PDA

View Full Version : Anxiety about traveling and hair care

Andthetalltrees
June 16th, 2017, 11:31 AM
I know this seems stupid, I'm going cross country to go visit some family and friends for about a week, I'm very excited about going, But I'm worried about my hair . I really want my hair to look it's best because I don't normally get out much and I want to show it off, But to get my decent hair I have a routine I do with specific products and I'm worried it'll be hard to do away from home. I'm even worried about bringing enough products to make sure I condition it enough(I know i could buy tiny versions but it wouldn't be enough I fear). And we're swimming, I haven't gone swimming in years shudder:. I know once it happens(In two weeks!) it won't be THAT big of a deal, But for now it's bothering me :(

So for questions, How do you bring your products while away from home, and How do you deal with your routine?

Rebeccalaurenxx
June 16th, 2017, 11:44 AM
I bring travel size, and then if I am gone long enough, I repurchase wherever i am.
I use cheap, basic things, so rebuying isnt really an issue. If you're traveling by car and not plane, its even better.
Only reason I bring travel size is because I am usually flying and theres a liquid limit.

ghanima
June 16th, 2017, 11:46 AM
For swimming, I read here that it's a good idea to oil it with coconut oil before, and the chlorine won't damage it. I haven't tried it myself.

ETA: also, if you're self-conscious about the volume of products, put them all in a separate hand-bag or backpack, like this it doesn't feel like it takes too much space from the other things. It's stupid because it involves an extra-bag but, works for me! I would take all I need and more, because HAIR!

Chromis
June 16th, 2017, 12:46 PM
I don't! If the trip is only for a week or two, it is not worth the fuss of washing it to me generally. I just rinse it well after swimming and if need be, I dump some hotel conditioner on it. Usually it is fine though.

I've gone directly to parties from backpacking and canoeing trips where I had only time for a quick shower, but not a hair wash (the washing doesn't take long, really, but I didn't want to deal with the dripping hair after) and I get loads of compliments on hair that hasn't been washed in two weeks haha. People always want to pet it then for some reason because something about hiking for extended amount of time makes my hair weirdly soft and manageable?

I wouldn't stress over it honestly. About the only weird-o thing I would suggest is packing and using a swim cap for swimming. Yep, even at the beach. And yep, you will look weird, just embrace it. Everyone is busy worrying about how they look in swimsuits anyhow most of the time. My swim cap is silver and makes me look like an alien. I have matching silver swim goggles for pools since the chlorine really gets to my eyes. I get comments sure, but usually they are the "Dude, I wish I'd thought of that!" type.

Anje
June 16th, 2017, 01:02 PM
Unless there's a stylist among them, almost certainly no one is going to notice your hair half as much as you're aware of it. Really. People outside of LHC who don't work with hair for a living simply are not that invested in other people's hair, and almost no one scrutinizes others' appearances as much as we do our own. They'll notice it if you've changed it significantly since the last time they saw you (and will probably tell you they love it; most people praise change), but that's about all.

So take care of your hair, the way you want. If you're not flying, just toss your favorite products in a bag. If you are flying, squirt some in those little travel bottles, and plan on buying more if you're the sort who uses a lot of conditioner or something. (I could go quite a while on 3 oz of conditioner, but my hair doesn't really need heavy conditioning and it wasn't hard to cut my usage down from usual even at maximum length. But such things vary by person.) For swimming, I suggest braiding it and rinsing it before and after with fresh water if you're going into a pool or salt water. But honestly, one week of chlorine pool water probably won't do much more than make you need a bit of deep conditioning when you get home, even if you neglect it. Don't overdo the sun, especially if your hair is light-colored and prone to getting sun damage.

Be confident, have fun, and people will have a good impression of you. :)

Nini
June 16th, 2017, 01:33 PM
Or you can just check your bag, then you can take whatever you want, assuming you're flying. But it's only a short while, some benign neglect won't hurt it much;)

Relax, take a deep breath, look forward to having fun and meeting up with people:D

Andthetalltrees
June 16th, 2017, 01:51 PM
I have to wash my hair every other day unfortunately, I wish I could get away with not but alas my scalp would revolt. I am going by car that has a lot of room in the back so you make a good point I should just bring my stuff with me. You're right I should just calm down and it won't be a huge deal like I think it is going to be. I wish I had a swim cap, I should probably get or make one before I go!

Chromis
June 16th, 2017, 02:10 PM
I should mention that I still like to have my hair braided under my swim cap, and hair is absolutely braided if I am not using one. If you are super worried, put in some conditioner or oil it before you it the water. I like the Speedo swim cap for longhair. Lots of sporting goods stores and swim shops carry them since it is a popular brand. They last a long time and are not very expensive, so that would be a handy thing just to have :D

If you were going by air I would suggest experimenting with dry shampoo, but by car, yeah, just take what you like. I would keep it all in one bag just to make it super easy at your destination.

kinnyuu
June 16th, 2017, 02:25 PM
Relax, friend!
I know it's a big time visiting fam & friends and showing off the locks.
I will be visiting my family next month, kinda excited.
I just got a big trim so I am a little sad I won't be able to show that off.
Just try to mimic your routine as much as possible! Travel size, shampoo bars, co-washing with a cheap shampoo.. make it easy on yourself!

laidy
June 17th, 2017, 12:04 PM
I wouldn't worry about it too much! Take your 3 favourite products and just forgo the rest - your hair will look awesome nonetheless!

Kitty-Zen
June 17th, 2017, 03:19 PM
I'm going through this too, I'll be taking a 2 week long trip next month and I REALLY don't know what to bring :( like is bringing both my coconut oil, jbco, and leave in tub overkill?

meteor
June 18th, 2017, 01:16 PM
I always treat travelling as an opportunity for benign neglect and for trying some new (local) products, whether they end up working or not. Sometimes you'd be pleasantly surprised by how nice the change can be. :D

I think protecting hair during swimming and from too much sun and keeping it detangled enough that no matting is happening is all I'm really adamant about. Other than that, I just let it be and try not to have expectations that are too high. For example, it's pretty normal for hair to feel a bit dry or frizzy after a trip to a place with a different climate and/or water. I kind of expect it and just ride it out. :flower:

I hope you have a wonderful trip! :cheer:

(Oops, forgot to mention: if you bring any oils/butters on a plane, please double-baggy everything, it's crazy how incredibly easily they can leak.)

truepeacenik
June 18th, 2017, 05:37 PM
Driving? Take what you need.

When I fly, or need to go lightweight, I use Lush's trictomania. Solid shampoo, complete with SLS. So I'm careful with it on long trips. Lots of coconut oil, which plays well with my hair. Thankfully.

As far as swimming goes, braids and oil. It'll get you through.
I do find an act rinse is nice post chlorine.
Chlorine is basic ph. Vinegar, acidic. One cancels the other.

lithostoic
June 18th, 2017, 05:56 PM
Just buy empty travel containers. You can get them at CVS if there's one by you. I'm sure Wal-Mart has them too.

vpatt
June 18th, 2017, 06:24 PM
Take what you want for your hair and have fun. I have travel anxiety, too. But it has more to do with my husband's driving!

pailin
June 18th, 2017, 07:14 PM
I wash daily, so as long as I'm driving or can take a checked bag, I just bring all my stuff. I did a trip (of the pack light, take lots of busses type) with a friend before I even joined lhc but when my hair was getting long (for me) - my friend's comment - 'dude, I can't believe you brought full-size bottles!' I didn't care. They fit!
My major accommodation to traveling is that I usually only bring one conditioner... And not all the hairtoys.
For swimming, I just oil and braid.

Carolyn
June 18th, 2017, 07:56 PM
Since you are going by car and space isn't really an issue, bring what you want. For a week or two away I bring 4 conditioners and 2 shampoos plus a leave in and an oil. (car trip). I can always buy something extra when I am away. There is always a Wal Mart around or it's a good excuse to have to go to ULTA. I bring a couple Ficcares, 3 or 4 scrunchies, a couple forks and some hair sticks and a few elastics. Dont worry about packing light for a car trip. It sounds to me like you would feel better is you had your favorites with you. I would suggest planning your hair wash days. If there are going to be some special occasion days, then just make that a wash day. Try not to stress yourself out. Enjoy your trip. It will be fun!

papillon
June 18th, 2017, 09:09 PM
I always treat travelling as an opportunity for benign neglect and for trying some new (local) products, whether they end up working or not. Sometimes you'd be pleasantly surprised by how nice the change can be. :D

Just buy empty travel containers. You can get them at CVS if there's one by you. I'm sure Wal-Mart has them too.

I do a mix of the two. I bring along travel bottles with my usual shampoo and conditioner. But if the place I'm staying happens to have something interesting, I will definitely give it a try while I'm there.

lizardspots
June 18th, 2017, 09:12 PM
Try and plan what sort of washes you want to do whilst you're on your trip, and take travel size quantities of the products you intend to use. But in all honesty, I reckon people will not pay such minute scrutiny to your hair as you do to yourself. It will be fine!

Last summer I went to a wedding in the French countryside, and the hot water broke so I could only do an ice-cold fringe wash on very dirty greasy hair prior to trying to make it look stylish for a wedding. NOT ideal! I could have toughed it out and done a full cold wash, but I cannot stand cold water on my head. In the end it was fine, my hairstyle was elaborate enough (dutch side braid into low bun with flower clips) that the greasiness wasn't obvious.

mariazelie
June 21st, 2017, 10:55 PM
Take what you want for your hair and have fun. I have travel anxiety, too. But it has more to do with my husband's driving!

That made me laugh! I totally understand the husband's driving.