PDA

View Full Version : low porosity and THIRSTY

ghanima
June 16th, 2017, 11:37 AM
So I am one of those people who wash their hair because the points are too dry, not because the roots are too greasy. My hair are thirsty! and everything sits on them, in fact I keep trying products that don't make much of a difference.

Ruling out heat caps because it's summer and I couldn't stand more heat, and ruling out BS because I don't wanna ruin them, what can I do to help products go through the shafts? or is heat the only chance I've got?

Andthetalltrees
June 16th, 2017, 01:44 PM
I have low porosity and very dry hair. I didn't think products matter much until I found Aussie moist(It has cones so it's probably not for everyone)! Plus conditioning twice after washing, putting oil AND leave-in after I wash. My hair feels sort of weighed down now but after awhile of doing this my hair is actually moisturized and soft so I've learned to deal with it( I can deal with slightly oily feeling hair over it feeling like wire)

Kat-Rinnè Naido
June 16th, 2017, 02:13 PM
I have low porosity hair. I found coconut milk or cream deep treatments a great help. I always apply a leave-in conditioner after wash and use extra oil and cream in my LOC. This helps keeps my hair moisturised for an entire week.

Chromis
June 16th, 2017, 02:13 PM
It will likely be of help if you tell us your current routine and what you have already tried so that we aren't just throwing suggestions at you that you have already ruled out. :flower:

likelikepenny
June 16th, 2017, 04:55 PM
How often do you clarify? I have to clarify often since I get build up quickly and nothing will penetrate my hair.

ghanima
June 16th, 2017, 05:29 PM
I haven't yet settled for a routine, I am still experimenting. Even if I have been posting since 2015 I actually got serious with my hair only this winter.
Maybe there is some improvement and I was too pessimistic earlier, but I feel that I should definitely find a way to make the products penetrate better. I think that heat would work, for ex. when I have oiled my hair with warmed oil the difference has been striking, now finally it got absorbed! but I was fishing for something alternative, as it's so hot these days.

So far the two methods that have stuck with me are WCC and CO, both including ROO, and followed by LOC.
And so far I have stayed away from silicones as I reckon I don't really need to close that shaft even further. Although today I bought some new stuff with silicones, to try that out anyway.
The shampoo I've used lately is Timotei Shampoo Pure Nutrition et Légéreté (https://www.amazon.fr/Timotei-Shampoing-Nutrition-L%C3%A9g%C3%A8ret%C3%A9-300ml/dp/B019JWQZLC), diluted. The conditioners, Timotei Après Shampoing Pure Nutrition & Légèreté (https://www.amazon.fr/Timotei-Apr%C3%A8s-Shampoing-Nutrition-L%C3%A9g%C3%A8ret%C3%A9/dp/B019JWQZKI/ref=pd_bxgy_194_img_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=CHG3584K6EAZATNTW01V) as first conditioner, which my hair likes a lot, even if it's a very simple product, and Franck Provost - Expert Nutrition+ Après-Shampooing Soin Professionnel (https://www.amazon.fr/Franck-Provost-Nutrition-Apr%C3%A8s-Shampooing-Professionnel/dp/B005GZHZ20/ref=sr_1_4?s=beauty&ie=UTF8&qid=1497654129&sr=1-4&keywords=franck+provost+nutrition) as a second conditioner. I've also used both conditioners for CO. As ROO, after some experimenting I have settled with baby oil. For LOC, I have used Fox's Shea Butter Conditioning Cream, with some extra conditioner to help distributing, and Eco Styler Gel Coiffant à Base d'huile d'olive (https://www.amazon.fr/Eco-Styler-Coiffant-dhuile-dolive/dp/B004X8KOEC/ref=sr_1_1?s=beauty&ie=UTF8&qid=1497654681&sr=1-1&keywords=gel+olive+oil). Lately, I also just used conditioner and gel.

Between washes I spray sometimes my points with water and add oils but they sit on them, it's not a real improvement.
With WCC my points feel dry only after 4-5 days, with CO it happens faster. But my hair are just APL, I don't feel that my points should get dry so easily at this length. As I said, when I change products I don't see much difference of one from the other, and if I try to go a little more heavy with them, to get the hair more moisturized, they look immediately greasy.
For DT, I have done for a long time pre-poo damp oiling, but lately I stopped tbh. I bought just today the Aussie Soin intensif 3 Minutes Miracle Moisture (https://www.amazon.fr/Aussie-intensif-Minutes-Moisture-assoiff%C3%A9s/dp/B01AHMT9YS/ref=sr_1_2?s=beauty&ie=UTF8&qid=1497655546&sr=1-2&keywords=aussie+3+minute+miracle).

Ah, and the part that's the driest is the end of the canopy, because I have grown out layers, maybe that's also to consider. Maybe I could cut some length there. But when the hair are just washed, the canopy is soft so maybe it's not really damaged. It's just very thirsty.

The times that my hair has looked best have been when I clarified and used no conditioner at all. But then it's not sustainable, also because it's a detangling nightmare not to have a conditioner for a 3a like me.

likelikepenny
June 16th, 2017, 05:46 PM
I think your problem may be build up. That seems like a lot to put on your hair especially when your hair naturally doesn't absorb things well.

ghanima
June 16th, 2017, 06:23 PM
Oh... what would you suggest I take away?

Anje
June 16th, 2017, 06:26 PM
I agree on the buildup possibility. I'd suggest using a sulfate shampoo (Does yours have sodium laureth sulfate? I'm not sure I found the right INCI. It might be good to use a different clarifying shampoo, but I'd probably try your normal one first if it has sulfates.), full strength, applied directly to the length and ends of your hair. Lather it gently but thoroughly, then rinse it out and repeat the process. The goal is to really get all the conditioner and products that may have been on your ends washed off, so focus on them instead of on your scalp like you would for a normal wash.

After that, I'd suggest you deep condition, perhaps with the 3 Minute Miracle. Leave it in for up to 30 minutes, then rinse it out. If all goes well, your hair will have less gunk on the ends preventing it from absorbing moisture, and then the deep conditioning should be able to help it more than it could before.

Let us know how well it works. :)

CoveredByLove
June 16th, 2017, 06:31 PM
I also have 3a and very low porosity hair. :flower: What I have found works best for me is NO PROTEIN. Only occasional gelatin treatments...and I do mean occasional. Check your ingredients for proteins (usually start with the word "hydrolyzed") LP hair maintains moisture levels best by focusing on products that work on the OUTSIDE of the hair instead of trying to penetrate the INSIDE. This blog helped me so much in understanding my hair. I hope it helps you! Leaving a little conditioner in my hair and adding flaxseed gel on top do wonders for my thirsty ends!

http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.com/2014/07/moisturizing-low-porosity-hair.html

ghanima
June 16th, 2017, 07:04 PM
I agree on the buildup possibility. I'd suggest using a sulfate shampoo (Does yours have sodium laureth sulfate? I'm not sure I found the right INCI. It might be good to use a different clarifying shampoo, but I'd probably try your normal one first if it has sulfates.), full strength, applied directly to the length and ends of your hair. Lather it gently but thoroughly, then rinse it out and repeat the process. The goal is to really get all the conditioner and products that may have been on your ends washed off, so focus on them instead of on your scalp like you would for a normal wash.

After that, I'd suggest you deep condition, perhaps with the 3 Minute Miracle. Leave it in for up to 30 minutes, then rinse it out. If all goes well, your hair will have less gunk on the ends preventing it from absorbing moisture, and then the deep conditioning should be able to help it more than it could before.

Let us know how well it works. :)
Thank you, that's very straightforward advice. I'll do that and report. Yes, the shampoo is SLS.

ghanima
June 16th, 2017, 07:08 PM
I also have 3a and very low porosity hair. :flower: What I have found works best for me is NO PROTEIN. Only occasional gelatin treatments...and I do mean occasional. Check your ingredients for proteins (usually start with the word "hydrolyzed") LP hair maintains moisture levels best by focusing on products that work on the OUTSIDE of the hair instead of trying to penetrate the INSIDE. This blog helped me so much in understanding my hair. I hope it helps you! Leaving a little conditioner in my hair and adding flaxseed gel on top do wonders for my thirsty ends!

http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.com/2014/07/moisturizing-low-porosity-hair.html
Thank you for the article, I will read it now. In the shampoo and in one of the conditioners there is coconut, a part from that I haven't tried proteins so far because I was focused on moisturizing first. Good to know!

CoveredByLove
June 16th, 2017, 07:24 PM
Thank you for the article, I will read it now. In the shampoo and in one of the conditioners there is coconut, a part from that I haven't tried proteins so far because I was focused on moisturizing first. Good to know!

You're welcome! :) Coconut oil tends to make my ends feel stiff, dry, and coarse. I can use it occasionally mixed in with other things, but never straight.

Kat-Rinnè Naido
June 17th, 2017, 01:22 AM
I haven't yet settled for a routine, I am still experimenting. Even if I have been posting since 2015 I actually got serious with my hair only this winter.
Maybe there is some improvement and I was too pessimistic earlier, but I feel that I should definitely find a way to make the products penetrate better. I think that heat would work, for ex. when I have oiled my hair with warmed oil the difference has been striking, now finally it got absorbed! but I was fishing for something alternative, as it's so hot these days.

So far the two methods that have stuck with me are WCC and CO, both including ROO, and followed by LOC.
And so far I have stayed away from silicones as I reckon I don't really need to close that shaft even further. Although today I bought some new stuff with silicones, to try that out anyway.
The shampoo I've used lately is Timotei Shampoo Pure Nutrition et Légéreté (https://www.amazon.fr/Timotei-Shampoing-Nutrition-L%C3%A9g%C3%A8ret%C3%A9-300ml/dp/B019JWQZLC), diluted. The conditioners, Timotei Après Shampoing Pure Nutrition & Légèreté (https://www.amazon.fr/Timotei-Apr%C3%A8s-Shampoing-Nutrition-L%C3%A9g%C3%A8ret%C3%A9/dp/B019JWQZKI/ref=pd_bxgy_194_img_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=CHG3584K6EAZATNTW01V) as first conditioner, which my hair likes a lot, even if it's a very simple product, and Franck Provost - Expert Nutrition+ Après-Shampooing Soin Professionnel (https://www.amazon.fr/Franck-Provost-Nutrition-Apr%C3%A8s-Shampooing-Professionnel/dp/B005GZHZ20/ref=sr_1_4?s=beauty&ie=UTF8&qid=1497654129&sr=1-4&keywords=franck+provost+nutrition) as a second conditioner. I've also used both conditioners for CO. As ROO, after some experimenting I have settled with baby oil. For LOC, I have used Fox's Shea Butter Conditioning Cream, with some extra conditioner to help distributing, and Eco Styler Gel Coiffant à Base d'huile d'olive (https://www.amazon.fr/Eco-Styler-Coiffant-dhuile-dolive/dp/B004X8KOEC/ref=sr_1_1?s=beauty&ie=UTF8&qid=1497654681&sr=1-1&keywords=gel+olive+oil). Lately, I also just used conditioner and gel.

Between washes I spray sometimes my points with water and add oils but they sit on them, it's not a real improvement.
With WCC my points feel dry only after 4-5 days, with CO it happens faster. But my hair are just APL, I don't feel that my points should get dry so easily at this length. As I said, when I change products I don't see much difference of one from the other, and if I try to go a little more heavy with them, to get the hair more moisturized, they look immediately greasy.
For DT, I have done for a long time pre-poo damp oiling, but lately I stopped tbh. I bought just today the Aussie Soin intensif 3 Minutes Miracle Moisture (https://www.amazon.fr/Aussie-intensif-Minutes-Moisture-assoiff%C3%A9s/dp/B01AHMT9YS/ref=sr_1_2?s=beauty&ie=UTF8&qid=1497655546&sr=1-2&keywords=aussie+3+minute+miracle).

Ah, and the part that's the driest is the end of the canopy, because I have grown out layers, maybe that's also to consider. Maybe I could cut some length there. But when the hair are just washed, the canopy is soft so maybe it's not really damaged. It's just very thirsty.

The times that my hair has looked best have been when I clarified and used no conditioner at all. But then it's not sustainable, also because it's a detangling nightmare not to have a conditioner for a 3a like me.

Hi!
When you use the LOC styling method after wash, you must also LOC your canopy.

I had the same issue with my canopy. They get dry and dehydrated fast as they are more exposed, especially if you have baby hairs that are short. But once I started to seal the moisture in on my canopy my hair feels like a new head.
Good luck.

Kat-Rinnè Naido
June 17th, 2017, 01:37 AM
You're welcome! :) Coconut oil tends to make my ends feel stiff, dry, and coarse. I can use it occasionally mixed in with other things, but never straight.

I also use coconut oil diluted with another oil. I found my hair also got dehydrated when I used straight coconut oil. At first after application it felt hydrated, but by the next day my hair was thirsty and felt dry pretty soon my ends began feeling crunchy. I found that I can only use the Fox's shea conditioning cream in winter not summer.

When using anything on your hair; if your hair feels great 1st day 2nd day then those are keepers. Just observe everything how your hair reacts and adjust.

ghanima
June 17th, 2017, 03:38 AM
I have low porosity hair. I found coconut milk or cream deep treatments a great help. I always apply a leave-in conditioner after wash and use extra oil and cream in my LOC. This helps keeps my hair moisturised for an entire week.
I would LOVE to try coconut milk for a DT, do you add anything to it or is it just straight coconut milk?

Hi!
When you use the LOC styling method after wash, you must also LOC your canopy.
I had the same issue with my canopy. They get dry and dehydrated fast as they are more exposed, especially if you have baby hairs that are short. But once I started to seal the moisture in on my canopy my hair feels like a new head.
Good luck.
Yes I do apply the LOC to the canopy too

I don't tend to use coconut oil often, honestly it doesn't do much for me either, so I may dump that conditioner when it's finished, I haven't noticed anything adverse, it's just the hair stay soft for two days and no more than that.

I also use coconut oil diluted with another oil. I found my hair also got dehydrated when I used straight coconut oil. At first after application it felt hydrated, but by the next day my hair was thirsty and felt dry pretty soon my ends began feeling crunchy. I found that I can only use the Fox's shea conditioning cream in winter not summer.
When using anything on your hair; if your hair feels great 1st day 2nd day then those are keepers. Just observe everything how your hair reacts and adjust.
Yeah I just finished my batch of Fox's Shea Butter and wasn't planning to make another one until september, tbh I'm not even sure it's too good for my hair anyway, as it may be a little too rich. I had read about mixing coconut oil with other oils and I might give that a try, heating the oil. do you use it on dry or damp hair?
All the products I have been using give good results the 1st and 2nd day, unless I get it too far and get my hair too greasy, but that's just incorrect application. But I feel my hair should stay moisturized for a whole week. Either that or I should find something that moisturizes them effectively intra-wash, as a before bedtime wash. But then, build-up.

ghanima
June 17th, 2017, 03:42 AM
I have low porosity and very dry hair. I didn't think products matter much until I found Aussie moist(It has cones so it's probably not for everyone)! Plus conditioning twice after washing, putting oil AND leave-in after I wash. My hair feels sort of weighed down now but after awhile of doing this my hair is actually moisturized and soft so I've learned to deal with it( I can deal with slightly oily feeling hair over it feeling like wire)
What is the difference between Aussie Moist and Aussie 3MM Moisture? I saw both of them in the supermarket and bought the latter, but I could try yours too.

ghanima
June 17th, 2017, 03:45 AM
How often do you clarify? I have to clarify often since I get build up quickly and nothing will penetrate my hair.
How often do you clarify?

likelikepenny
June 17th, 2017, 04:51 AM
How often do you clarify?

When my hair starts to feel dry and coated, so weekly. I'm having a lot of problems with build up lately. I need to find a new conditioner so I can clarify less. Stripping moisture from my curls weekly isn't an option but having dry, dull hair isn't an option either.

ETA: You can actually read my post on the mane forum "build up problems" and see if any of your symptoms match.

ghanima
June 17th, 2017, 05:07 AM
Ah... thanks I'll definitely look for it.
When I WCC I clarify every week too, so I have been away from that becuase I CO-washed no more than a couple of weeks. I think I am probably over-working it right after. Before wash, my hair feel kinda waxy.

lapushka
June 17th, 2017, 06:35 AM
So I am one of those people who wash their hair because the points are too dry, not because the roots are too greasy. My hair are thirsty! and everything sits on them, in fact I keep trying products that don't make much of a difference.

Ruling out heat caps because it's summer and I couldn't stand more heat, and ruling out BS because I don't wanna ruin them, what can I do to help products go through the shafts? or is heat the only chance I've got?

I would just spritz the ends with some water and put some leave-in on the ends. And wash when your roots are getting oily. That is typically how you refresh a style before it's "time" to wash.

ghanima
June 17th, 2017, 03:27 PM
Last day when I splurged in coney stuff (it was my birthday :p) I also bought this Elsève Huile Extraordinaire Huile-en-Crème Cheveux Très Secs (http://www.beaute-test.com/huile-en-creme_cheveux_tres_secs_ou_frises_-_huile_extraordinaire_elseve_l_oreal.php). I wouldn't know if to categorize it as a leave-in, it's kind of light and easy to distribute despite being rich. What do you think? I got too stuck with the idea of using oils for the daily spritzes, which don't work, so time to change! it smells good too...

lapushka
June 17th, 2017, 03:45 PM
Last day when I splurged in coney stuff (it was my birthday :p) I also bought this Elsève Huile Extraordinaire Huile-en-Crème Cheveux Très Secs (http://www.beaute-test.com/huile-en-creme_cheveux_tres_secs_ou_frises_-_huile_extraordinaire_elseve_l_oreal.php). I wouldn't know if to categorize it as a leave-in, it's kind of light and easy to distribute despite being rich. What do you think? I got too stuck with the idea of using oils for the daily spritzes, which don't work, so time to change! it smells good too...

That would be very nice to re-moisturize with, IMO. But something tells me you don't need that much of it!

Kat-Rinnè Naido
June 17th, 2017, 06:10 PM
I would LOVE to try coconut milk for a DT, do you add anything to it or is it just straight coconut milk?

Yes I do apply the LOC to the canopy too

I don't tend to use coconut oil often, honestly it doesn't do much for me either, so I may dump that conditioner when it's finished, I haven't noticed anything adverse, it's just the hair stay soft for two days and no more than that.

Yeah I just finished my batch of Fox's Shea Butter and wasn't planning to make another one until september, tbh I'm not even sure it's too good for my hair anyway, as it may be a little too rich. I had read about mixing coconut oil with other oils and I might give that a try, heating the oil. do you use it on dry or damp hair?
All the products I have been using give good results the 1st and 2nd day, unless I get it too far and get my hair too greasy, but that's just incorrect application. But I feel my hair should stay moisturized for a whole week. Either that or I should find something that moisturizes them effectively intra-wash, as a before bedtime wash. But then, build-up.

Hi ghanima!
I have used the coconut milk and honey, coconut milk and malt syrup, coconut milk and egg and coconut milk and oils. Also I have used just plain coconut milk on its own. The malt, egg and milk on its own worked well. I use the coconut treatment in winter and spring. I cannot use it in summer because of our high humidity and it coming in contact with my skin.