PDA

View Full Version : Natural "Fringe" Driving Me Nuts!

Peggy E.
October 26th, 2008, 12:29 PM
I need help here with my stupid naturally occurring "fringe" that grows down the front in what would for most people look like a "halo," but on me is simply sticking out wild hair. It's too short to fit into my "updo" styles; too long to ignore!

Looks a lot like it had been purposely cut, like so many of the "layered" styles we see here, but it's not. And it doesn't grow! It stays the same length, has a wave on each side, as my hair seems to have developed quite a bit of wavy-ness to it since LHC.

Sometimes I'll put both sides in pin curls/spit curls, which gives it a long spiral curl, but this doesn't often look "right" so much as "fussy."

But I really don't like it sticking out in pieces on the side of my face! And as it doesn't grow any longer than it is right now, it's not going to ever "fit in" with the styles I do.

Any advice on what to do with this?

Amara
October 26th, 2008, 12:55 PM
This might not be what you want to hear, but let me say it anyway:

love them! Some people work hard to get little whispies on the sides of their faces, for a romantic, messy look. Try to enjoy. :)

Does aloe vera and pins help? Pin them while still damp while gel/water and then unpin when dry?

freznow
October 26th, 2008, 01:00 PM
I have those too. They are annoying when I want a neat style! I tuck them behind my ears, and for the most part they stay and don't look bad... A bit of oil helps with the crazy wildness, somewhat.

But at that point... I do what amara advises. They actually do look pretty good. It's just a different style, not necessarily a bad one.

Tabitha
October 26th, 2008, 01:01 PM
Had you considered cutting it so it was short (above-eyebrows) fringe length? I have a short fringe and as another wavy, I'll admit I sometimes have to wash it and blow-dry it before the rest of my hair needs a wash, to get it looking respectable especially in humid weather, but I put up with that because I find the fringe flattering to my features. And because it's not growing anywhere, I'm not worried about damaging it for the very short time the blow-dryer's on it.

granitbaby
October 26th, 2008, 01:06 PM
I have this natural fringe too and I have decided just to embrace it. It would have looked so much better if there where some kind of wave to it, mine is just straight. Maybe you are more lucky!

ktani
October 26th, 2008, 04:27 PM
I used to hate mine but I accept it now. A lot of that has to do with the fact that since using catnip, some of it has grown in thicker and longer. I also use satin acetate pillow cases and no longer use a comb to pull those hairs into place.

It is a natural part of hair growth but sometimes it can be breakage too from rough handling of those areas.

Try oiling or a bit of gel, or just extra conditioner in those places and handle with care.

cocolover
October 26th, 2008, 06:05 PM
I have always had this, and it never seems to grow any longer....is that possible?!? Unless I want to totally slick my hair with STRONG gel, I will never be able to have nice sleek styles on my hair. I have no suggestions for you, but just wanted to say that I know how you feel. I have decided to just learn as many soft, loose, "wild" styles as I can and embrace my "baby hairs."

emeraldfaery
October 26th, 2008, 06:38 PM
I know just what you mean! These get on my nerves so bad! They are actually long enough to go into buns at first, but after a few minutes they're poking out and flying everywhere. I don't have any advice for you, sorry. I just deal with mine, ignore the mostly. Maybe try a headband or scarf? I use those or pin it up if I really need it out of my face.

embee
October 26th, 2008, 06:45 PM
I'll tell you what... you pass them over to me. I have only stick straight wispies that sometimes (when my hair is fresh-washed) frame my face most unbeautifully. I could do with some wavy ones... :)

--serious envy here--

jojo
October 27th, 2008, 08:26 PM
me too, mine grows no longer than my chin, its frizzy and drives me crazy AVG helps calm it down but only a bit or just put conditioner on and leave on over night (just on the fringe bit)

I know what you men though.x

JessTheMess
October 28th, 2008, 07:43 AM
UGHHH I hate these!!! I have them at the very front of my hairline. They don't grow any longer than about an inch, and if I pull my hair straight back without using gel, they make me look like I have a receding hairline:rolleyes:.

Wind Dragon
October 28th, 2008, 11:50 AM
I finally countered by cutting in a teeny bit of deliberate fringe to go with the accidental stuff. See the most recent couple of posts in my blog if you're brave, particularly the "reality check" photo. :face: