PDA

View Full Version : Preventing hair thinning and loss from hairstyle tension???

LillithTheFirst
June 18th, 2017, 04:25 PM
The longer my hair grows the more problems pop up. I'm pretty sure I've been experiencing some hair loss at the front of my hair line from tension from hairstyles. I generally just do a side braid. Buns sometimes, but I don't keep them up for long.
I've been thinking maybe just doing a single braid is too heavy and still produces tension at the front of my hairline. So I've been thinking of some half-up solutions for different stages of hair "cleanliness". Apart from re-assessing my hairstyles (give suggestions please!) what are some things I can do to help re-growth? Massage? any specific scalp treatments of essential oils?

Cheers!

Dendra
June 18th, 2017, 05:32 PM
I don't know much about this topic, having never had hair longer than BSL, but dividing your hair into multiple braids or buns, like you said, seems like a good way to go.

On days where I find buns slightly painful I throw my hair up in a peacock twist, with added mini claw clips to support all the extra tail, or do two English braids and then mini claw clip them to the back of my head.

Do you do coconut oil treatments? I imagine massaging oil into your scalp would feel good, as well as holding your head upside down for a couple of minutes at a time.

beneaththetrees
June 18th, 2017, 05:44 PM
I think there's a bun thread around here somewhere! I'll see if I can find it.

As far as other things to try, essential oils are great! Rosemary and peppermint, especially, are supposed to help with regrowth. There's a few articles floating around here on essential oils and other herbs, but you can also do a google search for some different ideas and cross-referencing. A few to get you started:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/content.php?r=44-Essential-Oils-For-Hair-Loss-and-Shedding-by-jessie58
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/content.php?r=43-Properties-of-Essential-Oils-by
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/content.php?r=42-A-semi0comprehensive-list-of-herbs-and-plants-for-haircare-by-Justme

You may have already seen all of these - they're right at the front of the articles section, but having them all together might be helpful.

Massaging is supposed to help, as well, and it feels really nice.

If you don't mind my asking, what's your diet like? Things like omega-3's and B vitamins can make a big difference if you're not getting a lot already.

Mostly, though, it sounds like changing up your hairstyles, so there's not constantly stress on one part of your hair, is going to help you the most. I've only dealt with thinning in a minor way, but it can be really crazy-making! Try not to stress about it too much, although I know that's easier said than done. :)

beneaththetrees
June 18th, 2017, 05:54 PM
I think this is the thread I was thinking of: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=112682

There's a lot of information to wade through, there though! I know the nautilus bun and the lazy wrap bun are both really popular if you like hair sticks, and they work with hair pins as well, so that might be a good place to start if you've never tried them before.

lithostoic
June 18th, 2017, 05:54 PM
French and Dutch braids are really good for dispersing weight, as are crown braids.

Garnetgem
June 18th, 2017, 09:08 PM
I think your referring to traction alopecia where a tension on the roots causes thinning over time..i had this last year i developed a bald patch from wearing a tight bun in the same area for me it was at the back of my head,its taken a whole year for it to fill in and only way to help recovery is to avoid the style that caused it..alternate styles but better still avoid any tension i now either wear it loose or a loose braid..

i never put oils or anything like that but growth in that area was slow to start but now 12 months on no bald patch but a thinned area with new frizz growing..so it does recover but slow...

lapushka
June 19th, 2017, 04:30 AM
The longer my hair grows the more problems pop up. I'm pretty sure I've been experiencing some hair loss at the front of my hair line from tension from hairstyles. I generally just do a side braid. Buns sometimes, but I don't keep them up for long.
I've been thinking maybe just doing a single braid is too heavy and still produces tension at the front of my hairline. So I've been thinking of some half-up solutions for different stages of hair "cleanliness". Apart from re-assessing my hairstyles (give suggestions please!) what are some things I can do to help re-growth? Massage? any specific scalp treatments of essential oils?

Cheers!

You're TBL, right? Are you ii or iii or i? If you are iii and bunning, depending on how iii you are that might create tension.

I do my styles tight (enough so nothing comes out), but not facelift-tight, if that makes sense.

Maybe changing it up more can help?

I have noticed that I've seem to have gotten more wispies the longer my hair has gotten, but I attribute that to the length difference most of all.