PDA

View Full Version : Hey bun hackers! Is this a new bun or you already have a name for it?

Serimel
June 18th, 2017, 01:57 AM
I've been wearing this bun for a couple of days now and it feel super comfortable on my head. I haven't seen any tutorials of a bun like this but I'm quite sure someone has created it before so please teach me if that's the case. :)

I start the bun like a lwb doing the first loop but instead of spinning the end around the base I pull it through the primary loop and then I loop it around the opposite side and again pull through the loop. I keep looping in a figure 8 motion until I've used all the length. (for my length basically only one full 8 ). I tuck the remaining ends under the bun and insert the stick from up making my way through the centre part of figure 8 and taking some canopy hair with me at the same time. (God I'm bad at explaining, hope you can make any sense of this). If you have longer length than me (I'm hip+) you can start with a bigger primary loop so you have enough space for more 8s around it.

Here's a picture of it:

http://i346.photobucket.com/albums/p440/Serimel/20170618_094506-1.jpg (http://s346.photobucket.com/user/Serimel/media/20170618_094506-1.jpg.html)

Simsy
June 18th, 2017, 02:05 AM
It looks kinda of like a Celtic knot, but seems to have a more square appearance. I like it.

Serimel
June 18th, 2017, 02:29 AM
It looks kinda of like a Celtic knot, but seems to have a more square appearance. I like it.

Thanks! :flower: It might look like celtic knot but I've understood that in celtic knot you don't pull the whole length through the primary loop and then the remainder of hair is circled around the base? In here you don't circle the length around the base at all but just keep looping and looping until there's no hair left.

likelikepenny
June 18th, 2017, 04:32 AM
It looks very elegant and victorian.

Sarahlabyrinth
June 18th, 2017, 05:07 AM
As far as I can tell, it's a new bun. You'll have to think of a name :)

Serimel
June 18th, 2017, 05:46 AM
It looks very elegant and victorian.

Thank you! :heartbeat

As far as I can tell, it's a new bun. You'll have to think of a name :)

Oh really, wow! :D

Hmmm... to my mind came the name "loopsy bun". But I'm not native English speaker so I don't know if it sounds funny or not appropriate? :D

Silverbleed
June 18th, 2017, 08:13 AM
I'd call it the Serimel bun if I was you :cool:
It looks really nice, I like the almost-square shape of it.

Wavelength
June 18th, 2017, 08:24 AM
It's very pretty! How about calling it the Square Knot bun?

Or maybe Sailor's Delight? :p

bparnell75
June 18th, 2017, 08:33 AM
I've been wearing this bun for a couple of days now and it feel super comfortable on my head. I haven't seen any tutorials of a bun like this but I'm quite sure someone has created it before so please teach me if that's the case. :)

I start the bun like a lwb doing the first loop but instead of spinning the end around the base I pull it through the primary loop and then I loop it around the opposite side and again pull through the loop. I keep looping in a figure 8 motion until I've used all the length. (for my length basically only one full 8 ). I tuck the remaining ends under the bun and insert the stick from up making my way through the centre part of figure 8 and taking some canopy hair with me at the same time. (God I'm bad at explaining, hope you can make any sense of this). If you have longer length than me (I'm hip+) you can start with a bigger primary loop so you have enough space for more 8s around it.

Here's a picture of it:

http://i346.photobucket.com/albums/p440/Serimel/20170618_094506-1.jpg (http://s346.photobucket.com/user/Serimel/media/20170618_094506-1.jpg.html)

It is lovely and I think it is new. Please post a tutorial. I would like to try it. Seems like it would be a stable bu for slippy hair. [mine]

Aredhel
June 18th, 2017, 10:21 AM
Oh my, that is one pretty bun, Serimel! I'd definitely consider naming it after yourself.:D Adding to what Silverbleed suggested, maybe the Serimel Knot Bun?

*waits for someone to make a video because I'm terrible at following written instructions:p*

FennFire911
June 18th, 2017, 12:40 PM
A Celtic knot has 3 sides, yours has 4. If it is indeed a new bun, maybe something referencing clover leaf, or lucky, or something. The Serimel Clover Leaf Bun. Give it a fancy name! Lol :)
I love it, can you make a video tutorial?

Serimel
June 18th, 2017, 01:02 PM
Thank you everyone for sweet comments and awesome ideas for a name! I'll sleep over it and get back to it tomorrow. For the moment I like Aredhel's suggestion "Serimel Knot Bun" but was also thinking about a shorter name like "Seribun". And sure I can make better instructions and video later as well! So excited! :D

meteor
June 18th, 2017, 01:07 PM
*waits for someone to make a video because I'm terrible at following written instructions:p*

^ That makes two of us! ;)

The bun looks amazing! :applause Like a Celtic knot bun with some figure-8 shaped looping added at the end? Beautiful!

beneaththetrees
June 18th, 2017, 01:12 PM
This looks awesome! I can't wait to see what you call it.

Unfortunately my MBL hair isn't quite long enough for it yet, because it looks really cool.

triumphator!
June 19th, 2017, 07:22 AM
Someone do a video! I can't follow written directions :p

reilly0167
June 19th, 2017, 07:32 AM

Here's a picture of it:

I love it, very pretty, almost looks like a basket weave to me.

bparnell75
June 19th, 2017, 08:28 AM
Thank you everyone for sweet comments and awesome ideas for a name! I'll sleep over it and get back to it tomorrow. For the moment I like Aredhel's suggestion "Serimel Knot Bun" but was also thinking about a shorter name like "Seribun". And sure I can make better instructions and video later as well! So excited! :D

WAiting with anticipation.

Wavelength
June 19th, 2017, 08:59 AM
Someone do a video! I can't follow written directions :p

I can usually follow directions, but I can't quite get the hang of how to recreate this bun from the description. So I also vote for a video tutorial, or failing that, diagrams!

Arctic
June 19th, 2017, 09:01 AM
I can usually follow directions, but I can't quite get the hang of how to recreate this bun from the description. So I also vote for a video tutorial, or failing that, diagrams!

Yes, the same. The figure 8 motion throws me off. I am imagining Serimel is sort of crocheting her hair then bunning it?

Wavelength
June 19th, 2017, 09:07 AM
Yes, the same. The figure 8 motion throws me off. I am imagining Serimel is sort of crocheting her hair then bunning it?

Possibly, but as you said, I can't quite figure out how the figure-8 transitions into a woven knot. Definitely a pretty bun though!

wispe
June 19th, 2017, 09:18 AM
I think I have it figured out, I will try to get a video up tonight, if I can shoot it clearly enough.

Kaorin
June 19th, 2017, 11:18 AM
@wispe I look forward to the video!

-

I also tried this but failed with understanding the written instructions. But the bun looks really pretty and like something that would look good with my hair also!

Serimel
June 19th, 2017, 03:00 PM
Hello everyone! I want to apologise for the poor written instructions and if they have caused headaches for anyone. I thought to make the video tutorial after I had my hair washed but didn't want to keep you waiting. So here's a very plain tutorial without any texts and presenting my hair at its worst state just prewash. (Sorry for that!) Usually I use a brush to smoothen the remaining tail before looping it and not to become so messy but I mostly wanted to give an idea of how it's done and not hassle with a brush in between.

My tutorial for the Serimel Bun:

https://youtu.be/b0KUATFL1_k

I'm really glad wispe if you can make a more professional tutorial that would be easier to follow than mine. I've never edited any videos and suck with computers so even just uploading this was a win for me! :D

I also wanted to note that for longer lengths the bun will look very different since there is more tail to loop around the primary knot/loop (sorry if I got the terms wrong) You will just keep pulling the tail through the loop from out to in switching from side to side and "climbing" upwards with every new loop. Also you have to make a looser first knot so you have enough space to pull the tail through several times.

Aredhel
June 19th, 2017, 03:06 PM
Hello everyone! I want to apologise for the poor written instructions and if they have caused headaches for anyone. I thought to make the video tutorial after I had my hair washed but didn't want to keep you waiting. So here's a very plain tutorial without any texts and presenting my hair at its worst state just prewash. (Sorry for that!) Usually I use a brush to smoothen the remaining tail before looping it and not to become so messy but I mostly wanted to give an idea of how it's done and not hassle with a brush in between.

I'm really glad wispe if you can make a more professional tutorial that would be easier to follow than mine. I've never edited any videos and suck with computers so even just uploading this was a win for me! :D

I also wanted to note that for longer lengths the bun will look very different since there is more tail to loop around the primary knot/loop (sorry if I got the terms wrong) You will just keep pulling the tail through the loop from out to in switching from side to side and "climbing" upwards with every new loop. Also you have to make a looser first knot so you have enough space to pull the tail through several times.

Ooooh okay, the going through all the loops was what I couldn't figure out, but this makes sense now! Very lovely... I shall have to try this tonight! :)

(PS - I actually like the way your bun looks so much more than the Celtic knot bun.:D)

Serimel
June 19th, 2017, 03:11 PM
Ooooh okay, the going through all the loops was what I couldn't figure out, but this makes sense now! Very lovely... I shall have to try this tonight! :)

(PS - I actually like the way your bun looks so much more than the Celtic knot bun.:D)

Oh thanks! :flower: I'm very happy you could make better sense of it now. :cheer:

ichosethis
June 19th, 2017, 03:12 PM
I've attempted it without comb or stick. My hair is sightly too short but if I pull the initial knot a little tighter I can get my ends to tuck after the second pull through and it feels like it would hold. The dogs asleep on me so I'm not testing with a stick because there's none at hand.

Your video is easy to follow without directions so good job!

Edit: looks like I didn't do the second pull through and I just folded the ends around and tucked at that point. I fished my ficcarisimo out from where it hid under the dog while attempting and it feels good.

Serimel
June 19th, 2017, 03:19 PM
I've attempted it without comb or stick. My hair is sightly too short but if I pull the initial knot a little tighter I can get my ends to tuck after the second pull through and it feels like it would hold. The dogs asleep on me so I'm not testing with a stick because there's none at hand.

Your video is easy to follow without directions so good job!

Thank you! Yes, you can actually make it really compact and sturdy if you pull it tighter. That's a good tip!

ichosethis
June 19th, 2017, 03:47 PM
I've also tried splitting in half (think disc bun) and using the right hand section to make the first loop and catch the other section then the pulled through bit gets incorporated into the second section and I can get more pull throughs. My ends don't stay tucked in any style so it doesn't look very good on me but it holds really well.

Serimel
June 19th, 2017, 03:57 PM
I've also tried splitting in half (think disc bun) and using the right hand section to make the first loop and catch the other section then the pulled through bit gets incorporated into the second section and I can get more pull throughs. My ends don't stay tucked in any style so it doesn't look very good on me but it holds really well.

Ooh that's very creative, I wouldn't have thought of that.

ichosethis
June 19th, 2017, 04:08 PM
Ooh that's very creative, I wouldn't have thought of that.

I only thought of it because I've recently learned the disc bun.

bparnell75
June 19th, 2017, 04:09 PM
After the visual aid of the video, was able to do this. I think this is a very stable bun, with no "butt" my kind of bun. Thank you.

Serimel
June 19th, 2017, 04:28 PM
After the visual aid of the video, was able to do this. I think this is a very stable bun, with no "butt" my kind of bun. Thank you.

Oh how wonderful! Glad the video was helpful!

vpatt
June 19th, 2017, 05:54 PM
Serimel.....great job on your video! I will try it soon.

EmbracetheHippy
June 19th, 2017, 08:12 PM

It's a gorgeous bun! Thank you so much for the video! I'm terrible at written instructions.

Alas, my hair is just long enough to make the first pull through, but that's about it. :(

I bookmarked it and will wish for my hair to grow, grow, grow so I can do a full Seribun!

Andthetalltrees
June 19th, 2017, 08:33 PM
Your hair is really pretty! I love the look of this maybe i'll try it when my hair is older ;)

Wavelength
June 19th, 2017, 08:47 PM
Thanks for the great video! Definitely going to attempt this one tomorrow.

MsPharaohMoan
June 19th, 2017, 10:54 PM
I did it! My hair is a bit longer so I just did the loop thingy twice like was shown in the video and then wrapped the rest of the length around the base. I'll try it again when my hair is dry and upload a pic :)

spirals
June 19th, 2017, 11:47 PM
Oh, you already named it. I was going to say the clover knot bun. Ah, well; whatever we call it, I like it.

Serimel
June 20th, 2017, 07:18 AM
Serimel.....great job on your video! I will try it soon.

Oh thank you, can't wait to see a pic! :blossom:

It's a gorgeous bun! Thank you so much for the video! I'm terrible at written instructions.

Alas, my hair is just long enough to make the first pull through, but that's about it. :(

I bookmarked it and will wish for my hair to grow, grow, grow so I can do a full Seribun!

Thanks! You'll get there sooner or later, don't worry! I like the way you said Seribun, *reconsidering name choice*... Well it's a good nickname for it at least, short and compact :D

Your hair is really pretty! I love the look of this maybe i'll try it when my hair is older ;)

Haha, please do! :D Thank you :flower:

Thanks for the great video! Definitely going to attempt this one tomorrow.

Yay, can't wait to here back! :)

I did it! My hair is a bit longer so I just did the loop thingy twice like was shown in the video and then wrapped the rest of the length around the base. I'll try it again when my hair is dry and upload a pic :)

Ohh I'd really like to see a pic of it! It must look beautiful with your hair :heartbeat

Oh, you already named it. I was going to say the clover knot bun. Ah, well; whatever we call it, I like it.

Yes, I didn't want to post a tutorial without a name so I went ahead haha. :D Also I didn't name it by the shape of it because it looks so different with longer lengths. Also this is the first hairdo I ever invented so I thought it will be appropriate to name it after myself like some people suggested. I will never find a new star or animal species to name so hey at least a bun XD So voilą, Serimel bun (or just shortly Seribun) was born.

ichosethis
June 20th, 2017, 10:30 AM
So I've been wearing this bun all morning with a shorter fork in it and its holding really well. I'll probably redo it before work but only because my hair looks like it needs a drop of oil to behave.

I split my hair in two sections, wrapped one like starting the LWB pulled the ends through and joined with the second section since my hair isn't quite long enough to complete a figure-8 and wrap my ends all in one go.

Serimel
June 20th, 2017, 11:17 AM
That's great, I'm glad you figured it out and it has been holding well! Good to know that with this little modification it can work on shorter length as well.

ichosethis
June 20th, 2017, 11:44 AM
So I've been wearing this bun all morning with a shorter fork in it and its holding really well. I'll probably redo it before work but only because my hair looks like it needs a drop of oil to behave.

I split my hair in two sections, wrapped one like starting the LWB pulled the ends through and joined with the second section since my hair isn't quite long enough to complete a figure-8 and wrap my ends all in one go.

CindyOfTheOaks
June 20th, 2017, 05:56 PM
I love this !
Got it up...checked it out in the mirror - really love it !
Then I pulled the stick out and ran it over under through the top sideways, for me it holds better.

Wavelength
June 20th, 2017, 06:44 PM
Well, I gave it a few attempts, but I had just washed my hair a day ago so it's still in that fluffy stage. Long story short, whenever I tried pulling it through a loop, half the loop would come along with it. :p

I'll give my hair another day or so to settle down and try again.

Serimel
June 20th, 2017, 10:09 PM
I love this !
Got it up...checked it out in the mirror - really love it !
Then I pulled the stick out and ran it over under through the top sideways, for me it holds better.

Pics pics! :) For the first times I did this bun I used the stick sideways but I have a thing for vertical stick styles so it's just a matter of taste that I published it secured vertically. I like it that people here know their hair so well and what works best for them and come up with new solutions. Bun hackers for real! :)

Well, I gave it a few attempts, but I had just washed my hair a day ago so it's still in that fluffy stage. Long story short, whenever I tried pulling it through a loop, half the loop would come along with it. :p

I'll give my hair another day or so to settle down and try again.

Okay, this is actually a real problem with this bun. I experienced it myself until I started paying close attention to holding the primary loop firmly with the non pulling hand every time and making sure that I have every single strand locked with my fingers. Same story with the tail, it's easy to lose some strands on the way, especially if you're pulling through a very tight loop. You could also try twisting the hair in the primary loop so the strands won't move so easily during the pulling motion. Even so it might be difficult to make it neat if you have layered hair. I personally like messy buns as long as it doesn't mean they're tangled buns.