PDA

View Full Version : Build Up Problems

likelikepenny
June 16th, 2017, 05:18 PM
Hi everyone,
I've had a long battle with build up on my hair. At this point, I'm so tired and frustrated and I have no idea what to do.

The problem: My hair is very dry, but everything that moisturizes, builds up very quickly. Conditioners, oils, flaxseed gel, etc.

I've noticed that conditioners without silicones don't build up as fast but still build up pretty quickly. Also, my hair needs a little bit of silicone or it's a knotty mess, but too much and it becomes dull and dry.

Clarifying as often as I need to, dries my hair out too much. As soon as my hair becomes moisturized, it starts building up and I have to clarify and start all over.

This means I only get one or two good hair days where my hair isn't frizzy and dry, whether due to build up or having just clarified.

Conditioners/Treatments I've Tried:

- Aussie Moist Conditioner
- Tresseme Perfectly Undone Conditioner
- Herbal Essences Hello Hydration

So far tresseme is what moisturizes the most and builds up the slowest, but I still have to clarify weekly. It's also the one that's cone free. I've been toying with the idea of water soluble cones but theres no drugstore brands that have those ingredients.

Please help?

ETA: I should add that I have very low porosity hair which is what I think is causing all of this.

Rebeccalaurenxx
June 16th, 2017, 05:25 PM
Maybe you should pay more attention to the type of cones instead of just using any cone?
I have seen members here that have worse build up based on the kind of cone they use: demthicone primarily being the worst.

I have the best experience when I use a conditioner without cones and then seal with cones.
So I used a cone free conditioner, currently I use liveclean, and then use Hask to seal.
Our hair types are different though, so although I get build up quickly, I use SLS often and clarify often because of SD.
So what I do might not work for you, but maybe someone else here can lead you in the right direction.

school of fish
June 16th, 2017, 06:32 PM
^^ Yes, I'm going to echo the note about experimenting with *specific* cones - they don't necessarily benefit equally on everyone. Unfortunately, being an individual thing, it likely means a lot of trial and error...

I've got the buildup/low porosity thing going on with my hair too, so I can empathize. I don't have your curls though, so my solution may not be yours, but for what it's worth my solution is daily washing with clear sulphate shampoo and rinse-out conditioning with a thick formulation conditioner that contains light silicone - I'll check which cone is in there and edit it back in, but my current HG set is Pantene Sheer Volume. I've used Perfectly UnDone and it did nicely for me, but it did build up in a few washes. The Sheer Volume combo doesn't seem to build up on me the same - Pantene Ice Shine was my HG for a long time before they changed the scent :( but the ingredients are VERY similar to Sheer Volume.

I've noticed that I seem to have a problem with polyquats in shampoos as well although for the life of me I can't figure out why. I just know that I get buildup symptoms off them so I avoid them.

I can't use leave-ins of any sort either - buildup city. In fact my own sebum builds up on its own without the very frequent washing - it's kind of impressive actually...

The daily wash frequency seems to hit the balance for me between stripping off the buildup and giving hair the moisture. My hair dries really quickly though, so it's not a chore to wash every day - I recognize that not everyone is able to do it for reasons of dry times and such.

Obsidian
June 16th, 2017, 06:34 PM
How often do you chelate? I get build up and use the same conditioners you do. Sometimes I have to clarify every time I wash but if I chelate, it really helps keep the build up in check. I also don't use oils or other products beside a little coney serum on the ends.

likelikepenny
June 16th, 2017, 07:08 PM
Maybe you should pay more attention to the type of cones instead of just using any cone?
I have seen members here that have worse build up based on the kind of cone they use: demthicone primarily being the worst.

I have the best experience when I use a conditioner without cones and then seal with cones.
So I used a cone free conditioner, currently I use liveclean, and then use Hask to seal.
Our hair types are different though, so although I get build up quickly, I use SLS often and clarify often because of SD.
So what I do might not work for you, but maybe someone else here can lead you in the right direction.

^^ Yes, I'm going to echo the note about experimenting with *specific* cones - they don't necessarily benefit equally on everyone. Unfortunately, being an individual thing, it likely means a lot of trial and error...

I've got the buildup/low porosity thing going on with my hair too, so I can empathize. I don't have your curls though, so my solution may not be yours, but for what it's worth my solution is daily washing with clear sulphate shampoo and rinse-out conditioning with a thick formulation conditioner that contains light silicone - I'll check which cone is in there and edit it back in, but my current HG set is Pantene Sheer Volume. I've used Perfectly UnDone and it did nicely for me, but it did build up in a few washes. The Sheer Volume combo doesn't seem to build up on me the same - Pantene Ice Shine was my HG for a long time before they changed the scent :( but the ingredients are VERY similar to Sheer Volume.

I've noticed that I seem to have a problem with polyquats in shampoos as well although for the life of me I can't figure out why. I just know that I get buildup symptoms off them so I avoid them.

I can't use leave-ins of any sort either - buildup city. In fact my own sebum builds up on its own without the very frequent washing - it's kind of impressive actually...

The daily wash frequency seems to hit the balance for me between stripping off the buildup and giving hair the moisture. My hair dries really quickly though, so it's not a chore to wash every day - I recognize that not everyone is able to do it for reasons of dry times and such.

Interesting. I do water rinses every other day and it helps to moisturize without adding more product to my hair.

From what I can deduce, with coney conditioners, my hair hates bis-aminopropyl dimethicone. It's in both the aussie moist, HEHH, and a load of other conditioners. Maybe I need to try a coney conditioner without this ingredient? I would love to try some conditioners with water soluble cones but no drug store conditioners carry them :(.

likelikepenny
June 16th, 2017, 07:09 PM
How often do you chelate? I get build up and use the same conditioners you do. Sometimes I have to clarify every time I wash but if I chelate, it really helps keep the build up in check. I also don't use oils or other products beside a little coney serum on the ends.

I'm not completely sure what "chelating" means, but I use ACV every wash.

Obsidian
June 16th, 2017, 07:13 PM
Chelating is the removal of hard water deposits, these deposits can not be washed away with regular clarifying shampoo. If you have hard water and mineral build up, it can make your hair dry, brittle and prone to build up. Two popular chelating shampoos are joico clarifying and paul mitchelle number three clarifying.
ACV rinses can help with the deposits not building up as fast but a occasional wash with chelating shampoo can make a huge difference in your hair.

MoonRabbit
June 16th, 2017, 08:31 PM
Interesting. I do water rinses every other day and it helps to moisturize without adding more product to my hair.

From what I can deduce, with coney conditioners, my hair hates bis-aminopropyl dimethicone. It's in both the aussie moist, HEHH, and a load of other conditioners. Maybe I need to try a coney conditioner without this ingredient? I would love to try some conditioners with water soluble cones but no drug store conditioners carry them :(.

Aussie 3 minute miracle moist conditioner doesn't contain bis-aminopropyl dimethicone. It's a lot thicker than the aussie moist since it is suppose to be a fast deep treatment, but I just use it as a rinse out every week. It does contain group 3 cones though.

I'll be limiting my individual cone use as well, since I have a similar problem. If I come up with anything I'll let you know.

Dark40
June 16th, 2017, 09:21 PM
How often do you use cones or silicones? Don't use them too often during the week. I only use them once or twice a week, and on the 5th day I use a shampoo or any kind. Or, I use a clarifying shampoo once a month.

Anje
June 16th, 2017, 10:00 PM
Have you tried something like SMTs as a deep treatment for moisture? They're good and should work fine in any climate, but you have to rinse them out fully. (There's a lot of stuff about humectants pulling moisture out of your hair in dry climates. That's true, if you leave them in. Once the humectant is washed away though, the moisture should remain.) I typically would use a light conditioner (Suave Naturals is my go-to) that doesn't really build up for me, but the honey really increases the moisturizing potential without adding much that could stay deposited on hair.

I typically would follow up with a bit of oil when the hair was damp or mostly dry, to help slow further moisture loss from the hair shaft. Oils are obviously individual, but choosing something with a low "iodine value" will reduce the chances that you'll end up with any polymerized hardened oil on your hair (the way it builds up around the stove if you're not careful), and therefore less buildup from that.

likelikepenny
June 17th, 2017, 04:44 AM
Chelating is the removal of hard water deposits, these deposits can not be washed away with regular clarifying shampoo. If you have hard water and mineral build up, it can make your hair dry, brittle and prone to build up. Two popular chelating shampoos are joico clarifying and paul mitchelle number three clarifying.
ACV rinses can help with the deposits not building up as fast but a occasional wash with chelating shampoo can make a huge difference in your hair.

I have relatively soft water but I do know our water has a lot of minerals in it such as iron etc. Maybe it's time I invest in a chelating shampoo?

Aussie 3 minute miracle moist conditioner doesn't contain bis-aminopropyl dimethicone. It's a lot thicker than the aussie moist since it is suppose to be a fast deep treatment, but I just use it as a rinse out every week. It does contain group 3 cones though.

I'll be limiting my individual cone use as well, since I have a similar problem. If I come up with anything I'll let you know.

I'll definitely have to try it. Hopefully it'll work out for me. Although I'm quite confused because even the tresseme perfectly undone silicone free conditioner builds up. Not as badly, but still. I'm starting to suspect the cetyl alcohol since it's coconut derived. Although, finding a conditioner without cetyl alcohol is close to impossible I'm sure.

How often do you use cones or silicones? Don't use them too often during the week. I only use them once or twice a week, and on the 5th day I use a shampoo or any kind. Or, I use a clarifying shampoo once a month.

I only use it once after I clarify.

Have you tried something like SMTs as a deep treatment for moisture? They're good and should work fine in any climate, but you have to rinse them out fully. (There's a lot of stuff about humectants pulling moisture out of your hair in dry climates. That's true, if you leave them in. Once the humectant is washed away though, the moisture should remain.) I typically would use a light conditioner (Suave Naturals is my go-to) that doesn't really build up for me, but the honey really increases the moisturizing potential without adding much that could stay deposited on hair.

I typically would follow up with a bit of oil when the hair was damp or mostly dry, to help slow further moisture loss from the hair shaft. Oils are obviously individual, but choosing something with a low "iodine value" will reduce the chances that you'll end up with any polymerized hardened oil on your hair (the way it builds up around the stove if you're not careful), and therefore less buildup from that.

I modify my SMT's as I'm a student and honey is expensive. I've used plain aloe gel in the past with some vegetable glycerin and conditioner. Maybe I need to try that again?

lapushka
June 17th, 2017, 05:43 AM
Maybe just clarify-wash more, especially if you are using a lot of moisturizing factors on the hair like you described. Maybe you could switch to double conditioning after washing (that takes away the dryness for me). And I sometimes only scalp-wash, sometimes do the lengths as well.

How, exactly, do you clarify?

likelikepenny
June 17th, 2017, 06:38 AM
Maybe just clarify-wash more, especially if you are using a lot of moisturizing factors on the hair like you described. Maybe you could switch to double conditioning after washing (that takes away the dryness for me). And I sometimes only scalp-wash, sometimes do the lengths as well.

How, exactly, do you clarify?

I just use a cheap SLS shampoo. I've tried WCC without shampoo but maybe it'll help.

Obsidian
June 17th, 2017, 07:08 AM
I have relatively soft water but I do know our water has a lot of minerals in it such as iron etc. Maybe it's time I invest in a chelating shampoo?

Lots of minerals in the water is the definition of hard water. Do you get white water rings on pots & pans? If you have a ulta near you, you can get the paul mitchell for around $10.

I just use a cheap SLS shampoo. I've tried WCC without shampoo but maybe it'll help.

I think lapushka mean how are you physically washing when clarifying? Are you applying plenty of shampoo and making sure you scrub the entire length of your hair? A quick scrub of mostly roots isn't really enough to properly clarify, the length needs extra attention.

ephemeri
June 17th, 2017, 07:20 AM
I'll throw this out there in case you haven't tried it:

Switch to a conditioner that has water-soluble silicones and then maybe co-wash once during the week, a few days after your normal clarify. I would try this for awhile if I were you because it will at least give you time to see if it's the cones that are causing the problem. Also lots of curlies do well with co-washing because it can be so moisturizing.

Do you have Target near you? RenPure's coconut conditioner has amodimethicone which some sources say evaporates off the hair/washes out easily. I think Target might have a few more options too, with drugstore prices.

likelikepenny
June 17th, 2017, 07:23 AM
Lots of minerals in the water is the definition of hard water. Do you get white water rings on pots & pans? If you have a ulta near you, you can get the paul mitchell for around $10.

I think lapushka mean how are you physically washing when clarifying? Are you applying plenty of shampoo and making sure you scrub the entire length of your hair? A quick scrub of mostly roots isn't really enough to properly clarify, the length needs extra attention.

I dilute my shampoo but I make sure to work it into the length. I live in a very rural area where we have a walmart, shoppers drug mart, and a winners. I'll check winners as they have more variety for higher end products.

I'll throw this out there in case you haven't tried it:

Switch to a conditioner that has water-soluble silicones and then maybe co-wash once during the week, a few days after your normal clarify. I would try this for awhile if I were you because it will at least give you time to see if it's the cones that are causing the problem. Also lots of curlies do well with co-washing because it can be so moisturizing.

Do you have Target near you? RenPure's coconut conditioner has amodimethicone which some sources say evaporates off the hair/washes out easily. I think Target might have a few more options too, with drugstore prices.

My scalp doesn't agree with co-washing but I've seen the RenPure line around and I've been searching for a conditioner with water soluble cones. I'll have to check it out.

Obsidian
June 17th, 2017, 07:29 AM
Look for swimmers shampoo, most of those also chelate. You know, I get build up just as bad or worse with cone free conditioners. I can't use the cheap ones like VO5 or suave, they make my hair waxy. SMT are another that just don't do it for me, leaves my hair in worse condition than before using it.

Is the clarifying shampoo you use transparent or pearly? If its pearly, it probably has cones in it. I can't use shampoo with cones, it contributes to the build up. I use sauve daily clarifying, No oils or cones in it. Sometimes the build up get so bad even that won't cut through it, about twice a year I have to use dawn dish soap. Dries my hair out some but it gets it clean.

lapushka
June 17th, 2017, 07:40 AM

I just meant it in general, what products, what technique, yes.

I sometimes do the scalp-only and sometimes the lengths, depends on a week by weekly basis (I weekly wash). Maybe clarifying *every* time you wash is just the way to go. And a cheap SL(E)S shampoo is fine!

lapushka
June 17th, 2017, 07:42 AM
I dilute my shampoo but I make sure to work it into the length. I live in a very rural area where we have a walmart, shoppers drug mar, and a winners. I'll check winners as they have more variety for higher end products.

I would stop diluting, and see if that changes anything. Change nothing else in your routine, but that, and see if it works better for you. It might be more drying, I'm not sure, but you'll have to combat that with a good couple of conditioners / masks.

likelikepenny
June 17th, 2017, 07:55 AM
Look for swimmers shampoo, most of those also chelate. You know, I get build up just as bad or worse with cone free conditioners. I can't use the cheap ones like VO5 or suave, they make my hair waxy. SMT are another that just don't do it for me, leaves my hair in worse condition than before using it.

Is the clarifying shampoo you use transparent or pearly? If its pearly, it probably has cones in it. I can't use shampoo with cones, it contributes to the build up. I use sauve daily clarifying, No oils or cones in it. Sometimes the build up get so bad even that won't cut through it, about twice a year I have to use dawn dish soap. Dries my hair out some but it gets it clean.

My shampoo is clear. I made sure to check the ingredients to make sure theres no cones.

Do you know why silicone free conditioners build up for you? I'm curious as it's always touted that they don't build up as badly as coney ones do.

I just meant it in general, what products, what technique, yes.

I sometimes do the scalp-only and sometimes the lengths, depends on a week by weekly basis (I weekly wash). Maybe clarifying *every* time you wash is just the way to go. And a cheap SL(E)S shampoo is fine!

I would stop diluting, and see if that changes anything. Change nothing else in your routine, but that, and see if it works better for you. It might be more drying, I'm not sure, but you'll have to combat that with a good couple of conditioners / masks.

I don't understand how using full strength shampoo would help? My hair is getting clean/stripped, it's just a matter of avoiding build up after that.

Obsidian
June 17th, 2017, 08:34 AM
My shampoo is clear. I made sure to check the ingredients to make sure theres no cones.

Do you know why silicone free conditioners build up for you? I'm curious as it's always touted that they don't build up as badly as coney ones do.

Unfortunately no, I haven't been able to figure out what ingredients in some cone free cond feel so waxy. Its not even that they build up, the heavy coated feeling is there as soon as I rinse out my hair. Even wet I can feel the waxy coating.

The perfectly undone doesn't do this and I can actually use sulfate free poo with it. I'm curious about trying a cetyl alcohol free conditioner, time do some research I guess.

lapushka
June 17th, 2017, 08:58 AM
I don't understand how using full strength shampoo would help? My hair is getting clean/stripped, it's just a matter of avoiding build up after that.

I can tell you, for my SD (seborrheic dermatitis)... I can't dilute any shampoos, so that says a little something as to the cleansing properties of diluting, for *me* at least. I don't know on anyone else without issues, but...

It's worth a try, at least, I think.

Obsidian
June 17th, 2017, 09:04 AM
Diluting doesn't work for me either, I need it full strength and plenty of it.

renia22
June 17th, 2017, 09:32 AM
Diluting makes a shampoo more gentle, but you're also diluting the effectiveness of the ingredients, so maybe wash as normal with the diluting , and don't use conditioner and see how it feels? Perhaps it's not as clarified as it seems? Then try full strength and see if that makes a difference?

Also lots of ingredients can build up, not just silicones. You mentioned in your post using other things that you had build up issues with. By any chance do you use oils or butters? I've personally noticed coconut oil and Shea butter cling to my hair like nobody's business. Coconut oil I can use sparingly, but I avoid shea like the plague. Doesn't wash out on me even with clarifying, I have to resort to oil treatments and jump through hoops to get that stuff out. Also non water soluble polyquats, which can be in "clear" shampoos that seems like they clarify because they are clear, but in actuality can built up. Also found in styling products. By any chance could you be using something like this too that's making things worse?

Also, are a couple of articles on build up and diluting shampoo from the science-y hair blog, she has some good info:

http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.com/2016/07/shampoos-which-remove-product-build-up.html?m=1

http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.com/2011/10/how-to-tame-strong-shampoo.html?m=1

likelikepenny
June 17th, 2017, 10:37 AM
Wow thank you for the links and the explanation.

I'm starting to suspect that maybe it's my water. Our iron content is so high you can actually taste it. I went to sciency hair blog and saw that you can use citric acid as a chelator. I think I may try it and see if that remedies my build up issue.

proo
June 17th, 2017, 10:47 AM
Not a fan of product and the inevitable buildup,
My quest is to moisturize with water, then lock it in by smoothing the cuticle sans product
so here's what works for me on a monthly wash day:
Highly dilute sls wash/rinse followed by catnip/vinegar conditioning, followed by cold final rinse;
I add about 4 drops MO at the end to my rinse water and swirl my ends in it.
Typically I turban it in silky scarves till about 90% dry, then doobie wrap it.
Loving the results: very smooth and hydrated

likelikepenny
June 17th, 2017, 11:22 AM
Not a fan of product and the inevitable buildup,
My quest is to moisturize with water, then lock it in by smoothing the cuticle sans product
so here's what works for me on a monthly wash day:
Highly dilute sls wash/rinse followed by catnip/vinegar conditioning, followed by cold final rinse;
I add about 4 drops MO at the end to my rinse water and swirl my ends in it.
Typically I turban it in silky scarves till about 90% dry, then doobie wrap it.
Loving the results: very smooth and hydrated

I've tried something similar to this and it didn't seem to work. However, if my water is the issue, perhaps something as simple would work for me.

Anje
June 18th, 2017, 07:34 AM
I modify my SMT's as I'm a student and honey is expensive. I've used plain aloe gel in the past with some vegetable glycerin and conditioner. Maybe I need to try that again?
I was never fond of the way glycerin behaved in my hair. I'd suggest corn syrup or pancake syrup as a replacement for honey instead. Molasses is good too for dark hair, but I'm not sure it's any cheaper than honey. It seems like all those sugar steps are pretty similar as humectants.

likelikepenny
June 18th, 2017, 08:31 AM
I was never fond of the way glycerin behaved in my hair. I'd suggest corn syrup or pancake syrup as a replacement for honey instead. Molasses is good too for dark hair, but I'm not sure it's any cheaper than honey. It seems like all those sugar steps are pretty similar as humectants.

I have molasses in my house I believe. I could always give it another try.

likelikepenny
June 18th, 2017, 08:32 AM
So at this point, I'm sure that hard water build up is the problem. I checked around and apparently we have some pretty hard water.

I have distilled water and I'm going to use lemon juice as mentioned in sciency hair blog to chelate. I'll be updating when I'm done.

school of fish
June 18th, 2017, 08:58 AM
For the record, I have also found our water to be an issue for me, and *extremely* diluted acidic rinses after every wash and not rinsed out have been quite helpful. Good luck with your next experiments! :D

proo
June 18th, 2017, 09:12 AM
Wrapping in a silky scarf is an important part of my method;
I often do a wrap as a conditioning treatment for about half an hour when I'm home.
It does wonders in laying the cuticle without product.
Sometimes I silk wrap with Saran Wrap.
This is all done on dry hair

proo
June 18th, 2017, 02:15 PM
I like protective princess on YouTube-
Lots of great techniques for fine, low porosity 4c hair without a ton of product.

mistythebandit
June 24th, 2017, 04:26 PM
Apple cider vinegar rinses are my go-to when I'm having build up problems. It balances the ph of your scalp, which hair products throw off.

likelikepenny
July 2nd, 2017, 12:59 PM
Update:

I finally got around to chelating with a DIY mixture of 4 parts distilled water to one part lemon juice. After applying the mixture I noticed my hair was a lot shinier and softer. I honestly never knew my hair could be so soft as I have course hair, but apparently it can.

I rinsed the lemon juice mixture out with our tap (well) water and ACV. My hair is unbelievably shiny. I applied a deep conditioner as my hair can be on the drier side and I didn't want to risk going without it due to the lemon. I used distilled water to style my hair as well and it's so much softer and moisturized. Plus my frizz has gone down a lot.

Thank you to all for the advice. I've been struggling with this for the past two years and could never figure it out. Thank you all so much. :)

Wildcat Diva
July 2nd, 2017, 02:24 PM
I would recommend a chelating shampoo.

I can barely do anything to my hair without buildup. Chelating shampoos always make it better but that doesn't last long for me. I can't chelate often enough to enjoy the effect because it would be too harsh on mynhair. My hair is almost always super tangly.

I've experimented with "miracle water" (you can search that here) but I don't really have time for all that.

proo
July 2nd, 2017, 02:45 PM
Wonderful likelikepenny-
Personally I mostly love the constant tweaking required with using less product.
Have you tried MO as a leave-in?
I find it highly effective without building up

likelikepenny
July 2nd, 2017, 06:17 PM
I would recommend a chelating shampoo.

I can barely do anything to my hair without buildup. Chelating shampoos always make it better but that doesn't last long for me. I can't chelate often enough to enjoy the effect because it would be too harsh on mynhair. My hair is almost always super tangly.

I've experimented with "miracle water" (you can search that here) but I don't really have time for all that.

I actually read that thread before trying lemon juice. I live in a rural area and I only have two litres of distilled water at the moment. My only thing is I'm not a fan of mermaid rinses/cup rinses on the regular, it would take too much time.

I think if I use a vinegar rinse and leave it in and/or a lemon rinse once a week. I may be ok. We have hard water but it's not exceptionally hard so I'm going to experiment and see how long it takes for my hair to get mineral build up and then do a lemon juice rinse again.

I plan on buying a chelating shampoo, but so far, I really like the lemon as I could use it often without it drying out my hair too much. Which chelating shampoo do you use? I've seen a lot of people saying they love the joico k-pack but it's a little bit pricy.

Wonderful likelikepenny-
Personally I mostly love the constant tweaking required with using less product.
Have you tried MO as a leave-in?
I find it highly effective without building up

I love mineral oil for ROO, although I'm currently out. I'll have to restock :)

Wildcat Diva
July 2nd, 2017, 08:36 PM
I have used several. I use joico most regularly. There is a Malibu brandI used also that is good.

likelikepenny
July 2nd, 2017, 09:01 PM
I have used several. I use joico most regularly. There is a Malibu brandI used also that is good.

I'll have to check out the malibu one, thanks!

proo
July 3rd, 2017, 03:30 PM
Are you stretching your hair?
Imho any conditioner causes buildup and attracts dirt/lint;
My goal (which sounds a lot like yours) is to hydrate, then LAY that cuticle down tightly and keep it there.
In my experience products are just not very good at that, I must accomplish it mechanically.
The softness and slip are good indications of hydration and nice laid cuticles and I'll bet your lemon rinse is the culprit.

likelikepenny
July 3rd, 2017, 06:20 PM
Are you stretching your hair?
Imho any conditioner causes buildup and attracts dirt/lint;
My goal (which sounds a lot like yours) is to hydrate, then LAY that cuticle down tightly and keep it there.
In my experience products are just not very good at that, I must accomplish it mechanically.
The softness and slip are good indications of hydration and nice laid cuticles and I'll bet your lemon rinse is the culprit.

I don't purposefully stretch my hair but it does get stretched out after bunning.

The lemon really helped to chelate my hair, removing all the mineral build up.

I've actually only just realized that my hair isn't a fan of leave in conditioner, it builds up way too quickly. I use to wash and leave it in and wonder why I had to clarify every week.

Now, I "co-wash", use an ACV rinse and then flaxseed gel to define my curls. It's working a lot better and I don't seem to be getting product build up.

BookishRay
July 3rd, 2017, 08:50 PM
If hard water is the issue, you can buy a shower head with a filter. I recently bought on at Wal-Mart for less than $30.00. (That's not a plug for Wal-Mart or the shower head I bought, just my person experience saying it didn't cost as much as I thought it might.) I've only used it a couple of times and it seems to help. I know money can be really tight as a student, but you could count it as an investment. ;)

likelikepenny
July 4th, 2017, 05:25 AM
If hard water is the issue, you can buy a shower head with a filter. I recently bought on at Wal-Mart for less than $30.00. (That's not a plug for Wal-Mart or the shower head I bought, just my person experience saying it didn't cost as much as I thought it might.) I've only used it a couple of times and it seems to help. I know money can be really tight as a student, but you could count it as an investment. ;)

I've heard filters only work for removing chlorine and other chemicals. We don't have any of those, just a lot of minerals such as calcium and iron.

proo
July 4th, 2017, 07:46 AM
May seem luxurious, but could you always use distilled water?
I use it when I'm indulging myself in a spa thang-
Waaay more economical than any commercial product.
I also have found that it takes a few washes to really remove all product when you're not stripping it, ongoing process, not a one-shot.

likelikepenny
July 4th, 2017, 08:55 AM
May seem luxurious, but could you always use distilled water?
I use it when I'm indulging myself in a spa thang-
Waaay more economical than any commercial product.
I also have found that it takes a few washes to really remove all product when you're not stripping it, ongoing process, not a one-shot.

I wish. I think I'll use it once a week though on my deep treatment day. I usually only wash 2-3 times a week anyway.

I plan on chelating once a week for a little bit to try and remove all the build up as I think you're right in the fact that years of mineral build up can't be stripped with one treatment.

Kaya
July 4th, 2017, 08:59 AM
I've heard filters only work for removing chlorine and other chemicals. We don't have any of those, just a lot of minerals such as calcium and iron.

There are in fact filters designed for hard water. They may not be easy to find in stores, but online they can be found. I have one I ordered through Amazon to combat the hard water here.