PDA

View Full Version : HELP!! Massive tangles!

avoidinreality
October 26th, 2008, 10:41 AM
I rode in a convertible yesterday. I know, I know. :(

A friend of mine was in town from Tennessee and she rented a convertible. I've never been in one before. I can't braid my own very fine BSL hair and I didn't think to ask one of my friends to do it. I had it clipped up and had a scarf on, but the wind ripped the scarf off and the clips slid out because my hair is so thin. Now my hair is matted beyond belief. It's my own stupid fault. I'm in tears. I have coated it in conditioner, trying to provide some slip, but it's not working. Any thought, please?!?!?

ccmuffingirl
October 26th, 2008, 10:50 AM
Do you have a heating cap? That will help the conditioner permeate through your hair shaft and might aid in the slip. Also try combing through your hair while the water is running through it with a wide toothed shower comb. Detangling my hair can be a task at times, but as long as I use a wide-toothed comb, saturate my hair in conditioner, and comb it out while the water's running through it I can usually get it detangled.

gallows_gallery
October 26th, 2008, 11:24 AM
Get a skewer, or a really thin hair stick, and pull it through heavily oiled or conditioned hair, loosening bits softly. The stick helps you slowly loop bits out little by little, then if there is a tiny "core" of the knot that is IMPOSSIBLE to get out, you can snip it, or drag the brush over it until it goes.

I had to do this tonight :( I had neglected my hair all weekend - I don't think I brushed it once. I just tied it up in messy knot things over and over. I got a huge clump of matting (eww..I am so learning from my laziness) and just slowly picked at it with a skewer until it was down to the size of an ant. I snipped the knot out and there is no difference.

Good luck!!!

Curlsgirl
October 26th, 2008, 05:10 PM
I had a lot of that this week from being sick and not feeling like messing with my hair. The thing that works best for me is coating it all over with coconut oil and then getting in the bathtub and working THICK conditioner and lots of it all through it. Then I use my fingers and then a shower comb and start with small sections at the end and work up VERY gently until all the tangles are out. I am sure the type of hair would make a difference but if I try to do it dry even with lots of oil it takes much longer and I break it a lot more.

Poetic
October 26th, 2008, 06:04 PM
I would suggest using a shampoo called Creme of Nature. It should definitely get the tangles out. It is usually used by African-American. I used it recently to get tangles out of my hair and it worked perfectly. You can later clarify if you like.

MusingFrog
October 26th, 2008, 06:10 PM
Besides the other advise, I'd also make sure you are de-tangling from the bottom of you hair up. Get the first half inch all untangled, then add another half inch, etc. Don't start at the top and try to work down. As you go further and further up more hair should come undone making it easier.

Sorry about this though. Sounds rough. :(

embee
October 26th, 2008, 07:01 PM
Yes, for sure start at the ends. It's going to be slow. A bit here and a bit there. It will come, it's not like you slept on it for a week. Keep up hope, at least you aren't classic length!

Amara
October 26th, 2008, 09:54 PM
Don't cry! The worst thing you can do, here, honestly, is be frustrated. You need to realize you *WILL* get it out, you just need to be calm and patience. Put on some nice music, or a movie, get a bowl and towel (or get in the tub) and use a good deal of oil and conditioner, replenishing as needed. I would just use your fingers to start.

QueenMadge
October 26th, 2008, 11:38 PM
I was sick this week and did not comb or de-tangle my hair for at least three days....that combined with sleeping alot and pillow head lead to really nasty rat tangles in the back. I coconut oiled the heck out of it, and shampooed my scalp and then heavy conditioned. After I had loaded it up with coconut oil I was able to carefully get a comb through the worst of it.

Good luck, and try not to panic about it.

Janka
October 27th, 2008, 08:52 AM
I think many suggestions from this thread will help you:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=12968&highlight=hair+newbie+trouble
Basically, drench your hair with conditioner and work slowly and patiently through.
You might also try a leave-in conditioner or detangler (often found in the baby/kid section).
After reading good reviews here, I bought the wooden detangling comb from The Body Shop. I really like it.
You might not be able to get rid of all the tangles in one session. Don't despair! Try it on the next day again.
Good Luck!
J.

Peggy E.
October 27th, 2008, 09:05 AM
Isn't there something for horses that people use for massive tangles, "Mane and Tail" might be the name of the product?

There's nothing like the madcap wind soaring through free-flowing hair to set the soul to singing! But the price for this magic is high, as you are sadly realizing.

Still, in the course of years that have passed and will come, please allow the joyous memory of the adventure - this gorgeous day spent with your friend - to outweigh the price paid in knots. The knots will be released, your hair will grow on, but that day is forever gone.

Curlsgirl
October 27th, 2008, 12:51 PM
Isn't there something for horses that people use for massive tangles, "Mane and Tail" might be the name of the product?

There's nothing like the madcap wind soaring through free-flowing hair to set the soul to singing! But the price for this magic is high, as you are sadly realizing.

Still, in the course of years that have passed and will come, please allow the joyous memory of the adventure - this gorgeous day spent with your friend - to outweigh the price paid in knots. The knots will be released, your hair will grow on, but that day is forever gone.

A VERY good point! I concur!!!