my fine hair to thigh length, if you have any trouble, feel free to ask for any help you need about that. :)

fairy_hair
June 22nd, 2017, 02:28 PM
I remember when I got my first hair cut as a kid from having my hair reaching MBL, and I went through the big chop up to a bob. Afterwards, I had regretted it. I had wished that I kept all of my hair. But nowadays I have it grown back to MBL, and it's on the way to being WL!!! I wouldn't really cut it. Because, you are going to regret it in the long run.

Yes, I think that's the truth really. We might want a shorter haircut for many reasons... but at the end if the day, we likely grew and kept it long in the first place because we found it beautiful... so a change away from that seems unnatural, a reason I am deciding to stick with it long aha!

lapushka
June 22nd, 2017, 02:30 PM
That's why we got the 2-week rule around here, anyone remember? Just to combat the impulsivity. I'll link the thread:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=139091

fairy_hair
June 22nd, 2017, 02:34 PM
That's why we got the 2-week rule around here, anyone remember? Just to combat the impulsivity. I'll link the thread:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=139091

It's always good to use a 2 week rule... but I always used at least a month rule in fact, and my mind still changes sometimes, it's dreadful xD By the way, if I ever change my mind again I will join the 2 week rule thread! It looks helpful! :)

Dark40
June 22nd, 2017, 03:56 PM
I'm back onto thinking like that again too!! I really kinda wish I didn't cut it to hip now but it probably has helped the health of my ends at least. I think as my routine changed a lot this year, so did my mind about hair... but I'm back :D Also, since I actually did manage to grow my fine hair to thigh length, if you have any trouble, feel free to ask for any help you need about that. :)

I'm glad to hear you're back thinking like again too!!! I also bet that you wish you didn't cut it back to hip now too but I also think that it did help the health of your ends in the long run at least. Again, I am so glad that you're back. :D Awwww, thank you the warm welcome to answering questions on how to grow thigh length hair or longer!:)

Dark40
June 22nd, 2017, 03:59 PM
Yes, I think that's the truth really. We might want a shorter haircut for many reasons... but at the end if the day, we likely grew and kept it long in the first place because we found it beautiful... so a change away from that seems unnatural, a reason I am deciding to stick with it long aha!

Yes, that is so very true. I'm glad you decided to stick with it long aha! I have an aunt, and I had a 2nd cousin on my dad's side of the family that used to have hair as long as to a little bit passed their butts. I think it might have been to their thighs. Or, to the top of their thighs, and I'm figuring that I had inherited it from them as well!!!

fairy_hair
June 22nd, 2017, 04:18 PM
I'm glad to hear you're back thinking like again too!!! I also bet that you wish you didn't cut it back to hip now too but I also think that it did help the health of your ends in the long run at least. Again, I am so glad that you're back. :D Awwww, thank you the warm welcome to answering questions on how to grow thigh length hair or longer!:)

Yes! I really wish I had cut it back to tailbone instead, but I suppose more cut off means more old, possibly damaged hair gone! :) I'm glad to be back too, i don't know what happened xD At least it's reassuring that I spent 4 years growing long hair, and only less than half a year thinking about a shorter style. Just hoping my hair grows super fast now, haha! Also trying to not obsess about it too much because then it seems to never grow... We can do this :cool:

fairy_hair
June 22nd, 2017, 04:20 PM
Yes, that is so very true. I'm glad you decided to stick with it long aha! I have an aunt, and I had a 2nd cousin on my dad's side of the family that used to have hair as long as to a little bit passed their butts. I think it might have been to their thighs. Or, to the top of their thighs, and I'm figuring that I had inherited it from them as well!!!

I don't know about my genes because everyone cut their hair around waist or shorter, but yours sound fortunate! :D

Dark40
June 24th, 2017, 08:45 PM
Yes! I really wish I had cut it back to tailbone instead, but I suppose more cut off means more old, possibly damaged hair gone! :) I'm glad to be back too, i don't know what happened xD At least it's reassuring that I spent 4 years growing long hair, and only less than half a year thinking about a shorter style. Just hoping my hair grows super fast now, haha! Also trying to not obsess about it too much because then it seems to never grow... We can do this :cool:

Yeah, I bet you really do wish that you had cut it back to tailbone instead. That probably would have been a nice length for you! Well, at least you've gotten rid of the old damaged hairs is right!:) Wow, I'v been growing my hair for 6 years now ever since I joined the community back in 2010! I started out with a chin length bob, and now my hair reaches down to MBL!!! I am soooo happy and excited about that!:) I'm sure that now since all of the dead hairs are gone your hair will start to grow faster now!! Haha! Yeah, I know whatcha mean about trying not to obess over it. I just do my hair daily, and don't worry about it afterwards.

Dark40
June 24th, 2017, 08:46 PM
I don't know about my genes because everyone cut their hair around waist or shorter, but yours sound fortunate! :D

Oh, ok. Yeah, after I was born my aunt and cousin cut their hair really short but at least my mom often told me stories of them having extremely long hair though!

hypersensitive
June 25th, 2017, 01:58 AM
My hair was mid thigh, around fingertip length when I chopped to waist. I have no regrets and was very confident about the decision. I'm currently maintaining waist to hip and I'm loving it. The old length was just much too different to manage and I wasn't happy with the way it looked, both health wise and proportion wise. See my signature pictures for the before and after.

fairy_hair
June 25th, 2017, 04:08 AM
My hair was mid thigh, around fingertip length when I chopped to waist. I have no regrets and was very confident about the decision. I'm currently maintaining waist to hip and I'm loving it. The old length was just much too different to manage and I wasn't happy with the way it looked, both health wise and proportion wise. See my signature pictures for the before and after.

I completely understand why you cut it, no matter how beautiful it was before! :) The management of thigh length hair is drastically different to even hip length for me! Like, not being able to reach the ends of the hair with the comb properly, ahaa. I do plan to grow it back though, because it seems that however much easier it is to look after at hip... part of me clearly still wants it at thigh! :D Your hair looks wonderful at all of the lengths in your signature by the way! :O

Corvana
June 25th, 2017, 04:38 PM
I completely understand why you cut it, no matter how beautiful it was before! :) The management of thigh length hair is drastically different to even hip length for me! Like, not being able to reach the ends of the hair with the comb properly, ahaa. I do plan to grow it back though, because it seems that however much easier it is to look after at hip... part of me clearly still wants it at thigh! :D Your hair looks wonderful at all of the lengths in your signature by the way! :O

Maybe split the difference and maintain at classic for awhile?

ETA: Back maybe a year and a half ago when I was really debating growing my pixie out, I decided to try a long mohawk instead. I'd get the long hair I wanted in the middle, but the sides would still be shaved like I liked with my short hair. But after about 6 months-ish of that, I really knew that fully long hair (and VERY long, at that) was really and truly what I wanted. But if I hadn't spent that 6 months in the middle, I may still be chilling with a pixie wondering if I should grow my hair out! And of course, if I had decided I didn't want long hair again, I could always cut it back haha.